• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying seeing the question about "what happens to those who backed a higher tier to get DLCs now that they are being given away for free" slowly creep up to the top, continuing to be unanswered, probably because no one thought about this before now. Very well thought out.

And that something that needs to get answered too, people paid more money for that, and yet they are getting the same as someone who paid less?

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying seeing the question about "what happens to those who backed a higher tier to get DLCs now that they are being given away for free" slowly creep up to the top, continuing to be unanswered, probably because no one thought about this before now. Very well thought out.
Wait they also had DLC as backer rewards? Jesus christ this keeps getting worse.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL What a fucking shitshow.

Hey that Metro Exclusivity suddenly doesnt look so bad. :D

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
And that something that needs to get answered too, people paid more money for that, and yet they are getting the same as someone who paid less?
I'm sure they're figuring it out in their Slack right now, just like with the Steam key after 1 year situation earlier and a bunch of other stuff no one thought of

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Epic does not, so far as I'm aware, have a 'workshop' like Steam does. Does this affect the sense or extent to which PP will be mod-friendly, and can you clarify further yet how modding is expected to be facilitated?

JulianGollop
LEAD DESIGNER1 point·just now

We will be supporting some limited modding post-release, but it will not come before the first major DLC. We don't know yet what modding support Epic will be providing in the future, but we will provide a custom solution if necessary.

S5awStz.gif

I feel like this needs a Snapshot logo...

Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to defend Epic here but they do support modding, don't they? There's the Conan Exiles dev kit, PixArk, ARK Editor and other stuff on their store.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Not trying to defend Epic here but they do support modding, don't they? There's the Conan Exiles dev kit, PixArk, ARK Editor and other stuff on their store.
You can download mod tools, that isn't the same as having a Steam Workshop-esque mod distribution platform. You have to distribute those Conan Exiles or Ark mods on NexusMods or where ever

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Thats them having the game's editor tools on the client,

not an intergrated way to download and install mods into the game, like Steam Workshop.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Question: What percentage of pre-orders do you currently estimate have requested a refund already?

daedalus2 Business Guy 0 points 7 minutes ago
It's about 3%.

Oct 28, 2017
If the studio had to agree to Epic Game Store exclusivity, I wonder if they were in hard times to get more funding. I'd imagine them struggling to make decisions to get onto Epic Game Store in the first place and satisfied in the short time that somehow they made the deal, only to face harsh feedback from those who backed up their game.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
If the studio had to agree to Epic Game Store exclusivity, I wonder if they were in hard times to get more funding. I'd imagine them struggling to make decisions to get onto Epic Game Store in the first place and satisfied in the short time that somehow they made the deal, only to face harsh feedback from those who backed up their game.
"Yes, we did expect some people to be upset by the Epic deal, and we did not make this decision lightly. We have enough resources to release the game, but the Epic deal will help the game enormously in terms of quality and post-release content. It helps give our employees security and gives them the confidence they can get the job done, despite the stress and high expectations."
- Julian Gollop

(emphasis mine)

Oct 25, 2017
Those specific games support modding.
You can download mod tools, that isn't the same as having a Steam Workshop-esque mod distribution platform. You have to distribute those Conan Exiles or Ark mods on NexusMods or where ever

I see! Thanks for correcting me. Yeah, Steam workshop is WAY better

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
unknown.png

Wow. They knew that their game was only possible due to backing of fans, where they promised Steam and GoG keys....

And then THEY approached Epic to ask for money in exchange for exclusivity. Betrayalton.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Q: Did you approach Epic, or did Epic approach you?

A: We approached Epic.

And in this answer, they explicitly say they had enough ressources to finish the game as is:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0psjl/ama_with_julian_gollop_and_david_kaye/eiga8dn/

So, they went out of their to fuck over their own backers.
This is even worse than signing a deal that came to your doorstep.

Go fuck yourself.

€: Also, they haven't even fucking tried to deliver steam and gog keys for backers when signing the deal???

Go fuck yourself²³

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Would be higher if they didnt make it so damn shady to get a refund.
What do you mean shady? You don't want to give your bank details to TransferWise? They have 9.2 out of 10 on TrustPilot! /s

Yeah, that 3% is almost assuredly the amount only through their shady method, wouldn't be surprised if more are trying to go through charge back, there's been a lot of talk about doing that on the subreddit

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
If it was just 3% they wouldn't backpedal this much. They can say whatever they want there are no consequences for lying.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
What do you mean shady? You don't want to give your bank details to TransferWise? They have 9.2 out of 10 on TrustPilot! /s

Yeah, that 3% is almost assuredly the amount only through their shady method, wouldn't be surprised if more are trying to go through charge back, there's been a lot of talk about doing that on the subreddit
At that point i would just take a loss, and call it a day than handover my bank account info for what $60?

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
3% is higher than i thought it would be honestly

most people dont follow any of this
Eeeeyup, especially given how the payment processing is supposed to work. They should have offered people some alternatives like a giftcard of their choice if regular return is not an option. Can't say I wouldn't prefer to see a higher number, but things are as they are.

BTW what the hell is up with people claiming their bank accounts can be cleaned just with a number? Is US still automatically enabling cheques?

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
If it was just 3% they wouldn't backpedal this much. They can say whatever they want there are no consequences for lying.
I was thinking the same thing, I mean he is talking about less than 300 backers (As per Fig there are 10600 backers). No reason to backpedal so fast trying to do damage control...

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think that's necessarily true and i also don't believe in the idea that people actually go through with this stuff. Even with little refunds, this is a PR shitshow that will damage them forever going forward, so of course they would backpedal, even with low refunds (and i don't consider 3% to be low tbh)

And why would they lie about this when they didn't even lie about them going to epic which is total and utter bullshit from their part

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The fact that they approached Epic is nutty. And you don't even have any sort of clear concise messaging for your fanbase.

It's honestly pretty funny in a really messed up way.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i mean there are plenty of groups of people you could probably put them in

people who have put in for a refund

(the 3%)

people who plan on chargebacks

(might not show up in their answer)

people who will be getting a refund but havent started the process yet
people who havent heard about any of this but after finding out will want a refund
people who werent going to get a refund but now will want to thanks to whatever this whole shit show is

(this can only go up)

people who want a refund but are put off by the process
people who dont remember even backing this game
people who dont keep up with the game at all and have no idea that any of this is happening

(maybe some of these will eventually ask for a refund later who can say, but i think this is going to be the largest group especially with the latter two)

people who are happy about this and champion the change
people who dont care and just want the game no matter what

(safe to say they will not want a refund)

i dunno theres a lot of different people who have different wants and needs in all of this

3% of my customers mad at me and only going to go up is i would think a lot in a product and service industry but i dont run a company what do i know

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
So you approached epic, and then you couldn't even remember the deal and had to ask epic if was ok for giving Steam/GOG keys.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Does not seem worth it to me by fucking your loyal fans as well as ruining own reputation. Reputation goes a long way.
Does it? Julian's name is barely known these days, and his remaining fans did not prevent Chaos Reborn from bombing. Given the sheer number of indie devs who have failed on their next game after having a big hit, I don't think reputation means much at all unless you're a big developer/publisher who is able to market the name brand.

I don't disagree that there is a risk of alienating people over this, but how big of a deal is that for a small studio trying to make ends meet? It's either they don't take the deal and risk going out of business in the near term, or take the deal and risk going out of business down the road if the blow back on this deal is really that bad. The former is obviously far more of a worry than the latter.