• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I still regret the money I paid for ACC and I got it pretty damn cheap. UE4 was a very bad idea.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I had a quick drive last night (before uninstalling).​

Positives:​
  • Free content is always welcome!​
  • AA seems to be improved in getting rid of jaggies on the armco and other trackside options. I'm finding the AA is better without the post processing on however turning PP to low washes out the colours.​
  • New cars are good to drive. The new Porsche GT3 II is trickier in ACC than any other Porsche in any other sim I've driven. Perhaps the Porsche isn't for me despite loving their cars. The AM is a blast and the newly improved NSX is much more fun to drive.​
  • AI car LOD provides a much needed performance boost with a decent sized grid.​
  • The 'updated' tracks are good too although I'm still wondering why a laser scanned Zandvoort needed a driver to tell Kunis about missing bumps.​
  • The car setup screens remains some of the best available.​
Negatives:​
  • ACC remains the heaviest on the CPU+GPU of all sims I own whilst having some of the worst visuals (e.g. awful mirrors & overall sharpness),​
  • Mirrors still kill performance on anything above mid. Even on highest settings they look like arse,​
  • FFB remains a mixed bag. Not sure why nKP and AC feel awesome and ACC is lacking.​
  • Shadow pop in is abysmal; rF2 has nothing to worry about!​
  • The career mode remains a WIP and worse than those of pCARS and AC. I'd rather have nothing that ACC's half baked career mode.​
I'd love Kunos to sort out UE4 to run as well as other dev's have managed as the focus on just GT3 cars is a wise choice for physics and tyre accuracy.
yea, the bump thing is suspect, but we don't know any details (which bumps, new/old bumps?, and when was this in the development cycle, maybe they slowly reworked old Zandvoort part by part to my match the laserscan point cloud data).
You really made me want to the new Porsche.

That David is new to sim racing is likely an important factor here. People who have been playing all kinds of sims for a long time alongside racing real cars and have some technical insights are the most valueable. David seems to have planned to mainly do some chill GTS console racing, which is the likely the reason behind his weird choice of wheel/pedals ...as if he's not spoken with colleagues or looked at reviews about which gear to buy and just went with the most expensive wheel from the biggest brand he could order from Amazon that definitely works with GTS on PS4.

And after watching some non-GTS sim racing videos from him... he turns the wheel in too far in most corners. It looks off/noobish to me. That reminded me then about his comment on corner entry problems in ACC. Now it seems to me like it's more his own fault than it is Kunos's imperfect tire simulation. We should post some of his laps to Driver61 Sim Racing to have it critiqued ;D (I'm a jerk, I know).

I still regret the money I paid for ACC and I got it pretty damn cheap. UE4 was a very bad idea.

Try KartKraft! UE4 can be pretty great for sim racing. Just the processing power for VR is a bit too high to be reasonable at the moment.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Add any of the Milestone games that use UE4 are also a good choice to see what can be done in a racing game too. MotoGP 19 runs like a dream and looks good too.

KartKraft during the original beta looked like a busted pie; nowadays it's probably the best use of UE4 in a racing game.

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018
That David is new to sim racing is likely an important factor here.
Well he does say he's been playing iRacing since 2016(?)... he just didn't have it at home, but played it with lots of different setups (DD, Thustmaster, Fanatec, etc). I have never seen him mention rF2 though.
He explains his choice for TM is indeed because he mainly plays GTS (and that is because he had his playstation even before he had a TV in his London apartment), and has been collaborating with them for some time as well, and got oficial involvement/sponsorship recently.

I don't think he's new to sim racing or uninformed.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Well he does say he's been playing iRacing since 2016(?)... he just didn't have it at home, but played it with lots of different setups (DD, Thustmaster, Fanatec, etc). I have never seen him mention rF2 though.
He explains his choice for TM is indeed because he mainly plays GTS (and that is because he had his playstation even before he had a TV in his London apartment), and has been collaborating with them for some time as well, and got oficial involvement/sponsorship recently.

I don't think he's new to sim racing or uninformed.
Ok... there is nothing wrong with loving GTS and getting sponsorship.
He's still turning in too much ;P

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
It is rather spiffing - an absolute blast around the FM7 Le Mans track conversion. One of the best AC car mods out there, I reckon. And I've got them all.
I visit GT Planet and I believe you have all of the AC mods too.

