• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Our two most prolific posters from the old site are not what they once were. Big Takeover is AWOL and Betta Lines' posting is probably somewhat constrained by his job. The third and forth posters were TJP and Mascot, who are thankfully still posting and keeping us informed. But esteemed as they are, they don't post at the rate Big Takeover or Betta Lines.​
Perhaps it's the rose tinted glasses talking, but back on the old site, it seemed that there was far more news around. rF2 was pushing monthly updates, AC was new and a hit, AMS had everyone talking, PCARS was controversial, R3E was going through major changes and iRacing was a huge topic. These days, the brands are far more established and don't have much to discuss sadly. The only new sim (ACC) has been quite the flop and doesn't really come up in conversation.​
So, I guess that's why we are where we are... at least that's how I feel.​
Thanks marvelharvey.​
It's really hard to find decent stories nowadays as there isn't a huge demand for news which is ironic as we have more choice than before. As marvelharvey stated, most of the sims are established and ACC is not a version 1.0 release and remains very much a WIP. I guess most news hits FB, Discord and Twitter long before the websites that people used to visit.​
As for the sim related websites, it is very telling that Bsimracing is updated the most often & Team VVV is updated very often however they focus on every racing/driving game, VirtualR is dead or very close to it & the same can be said for ISR and RD is very much aligned with Kunos and ACC and are often slow on other sim news unless they have an exclusive.​
Not sure what else we can post if news is slow or the sim doesn't have much of a following.​

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I don't visit this site too much, and I get my sim racing news and such from RD and Youtube etc.

That said, I really enjoy the rF2 Le Mans. Spent over an hour last night running laps with 40 AI through sunset till night and had a blast. That sim has it's moments where it can look quite amazing.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I don't visit this site too much, and I get my sim racing news and such from RD and Youtube etc.
That said, I really enjoy the rF2 Le Mans. Spent over an hour last night running laps with 40 AI through sunset till night and had a blast. That sim has it's moments where it can look quite amazing.​
What in-game settings are you using?​
As for rF2 looking amazing at times - I agree and it's running quite well nowadays.​

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember exactly but I have most settings maxed out but only ~18 cars visible at once. My monitor is 3840x1080 and I have a 7700K + 1080ti so I usually get 100+ fps in most sims with graphics settings maxed or close to maxed. Replays in rF2 can drop down into the 40s though.

Melkaz

Oct 26, 2017
That said, I really enjoy the rF2 Le Mans. Spent over an hour last night running laps with 40 AI through sunset till night and had a blast. That sim has it's moments where it can look quite amazing.

Might grab it tomorrow as well since my Fanatec CSL elite 1.1 is arriving! Shame the price is once again increased compared to the Sebring track. That one was 8,99 and Le mans is 10,99. Ahh well! Hopefully the rF2 DLC goes into sale during the next Steam Summer sale as well. Still missing some of the latest GT3 content and the Reiza packs.

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Friends and I noticed a "new" blur effect in rFactor 2 that seems to be from the exhaust pipes... It's weird sometimes, looks like an odd ball following the car when you pass through smoke. I say "new" because I believe I've seen this a long time ago... We didn't change any settings, so it must have come via the recent update.
It's... weird. lol

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I wish I could change the level of the AI on RaceRoom in the middle of a championship...

Anyway, yesterday I decided to go back to Project Cars 1 on the PS4. It was cool, but gosh, the design choices, the lack of balancing and the bugs are really something.

EDIT: is Project Cars 2 better in that regard?

Last edited:

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Our two most prolific posters from the old site are not what they once were. Big Takeover is AWOL and Betta Lines' posting is probably somewhat constrained by his job. The third and forth posters were TJP and Mascot, who are thankfully still posting and keeping us informed. But esteemed as they are, they don't post at the rate Big Takeover or Betta Lines.

Perhaps it's the rose tinted glasses talking, but back on the old site, it seemed that there was far more news around. rF2 was pushing monthly updates, AC was new and a hit, AMS had everyone talking, PCARS was controversial, R3E was going through major changes and iRacing was a huge topic. These days, the brands are far more established and don't have much to discuss sadly. The only new sim (ACC) has been quite the flop and doesn't really come up in conversation.

So, I guess that's why we are where we are... at least that's how I feel.
This is good to know as I wasn't in this thread on the old site. Before turning to PC sims, I was hanging out in the GT Sport threads where people seemed far more competitive. The community thread even had league racing. I don't know if it's due to the average age of the posters here or time constraints, but I rarely here about anyone actually racing other people. LeMans was a big event on iRacing last week (not my favorite track), and it didn't register so much as a blip in this thread. It's cool to download all these mods for games and tinker around with stuff, but if it's to hotlap or race against AI then it's such a hollow experience. Racing is a competitive sport by nature.

I just started racing IMSA this last weekend and I won my third race (at Monza in the dark, no less). That was an exciting experience, and I noticed my racecraft improving exponentially. Maybe it's due to the GT threads focusing on a singular game, but I'm a little surprised they can come up with league racing and this thread can't, or chooses not to. Most of us have all the sims and have dedicated far more money into our setups.

Am I wrong in all this? Is racing not a competitive activity for most people anymore? I don't buy that you lose all competitive instinct with age.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
LeMans was a big event on iRacing last week (not my favorite track), and it didn't register so much as a blip in this thread.
Big Takeover and Betta Lines are our iRacing guys, but as I mentioned, they don't post much any more. They had some *great* nailbiting iRacing videos posted back on GAF.

I used to race iRacing and still have a sub, but have lost all interest sadly.

My go to sim is rFactor 2
Mascot's go to sim is AC
TJP's go to sim is R3E

So getting us to agree on anything is highly unlikely! Although I have warmed to R3E these past few months and TJP to rF2... so there's a racing chance there perhaps! But we're in the east, so time zones come into play.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Friends and I noticed a "new" blur effect in rFactor 2 that seems to be from the exhaust pipes... It's weird sometimes, looks like an odd ball following the car when you pass through smoke. I say "new" because I believe I've seen this a long time ago... We didn't change any settings, so it must have come via the recent update.
It's... weird. lol
I've seen others report this on the forums. That's a bug I've not seen for 3-4 years!

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
There's LOTS happening in Assetto Corsa all the time with developments in the CSP* and Sol but I'm a lone voice, I don't think anyone else here plays AC. Nobody seems to care anyway. Almost all of my posts go unanswered. I'd post more if I thought an actual dialogue might develop.

for example

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018
...I don't think anyone else here plays AC
I did try to like it, but I believe that from update 1.3.1 I got stutters all the time. Tried lots of things. Posted on the official forums. More suggestions. No luck.
Benchmark mode was flawless, had power to spare.
I started to suspect the Fanatec drivers, changed, no luck. I 'knew' there was something wrong with the ffb and the drivers or my CSW v1, or some corner case flaw.
And guess what... got a Podium DD1 PS4, tried it last week before and after changing the wheel, and it worked alright with the Podium.

I have absofreakinglutely no idea how, but I must have gotten a cursed hardware combo.
(and it also happened with ACC!)

but now I am in an rF2 league and need to focus due to lack of time :(
Maybe in 1 to 2 months I'll get back to it. I even bought Content Manager to install mods and loved it.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
AC is my primary sim and will be until atleast AMS2 comes.

When I first found this thread late last summer, I read through the whole topic and have followed since then. I must say that despite not being very active, this is my favourite thread. The main players here all seem to have considerable experience and knowledge they're happy to share, and seem to have a fair, balanced, well reasoned opinions and conversations. When I ask for advice here I'm confident I'll get quality feedback, and when I can I try to do the same in return. I appreciate Mascot dropping in with stuff from GTP, CSP, and other sources, TJP with his coverage of the various news from the sim world and extensive knowledge of FFB across the various platforms, etc.

I also appreciate the lack of trolling/begging for mods that plaques some other places.

*Edit- I do sometimes share stuff from my YouTube channel here, but not often. I'm not totally sure what the rules around sharing your own content here are, my main reason for not sharing more videos is because I don't want to be seen as someone here just to promote my channel and look for hit and subscribers. For me, that's not the case. I love racing and video making, so I just make stuff I enjoy making. Sometimes I make videos for modders to help promote good content. I'm not concerned with views or subs or anything of the like, just making content I like and putting it on YouTube in case others want to see it too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big Takeover

Big Takeover

Oct 25, 2017
dorgd0jiw.gif

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
The interesting thing of coming back to Project Cars is that me and the bugs are like old friends, like "hey man, whats up? Long time no see! Glad to have you back. Where have you been? Me? I've been around, striving to survive these last 12 patches they released, but I'm still here, bro! Hey, by the way, let me show you some new friends..."

Yep, I thought I was used to all the bugs and how to counter them, but yesterday I was presented to now only one, but two bugs I've never seen before, lol.

