• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
FTFY

Don't get me wrong. This place is probably better than lots of other places but I have seen people on here getting mad at devs for using Unity as an engine rather than UE4 which has a "save as .switch" function.

I mean, it's all relative, right? Yes, there are people here who get up in arms at silly things, use "lazy devs" rhetoric etc.. But I'm talking about the overall trajectory of the community compared to something like Reddit, GAF, 4chan and the like.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that Era should be taken as representative of the PC gaming at all.

Most of the people on that poll are almost certainly console only gamers who have no interest in PC gaming or the issues with the Epic Store.

PC gaming Era is a minority.

Yeah, while personally I have no problems buying from any store that offers regional pricing (as EGS does) but this point still stands. ERA is woefully out of touch with the PC gaming at large. There were people in the Halo MCC thread who thought the Windows store was not going to be a problem if Halo was exclusive to it. Thankfully even MS themselves saw the problem there.

This site has a very heavy console bias.

Unfortunately, this isn't possible. It's already been confirmed that Valve requires developers not to treat its customers as second-class citizens by offering a lower MSRP or additional (in-game) features on other stores.

I am sure there has to be a workaround for this. Offer a Epic store version of the game which maybe strips out a couple of bits DLC clothing or whatever (so the version Epic store is selling contains "less content") and can be priced for less.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I sometimes forget about the comma usage in Russian myself (way different from English). It should sound like this if that's what he thinks the tweet intends to say.

'The most remarkable thing about the whole EGS movement/situation* is that (the) gamers who have all gotten used to developers/publishers owing them something are surprised to see that unpleasant aggressive assholes with hysterical demands are sometimes told to fuck off anyway.'

It's abbreviated and I wouldn't read it that way myself, but it's whatever you see in it. (I did not read it as геймеры (gamers) with an implied которые (which/that) afterwards). In my eyes, it's more like a parenthetical and I would've interpreted it closer to what Ales wrote.

* this is probably some slang that I'm not getting

But regardless, the meaning is largely the same. It's still an entitled gaming rant. Still salty. Still not a great look.
Shitty PR person gets DESTROYED with FACTS AND LOGIC by forumposter.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I wouldn't be surprised if they underestimated the backlash. But that's part of the deal.

Marketing people always think they can "spin" things positively. I've seen it again and again in places where I've worked and other companies.
I've even seen the axing of a popular bonus program spun in a positive light "to improve the services for the customers and make them less confusing".
Nobody bought it of course and they lost customers en masse.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Galyonkin isn't just a pr person. He is the director of publishing for the epic games store.

Back to Phoenix Point for a second, the fact that the devs keep changing their terms for backers clearly signals to me they weren't ready for this level of backlash.

Yeah, while personally I have no problems buying from any store that offers regional pricing (as EGS does) but this point still stands. ERA is woefully out of touch with the PC gaming at large. There were people in the Halo MCC thread who thought the Windows store was not going to be a problem if Halo was exclusive to it. Thankfully even MS themselves saw the problem there.

There is definitely some irony where MS figured out to go where the users are instead of forcing the users to come to you.

The EGS may be a big success in the future, but it won't be because of brute force tactics. It will be because it is the better option.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marketing people always think they can "spin" things positively. I've seen it again and again in places where I've worked and other companies.
I've even seen the axing of a popular bonus program spun in a positive light "to improve the services for the customers and make them less confusing".
Nobody bought it of course and they lost customers en masse.

The realest thing I have read in this thread. LOL. Never underestimate the ability of the marketing team to overestimate themselves.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
It applies to all services (such as UPlay, EGS, Origin etc., not key sellers like GMG AFAIK) that you cannot have a lower MSRP or additional features. Like, you can't have two exclusive levels on another service that Steam users cannot access. AFAIK you can have preorder specials and the like, but you cannot say "This game retails for $60 on Steam but has a base price of $50 on our store." (Note that Metro doesn't count, as it was removed from Steam when it moved to EGS at the reduced price.)

If there are examples of either happening, I'm certainly open to being proven wrong!

Valve provides the same free bandwidth and services to customers activating a Steam key that it provides to customers buying a license on Steam. We ask you to treat Steam customers no worse than customers buying Steam keys outside of Steam. While there is no fee to generate keys on Steam, we ask that partners use the service judiciously.

You should use keys to sell your game on other stores in a similar way to how you sell your game on Steam. It is important that you don't give Steam customers a worse deal.

It's talking just about steam keys.

At least in EU, sometimes GoG and Steam do some times have different prices, so it also does happen in practice.

YbIYdiq.png

x2ySmjg.png

4BiMsJ4.png

YjtwFyq.png

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL. Less than 24hrs ago it was, "Backers, here's your Epic key. We'll launch on Steam/GOG next year."

All this backpedaling reads like they're in full-on, panicked Damage Control Mode.

Love to be a fly on the wall at their offices. Wearing a flame suit, of course.

I would be very leery of any promises of "further support" considering Gollop's last project, Chaos Reborn, has been left to rot and KS backers didnt get all their promised rewards.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Man im not familiar with Reddit setup at all. Is there a way to filter only comments by the mods/creator?

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0psjl/ama_with_julian_gollop_and_david_kaye/eig95qe/
Free DLC - with the new influx of money, will the missed funding goals from the Fig be implemented as part of the free DLC? The sea missions, floating bases etc?
Julian Gollop said:
Yes - all the proposed DLC from the Fig campaign will be implemented, plus more. We plan at least 3 major DLC packs which include new missions, storylines, aliens, equipment etc. Backers who ordered the living weapons/armour sets will get those as an exclusive DLC pack in addition. We will be supporting the game with extra content as soon as possible after release and throughout the following year. We are definitely in it for the long haul.
Great news! I was disappointed when those stretch goals weren't met.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
LOL @ only answering softball questions, don't know what else I expected
Also, having to hand over your bank details to get a refund, what a shit show

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Question: Backers who backed the game from China can't even install the Epic Launcher, since Epic Games actively blocks the Launcher there. Why do they have to wait 1 year now because you decided that?
How could I, as a backer, even play the game in China? I could easily do it via GOG or Steam.

daedalus2
Business Guy-1 points·2 minutes ago

We're looking into our options for China right now, and hope to have something to share on that topic soon.

_ _ _ _

REALLY A WELL THOUGHT OUT DEAL

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
"Fortunately, we have a product for people who live in China, it's called shutting the fuck up and waiting a year"

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Epic does not, so far as I'm aware, have a 'workshop' like Steam does. Does this affect the sense or extent to which PP will be mod-friendly, and can you clarify further yet how modding is expected to be facilitated?

JulianGollop
LEAD DESIGNER1 point·just now

We will be supporting some limited modding post-release, but it will not come before the first major DLC. We don't know yet what modding support Epic will be providing in the future, but we will provide a custom solution if necessary.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Epic does not, so far as I'm aware, have a 'workshop' like Steam does. Does this affect the sense or extent to which PP will be mod-friendly, and can you clarify further yet how modding is expected to be facilitated?

JulianGollop

We will be supporting some limited modding post-release, but it will not come before the first major DLC. We don't know yet what modding support Epic will be providing in the future, but we will provide a custom solution if necessary.

Didnt they announce that game with mod support?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

JulianGollop

Custom solution = share files somewhere and just extract. and in few years, spend 10 hours googling mirrors for mods and fail to find any.

Didnt they announce that game with mod support?

They said they'd add mod support later. New they call it limited modding, whatever that means (doesn't sound too promising, though)

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I'm enjoying seeing the question about "what happens to those who backed a higher tier to get DLCs now that they are being given away for free" slowly creep up to the top, continuing to be unanswered, probably because no one thought about this before now. Very well thought out.