The more I play ACC, the more I wish Kunos improved their own graphics engine rather than switching to UE4.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I visit GT Planet and I believe you have all of the AC mods too.

The more I play ACC, the more I wish Kunos improved their own graphics engine rather than switching to UE4.
Believe it or not, I'm in the process of culling my car and track archive down to manageable levels. Too many diamonds were buried too deeply in too much shite. I'm finding lots of good stuff that I didn't even know I had, lol. Lots of utter tripe, too.

SunBro

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Speaking of mods, vrc modding team is about to complete the holy trinity of early 2000s lmps

48960938668_0bf7074052_b.jpg

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Holy triplefuck with a side order of christpipes:

Amazing.​
We were told none by the Kunds dev of this could ever be done in AC and yet here we are. At the risk of being hyperbolic, what IIja with his shaders etc and Peter with his SOL patch is nothing short of a miracle.​
For me, these additions to AC exceed what Henrik Roos (SimBin) Ian Bell (Blimey!) did by adding a full 24 hour night cycle and changeable weather to isiMotor 2.0.​
The only reason I can think of the change to UE4 is Lord Kunos believed these additions couldn't be done and 505 Games want ACC on consoles. I think the fact the locked DLC content files can be unpacked and modded in seconds also was a consideration.​
Presuming Lord Kunos still owns the AC engine, his company should hire IIja and Peter, add the mods as official changes and licence the engine to third parties.​

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys. Does anyone here have any experience or thoughts about the GT Omega Apex wheel stand?

It seems like a good solution based on reviews and the Sim Racing Garage review. ta.

Arctic_Fever

Aug 6, 2018
Hi guys. Does anyone here have any experience or thoughts about the GT Omega Apex wheel stand?

It seems like a good solution based on reviews and the Sim Racing Garage review. ta.

I've had one for about six months, and it's been pretty solid with CSL Elite Load Cell pedals and a Thrustmaster TS-PC wheel. It's not super portable like the smaller wheelstands(heavy, cumbersome), but it does the job for me when I need my wheel hooked up. I use it at my computer desk, and it's great as an alternative to just mounting my wheel to the desk and having my pedals flat on the floor. I like that the angle of the pedals is adjustable and there is quite a lot of room on the pedal tray to move them back and forth.

I have the stand braced against a wall so there is no movement under heavy braking, but a few times when I didn't have it set properly, I experienced some sliding under heavy braking when I was using the strongest elastomers with the brake pedal. I think the sliding wouldn't be a problem using the weakest elastomers, which is what I use now anyway.

I have the shifter mount installed despite not having a shifter, and sometimes I use it to hold things temporarily. Things will bounce and fall off during intense moments, so there is some amount of movement through the rig, but it's not distracting otherwise.

I don't have a lot of room in my current gaming space, so it's a testament to the versatility of the stand that I can use it and find room to store it. But it's big and kind of heavy, so it isn't something I would enjoy moving in and out on a daily basis. I usually keep it in place for a week or two at a time, and if I need to use my computer for anything else, I will just reach over the unit. If you have a bit more space than I do, it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but the space I'm working with is only slightly bigger than the space required for a full-time sim rig.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I've had one for about six months, and it's been pretty solid with CSL Elite Load Cell pedals and a Thrustmaster TS-PC wheel. It's not super portable like the smaller wheelstands(heavy, cumbersome), but it does the job for me when I need my wheel hooked up. I use it at my computer desk, and it's great as an alternative to just mounting my wheel to the desk and having my pedals flat on the floor. I like that the angle of the pedals is adjustable and there is quite a lot of room on the pedal tray to move them back and forth.

I have the stand braced against a wall so there is no movement under heavy braking, but a few times when I didn't have it set properly, I experienced some sliding under heavy braking when I was using the strongest elastomers with the brake pedal. I think the sliding wouldn't be a problem using the weakest elastomers, which is what I use now anyway.

I have the shifter mount installed despite not having a shifter, and sometimes I use it to hold things temporarily. Things will bounce and fall off during intense moments, so there is some amount of movement through the rig, but it's not distracting otherwise.

I don't have a lot of room in my current gaming space, so it's a testament to the versatility of the stand that I can use it and find room to store it. But it's big and kind of heavy, so it isn't something I would enjoy moving in and out on a daily basis. I usually keep it in place for a week or two at a time, and if I need to use my computer for anything else, I will just reach over the unit. If you have a bit more space than I do, it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but the space I'm working with is only slightly bigger than the space required for a full-time sim rig.

Awesome, thanks for the great post. I'm also restricted by space, and I do have the room to fold it up when not used (I have to use my desk for work as well as gaming). This seems to be more solid than something like a Wheelstand Pro of which I also looked into - I'll be looking at potentially using it for a Fanatec CSL Elite setup with loadcell too, just waiting for any Black Friday sales. Thanks again!

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
CSP 245 is out now for AC/CM.
New sparks and collision debris look awesome. Grass still WIP (too long/thick atm).

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Any performance hit to the frame rate with the new effects?

Once you've culled your AC car and track list, we'll need a definitive list.
I don't notice FPS hits because I'm always operating in a generous buffer zone above 45fps for ASW in VR. I think I saw mention of a 1-2% FR hit with Grass FX maxed, but optimisation is planned. Sparks and debris have little-to-no effect, I think.

My mod list will still be HUGE after culling. ;)

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I don't notice FPS hits because I'm always operating in a generous buffer zone above 45fps for ASW in VR. I think I saw mention of a 1-2% FR hit with Grass FX maxed, but optimisation is planned. Sparks and debris have little-to-no effect, I think.
That's great news. Shame ACC doesn't run half as well on the same hardware!

My mod list will still be HUGE after culling. ;)
I go to rF2 for a small mod list so AC better be huge!

SunBro

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Not only that but... 50% discount is... massive? LOL

S937 needs that new UI and competition system badly... like... now.

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Having to look at my inventory in order to know if I have a car, track or pack is also a pain in the neck.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a quaint choice to use the inventory system for DLC unlike every other sim release because it's consistent with everything else rF2 makes the user do e.g. manual mod install, manual restart for rF2 to recognise a new wheel and pedals correctly, game files saved in two places doubling the space used on the SSD/HDD, undocumented AA settings etc.

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I think it's a quaint choice to use the inventory system for DLC unlike every other sim release because it's consistent with everything else rF2 makes the user do e.g. manual mod install, manual restart for rF2 to recognise a new wheel and pedals correctly, game files saved in two places doubling the space used on the SSD/HDD, undocumented AA settings etc.
well, consistency is important in simracing. ;)

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
And the approach towards the end user has been consistent between ISI and S397 too 8)

I love me some rF2 however it's lack of polish in certain areas drives me nuts at times

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Reiza are also holding a sale:

73243049-10157888175632743-3804362776734859264-n.png

A new laser scanned track for AMS 2 has been previewed too:

75614130-460750757882253-5302707429849432064-n.jpg

Expect more about Jerez in an upcoming dev update.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Here is the official post: https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/reiza-october-2019-development-update.7088/

I wonder if this is why the pc2 AI run through water unaffected by loss of traction and unaffected by standing water:

"One of the main differences vs AMS2 AI is that while the player physics run the SMS SETA Tyre Model, the AI still runs the old Pacejka Model similar to what we had in AMS1 which was by and large the same as the player´s."

Rain and rain tyres were two things SimBin and Blimey! created for isiMotor 2. I wonder if the Pacejka model allows for rain?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I wonder if the Pacejka model allows for rain?
Yes, they use machines that spray a constant thickness layer of water on the treadmill infront of the tire in the testing stations for this, to get the necessary data.
Guessing that data and making models that then guess the data for you shouldn't be harder than coding the same stuff into the Brush and SETA models.

Btw. does anyone know what Codemasters are using? Probably something graph/Pacejka based, right?

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Links please except for the Porsche 908!
The rather excellent Lola is from Legion. His blog is choc-full of goodies.
Car: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SNpDoAigY087RTAvKtGQJ53uRts0FeVv/view
(some skins for it are on RD, eg https://www.racedepartment.com/down...0-racing-team-v-d-s-skinpack-by-legion.29291/)
preview-jpg.330095

Blog: https://perendinator.blogspot.com/?...FYH5W9u7wXTCOibIkm43mqawKfOq_I9CFuyysWOJeVimo

Le Mans '67 https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/le-grand-circuit-1967.17288/

Plus, the FM7-AC modern conversion has recently been updated http://www.mediafire.com/file/5z1s1prx3oe6pmp/sx_lemans_1.6.7z including new 3D grass shader.
Looks amazing at night.
Unzip the stFlow helicopters and animated billboards from the 'extras' folder into the main track folder. Activate my included 'screens' track skin for more variety with the screen images. I'm working on new balloons and blimps. Helicopters now have lights.
Love this track.
New Le Mans balloons, with help from Slider:
upload_2019-11-5_11-17-3-png.862891

upload_2019-11-5_11-46-51-png.862893

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I think they're in official DLC.

