PC Version of Phoenix Point (X-Com spiritual successor, crowdfunded game) 1 year exclusive to the Epic Game Store

Oct 25, 2017
China
I mean, the rationale is sound.

If they don't give Steam/GOG to backers, that would be a really bad betrayal to crowdfunding, but wanting the opportunity to fully achieve a game's potential isn't some laughable notion. What's bad about that comment?
"putting the interest of our backers first" besides asking. Also the game was almost done. They said they will just use the money for DLC stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
By their own admission they had enough funds to finish. The only reason to throw your existing and future customers under the bus for a payday, is if you have no confidence in what you produced.
There's a difference between "we have enough funds to finish this game" and "this game will release in the state we want it to, and we are sure we are going to survive after we release this game". As I said given that Chaos Reborn bombed, and that this game has been flying under the radar since it was announced for crowdfunding, it's very obvious why they would be concerned about how well this game would do.

Oct 26, 2017
"We can't violate our deal with Epic because they gave us money, so instead we are violating our deal with our backers who gave us money".

Oct 27, 2017
Q: Did you approach Epic, or did Epic approach you?

A: We approached Epic.

And in this answer, they explicitly say they had enough ressources to finish the game as is:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0psjl/ama_with_julian_gollop_and_david_kaye/eiga8dn/

So, they went out of their to fuck over their own backers.
I thought it was odd that Epic would throw money at a supposedly DRM free game.

Wow, I guess all of that funding wasn’t good enough. Screw you backers.

Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Honesty Unionizing would be the best solution that could happen for developers. Instead of doing what is happening. Especially if the game is crowd funded. If they unionize development studios they would in tern be able to set the terms for the revenue split, and store split costs.

Picking exclusivity after you've announced your game is a good way of pissing off any future player base and sales of said series of games.

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Expect Steam does allow giving backers (and only backers) keys before release:

i mean the wording is kind of nebulous, im sure intentionally so, for valve to have as much flexability on a case by case basis as possible

you could read that (if you were going out of your way to) as only beta testing is allowed and this is a finished product

but yes as metro shows you could of course only give steam keys to the people who bought it

Oct 25, 2017
Its just very....????? Like why not put this on steam first at least then go for the moneyhat so at least backers have something on the client they wanted.
Valve has been pretty openly annoyed at the way the Metro situation has been handled, and has implied they're ready to deploy some sort of ToS change if this kind of thing keeps happening.

Nov 10, 2017
Meh, they did it. It went as expected. Really wasn't a huge point to doing this unless they wanted to answer some common questions and now they know what to add to the FAQ. What's done is done and no internet rage will speak louder than millions of dollars. Some people got to vent, they shot themselves in their third foot, less than 15 or so answers over 90 minutes.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that we did find out was that they signed an NDA when starting negotiations so they couldn't inform backers. You'd think that they'd have more loyalty towards the people whom, without them, the game wouldn't exist.

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Valve has been pretty openly annoyed at the way the Metro situation has been handled, and has implied they're ready to deploy some sort of ToS change if this kind of thing keeps happening.
Why not just deploy/update the ToS straight up instead of a wait and see approach? Like really, enough with the 'Valve Time'.

getting a refund and i'll see if i give a shit about this in a year.
I think you're better off introducing XCOM or any similar game to it, to a friend or relative and just having fun going through the game(s) as your units fail to take down an enemy while at 100% accuracy/aiming.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that we did find out was that they signed an NDA when starting negotiations so they couldn't inform backers. You'd think that they'd have more loyalty towards the people whom, without them, the game wouldn't exist.
You'd think they'd do any number of common sense things before engaging with this deal.

Oct 25, 2017
Why not just deploy/update the ToS straight up instead of a wait and see approach? Like really, enough with the 'Valve Time'.

I think you're better off introducing XCOM or any similar game to it, to a friend or relative and just having fun going through the game(s) as your units fail to take down an enemy while at 100% accuracy/aiming.
That classic xcom feeling, better when the units are standing right next to each other and your gun is clipping through the head of their model lol

Dec 12, 2018
There's a difference between "we have enough funds to finish this game" and "this game will release in the state we want it to, and we are sure we are going to survive after we release this game". As I said given that Chaos Reborn bombed, and that this game has been flying under the radar since it was announced for crowdfunding, it's very obvious why they would be concerned about how well this game would do.
So Chaos Reborn bombed... and Gollop went to crowdfunding on the basis of a) nostalgia for XCOM of old, and b) a striking similarity to the well-received modern reboot. He makes 150% of what he asked for. Then continues to take Steam and GOG preorders throughout development. Then pulls this? If he was worried that CR didn't attract his old fans, he's certainly not hesitant to toss their goodwill away now.

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I have never lost respect for a person as fast as i did with Gollop. And that respect was built from decades of enjoying his UFO games. I am happy for him that he finally made it so he will not need my money to help him feed his family.

I do not believe the 3% they claim. They are not to be trusted at all.

Also, his game is published from a publisher that employs pedophile/nazi enablers as a bonus reason not to buy. Misinformation corrected.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I have never lost respect for a person as fast as i did with Gollop. And that respect was built from decades of enjoying his UFO games. I am happy for him that he finally made it so he will not need my money to help him feed his family.

I do not believe the 3% they claim. They are not to be trusted at all.
Well if anything, expect that 3% to increase after this AMA =X

Oct 25, 2017
They basically peaced out after like 5 answers (repeated a few times) to some softball questions right? Basically nothing was revealed here other than the fact that they really did not think this deal through and just wanted the money. cool.

Oct 25, 2017
Feel bad for the backers. Even if the devs had the best intentions they should've asked the backers first. At least they're giving out refunds.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still playing Hades, I enjoyed Metro Exodus and I probably will pick up Phoenix Points after checking it out via Game Pass first (I prefer such games on PC). Glad I don't really use any Steam features in games I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm still playing Hades, I enjoyed Metro Exodus and I probably will pick up Phoenix Points after checking it out via Game Pass first (I prefer such games on PC). Glad I don't really use any Steam features in games I guess.
It's not only about the features for me, I end up not using them in some games, it's about this being a very shit way to force themselves (Epic) into the PC market. I'd like to be playing Phoenix Point but I know I won't, Xenonauts 2 will have to be enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Norway.
So you don' use chat, no Steam overlay, no cloud saves, no controller, no screenshots, nothing?

Btw, you realize you support the scummy assholes at Epic, right? They are making monopoly.