• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Betta Lines

Oct 25, 2017
Man noticed F1 2019 dropped even though I barely got 1 hour played on F1 2018. Gonna just keep playing F1 2018 and after I get more time logged I'll upgrade prob but right now I guess I havent played f1 2018 enough to tell f1 2019 apart from it graphically.

I did have an amazing time the other day when I rode around some tracks in career mode. Maybe after I finish that I'll give 2019 a look
Daylight visuals have subtle improvements but the dusk/night racing is dramatically better:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
AMS 2 news regarding DLC packs and their price:

The price seems fine. If I could be absolutely guaranteed VR wouldn't be borked and there was zero chance of a last minute EGS switcheroo, I'd bite on the full package. History says I probably shouldn't assume this, though.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
ACC update on the beta build channel:

To find information about how to opt into the public beta branch, visit this thread:
https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...ut-hotfix-1-and-the-public-beta-branch.57636/
Please keep this topic clean and indicate in your reports the version you are using!
1.0.5 Preview (only new entries from previous build):

GENERAL:
- Fix to performance (CPU load) issue introduced in the first 1.0.5 preview build.
- Potential fix for failure to start the game with a particular combination of characters in the username.
- Added logs for autosave replay issue.
RATING & MULTIPLAYER:
- Restored overrideCarModelForCustomCar and centralEntryListPath like described in the handbook.
- CustomCar now requires .json qualifier like described in the handbook.
- Fixed weather/track not resetting to Friday night during an event restart.
GAMEPLAY:
- Fixed tyre wear incorrectly resetting in pit stops.
UI:
- Fixed issues with rebinding an existing control and saving presets.
PHYSICS:
- Fixed Mercedes engine damage raising too much at engine limiter. Additional tweaks for Audi R8, Lamborghini Huracán and BMW M6.
- Fixed Honda NSX too high fuel consumption.
- Honda NSX AI tweaks.
- Fixed missing Porsche aggressive Nurburgring setup.
- Fixed astroturf grip level at some locations on Spa.
AI:
- Improved AI movements when on the outside.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
rF2 Updates:

Latest Build Update rFactor 2 - 1.1112 Now Available

Steam Build ID's
client: 3970530
dedi: 3970532

Changelog:
- Fixed lit signs not coming on at the right time of day (example brake marker signs at Le Mans)
- Fixed some graphics glitches on old content
- Fixed transparent trainer car not visible

Circuit des 24 Heures du Mans (2018) v1.15

- Adjusted track naming. The circuit now appears under "Le Mans 24h" as "24 Heures du Mans 2018"
- Large Performance Pass (Object / Material refactoring, Shadow / Visual Groups, LOD tweaking, Texture optimization)
- Large Nightlighting Pass (refactor of intensity, position and colour of lights and glows to match 2018 reference)
- Added animated Carousel objects
- Added Porsche advertisement to grass before Porsche Turns.
- Added nightlighting to Distance Markers, Turn Markers, Rolex Pit Lane objects and Michelin Pitwall Tower
- Added clock animation to rolex pitlane object
- Added extra trees beyond Tetre Rouge
- Road and Curb Material Pass, adjusting roughness profiles and pass on albedo maps and improvements to race groove effect.
- Reduced grip off racing line.
- Adjustments to ambient sounds
- Adjusted pit exit to be more accurate
- Added practice only audience.
- Adjusted 24h advertising frequency and added missing advert.
- Minor adjustments to some tents to improve likeness to real life objects
- Removed large street signs not present during race in real life.
- Minor foliage optimization around Indianapolis
- Fixed minor smoothing issue on Pit Building.
- Fixed floating media light
- Fixed various minor terrain issues
- Fixed some incorrect shader assignments
- Fixed night flickering on cones
- Updated Podium Material
- Low downforce package for GTE/LMP is now forced. This also means AI will use the low downforce package at default.

Latest GTE Updates:

Porsche 991 RSR GTE

v1.83
- Le Mans BoP (Balance of Performance)
- Adjusted up-shift clutch timing and default damper settings
- Added gear ratio 14/41 for the 1st gear (used for the Le Mans package)
- Fixed headlights glass popping in/out in track-side cams

Chevrolet Corvette C7.R GTE
v1.89
- Adjusted up-shift clutch timing and default damper settings
- Locked differential settings (in line with the other GTEs)
- Slight weight reduction
- A bit more overall down-force
- Slightly lower center of gravity

BMW M8 GTE v1.67
- Adjusted up-shift clutch timing
- Fixed AI bogging down on Le Mans on a formation lap
- Slight weight reduction
- Slightly more power/torque output

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of rF2: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/rfactor-2-the-big-interview-part-1.170416/

RD: We hear plenty about the new UI, but it's probably fair to say it has taken long to realise than initially planned – what is the reason behind the delays encountered so far?
MO: It has taken a lot longer. The first prototype actually predates Studio 397. When Christopher and I were still working for ISI, there was already some discussion within ISI about creating a new UI. At some point this resulted in a prototype built in Adobe Flash, and I remember writing a long post on the testing forum about the merits of HTML over Flash. Eventually, the prototype was abandoned and the existing UI "cleaned up" a bit, but I never let go of the idea of creating one in HTML.
So I got together with Christopher and in our spare time we did a prototype of a new garage (setup) screen. We actually got that to work, but never showed it to anybody. Shortly after, discussions started on the creation of Studio 397, at which point we wrote a new implementation from scratch. Now that's just a little background story for your amusement, it does not yet answer the question.
There were a couple of reasons why we took much longer to finish this project. The first is probably that we in general were a bit too optimistic. The second was The Grand Tour Game, which for us was a huge project, one we had to obviously scale up for and given the tight schedule, that also meant taking away some resources from UI development (and since that was all under strict NDA we could not really share that with our community either).
The third was that we underestimated one crucial aspect of the project, namely the way the UI and engine state were intertwined in several places. This is a bit of a technical issue, developers who are familiar with the MVC pattern will probably understand it when I say that part of the M was entangled in the V and C, which made it a lot more difficult to untangle and clean up the code to replace the old UI with the new. We're almost there now, and I think it's a pretty exciting development!

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Greatvideo in that thread for seeing rF2's tyres/suspension in action.
Given rF2 released in 2013, it shows how far ahead ISI were compared to other dev's as many of the cars featured pre-date the move from ISI to S397.​
It also highlights how much ISI stagnated as SMS, Kunos and Reiza implemented many of the same features since rF2's release.​

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Given rF2 released in 2013, it shows how far ahead ISI were compared to other dev's as many of the cars featured pre-date the move from ISI to S397.​
Indeed. Was great to see those old cross-ply formula cars bounce over the kerbs.​
Oh My 8(

This video caused a salty response from Aris on the Kunos forums (not that I blame him; ACC is his baby). Figures from: https://steamcharts.com/app/805550
Ouch. I wonder how much longer it'll be supported with those kinds of numbers?

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Ouch. I wonder how much longer it'll be supported with those kinds of numbers?

l looked at the player numbers for AC vs ACC and it appears to be a 4:1 player ratio. I believe ACC has sold around 200K copies; AC sold around 1 million units on PC.​

Long term support depends on 505 Games as the publisher dictates the future of the sim. I cannot see long term support if the player base remains really low or sales don't skyrocket. Further, if performance doesn't improve, I cannot see a console version making an appearance until 2020 when the next consoles are due to be released.​

I'm still stunned at the performance gulf between ACC compared to MotoGP 19. The later game doesn't have dynamic weather or changeable TOD which is likely to be a major performance drain for ACC. Did Kunos push UE4 too far on current hardware?​

Meanwhile AC with SOL and custom shaders does 90% of ACC does at a lower hardware overhead.​

Perhaps ACC's savior will be appearing on the new Xbox or a PS5 in 2020 if the hardware is up to it. Interesting either way for Kunos and 505 Games and I hope they can patch ACC to a state that makes most of the user base happy.​

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
marvelharvey I can confirm AMS 2 is on Steam..

2rxhf7d.jpg

No exe as yet but I'm ready for the beta!

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I know the F1 games aren't considered sim racing, but since there is no OT, I thought maybe this would be a good place to ask this question:

Is there any interest in an Era League for PC for F1 2019? I'm starting to play more multiplayer in the new F1 game and I think a league would be fun.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
marvelharvey I can confirm AMS 2 is on Steam..

2rxhf7d.jpg

No exe as yet but I'm ready for the beta!
This is a good sign!
I know the F1 games aren't considered sim racing, but since there is no OT, I thought maybe this would be a good place to ask this question:

Is there any interest in an Era League for PC for F1 2019? I'm starting to play more multiplayer in the new F1 game and I think a league would be fun.
If you don't get many replies in here, the F1 thread might be your best bet. I've seen a few posters there try to organise something with F1 2019.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a level 5 backer of Reiza but I haven't received anything from them regarding AMS2.

EDIT: Nevermind!

Last edited:

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Yes we did 8)

Reiza are overly generous as always. So far we've received all AMS DLC, Reiza rF2 DLC, AMS 2 plus all DLC and another AMS key plus the DLC. Not bad for $75 USD!
Bargain. Great to see a company support their fans as much as their fans support them. It does make we wonder that the last minute ol' EGS switcheroo won't happen under Reiza. They're good guys.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Bargain. Great to see a company support their fans as much as their fans support them. It does make we wonder that the last minute ol' EGS switcheroo won't happen under Reiza. They're good guys.

All of the dev teams have been generous, Reiza stands head and shoulders above all. Although Renato didn't reply to me, I very much doubt a change to the Epic Store will occur.

Get on board if AMS 2 is of interest!

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, I wouldn't mind backing. I would have to pay $100 and that seems a little steep considering how little we've seen.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what Reiza are offering to you for the $100.

If for $100 you are entitled to AMS 2 + all of the DLC plus AMS 1 and all of the DLC, it's a good deal.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ian Bell at it again: https://twitter.com/bell_sms/status/1146730416843288577

"If I crowd funded GT Legends 2 with the original team that made it, do you think that would work out? I'd need at least 4 million to do it properly". Bear in mind he doesn't own the IP.
I remember Stefano saying in a stream from ~2015 that his dream would be to make a game just with race cars from the 20s/30s or maybe 50s, I'd back that instantly. Most of early 30s cars look soo fun to drive when the drivers really have a go at the goodwood hillclimb. Imagine getting a huge, old wooden steering rim and playing on a DD wheel, with good physics it would be amazing.

However, judging by how the few GT Legend cars, that are in PC2 as well, handle, I definitely wouldn't back Ian Bell's GL2.
IF he'd put out a demo with historic Spa/Monaco/Le Mans (from PC2) and a GT40/330P4 with tire physics, suspension physics and FFB he's aiming for... AND it would feel good and closer to how rF2 and AMS portray cars like that, then absolutely, I'd be in. OR if someone like Renato or Niels would be adviser for the handling, then maybe too. Also, if pCARS fanboys get much of a say in the handling in a backer forum, my interest would vanish immediately.

4 Million just from backer money sounds like a lot though.
Why does Ian Bell's character melt together with Randy Pitchford's in my mind lately?

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
However, judging by how the few GT Legend cars, that are in PC2 as well, handle, I definitely wouldn't back Ian Bell's GL2. IF he'd put out a demo with historic Spa/Monaco/Le Mans (from PC2) and a GT40/330P4 with tire physics, suspension physics and FFB he's aiming for... AND it would feel good and closer to how rF2 and AMS portray cars like that, then absolutely, I'd be in. OR if someone like Renato or Niels would be adviser for the handling, then maybe too. Also, if pCARS fanboys get much of a say in the handling in a backer forum, my interest would vanish immediately.
Financially, backing GTL 2 could be okay to be a part of if it was a console and PC release. Many people made their money and then some on the first pCARS. Not sure on the second installment of pCARS as it didn't sell anywhere near as well. IB has stated he is making Shift 3 (unknown if he's backed by EA again as he didn't have good words about EA at the end of Shift 2 and largely blamed EA for a rushed development and all of the bugs).​
I wonder how big the market is for a GTL 2 given GT racing seems to be the flavour of the month and statisitically sim racers ignore hard to drive cars. The Le Mans pCARS 2 DLC is a lot of fun however it is far from realistic and the WR for the classic Le Mans in pCARS 2 is 15+ seconds faster than the actual outright lap record. I share in your view that a demo would need to be offered before I'd sign up. No doubt it would look very pretty!​

IB also went on to say he'd make a rally game which, in his opinion, would be the best rally sim ever using the new Madness Engine rally physics if people were once again interested. Heard all of this before?
4 Million just from backer money sounds like a lot though. Why does Ian Bell's character melt together with Randy Pitchford's in my mind lately?
IB is the PT Barnum of sim racing development. SMS are a talented bunch, however the CEO needs to get off social media.​

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Minor rF2 update:

Latest Build Update rFactor 2 - 1.1112 Now Available!

Steam Build IDs
client: 3984482
dedi: 3984485

Changelog:
- Cutting now results in a drive-through penalty (Severe cutting will still get a stop-and-go penalty)
- Dedicated servers must be updated for this change to take effect
Whatever you do, don't get a penalty on the final lap. There's no opportunity to serve it, so you're penalised 1 lap :O

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
IB also went on to say he'd make a rally game which, in his opinion, would be the best rally sim ever using the new Madness Engine rally physics if people were once again interested. Heard all of this before?
And wouldn't you agree? I mean, the bar is not that high with DR2 and WRC7 as the only competitors and those being on the casual and not too sophisticated end of what can be called sim. I always thought the modern day rally content in PC2 felt excellent, it just suffered from being a rather pointless sidedish.
Not sure I'd trust SMS in terms of stage design for a rally game.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
And wouldn't you agree? I mean, the bar is not that high with DR2 and WRC7 as the only competitors and those being on the casual and not too sophisticated end of what can be called sim. I always thought the modern day rally content in PC2 felt excellent, it just suffered from being a rather pointless sidedish.
Not sure I'd trust SMS in terms of stage design for a rally game.​
No, I do not :) Whilst DR2 and the WRC series aren't the RBR replacement people want, SMS have repeatedly failed to deliver on many of their claims and promises.​

SMS do make engaging releases that always seem to trip over flaws that should have never reached beyond the QA test teams.​

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I see Tim Wheatley has left the games industry; he worked for iRacing, ISI and Studio 397.

Always a gentleman, it's sad to hear that he's moved on as he was great in the SIM community.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Might be of use to the remaining pCARS 2 players:

I tried it, it's pretty bad. So much SoP'ish feel that it feels delayed and indirect, a lot of nothing when you turn-in quickly. It's also very weak, usually I run gain 100 and volume ~50-60, here I turn both to 100 and almost 90% of FFB values are in the under 40% force range and none in the 80-100%.
Doesn't stand a chance against the Jack Spade files after 2.0 imo.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I tried it, it's pretty bad. So much SoP'ish feel that it feels delayed and indirect, a lot of nothing when you turn-in quickly. It's also very weak, usually I run gain 100 and volume ~50-60, here I turn both to 100 and almost 90% of FFB values are in the under 40% force range and none in the 80-100%.​
Doesn't stand a chance against the Jack Spade files after 2.0 imo.​
Thanks for your feedback! The video makes the files sound like a panacea for the overly complicated pCARS FFB. I settled on the in-game FFB as the Jack Spade files didn't do much for me although I may need to try 2.0​
For me, the benchmarks remain rF2 and AMS (thanks to Real Feel) with R3E getting very close with pneumatic trail now added and AC with the LUT file not far behind.​

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Thanks for your feedback! The video makes the files sound like a panacea for the overly complicated pCARS FFB. I settled on the in-game FFB as the Jack Spade files didn't do much for me although I may need to try 2.0​

For me, the benchmarks remain rF2 and AMS (thanks to Real Feel) with R3E getting very close with pneumatic trail now added and AC with the LUT file not far behind.​

I didn't like the Jack Spade PC2 files neither at first (still had my TM wheel then), tried them half a year later with my CSW v2.5 again, liked them more then, but still returned to the RAW setting. Not even sure if 2.0 is actually better or my taste and control-panel setup has changed, but now I use the Jack Spade "stan lo comp DD" custom file and it's quicker, harsher and the disgusting peak-softening/filtering (so nobody breaks their wheel or arm is what SMS thought, I guess) is lessened.

And of course I agree about rF2 and AMS's FFB. I just think that rF2 should have the "how much Nm has your wheel" in the in-game UI and not hidden in an ini- or json-file. It turned me from "this is somewhat broken overly strong, why do people like this" to "ok, this is the best FFB of any game out there", because before, the surface-detail, curbs and bumps were much too strong on my wheel.

And AMS should change the way they squeeze the torque-curve into what your wheel can put out, because there are a few cars that feel lighter than they need to and many that suffer from extensive clipping, especially the F1 downforce cars. Then you change the ini-file for those cars, but some day Reiza puts out an update and I have to change and copy paste everything for the now overwritten ini-file again.
That would be my #1 input for AMS2 development: Car-specific FFB-multiplier and an algorithm that can put out exactly the Nm on someone's wheel that the real car would have, if the player entered the Nm of his wheel and it's strong enough for that.

I should try Betta's R3E settings from the Fanatec forum one day. Tried EmptyBox's settings once, but still preferred my own, which I don't actually like.
Edit: Ok, I just took a look at those, don't think they would help. It's how the force builds up when you turn in in basically every car from R3E, that I don't like. Probably more to do with the tire model, slip-angle vs self-aligning moment or so, also how it's multiplied by more tire load from bumps.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to wonder if I haven't modified some of the ini or jsons in rF2 as I have to turn down the FFB multiplier on every car down to .50 or less with my OSW. Otherwise the FFB is just too much, like there is no way it's even remotely realistic. Especially on GT3/GTE cars that power steering and not a ton of downforce.

I agree on AMS2 as well. I've gone through and changed the real feel ini more than once in AMS then next thing I know I have to change them all again. On top of the outdated 'have to alt tab to change the steering rotation for each car in SimuCUBE' gets old quick. I have other minor issues with AMS that has kept me from playing it very much unfortunately.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
And of course I agree about rF2 and AMS's FFB. I just think that rF2 should have the "how much Nm has your wheel" in the in-game UI and not hidden in an ini- or json-file. It turned me from "this is somewhat broken overly strong, why do people like this" to "ok, this is the best FFB of any game out there", because before, the surface-detail, curbs and bumps were much too strong on my wheel.
Here's hoping the long awaited UI has a feature not dissimilar to your suggestion! Digging through .JSON files is too hardcore for some people and it isn't user friendly. An example is rF2 allows the user to assign a CPU thread for the FFB; this isn't on by default for some odd reason and you have to find and modify the controller JSON file to do so. This can be useful in a CPU bound sim.

You'd think by now that selecting the default in-game settings for a specific wheel would automatically apply the correct torque output for the wheel.

The R3E FFB used to be awful; it is getting better with Alex Hodgkinson's ongoing work. I hope what is in the WIP build makes it to the public soon.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Hey folks, question for the RaceRoom players among you. Is the premium pack worth it for its current price?
Never tried RaceRoom properly but I'm kinda eyeing it because of the TCRs.
I'd argue that R3E has the best FWD cars of any sim and the TCR cars are well matched and fun to punt around.

To maximize your purchasing power, read through this Race Department guide:

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Here's hoping the long awaited UI has a feature not dissimilar to your suggestion! Digging through .JSON files is too hardcore for some people and it isn't user friendly. An example is rF2 allows the user to assign a CPU thread for the FFB; this isn't on by default for some odd reason and you have to find and modify the controller JSON file to do so. This can be useful in a CPU bound sim.

You'd think by now that selecting the default in-game settings for a specific wheel would automatically apply the correct torque output for the wheel.
Another hope I have for the rF2 UI is simplified weather settings, TOD, track progression and time progression. I wouldn't know HOW to make it more user friendly, but no game I ever played had this figured out properly. The least should be that I can see in advance when it will start raining, when it will end. I think graphs like in a weather app on a phone would be my solution: Time vs. sun position, air temperature, track temperature, surface water level, wind speed, estimated level of laid down rubber and effect on lap times maybe. Oh and sliders and save slots to dial that stuff in.
I love driving into the sunset and arriving in the dark, but I don't know what date rF2 simulates and when exactly the sun actually goes down on all the world's locations. Well... that's not really true, I don't like driving into the sunset in rF2, specifically because their exposure setting doesn't auto adjust like the human eye does and there is too much contrast in low light conditions so I have a very hard time seeing anything - everything is either super dark or bright-shiny. It's much better in AMS, PC2 and even something like GT6.
Why does this always end in a borderline rant? 😞
By the way, that the trackside flood-lights in AMS come on with a click and not all at the same time but a few ms apart is so cool, always puts a smile on my face.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
That's great news Dr.Phibes

Hopefully you enjoy R3E as much as I do. It's not perfect but it's been heading in the right direction for at least 2 years and continues to get incrementally better.

Cheers and happy sim racing!