• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017

Was available for preorder before for a Steam or GOG key. Refunds will be available if buyers aren't happy with this.

Also of note:

Phoenix Point had a Fig campaign: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point

An update regarding keys:

they updated the official faq too:

Where will I be able to play Phoenix Point on PC and Mac? Will the game ever be released on Steam, GOG.com or through other third-party outlets?

Part of our arrangement with Epic is a one year-exclusivity period on PC and Mac through the Epic Games Store. One year after release, we'll be able to distribute the game through other third-party stores, such as Steam and GOG.com. All backers up to this point will also STILL receive a Steam or GOG key after the 1 year exclusivity period.

https://phoenixpoint.info/epicfaq?_ga=2.125820042.1898538789.1552414257-1678385940.1552414257

Last edited:

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the epic store that much but games where you could preorder previously on other stores and then got removed (metro, this) go immediately to the shit list.

also, people paid for a fucking steam key, this is false advertisement and maybe liable for a lawsuit?

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the epic store that much but games where you could preorder previously on other stores and then got removed (metro, this) go immediately to the shit list.

also, people paid for a fucking steam key, this is false advertisement and maybe liable for a lawsuit?
A lawsuit that will be dismissed in minutes because they offered a refund.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's absolutely bullshit, Advertising that your game will be on gog and steam with a crowdfunding campaign than get moneyhatted from epic game store. I hope it loses any goodwill it has. I hope we don't hear them complaining about sales.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Updated Thread Title - just adding what kind of game it is and the fact that it was crowdfunded.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That's pretty shit of the dev to do if backers still need to wait for Steam/GoG. Dunno why they didn't just make the steam release backer only for now.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I think I'm taking the refund. I can keep playing Long War for a year if I'm in the mood for it.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
5vTuq4E.png

aham

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I want to know how they're going to deal with the investors since it was on Fig.

Do they just get to deal with not being released on the biggest pc store and told to suck it up? They probably aren't being paid any of the epic money so it seems to me they're really screwing them over.

They have expectations on sales numbers and dividends that will no longer be even close to correct.

You can't just say oops and refund their $10,000 or whatever it was an investment not a kickstarter-esque pre order.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Can't really complain much if they're offering refunds. Still sucks though.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that, because of this deal, they will be giving preorders and backers 1 year of free DLC.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
What's really annoying about this is that many of the people who asked for Steam Keys actually helped pay to get this game made.

Guess that means Shenmue III isn't safe either.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be like this for almost every major indie game, and plenty of majors.

Fortunately, my backlog's long enough to wait out the year.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Per Wikipedia:

Phoenix Point was expected to be released in the fourth quarter of 2018 through Steam and GOG for Microsoft Windows, macOS, and Linux platforms.

So, uh, about those last two

+ Will the game be available on Linux / Mac?
We are releasing versions for PC Windows and Mac OS at launch. We are currently not supporting Linux.

I guess they can't release linux because Epic does not support it?

wulfmatik

Dec 7, 2018
This is getting so ridiculous and I was excited for this game. A real bummer that more devs are taking this route with their game releases.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That's a real kick in the teeth to the Fig backers too, no? I'm assuming whatever money Epic paid doesn't get sent out

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I backed this shit.

*Sigh* Fine I'll get it on Epic. Fuck this noise. That money hat better make the game several times better.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Another game. Another year with deeeeeeep discounts. Shame.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind the epic store that much but games where you could preorder previously on other stores and then got removed (metro, this) go immediately to the shit list?
This is where I land. I had no attention on this game, might have gotten it from word-of-mouth around release, and will now avoid purely because I think this is shitty practice.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
That's a real kick in the teeth to the Fig backers too, no? I'm assuming whatever money Epic paid doesn't get sent out
according to this: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ing-breaks-usd2-million-heres-how-it-was-done
In the end, Phoenix Point raised $484,000 from investment funding and $454,077 from rewards funding.
The investors get a percent of sales. I dunno how you make that work with a single, not steam, store and expect people to be happy.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Nice, fuck them. Would've picked this up day one but I'm not going to play ball with these kinds of decisions.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
The "funniest" thing is, without people backing the game for steam and gog keys, there probably wouldn't even be a game to moneyhat for epic in the first place.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crowdfunded games making these moves are extra extra shitty and deserve to get shit for it. People bought in expecting DRM free GOG key or a Steam key. Moneyhatting these games after customers were advertised something else shows just how shitty the ethics of these devs are.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

1. Fig will receive 50% of sales receipts until it receives 1.36x amount provided to the Developer; and thereafter
  2. Fig will receive 25% of sales receipts until (i) Fig receives 3.0x the amount provided to the Developer or (ii) 3 years after the commercial launch of the game, whichever occurs first.
I guess that's a no. Especially if it's partially cash advance on sales that they won't get money from. (And gamepass plays)

Is there a Fig update about this?

Nope.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
FUCK OFF
FUCKING FUCK THIS

I'll be getting my refund request in
oooh Epic is going to make 2019 rough going >_<

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not against EGS, but this does seem pretty scummy to take funding for a widely distributed game, then locking into the store that gives the creators more money at the expense of the people funding the project.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Spiritual successor? As in, same devs, essentially same game, but different name? Why not just make another xcom title? Oh yeah, I don't give a shit about what store it's on.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I find stupid is that they literally used the Steam community to get this thing rolling by word of mouth for many. Way to abuse the system and walk away for a year.