• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
The Nurburgring must be releasing soon for rF2:

71149520_2620480098002886_266500478743871488_o.jpg
I wish I cared about this track.

That shadow draw distance though seems a lot further than usual. Is this a sign of users might soon have greater control over the graphics? Or that S397 render these images outside rF2?

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I cared about this track.

That shadow draw distance though seems a lot further than usual. Is this a sign of users might soon have greater control over the graphics? Or that S397 render these images outside rF2?
It is a great track for hot lapping but I'm not smitten by it as a pure race track. That said, having another sim with a laser scanned version isn't a bad idea.

The shadow draw being fixed would be nice along with reflections that don't update at 15fps. I say drop the shadow resolution and increase their draw length to mask the issues.

Pcars 1 & 2 has the exact same issue but worse!

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like a Friday release then...

I was wondering if S397 was delaying either the Nurburgring or UI/competition system, in order to make high-fanfare simultaneous release possible. However, I doubt this now. There's no way they would dare release the new competition system on a Friday, unless they are prepared to hotfix all weekend.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much the track will cost? I'm guessing $25 USD.

'd love to assist with beta testing rF2 however S397 appear to be happy with first day bug fixes.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I would have bet money on a 15€ price tag, just because of how much LeMans was and what some iRacing dev said about the workload (I think they said almost 3 times the work of their Nordschleife). By that metric the rF2 Nordschleife would be under $10, but it feels like they poured more heart into this than into Le Mans and the demand is higher, meaning they can charge more and people will pay.

I certainly will. right now. Thanks Dave!

One other thing: The Driver 61 YouTube channel seems to be active again after some longer absence, some great Oulton Park teaching lesson was uploaded today.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to think that they learned for their Formula E mistake, but...
1801 people have bought the track thus far.

I think it's a good value for money proposition; laser scanned track that you own forever. After reading Reddit and few other places I'm starting to wonder what drugs people are on.

DD wheel = no drama
High end pedals = no drama
Gaming spec PC = no drama
2 or 3 monitors = no drama
VR = no drama
Expensive motion rig = no drama

$13USD track = total rip off.

I can't think of another genre where many of the people are total tightarses.

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018

I think it's a good value for money proposition; laser scanned track that you own forever. After reading Reddit and few other places I'm starting to wonder what drugs people are on.

DD wheel = no drama
VR = no drama

I wish it was 13 BRL, but it converts to 55 :P
I'm buying it anyway. Along with the Porsche that will be released later today.

EFdcptNUYAAh96c

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017

DD wheel = no drama
VR = no drama

Can't agree with you enough on this. It's the main reason as of late that I've stayed off RD for a while. People put tons of hours into quality mods and then someone has to shit the thread up with their complaints of having to spend $5 to $10 just ONE time. I let it get under my skin too much but I just can't comprehend it.

Anyways, IMO the track is easily worth what it costs. Super high quality and possibly the best version of it in any sim so far.

Oct 28, 2017

DD wheel = no drama
VR = no drama

I think the thing with software is for me personally I don't want to be spending £200-300 per game with all the content because I buy all the sims and it adds up fast. So whilst my rig is in the many thousands cost wise I can also use it with every new sim without any additional outlay.

Now if I only played one sim then sure the cost would be insignificant but even 8 at only £100 is still £800. On the flip side I don't complain about it, I buy the base games full price to support them and just wait for DLC sales because I have enough sims that if one doesn't have it the other probably does.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
rF2 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup is available:

People are stating it's a difficult car to drive - I'm not surprised as the R3E version can be a total bitch to drive on cold tyres and Alex H from S3 stated that's exactly how the cup cars are to drive.

SunBro

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
rF2 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup is available:

People are stating it's a difficult car to drive - I'm not surprised as the R3E version can be a total bitch to drive on cold tyres and Alex H from S3 stated that's exactly how the cup cars are to drive.

The car's a bitch compared to its gt3 rsr counterpart in ALL the sims it's in... and i'm loving it.

RF2s rendition of nords is just... outstanding. Really loving the cup car or senna on it.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Remember my bouncy gif of the GT3 Cup on the Nordschleife when S397 said "work in progress"?
It's still there, but at speeds up to ~200km/h it looks relatively normal... like a car set up too hard for a bumpier track (the whole suspension is entirely nonadjustable btw ; edit: springs and dampers are non-adjustable, not the WHOLE), but at >250km/h it's porpoising time to a degree I don't really buy.

The tires don't come up over 65°C on the Nordschleife (set to 24°C), which might be because the brake discs must be extremely small - given how terrible this thing brakes compared the GT3 R - and might not heat the tires enough. The brakes feel very "consumer GT3 on non-slicks", but I guess I have to believe this part since that's something relatively easy to get right if you have access to some basic telemetry that I'm sure S397 had. I still don't buy the tire temps though, the cup series organizer would likely opt for a different compound then.

The lock-up/tire-spin lights on the sides of the dash are still not working or rather tied to reaching the rev-limit instead of slip.

But I gotto say, the rear is really fun on the power, easy to step out, but not hard to correct without even losing much time. The understeer, of which you're never really sure how and when it will kick in from lack of front-end downforce, is... well it's bad, but in a somewhat fun way.

Still seems a bit "beta" all in all in my opinion.

Last edited:

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
I went ahead and purchased the rF2 Nurburgring and while yeah, it seems fine, the barriers being so close to the circuit exacerbate rF2's shadow rending issues like no other track I've seen. I'm distracted so much be the hard-edge-shadow moving along the barriers that I've resorted to switching shadows off.

Spent most of my time on the GP track though.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I think the thing with software is for me personally I don't want to be spending £200-300 per game with all the content because I buy all the sims and it adds up fast. So whilst my rig is in the many thousands cost wise I can also use it with every new sim without any additional outlay.
That is a good point in that the hardware should be compatible with all software so the initial high cost works out as cheap over the timespan it is used for much like a gaming PC can.

My point was people with often expensive hardware complaining about an optional $13 USD track being too expensive need to calm down with the insults towards the devs.

Not every sim can offer AC levels of 'value'.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I went ahead and purchased the rF2 Nurburgring and while yeah, it seems fine, the barriers being so close to the circuit exacerbate rF2's shadow rending issues like no other track I've seen. I'm distracted so much be the hard-edge-shadow moving along the barriers that I've resorted to switching shadows off.

Spent most of my time on the GP track though.
It's a great track and probably the best version in sim racing however the flaws in the rendering is very evident as you've stated.

What's more egregious are the lighting flaws discovered by quite a number of YT channels; these kinds of mistakes ruin the hardwork of S397 as it should be fixed in testing.

Then there is the GT3 Cup car; awesome physics (car drives much like it does in R3E and iRacing) however the sounds are Gran Turismo 1-5 levels of awfulness! Add to this no working dashboard lights for wheel slip unlike the aforementioned sims and it's another questionable release from S397.

I love rF2 but it's easy to pick it apart when flaws and omissions are present in paid for content. Here's hoping for patches soon!

Oct 28, 2017
That is a good point in that the hardware should be compatible with all software so the initial high cost works out as cheap over the timespan it is used for much like a gaming PC can.

My point was people with often expensive hardware complaining about an optional $13 USD track being too expensive need to calm down with the insults towards the devs.

Not every sim can offer AC levels of 'value'.
Definitely but I think that is just Internet forums in general these days. It doesn't happen as much here simply because there are less people.

On another not I went ahead and got the GS-5 after the £500 import fee (!!!) took me 6hrs to install the sucker and only got to use it for 1/2 a lap and I'm away for 3 weeks since then :'(.

OB5YJyD_d.jpg

Also Automobilista was messing up my wheel rotation and locked it to 900 degrees no matter what the profile was set to. Not sure if it was a game issue or because I update the profiles to gs-5 and something got corrupted. Anyone else having issues?

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I didn't try to drive an amazing lap here, but I wanted a quick telemetry comparison between the 911 GT3 Cup and the GT3 R version as it feels like the Cup is just set up too stiff to be driven on the Nordschleife, I don't think people IRL would dare to drive it like that.

rf2porschecupsuspensi1kkuh.png

So, in the upper graphs you can see that at low frequencies (should be mostly "constant mid-corner'ish loads"), the cup car has maybe 30% stiffer springs than the GT3 R (calculated it's up to 50% stiffer, but on the front you have to consider that the GT3 R will have a good amount of added downforce to push the suspension down, while on the rear it should be not all that much more).
In the lower graphs, you can see that 15-20% of the time, the load on one of the front tires is 50kg or less because the tire is lifted almost off the ground and over 5% of the time it is actually off the ground.
Fake edit: It could also be partially due to aero front end lift with a big rear spoiler and almost nothing on the front, but I just took a look at the suspension force histograms for the rear and it's just as bad there.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't try to drive an amazing lap here, but I wanted a quick telemetry comparison between the 911 GT3 Cup and the GT3 R version
There's a whole bunch of weirdness that needs to be looked into by S397. Like how the AI has similar laptimes when driving the Cup and R versions, despite their different handling characteristics that the player has to suffer/enjoy.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent analysis TylerDurden4321

There's a whole bunch of weirdness that needs to be looked into by S397. Like how the AI has similar laptimes when driving the Cup and R versions, despite their different handling characteristics that the player has to suffer/enjoy.
I wonder if S397 had access to the real cup car's information? Alex H from S3 had a hard time taming the GT3 Cup car during beta testing and he had real data and his own experience to draw on. I can't remember what he did to increase its driveability; the early versions using 100% real world data weren't fun to drive.

I haven't had a chance to test the new GT3 Cup car against the GT3R but if the AI is indeed nearly as fast in the Cup car as the GT3R, S397 need to dismiss their QA team.

Last edited:

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Afternoon all. Got a question for you - what is the best recommendation for a wheel/pedal set for f1 2019, pc2 - would likely get desk clamped at the beginning, maybe getting a wheel stand Pro in the future. Would like to play on pc/ps4, with a budget of £200-£250. Thanks!

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I should mention that I have not purchased the car myself, but the speed of the AI Cup car is something I've been reading over on the forums.
I bought both pieces of DLC.

The Porsche sounds are God awful..I really don't know why rF2 sounds so crap. As for the AI and their Jedi master car control; I read the forums and anything below 90% and they are too slow 95% and above they are Senna on a qualifying lap.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Afternoon all. Got a question for you - what is the best recommendation for a wheel/pedal set for f1 2019, pc2 - would likely get desk clamped at the beginning, maybe getting a wheel stand Pro in the future. Would like to play on pc/ps4, with a budget of £200-£250. Thanks!
I feel a little bad to always be the guy who chimes in on these wheel recommendation questions, but I don't want to see newcomers left standing in the rain either.
So...most YouTube sim racing channels and myself recommend the Thrustmaster T300 as a first wheel (really smooth and up to ~3.9Nm of torque, but can't keep that level for long sessions). Below that, there is the still not too weak Logitech G29 (~2.5Nm) which is a bit "old tech" since it still uses gears and not smoother belts for transmission from motor- to wheel shaft (but many super quick alien sim racers still use these Logitech wheels, they are trusty and get the job done). And lastly the Thrustmaster T150 (no good measurement, but probably around 2.0Nm), which is already belt-driven and smooth, but it's also weakest thing on the market right now and you can't change components like on any other Thrustmaster wheel.

A wheelstand pro worked really well for me for a long time, can absolutely recommend it.

I think the best opinions and descriptions of the feel of those wheels are still on the Inside Sim Racing YouTube channel and the best technical review by far is in the SimRacing Garage YouTube Channel.

Making wheel buying decisions on the kind of game you want to play doesn't make much sense unless you are really serious (then high downforce open wheel cars are usually better served with strong and quick wheels, but you need something more "sim" than F1 2019 then). Wheel rim considerations make more sense depending on the kind of cars you want to drive.

Last edited:

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
TylerDurden4321 thank you for a really good reply there.

I'm already watching a load of the sim racing garage YouTube videos - they're great.

I'll update you guys on what I end up with. I'd love to get a more serious sim than f1 or pcr, but I'm stuck with 4g Internet until next summer at the earliest so I'm confined to offline career modes at the moment :(

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
TylerDurden4321 thank you for a really good reply there.

I'm already watching a load of the sim racing garage YouTube videos - they're great.

I'll update you guys on what I end up with. I'd love to get a more serious sim than f1 or pcr, but I'm stuck with 4g Internet until next summer at the earliest so I'm confined to offline career modes at the moment :(
I feel like sim starters easily fall in love in Assetto Corsa and RaceRoom Racing Experience on the FFB side, maybe give those two a thought as well.
Assetto Corsa also has excellent real world electronic aids simulations that can be really helpful early on and don't feel as stupid as turning on weirdly artificial aids in Forza or GT (even Project CARS 1/2 and all the Codemasters games aren't good in that department). No real carrot on a string in those games though.

Hope to hear back from your impressions later!

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Oh and about the rFactor 2 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup: I read there is a special Nordschleife setup in the works from S397. Which is the best and probably most realistic solution. But why not have that right at release... seriously.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Try this maybe?

My hearing is fucked, so all sims sound awful to my ears these days.
Sorry to read your hearing isn't good.

As for rF2 sound effects, I can't tell if it's their audio samples or audio engine that is the issue. The GT3 Cup sounds nothing like the real car or the one found in either R3E or iRacing and I'm not sure why anyone at S397 thought it was fine.

Such is the way with S397!

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Oh and about the rFactor 2 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup: I read there is a special Nordschleife setup in the works from S397. Which is the best and probably most realistic solution. But why not have that right at release... seriously.
Welcome to rF2!!

I guess I must have been one of the people who pissed you off regarding the 'its a WIP build' comments on the Cup cars suspension woes in replay.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
If I try to drive historic formulas at the Nurburgring, the AI all crash and kill themselves before completing a lap. I bet S397 tested with GT3s and called it a day.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Welcome to rF2!!

I guess I must have been one of the people who pissed you off regarding the 'its a WIP build' comments on the Cup cars suspension woes in replay.
What? No. I totally didn't know that S397 already specifically mentioned that it's still work in progress. That was good information for me. And what's in the game now looks quite a bit less oscillating than what was in my gif, so it was worked on and they did improve some of it.

Personally, I don't know any Porsche Cup regulations. Maybe it's like this in real life and they're not allowed to change the springs (though, not being allowed to adjust dampers seems unlikely... whatever, back to my thought) and only for the VLN days they're getting a different special setup on the Cup cars *shrugs*.

I'm kinda interested in comparing the rF2 setup with the one from AC and R3E, but I only have tools to get telemetry from AC and not R3E. Is anyone else interested?

In other news: New Reiza AMS2 videos

In my opinion, the first video is very reminiscent of PC2 physics again, but the other 2 are AMS goodness that make me hopeful (or I'm imagining things because the sound in the last two videos is much better, from tire squeal to engine notes).

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Did you read the Reiza September update?

Reiza have upped the physics tick rate from 600hz to 720hz and have completed a similar update for the sound and controller tick rates.

I guess the tyre modelling is the huge unknown; pcars 2 had issues with tyres & I hope Reiza can weave some magic over the work SMS have done. I know Reiza have made mention of the cars feeling better..let's see 8)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big Takeover

Big Takeover

Oct 25, 2017
Hiya, Travis! Hope all is well.

AMS2; hopeful, and optimistic, but enough with all the cockpit camera movement. Unflattering.