TechnicMOC

Oct 28, 2017
There's LOTS happening in Assetto Corsa all the time with developments in the CSP* and Sol but I'm a lone voice, I don't think anyone else here plays AC. Nobody seems to care anyway. Almost all of my posts go unanswered. I'd post more if I thought an actual dialogue might develop.

for example

You're my source of AC news with these update. I download your track recommendations but rarely get a chance to play preferring to focus on iRacing.
Did try to launch AC with Rift S and it's showing anything on the headset.
Never got it feeling right tho.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I am a slut as I share my time will all of the sims. R3E & rF2 are my sims of choice with occasional seat time with AMS, pCARS 2, AC + mods & ACC.​
MotoGP 19 - not a full on sim however it is a great display of what UE4 can do. Runs like a dream (60fps+) with up to 31 AI in a storm flicking up water spray and moving all over their bikes. Images using Steam captures.​
XU3XlA2.jpg

Using UE 4.21, MotoGP has up to 32 AI racing in full rain conditions and does not waiver from 60fps.

lQNRBKj.jpg

In-game photo mode; Steam photo mode.

HuEyy6E.jpg

Wayne Rainey wheelie after a high speed low-side; Steam photo mode.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
People like these videos:

rF2 is using a 2018 laser scan of the entire circuit; AC is a FM conversion and pCARS 2 uses who knows what data.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: is Project Cars 2 better in that regard?
It is however bugs still remain as does the inconsistent feel from car to car often within the same class. If the game had sold better then perhaps the support would have lasted a lot longer. Shame to the real weather feature doesn't work as the weather app licence expired.​
It will be interesting to see what Reiza can do with the Madness engine; Reiza are essentially bug hunting and making improvements for SMS and Ian Bell admitted, as he so often does post release, that pCARS 2 didn't release with all the features and improvements he'd hoped for.​
Regarding R3E, it is better to train the AI than leave it at a set AI strength number. There is a thread detailing this on the Sector 3 forums which I will dig up later today. Initally you will be a lot faster than the AI however after several races they will match your speed quite well. Work is being done on the AI right now and it appears promising.​
Like rF2 100% should represent the real world times or as close to it. 120% is for the true alien driver or those with a set up exploit.​

GAFChuck

Nov 23, 2017

for example

I'm mostly a lurker, but I play the hell out of AC and I keep looking forward to your posts.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Almost all of my posts go unanswered. I'd post more if I thought an actual dialogue might develop.
Welcome to the club. I just keep posting anyway because most of the sites have become filled with vitriol and I post what is interesting to me. I'm agnostic when it comes to news and many people appreciate our posts

Sadly outside of here it's a warzone - bsimracing is my go to website for news; 60 messages on the Le Mans track for rF2 mostly about how it's too expensive or rF2 is shit. Same story on Race Department where 17 pages of largely dross is posted about rF2 DLC rip-offs and rF2 looking like shit before the thread is closed.

I read very little celebration about a fully laser scanned track created in 2018 in rF2. This is what the world outside here and selected forums looks like. I'd hate to be a dev reading this shite.

This is somewhat ironic given that I've posted my displeasure about various sims however I'd like to think it's been constructive and not overt hatred for the sim or its dev team.

Cheers

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
For the one of me playing MotoGP 19!​
Iit appears Milestone have Milestone'd and released a patch which affectively is a cheat for the AI as their tyres don't wear! Conversely, the players wear out so fast it's like they are made out of dry grass.​
By lap 5 of a 10 lap Red Bull Rookies race at the Sausagering, my tyres are shot even with TC set to maximum and limiting wheelspin..AI just keep on trucking like its lap -1. Shame as the game had been super enjoyable until now.​

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
ACC Beta 1.0.5 update:

RATING & MULTIPLAYER:
  • Minor changes to the server ping system.
AUDIO:
  • Audio scale improvements.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Mascot thanks for the link to the updated Le Mans for AC. It's a Forza rip but it's the most accurate version for AC so I'll take it.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
It is however bugs still remain as does the inconsistent feel from car to car often within the same class. If the game had sold better then perhaps the support would have lasted a lot longer. Shame to the real weather feature doesn't work as the weather app licence expired.​

It will be interesting to see what Reiza can do with the Madness engine; Reiza are essentially bug hunting and making improvements for SMS and Ian Bell admitted, as he so often does post release, that pCARS 2 didn't release with all the features and improvements he'd hoped for.​

Regarding R3E, it is better to train the AI than leave it at a set AI strength number. There is a thread detailing this on the Sector 3 forums which I will dig up later today. Initally you will be a lot faster than the AI however after several races they will match your speed quite well. Work is being done on the AI right now and it appears promising.​

Like rF2 100% should represent the real world times or as close to it. 120% is for the true alien driver or those with a set up exploit.​

I think that this SMS/Reiza marriage is really interesting because the strong points of each studio is the weak point of the other. But I don't believe that Reiza can do much regarding bug hunting. They're too small for that. SMS as the bigger and more well funded (and quite frankly, having way more access to skilled labor) should be the ones to be working on that. But after so many games carrying the same old problems, I don't have much faith on that. Let's see if Rushy can make a difference, because Driveclub was quite phenomenal.

Regarding training the AI on RaceRoom, you gave me that tip before and I tried for a while, but I wasn't having much fun spending hours basically racing without a fight, haha! So I usually rely on setting the AI strength manually (I'm using 100 [or 102, IDK] for a GT3 championship, for example). The thing is that I don't know exactly how it works. I mean, when I go to the track and I'm still learning the basics of the car and the circuit, is it recording me strolling into the grass and crashing and spinning like an idiot? Or does it get only my best laps? Is it paying attention to my learning laps (and setting its own speed based on it) or just the qualification or the race? Is it based on every class of cars or individually? It would be interesting if it was learning all the time during the races and qualification laps (but never during the free practices, lol) and not only when I turn it on.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
An excellent review of ACC from Eurogamer (and a man who raced against Lewis Hamilton in karts): https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-17-assetto-corsa-competizione-review
VR support is in but currently unstable, and to get decent performance when hosting a race requires a serious rig, suggesting optimisation in this final release build isn't quite there. Assetto Corsa Competizione has spent the last eight months in early access, yet throughout version 1.01 there's the nagging feeling that it's a few more updates away from being able to declare itself ready to launch.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding training the AI on RaceRoom, you gave me that tip before and I tried for a while, but I wasn't having much fun spending hours basically racing without a fight, haha! So I usually rely on setting the AI strength manually (I'm using 100 [or 102, IDK] for a GT3 championship, for example). The thing is that I don't know exactly how it works. I mean, when I go to the track and I'm still learning the basics of the car and the circuit, is it recording me strolling into the grass and crashing and spinning like an idiot? Or does it get only my best laps? Is it paying attention to my learning laps (and setting its own speed based on it) or just the qualification or the race? Is it based on every class of cars or individually? It would be interesting if it was learning all the time during the races and qualification laps (but never during the free practices, lol) and not only when I turn it on.
I'm sure TJP will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the AI only considers the race. Also, the algorithm that keeps track of your skill level will ignore laps where you make a mistake.

Melkaz

Oct 26, 2017
Man I should really buy rF2 Le Mans DLC, looks so good

Summer is "finally" starting here as well in the Netherlands, next week 30+ degrees. my sim rig is in the attic..Guess no sim racing for me next week :(

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
KartKraft Updated!
5.jpg

Download build 0.1.0.1780 now! Featuring the Herman Tilke designed Atlanta Motorsports Park, this track is like nothing you've driven before...​
New Features:
Atlanta Motorsports Park​
Steering wheel can now be hidden in cockpit view​
Fixes/Updates/Tweaks:
Updated Unreal Engine to 4.22.2​
Fixed spinning chain bug introduced in the previous build​
Fixed incorrect vehicle bounds causing erratic AI behaviour​
VR crosshair now draws correctly in the main menu​
Data logger shift lights now function correctly​

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
KartKraft Updated!
5.jpg

Download build 0.1.0.1780 now! Featuring the Herman Tilke designed Atlanta Motorsports Park, this track is like nothing you've driven before...​

New Features:
Atlanta Motorsports Park​
Steering wheel can now be hidden in cockpit view​

Fixes/Updates/Tweaks:
Updated Unreal Engine to 4.22.2​
Fixed spinning chain bug introduced in the previous build​
Fixed incorrect vehicle bounds causing erratic AI behaviour​
VR crosshair now draws correctly in the main menu​
Data logger shift lights now function correctly​

It looks beautiful. Has anyone actually played it in VR? I'm guessing not so good in VR?

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Managed to pick up a Vive Pro today for $390 (open box). Obviously this will make me 10 seconds quicker while I throw up my dinner lol.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with it?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Managed to pick up a Vive Pro today for $390 (open box). Obviously this will make me 10 seconds quicker while I throw up my dinner lol.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with it?

390 with everything? It sounds like you've never did VR before? So I'm assuming it was the full Vive Pro kit (with lighthouses and controllers). You need Lighthouses for the headset to track properly. I'm only asking because it sounds way too cheap and without Lighthouses, it defaults to 3 DoF (which may make you want to throw up).

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
390 with everything? It sounds like you've never did VR before? So I'm assuming it was the full Vive Pro kit (with lighthouses and controllers). You need Lighthouses for the headset to track properly. I'm only asking because it sounds way too cheap and without Lighthouses, it defaults to 3 DoF (which may make you want to throw up).

It didn't include lighthouse, so I had to purchase that by itself. Should've clarified, with lighthouse included it was 540. Still a solid deal imo.

Any idea where to place it?

Also no controllers. It was 390 for the HMD only. And yes, first time VR.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It didn't include lighthouse, so I had to purchase that by itself. Should've clarified, with lighthouse included it was 540. Still a solid deal imo.

Any idea where to place it?

Also no controllers. It was 390 for the HMD only. And yes, first time VR.

That's still a good deal. I only turn on one lighthouse when doing seated VR. There's a lot of sensors on the headset for tracking, so you should be pretty good with almost any arrangement. I would try the most convenient place (that made sense) and see if there's any issues. You'll know if it's a bad placement and you're losing tracking (cause the screen will turn grey).

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Betta Lines I got a CSL Elite PS4 to play GT Sport. I didn't buy a wheel though as I already have a BMW GT2 wheel along with a Formula Carbon that I've been using with my OSW. How do I get into the Tuning menu of the Elite with the Formula Carbon? The wheel is also slightly off center to the right and I get some weird kick back when going through tighter turns and close to full lock.

Betta Lines

Oct 25, 2017
Betta Lines I got a CSL Elite PS4 to play GT Sport. I didn't buy a wheel though as I already have a BMW GT2 wheel along with a Formula Carbon that I've been using with my OSW. How do I get into the Tuning menu of the Elite with the Formula Carbon? The wheel is also slightly off center to the right and I get some weird kick back when going through tighter turns and close to full lock.
Hi Dave_6, Tuning Menu access through the Formula Carbon is the same as the BMW wheel - there is a dedicated Tuning Menu button next to the display. Centre calibration is also the same on this wheel - you need to be in the Tuning Menu, centre the wheel, and then press in the two joysticks together.

In terms of a weird kick back, I guess that could be a behaviour of the soft lock, perhaps exaggerated by some Tuning Menu setting (like drift mode off or in positive values).

You might find our recommended settings for games (for every wheel base) useful: https://www.fanatec.com/forum/categories/Racing_Sims_Racing_Games

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Hi Dave_6, Tuning Menu access through the Formula Carbon is the same as the BMW wheel - there is a dedicated Tuning Menu button next to the display. Centre calibration is also the same on this wheel - you need to be in the Tuning Menu, centre the wheel, and then press in the two joysticks together.

In terms of a weird kick back, I guess that could be a behaviour of the soft lock, perhaps exaggerated by some Tuning Menu setting (like drift mode off or in positive values).

You might find our recommended settings for games (for every wheel base) useful: https://www.fanatec.com/forum/categories/Racing_Sims_Racing_Games
I liked that kick back on my CSWv1... Fanatec took it off recently and I thought it was a bug :D (there was a bug in a firmware, I reported and it was fixed to this slight resistance on lock.)

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017

Do I have to be out of the game to get in the tuning menu? I tried pressing every button on the wheel at different points but nothing ever comes up on the LED display. Or do I need to hook the base up to my PC to get it to work?

EDIT: Nevermind! Sorry, forgot to look up the Quickguide for the Carbon and I see it now. I bought mine used so I didn't have a guide so for whatever reason I didn't think of it.

Last edited:

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Betta Lines

You've had your fair share of questions on this page, haven't you? Up for one more?

What should I do next?

-I was driving in rF2 (now there's a surprise)
-Flat spotted a tyre in practice, leading to wheel vibration
-Quit back to pits for a fresh set of tyres, however I still had strong vibrations, even at low speeds (like I was constantly driving over a saw-tooth kerb)
-Tried a different car, still same issues (albeit a little weaker in the Skippy)
-Quit rF2 and opened up the Fanatec Property thingy
-Was told there was a new firmware for the base
-Updated firmware
-Waited to be told everything was OK
-Now if I switch my wheel on, it does the rotate-y thing, but never pops up in Windows
-If I try to calibrate it, the display goes blank (McLarenGt3 wheel btw)
-No matter what I do, I cannot switch the wheel off. Once switched on, it's on until I remove the power cable.

Do you think the weird vibrations I was feeling were leading to an internal failure of some kind? Or separate issue? What should I try next?

Pulled rim off base, replaced rim on base. Everything now works!

Last edited: