• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Marcel didn't begin most answers with "Well, S397 are focusing on the UI at the moment...". We're more than aware.
My question was answered which was nice.

I've been using the AC Spa conversion with the GT3 skin pack (https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/e-sport-gt3-series.63557/#post-992897) has been a blast. I did read Marcel comments concerning a laser scanned Spa coming to rF2 as a no comment so that's another GT/LMP track to be added at some point.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
rF2 news: Post Le Mans rF24 event statement

Last weekend, July 6 and 7th, we started into what should have been an exciting 24 hour race on our newly released Le Mans Circuit. With top teams and drivers, amazing commentators and some incredible racing action ahead, we had been on the edge of our seats all day long to finally kick it off. Unfortunately, roughly 12 hours into the event, we had to face a decision that no one here at the Studio took lightly.

Unfortunately due to technical issues we had to red flag and cancel the rFactor 24 event. A significant group of drivers and teams were affected by technical issues beyond their control and ours and we felt it just wasn't right to finish the event in this way. On one side we wanted the battles to be on track and not decided by technical issues, on the other side we didn't want to leave our community with disappointment after crossing the finish line.

And for those wondering what is going on with the above: https://www.facebook.com/bacsoj/posts/10155947534786534?hc_location=ufi

Whilst the competitive sim racing world mostly focuses on iRacing (evidenced by the amount of leagues, series, participants, streamers, and viewers), this was rFactor 2's time to shine with a brand new track to show the world what it's like today after being released to the public over six years ago. Unfortunately this event was marred by bugs, game crashes, and other technical difficulties that ultimately ended in the race being prematurely abandoned.

The 24 hour race suffered from multiple mass disconnects, client screen freezes, and accidents with invisible objects on a clearly untested circuit. The organizers red-flagged and then cancelled the race in the middle of the night, chalking it up to a "few technical gremlins" according to Studio 397's Twitter account. Negative replies from teams & drivers ensued, leaving the future of their product as a viable eSports racing platform in jeopardy.

I'd describe a "technical gremlin" as the unforeseen, unaccountable, unknown, and unfortunate kind of problem that can occur in a live event. It would be one thing if this were the first time we've seen it happen.

As a league admin for Virtual Online Racers (VOR), I first noticed these problems in December 2014 and proceeded to crow about it in every Studio 397 Facebook thread I could find.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
My question was answered which was nice.

I've been using the AC Spa conversion with the GT3 skin pack (https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/e-sport-gt3-series.63557/#post-992897) has been a blast. I did read Marcel comments concerning a laser scanned Spa coming to rF2 as a no comment so that's another GT/LMP track to be added at some point.
Yeah. There's bound to be a Spa in the works. Marcel needs to work on his 'no comment' wording lol

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
a little bit too much, maybe? Didn't they have a successful Sebring event some months ago?
I agree that the latest builds have been crazy, though. There were lots of sync issues for the last two months I believe, but last week I had a good league race with no issues.
I honestly have zero idea as to the robustness of rF2's online functionality.

I read the comments on FB and linked the most credible source I could find. There are many long standing bugs that need to be sorted which was highlighted bin the repost on FB and this was also addressed by Marcel in part 3 of the RD interview.

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I honestly have zero idea as to the robustness of rF2's online functionality.

I read the comments on FB and linked the most credible source I could find. There are many long standing bugs that need to be sorted which was highlighted bin the repost on FB and this was also addressed by Marcel in part 3 of the RD interview.
Sorry, maybe I expressed wrongly, I didn't mean to be rude or anything. The Facebook posting seemed a little harsh, though, but I can understand that those long standing bugs can make people run out of patience. And he is right that this was rF2's time to shine, and they bottled it.
Hopefully S397 release the UI soon so they have no excuses left. Maybe that's why they delay it so much! :P

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
All good!

Hard to make out context at times with words on a website 😀

I'd be annoyed if the BoP knackered my car setup and then issues daring back to 2013 kills a highly publicised event. It's little wonder iRacing is the default choice for these e-racing events (putting aside debates about tyre models and car physics).

rF2 will bounce back however this was a major embarrassment for S397.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have some stupid hardware questions:

Would running all my sim hardware through a 10 meter extension USB 2.0 hub ("active" with optional additional power supply) be a bad idea in terms of lag (maybe power problems too?)?

Should I plug my CSL Elite Pedals LC directly in the HUB or keep it in the base?
I like controlling the brake resistance through the wheel menu, but I heard connecting them directly is a smoother and more accurate experience for whatever reason...

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I have a Sim Labs rig on its way, and I have to pay $204.45 in brokerage and government fees. As if the huge shipping price I already paid wasn't enough. This is normal, huh?

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
ACC Updated!

Build 1.06 Update Notes:

GENERAL:

• Fixed a potential crash when resuming career and championship.
  • Added first implementation of blue flags during qualifications.
  • Tweaked MP highlights to avoid unnecessary out-of-track highlights.
GAMEPLAY:
  • Sprint Race driver assignment now matches real-life rules. (Drivers are designated to Q1, Q2, R1, and R2 based on license).
UI:
  • Added chat window on Multiplayer menu screens.
  • Fixed a bug where the player could remain stuck in the podium animation sequence when using VR.
  • Fixed wrong default tyre set when opening MFD pitstop page without going to setup before the session.
  • Fixed MFD not updating in non-interactive phases.
  • Removed engine repair option from MFD.
  • Relocated "lock to horizon" setting from video settings to view/camera settings page.
  • Now possible to save driver profile with a blank nickname.
  • All setup strategies start from 0 litres of fuel instead of 2.
  • MFD now correctly shows 0 fuel to add from pit strategy.
  • Player now receives alert of pitlane speeding in real time, not at the end of the pitlane.
  • Disabled an obsolete PP effect that resulted in heavy GPU load in the user interface with ultra-high resolutions.
  • Pit window message now includes a timer with time left until it closes.
AUDIO:
  • Reworked audio bank loading logic.
  • Reworked pitlane audio listener priority.
  • Improved exterior and blow-off valve sounds for Ferrari 488 GT3
  • Volume level minor tweaks
RATING & MULTIPLAYER:
  • Server admins can assign a free formation lap (without limiter) via /manual start during the wait time.
  • Private servers can set up a full formation lap via "shortFormationLap": 0 in the settings.json.
  • "Setup" cannot be selected as Spectator.
  • Fixed Pit MFD page not always visible in driver swap scenarios.
  • Improved timing accuracy in driver swap scenarios.
  • Session overtime will now be skipped in more clever ways.
  • Fixed HUD disappearing under certain circumstances.
PHYSICS:
  • Fixed Mercedes-AMG GT3 excessive fuel consumption.
  • Fixed setup UI showing excessive blistering and graining values.
  • Fixed aggressive setup selection for Porsche GT3 at Nurburgring.
  • Fixed Mercedes GT3 brands hatch aggressive setup TC, ABS and ECU values.
  • Bentley 2018 ECU is not zero-based (starts from 1).
  • Porsche 991 GT3 R ECU maps between wet and aggressive setup corrected (now inverted).

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I'm impressed with the effort they're putting in, despite how much of a relative flop ACC seems to have been.

However, as far as I can recall, none of any recent updates have been performance related, which is disappointing.
If we are honest, ACC is a WIP release despite the version 1.XX moniker. All of the updates have featured quite a number of fixes that QA would have likely found.

Performance upgrades as well as visual fidelity improvements are both welcome 8)

I'm happy Kunos and 505 Games are supporting ACC as they could have a decent platform for GT racing should they get it all together in the long term.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy Kunos and 505 Games are supporting ACC as they could have a decent platform for GT racing should they get it all together in the long term.

I might be wrong, but I just don't see much interest in ACC (from the sim community), long term. Maybe if they were to add more other content from other official Blancpain series such as GT4 cars, and support for multiclass events, you would get more people to buy into the game.

Personally I would like for Kunos to at the very least fix the issues with ACC (which they have been doing as you mention), then move on to producing AC2.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I deleted ACC. I felt like every time I loaded up Steam, the game was updating. I realized I was waiting around for incremental updates to finish for a game I never play.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I might be wrong, but I just don't see much interest in ACC (from the sim community), long term. Maybe if they were to add more other content from other official Blancpain series such as GT4 cars, and support for multiclass events, you would get more people to buy into the game.

Personally I would like for Kunos to at the very least fix the issues with ACC (which they have been doing as you mention), then move on to producing AC2.
I haven't played it since last September or early October, but if they announced GT4 cars as DLC, I'd probably try the performance with ~15-23 AI cars again (had severe micro-stutter last year). Should the FFB then also be at least as good as in AC, I'd be up for a paid DLC.
So, yeah, GT4 seems like a really good idea.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I have few issues with the actual driving in ACC. I find some cars interesting to drive and others less so like most other sims.​
My personal issue is ACC's graphics can elicit headaches so I don't play ACC very often. ACC is the sole game that gives me this issue; I play UE4 powered titles Hellblade and MotoGP 19 without a problem.​
IMO to draw players back, Kunos should:​
  • focus on squeezing as much performance from UE4 as possible,​
  • transparency in the roadmap,​
  • get the multiplayer to the stated goals of the EA campaign,​
  • fix the rating system and explain it better,​
  • add GT4 and mutliclass racing ASAP, and​
  • hire a game designer for the single player career mode.​
The career mode is clearly an afterthought so why not crib off Codemasters who appear to make the same F1 career mode each year and people love it.​

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
IMO to draw players back, Kunos should:​
  • hire a game designer for the single player career mode.​
The career mode is clearly an afterthought so why not crib off Codemasters who appear to make the same F1 career mode each year and people love it.​
This could do wonders for sales especially for a console port. Completely agree.

GAFChuck

Nov 23, 2017
Automobilista 2 sounds great, but has there been any word about mod support? This is easily AC's best point for me.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Automobilista 2 sounds great, but has there been any word about mod support? This is easily AC's best point for me.
That's a sort of no sadly...
RD: (Question from RealJoe) – Do you plan on supporting modding within the sim?
RS: We will try to give best support for users to share their customizations such as car skins, setups and custom championships.

For car and track mods you will be able to do as much as you can with PCars2, which is probably not a lot. It definitely won´t be a dedicated modding platform. There are several reasons why that is, the most obvious being the very architecture of the Madness engine does not lend itself to it.

That same architecture is actually important for us to protect our own content. Modding is fun, but seeing the car or track we poured our heart and soul into creating along with a considerable amount of our limited finances ported over to whatever the popular modding platform of choice is on the day, not so much.

Don´t get me wrong - modding platforms are great for sim racing, we were born from the modding scene as were many others of today's elite developers. But we´re content creators first and foremost, and we need to protect that value. Besides, dedicating resources to creating a modding platform almost inevitably detracts from making and then keeping a well-rounded, consistent product which is what we aim to do.

Moreover, and because we´re content creators first and foremost, if there´s one thing we stand out on is the rate at which we can output good, consistent content at a fair enough fee. We also tend to keep a finger on the pulse of our user base so we know what most people want – if there´s enough interest in something we can try to deliver it ourselves over the shelf life of the sim.

With that said, there isn´t any measure being taken to prevent modding -if people manage to find their way around it to whatever extent, then by all means mod away.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
I spent most of 2018 and 2019 not playing anything due to work and family issues. Coming back to the scene i quickly found out that Pcars2 was dead, tried ACC but felt like the game is just so.... i don´t know, it just didn´t click for me.

Everything is a ghost town so i tried iRacing one more time. I had tried in 2016 with a different wheel and a different PC. Feels a lot better right now, there´s always 4-5k people on the servers, so i guess that´s the game to race online. I looking mainly to get my Nascar fix. Any tips from iRacing users as to which path to take leveling up?

I feel like everything is outrageously expensive in the game, but i guess i can cope with one car and a few Nascar tracks once i´m out of the rookie class.

TechnicMOC

Oct 28, 2017
I spent most of 2018 and 2019 not playing anything due to work and family issues. Coming back to the scene i quickly found out that Pcars2 was dead, tried ACC but felt like the game is just so.... i don´t know, it just didn´t click for me.

Everything is a ghost town so i tried iRacing one more time. I had tried in 2016 with a different wheel and a different PC. Feels a lot better right now, there´s always 4-5k people on the servers, so i guess that´s the game to race online. I looking mainly to get my Nascar fix. Any tips from iRacing users as to which path to take leveling up?

I feel like everything is outrageously expensive in the game, but i guess i can cope with one car and a few Nascar tracks once i´m out of the rookie class.

All I can suggest to keep costs down is use paymentwall as at least with my UK account there is no VAT / sales tax.
Buy 3 or 6 items together for 10/15% discount.
If you can don't buy a car specifically for D class oval, use the MPRs to get to C and buy then. Check the iracing forums
If you buying ovals look to see if can do D class Rally Cross 8 times a season just to get $4 participation credit as side line to whatever Oval series you run, it only runs a handful of repeating tracks.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
SMS hype train running at full throttle: https://twitter.com/bell_sms/status/1152926541237686272
The next Project CARS is going to be a Revolution. Huge thanks to all of the team who are honing it to perfection. I might rightly be accused of being overly positive/optimistic on occasion, but this is a game changer. It's epic already and it's one we'll ship when we're ready.
Let's see if Ian Bell delivers on all counts this time :)​

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Georg Ortner of Secvtor 3 drives the RSS N-GT and GT 1 cars in AC at Spa using SOL and Shaders mods:​

Comments:
Praises the physics of AC (and ACC too),​
Dislikes the performance of ACC (he's not alone),​
PC struggles to run a 40 car grid with SOL and Shaders patch (i7-7700K and Nvidia 1080Ti series GPU) with frame rates sub 50fps and hitching, and​
R3E changable time of day is at least 12 months away at the very earliest.​

Last edited:

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
The RSS NGT cars are just as good as I thought they would be.

Very slowly acquiring parts for my SFX-100 build BTW. Kinda anxious to get it done but I've got a ways to go. Got to get some more stuff from Sim-lab as well like a separate monitor stand.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Georg Ortner of Secvtor 3 drives the RSS N-GT and GT 1 cars in AC at Spa using SOL and Shaders mods:​

Comments:
Praises the physics of AC (and ACC too),​
Dislikes the performance of ACC (he's not alone),​
PC struggles to run a 40 car grid with SOL and Shaders patch (i7-7700K and Nvidia 1080Ti series GPU) with frame rates sub 50fps and hitching, and​
R3E changable time of day is at least 12 months away at the very earliest.​

Pretty sure performance with Sol and CSP is better than vanilla AC.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
SMS hype train running at full throttle: https://twitter.com/bell_sms/status/1152926541237686272

Let's see if Ian Bell delivers on all counts this time :)​

All things considered, i really, really liked Pcars2. I went through the bugs just fine, and some car/track combos were really impressive. I think the career needs some work, i was hoping for something like Toca Race Driver 2, you know, a cheesy story or something like it. Also, online desperately needs quick races/matchmaking/official hosted races.

I´m digging iRacing right now mostly because of what they do online, and every other sim should copy some of those elements.

I think Pcars3 can be a great game with the right focus and polish. Pcars2 already had the best track and car roster that i´m aware, so i´m sure they are building of on that.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure performance with Sol and CSP is better than vanilla AC.
I believe it does too however Georg is running RSS mod cars and 40 AI at a track designed for 24. I do not know how well the modded cars perform versus those from Kunos - e.g. perhaps the LOD doesn't change as much as the Kunos cars at specific distances?

Georg may have also fettled with CM's various options or installed an untested version of the shaders...I believe SOL is tested to version 140 of the shaders mod whereas a checked yesterday and one can install 164 (from memory).

I actually think it's a great video as you see CM, SOL and the shaders patch working in a sim that shouldn't have changeable ToD settings! AC via CM is the only sim that does actual up to the second weather - the pCARS 2 weather app stopped working ages ago.

All things considered, i really, really liked Pcars2. I went through the bugs just fine, and some car/track combos were really impressive.

I think Pcars3 can be a great game with the right focus and polish. Pcars2 already had the best track and car roster that i´m aware, so i´m sure they are building of on that.
I'd rather the SMS CEO let the games speak for themselves; the Madness engine has the best in class graphics and on paper the tech aspects should at least be on par with rF2 as SMS cribbed nearly everything pretty much from ISI apart from ToD which SimBib/Blimey! made possible.

Save the usual pre-release "best sim ever and we've fixed all the issues" hype and subsequent post-release "it could have been better..we'll get it right next time" for later :)

pCARS 3 will be the successor to NFS: Shift Unleashed according to Ian Bell so you may get your TOCA wish. AMS 2 will be the 'hardcore' sim using the Madness engine.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
It's 200% better than PC2 apparently.
Of course it is.
N2KZylN.jpg

At least Ian's answering questions on GT Planet about pCARS 3 and the naysayers.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have some minor hope SMS might learn from AMS2 what physics feel the community appreciates and applies that to PC3. Could be 300% better then.
Judging by my own experience with their own fanbase and physics gurus, they'll dismiss AMS2's physics differences to how they themselves have cars and tires simulated and not reconsider a single thing.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I have some minor hope SMS might learn from AMS2 what physics feel the community appreciates and applies that to PC3. Could be 300% better then. Judging by my own experience with their own fanbase and physics gurus, they'll dismiss AMS2's physics differences to how they themselves have cars and tires simulated and not reconsider a single thing.
pCARS 3 will be the spiritual successor to NFS: Shift - https://www.gtplanet.net/project-cars-3-will-be-a-spiritual-successor-to-shift/

AMS 2 and pCARS Pro are the hardcore sims using the Madness engine and physics.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
pCARS 3 will be the spiritual successor to NFS: Shift - https://www.gtplanet.net/project-cars-3-will-be-a-spiritual-successor-to-shift/

AMS 2 and pCARS Pro are the hardcore sims using the Madness engine and physics.
We'll see if that still holds true. Maybe in terms of a career/CarPG, but I doubt it for the physics. They have all those differential-models, tire wear that's not bad at all, heat dissipation, fluid dynamic models, evolving track... I don't believe they're gonna ditch all that and it would be mostly useless/unnecessary in a sim-cade title like Shift that would be seen - at least by today's standards - as a more leaning towards arcade physics game. He also mentions, PC3 would still have "all of the sim goodness everyone appreciates".
If they're clever, they'll just build smart, invisible, very much optional driving aids on top of improved, realistic physics.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
I think i need a "eat crow" moment in here. I´ve tried iRacing in 2016, felt like it was an overrated POS, didn´t really get why it had so much success.

Now in 2019 with a good PC and a good wheel i tried the game once again and holy shit, i´m loving it!

I had some of the best races online in the last few days, and i think the game really shines on the Fanatec hardware. FFB is very good, it is one of the things i didn´t noticed when i tried the game in 2016 with a G25.

As a Nascar fan, the game is a must. I still think the business model sucks, tech wise the game is very dated, but it more than makes up for the actual online racing.

Sometimes i tend to defend games like Pcars2 for their sim value, but in the end of the day people are probably right when they say that there a few things that only games like iRacing, AMS and rFactor can provide. I will try the other two once again in the future and i will probably change my mind on them as well.

There is no such thing as having one racing sim for all of your needs, so i guess i need to get used to having a specific sim for a specific series and/or cars.