• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of possibly investing in a DD base, my GT Omega will probably fall apart using it. Are there any rigs that will support it? Should I delve into making my own?

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone can do something good with the Project Cars engine it's Reiza so I'm really looking forward to that. AMS is my go to road racing sim so I'm curious to see how they do with that.

Also hyped about the pro 2/4 dirt trucks tonight in iRacing. It's a full circle with them coming back to those and it's like we have a new Soda off road, INDYCAR racing and nascar racing modern day sequel with iRacing right now.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017

screenshot_bz_acura_nsx_fe_s1_spa_4-6-119-17-46-45-jpg.309065

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it belongs here, but the guy is a sim racer and the video is pretty cool.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Billy Strange reviews ACC (warning - both videos are long):

First impressions:

Second video is after 14 hours of game play (far more critical):

Last edited:

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
The not-90s-F1s are available for RE3.

Took them all for a single lap around the test circuit for free and will certainly purchase one... just not sure which yet. They're all great fun! My only complaint after a single lap is the sound. There's not as much depth and detail compared to previous cars. Then again, it's not as if F1 cars pop, bang and squeak.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
The not-90s-F1s are available for RE3.

Took them all for a single lap around the test circuit for free and will certainly purchase one... just not sure which yet. They're all great fun! My only complaint after a single lap is the sound. There's not as much depth and detail compared to previous cars. Then again, it's not as if F1 cars pop, bang and squeak.
Alex H has worked his tail off making these cars accurate and balanced so that each car has its own 'flavour' but no one car should be dominant.

I'm a V10 man although the V12 sounds glorious 8) I believe the cars are based on red ones from Modena.

Not too sure on the AI skill levels as they've struggled with the new physics as are using the same physics as the player. This is unlike AC which uses TC to curtail unruly AI driving or AI using different physics which is commonplace.

Work continues on making the AI better!

Betta Lines

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of possibly investing in a DD base, my GT Omega will probably fall apart using it. Are there any rigs that will support it? Should I delve into making my own?
I used a GT Omega Pro rig, and I would not recommend using a direct drive base on it unless you add extra reinforcements. I saw somewhere that GT Omega can provide an additional pair of uprights for the Pro cockpit (so they can be doubled up) for this purpose - that would make a big difference. However I recommend building an aluminium profile rig, either from the raw material cut to the right lengths (there are many plans to follow online), or using a pre-cut set with custom brackets from somewhere like Sim Lab.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here ever owned a Wheelstand Pro? I'm thinking about getting one to use in my living room for GT Sport. If I do I will probably get a Fanatec CSL Elite wheelbase since I already have two Fanatec wheels and I still have my CSPv3 pedals in storage.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here ever owned a Wheelstand Pro? I'm thinking about getting one to use in my living room for GT Sport. If I do I will probably get a Fanatec CSL Elite wheelbase since I already have two Fanatec wheels and I still have my CSPv3 pedals in storage.
I have one; the WSP is very well built, quite heavy and won't budge on carpet.

I think the WSP is worth the money and it seems as though it's a small indie operation so it is worth supporting them.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
ACC BETA update:

1.0.2 Preview (eventual public hotfix changelist subject to changes)
GENERAL:​
- The .exe now starts in "-nohmd" mode if "-vr" is not specified.​
This now allows direct shortcuts with "-vr" command and reduces the number of required launch modes in Steam.​
- Fixed a crash when pausing the game from the helicam.​

GAMEPLAY:​
- Added savegame system in Career and Championship modes.​
- Savegame feature is not available in Hotlap and Hotstint mode​
- Improved general .json encoding system.​
- Added structure to manage multiple savegames (Single Player).​
NOTE: not yet enabled in the public build.​
- Added auto-saving after complete sessions in Career and Championship.​
- Fixed driver stint status in savegame.​
- Fixed incorrectly forced 10-minute driver stint length in championship and career.​
- Fixed inaccurate session results in some savegames.​
- Fixed Fanatec LEDs building in reverse order (due to a change in the Fanatec SDK).​
- Updated controller presets.​
- Fixes to MP replays (e.g. flickering spawned cars when the replay was shorter than the session).​
- Fixes to game stability.​
- Tweaks to accident/yellow-flag highlights.​
- Fixed a bug of 'ghost cars' appearing in some cases in multiplayer highlights.​
- Added option to customize weather for championship rounds.​
NOTE: selecting "Custom" weather allows the player to customize the weather for every championship round before each event.​
- Fixed end-race cameras and car positions (e.g. back from replay after end-race highlights).​
- Fixed HUD disappearing after trying to play an invalid replay.​
- Revised AI skill levels in Career in various difficulty settings.​
- More straightforward session-end:​
Added status message at the end of sessions informing the player to wait for all opponents to cross the finish line before proceeding to the next session.​
- Fixed ignition turning off when killing the engine during pit stops.​

UI:​
- Added mouse input in VR.​
- Fixed an issue with navigating the MFD in VR.​
- Fixed tyre sets section being incorrectly active when wet compound was selected in the tyre and strategy windows in the Setup screen.​
- Fixed incorrect title in the Championship car selection menu.​

AUDIO:​
- Audio communications optimization.​

GRAPHICS:​
- Added another AA method. Temporal is now more effective against jaggies, while KTAA is more effective against ghosting.
- Revised steering animations on various cars to delay hands switching over too early.​
- Fixed rim speed different from tyre speed.​
- Fixed slow motion rim/tyre speed in replays.​

MULTIPLAYER & RATINGS:​
- Reduced the join lag when a new car model joins a session.​
- Drivers cannot join ongoing race sessions anymore (server settings option "isRaceLocked").​
- Fixed race track status not being properly reset after the race session.​
- Changed the way backend systems store data, so data is still correctly saved even under high loads.​
- Racecraft Rating calculations are temporarily suspended.​
- Rating widget now will correctly detect reconnections. While disconnected, it will simply dissapear.​
- Backend systems performance improvements.​
- Advanced MP options: Fixed the slider weights for night and rain.​
- Advanced MP options: Increased the significance of "clean": Users with higher SA won't see unrestricted servers anymore, unless "clean" is reduced below 50%.​
- Advanced MP options: Increased the significance of "latency": Users with higher SA won't see unrestricted servers anymore, unless "clean" is reduced below 50%.​
- Advanced MP options: Increased the significance of track weights, especially low values will massively rank down corresponding servers.​
- Matching now (almost) ignores servers in race sessions, instead of ranking them down.​
- Fixed CP servers not showing up for a number of user IP addresses.​

PHYSICS & FFB:​
- Force Feedback Post-Processing is now available like in the original Assetto Corsa.
Copy your "ff_post_process.ini" and associated LUTs to "Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Config".
Very interesting regarding the KTAA and being able to use the custom FFB LUT from AC. I remember Lord Kunos stating this was a placebo and wasn't required!​

Last edited:

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
RkqBTMe.jpg

I just received this new Ascher wireless rim. It's using his new aluminum magnetic shifters, and they couldn't be more solid. Barry at the SRG gave a glowing review just today, and apparently Jimmy won his LeMans race using this rim.

I also bought the Samsung 49" CRG9 this week. At 5120x1440, it's over the top but future-proof. I do have my global fps capped at 117 and iRacing typically maintains it at native res.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Given ACC now has KTAA (which a search nets zero information on), here is a comparison video:

From the Reddit thread when ACC is viewed in a replay:
  • FXAA: Nice sharp picture, but produced undeseriable dithering in smooth flat parts (e.g. body of cars).
  • TAA: Really smooth (almost too smooth, dirt on the car wasn't clear) but with significant ghosting
  • KTAA: Really nice and crisp showing all the details - arguably a little too crisp, but not noticable when driving for me.
As for resource drain:
  • FXAA: 90 fps
  • Temporal: 84 fps
  • KTAA: 82 fps

A 9% hit for KTAA vs FXAA however the visual quality improvement is significant and definitely worth that vs other effects.

I also found a comparison for nearly every visual setting; it is slightly dated however it gives a good overview of the visual and performance differences between Epic-Low/Off for each visual category: https://www.reddit.com/r/ACCompetiz...setto_corsa_competizione_individual_settings/

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Holy balls! I didn't know that AMS2 had been announced. And no awful Unreal Engine to boot:) Day one so long as SteamVR support is there.

Melkaz

Oct 26, 2017
Fanatec updated the CSL Elite to version 1.1.

The original CSL Elite Wheel Base was out of stock in most regions for quite some time now as we were working on an improved version. This CSL Elite Wheel Base V1.1 is now ready to ship to customers.
  • Same advanced electronics as the PS4 versions of the CSL Elite Wheel base minus the PlayStation security chip.
  • Improved force feedback
  • New appearance with new front plate, silver top and Fanatec logos on the side
Interesting! I always wanted to make the switch from my Thrustmaster T300 to the Fanatec ecosystem mainly due to the rims but I never liked that the PS4 version of the CSL elite was a better product. Now I just need to convince myself that the CSL Elite is a worthy upgrade to the T300.

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Fanatec updated the CSL Elite to version 1.1.

Interesting! I always wanted to make the switch from my Thrustmaster T300 to the Fanatec ecosystem mainly due to the rims but I never liked that the PS4 version of the CSL elite was a better product. Now I just need to convince myself that the CSL Elite is a worthy upgrade to the T300.
you can use the CSL Elite+ PS4 version with an Xbox compatible wheel and you'd have support for all 3 platforms.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
So the Elite PS4 version will work with an Xbox? Just needs a certain wheel? If so, cool cause I'm about to order the PS4 version just to play GT Sport.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I bought MotoGP 19 yesterday - first Milestone game since 2015!

It is running UE4 4.21 which is .01 behind ACC. I tried a 32 bike grid in the rain on max settings; a solid 60fps from the back of the grid with no frame rate issues.

Betta Lines

Oct 25, 2017
So the Elite PS4 version will work with an Xbox? Just needs a certain wheel? If so, cool cause I'm about to order the PS4 version just to play GT Sport.
That's correct. The two CSL bases are now effectively the same aside from the Sony security chip inside the Wheel Base +.

CSL E WB V1.1: PC, Xbox One if used with an Xbox One steering wheel
CSL E WB+: PC, PS4, Xbox One if used with an Xbox One steering wheel.

The combination of WB+ and Xbox One wheel would therefore work on all three platforms. The same applies to the PS4 direct drive system.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, thanks Betta! I'd rather play GT Sport on my OLED than having to buy another PS4 and try to use a GIMX adapter with my OSW. I've got a Wheelstand Pro on the way and since I already have two Fanatec wheels (Formula Carbon and BMW GT2) and the CSPv3 pedals then all I need is a Elite PS4 base.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
RkqBTMe.jpg

I just received this new Ascher wireless rim. It's using his new aluminum magnetic shifters, and they couldn't be more solid. Barry at the SRG gave a glowing review just today, and apparently Jimmy won his LeMans race using this rim.

I also bought the Samsung 49" CRG9 this week. At 5120x1440, it's over the top but future-proof. I do have my global fps capped at 117 and iRacing typically maintains it at native res.

I somehow skipped this post. I've been looking at that wheel myself. Do the thumb sticks work like the ones on a Fanatec wheel (if you have used one)? I also wonder if these wireless wheels would work with my year old SimuCUBE.

You also got the monitor I should have waited on. I have the 1080p variant and love it but I extra resolution is really nice.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I somehow skipped this post. I've been looking at that wheel myself. Do the thumb sticks work like the ones on a Fanatec wheel (if you have used one)? I also wonder if these wireless wheels would work with my year old SimuCUBE.

You also got the monitor I should have waited on. I have the 1080p variant and love it but I extra resolution is really nice.
I haven't used the Fanatec sticks, but these ones are multi-directional, rotate and I believe also click in. My SC2 wheel base was delayed until next month so I haven't had the chance to try my rim. It'll work on your base but you'll need the plug and play wireless module. Ascher is sold out but I'm sure there are other suppliers.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
Is there any talk of racing sims coming out on Oculus Quest? Not sure how it would connect to a racing wheel or if it can even power them but it would be awesome

Betta Lines

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any talk of racing sims coming out on Oculus Quest? Not sure how it would connect to a racing wheel or if it can even power them but it would be awesome
If they allowed a proper wired connection to a PC (to use as a Rift), then this would be immediately possible. Connecting a racing wheel directly to the headset? Seems very unlikely, and even if it was possible, I doubt the Quest has the horsepower to run a decent driving sim.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
ACC version 1.0.3 beta available:

GENERAL:
- Audio optimizations to lower the memory footprint.
- Fixes to overall game stability and added logging.

GAMEPLAY:
- Fixed a rare bug that failed to turn on the ignition in AI cars.
- Fixed driver swap missing in Race 2 of career race weekends.
- Fixed autosave not storing tyre set wear data.
- Fixed random weather not randomizing ambient temperature.
- Fixed potential issue not auto saving replays

GRAPHICS:
- Fixed disabled driver foot animations in the Mercedes-AMG GT3.

UI/HUD:
- Revamped controller options menu, allowing keyboard, direct-input and X-input customization.
NOTE: old controller presets will continue to work.
- Fixed widget position when the car crosses the finish line.
- Camera movement and look-with-wheel sliders activate/deactivate in relevant camera modes.
- Fixed a bug on the weather page that allowed rain level without cloud level after entering the page.
- Fixed confusing behaviour of random track button on the weather UI.
- Fixed weather summary incorrectly reporting dynamic weather disabled with random weather on.
- Fixed podium sequence not responding to mapped pause key.
- Fixed championship AI aggression being incorrectly limited to 80-100%.
- Default championship settings updated.
- Resume button added inside the main Championship and Career pages.
- Revised layout organization of race-end messages.
- Fixed wind speed not being absolute value.

VR:
- Mouse in VR: added wheel and scroll bar support.
- Fix to the HUD stereo layer clipping with the car geometry.

RATING & MULTIPLAYER:
- The "too slow for Eau Rouge" fix introduced in 1.0.1 is now more accurate.
- Fixed an issue where cars can load without setup (=no ABS/TC) applied / HUD invisible.
- Entrylists can now use "isAdmin" as intended.
- Entrylists can now use "overrideDriverInfo" as intended.
- Added ServerAdminHandbook v1 to the server folder.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Jesus! When I heard that Le Mans is coming to rF2 as official DLC (it feels like it was just 2 weeks, maybe it was!?), I was thinking that stuff would bar far in the future, looong after the Nürburgring.

How the hell is this coming out now already? I remember the iRacing team saying that - with all the trackside objects needing a lot of love - getting Le Mans right takes almost 3x the time of modelling the Nordschleife.

Anyway, looking forward to that.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
MotoGP 19 updated:

eSport – Introduced eSport challenges.
Editors – Introduced stickers editor
Riders – Unlocked "Valentino Rossi 2001"
Gameplay – Improved vibration feedback.
Gameplay – Anti-wheelie rebalanced.
Gameplay – AI Rider skill levels rebalanced.
Gameplay – Fixed physics on kerbs (traction).
Gameplay – Fixed issue about ECU settings in box and race.
Gameplay – Fixed AI behavior in warm-up lap.
Gameplay – Updated 2D dashboard
Gameplay – Added mini dashboard in first person camera
Career – Added packages descriptions in pre-season tests.
Career – Fixed issue about "leg out" animation in career mode.
Career – Fixed ideal line issue while rewinding in career mode tests.
Online – Various fixes.
3D Models – Updated box lighting

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Race Department rF2 Le Mans "Talk 'n Drive"

Sound issues at the start until about 8 minutes into the video. In-game graphics are set to LOW-MEDIUM for those who want eye candy.

I think the in-game graphics when set on the suggested high end settings can make rF2 look fanastic, especially the track, and only behind pCARS 2 for eye candy. rF2's Silverstone is equal to many other sims.

marvelharvey look at those sweet 30fps reflections 8) 13:45 for answers on the AI too.

Track took 3 years to be released; laser scan from 2018 during the race and may be released this weekend or very soon. Le Mans price close to that of Sebring, Nordschleife quite possibly a month to 6 weeks later and there is potential for more WEC type content later on.

The Grand Tour game has taken resources away from many of the stated goals in various roadmaps.

Last edited:

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
13:45 for answers on the AI too.
My 4 years of complaining finally paying off!
Track may be released this weekend or very soon.
They said "Le Mans will be released sooner than you think" and I thought yesterday would be the obvious day ;) However, to be fair, it seems like the hold up is the ACO end, not S397's.
The Grand Tour game has taken resources away from many of the stated goals in various roadmaps.
This information + the Le Mans news has certainly helped clarify why rF2 has been moving along at a glacial pace the past few months. I did wonder if there were really 20-30 staff.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
If someone needs a Le Mans fix this weekend, here's the very latest update to the AC conversion of the FM7 track. It's rather nice.
LeMans sx v1.0​
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kb61kbfjebeb3kx/sx_lemans_1.0.7z

-separated underground box, only with 24h race start (without it: more fps, but glow from tiny holes all around the track)
-AI line now from AlexBfromG, last alternative AI-line in "sx_lemans\chicane\ai\fast_lane__candidate_from JodyParks.ai"
-vao maybe too much, dont like it? just delete all "...vao-patch"-files

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
rF2 build released:

rFactor 2 version: 1.1112
Steam Build IDs: 3921932 (client), 3921933 (dedicated server)
Changes:
  • Improved performance logging to be faster and give more information.
  • Fixed skewed driver labels on triple screen multi-view (cockpit and track-side full-screen cams).
  • Removed aggressive threading as it's not that helpful.
  • Improved timing to help avoid stutters and real-time freezes.
  • Improvements on materials and lighting (see article above for full description).
  • Implemented all new 'digital flags' – for 'Circuit des 24 Heures du Mans'.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is so dead.
Our two most prolific posters from the old site are not what they once were. Big Takeover is AWOL and Betta Lines' posting is probably somewhat constrained by his job. The third and forth posters were TJP and Mascot, who are thankfully still posting and keeping us informed. But esteemed as they are, they don't post at the rate Big Takeover or Betta Lines.

Perhaps it's the rose tinted glasses talking, but back on the old site, it seemed that there was far more news around. rF2 was pushing monthly updates, AC was new and a hit, AMS had everyone talking, PCARS was controversial, R3E was going through major changes and iRacing was a huge topic. These days, the brands are far more established and don't have much to discuss sadly. The only new sim (ACC) has been quite the flop and doesn't really come up in conversation.

So, I guess that's why we are where we are... at least that's how I feel.