Apart from the Lola maybe?
I have all of the official content for AC but forgot that the cars except the 908 may have been included.

The AC modding community is so massive, it's an onerous task to find quality mods for the other cars I listed which aren't available from Kunos.

i also see RSS have completed their BMW M6 GT3 class car.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
The rather excellent Lola is from Legion. His blog is choc-full of goodies.
Car: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SNpDoAigY087RTAvKtGQJ53uRts0FeVv/view
(some skins for it are on RD, eg https://www.racedepartment.com/down...0-racing-team-v-d-s-skinpack-by-legion.29291/)
preview-jpg.330095

Blog: https://perendinator.blogspot.com/?...FYH5W9u7wXTCOibIkm43mqawKfOq_I9CFuyysWOJeVimo

Le Mans '67 https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/le-grand-circuit-1967.17288/

Plus, the FM7-AC modern conversion has recently been updated http://www.mediafire.com/file/5z1s1prx3oe6pmp/sx_lemans_1.6.7z including new 3D grass shader.
Looks amazing at night.
Unzip the stFlow helicopters and animated billboards from the 'extras' folder into the main track folder. Activate my included 'screens' track skin for more variety with the screen images. I'm working on new balloons and blimps. Helicopters now have lights.
Love this track.
New Le Mans balloons, with help from Slider:
I knew you'd come up with the goods! Thank you 8)

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
rF2 Update:

rFactor 2 V1.1116 Update

Steam Build IDs
client: 4356193
dedi: 4356207

Added "Track Cuts Allowed": You can now configure the number of track cuts before a penalty is given out, in single-player and multi-player. This entry can be found in your 'player.JSON' file.
Fixed number of track cuts resetting after a driver swap.
Fixed an issue where some marshals would not wave flags. This was an issue particular to the Nordschleife and the exceptionally large number of marshals.
Added additional logging to help debug driver-swap issues.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Two additional builds of 1116 have been released to fix VR issues.

For me, the rF2 Ford vs Ferrari movie trailer plays in German each time rF2 starts. I hope we can stop the trailer playing each time rF2 starts.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Did they beta test the build?

rFactor 2 - 1.1116 Now Available!

Steam Build IDs
client: 4361712
(Client update only: servers do not need updating)
- Fixed VR black screen on startup

And

rFactor 2 - 1.1116 Now Available!

Steam Build IDs
client: 4362004
(Client update only: SteamCMD servers do not need updating)

- Fixed Steam client dedicated server crash on start up.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I see my sartorial wit isn't lost here 8)​

I wish S397 luck with their upcoming event.​

Drivers get ready! Qualifying is underway for the 24 hours of Le Mans which is held on the 9th-10th November.​
The race will be broadcast on our streaming channels.​

Race day details: (rF24 Le Mans)
Race length: 24 hours​
Race day: 9th-10th November.​
Classes: LMP2, GTE​

Schedule: (all times are CEST)​
13:00 - Server reboot, only starting driver can rejoin​
14:00 - Open practice (Only starting driver must be on the race server from this point)​
14:30-14:50 - Qualifying​
14:50 - Warmup (pre race notes)​
15:00 - Race start​
Single file Formation lap​
Green flag announced on Voice from race director​
Weather: Set on raceday to mirror the correct weather​

PreQualifying race details
Currently (when writing this) there is a hotlap competition going - if you wish to enter this race, you need to qualify into it, see the other thread in this forum.​

Rules:
Mandatory driver swap​
Max: 45 teams (2-5 drivers each) Each qualifying race will be used to invite the final participants.​

Instructions on PreQualifying:
STEP 1

STEP 2
Make sure you and your team can make it, so you dont sign up, get a spot and leave someone else out of the running.​

STEP 3

STEP 4
Friday we will send out information to teams, entry lists etc.​
These details are not THAT important so before you complain think about it, and since we dont have the final entry list - we cant do it now.​

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
rF2 build 1116

If you want to skip the movie advert from rF2, delete rFactor 2\Core\UIData\PREGAME.avi

Last edited: