• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
It's either they don't take the deal and risk going out of business in the near term
By their own admission they had enough funds to finish. The only reason to throw your existing and future customers under the bus for a payday, is if you have no confidence in what you produced.

At which point one should ask if anybody else should have confidence in their product.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Personally, i was holding out with the refund in case some things might change, but this AMA right now is just sealing that deal for me.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
No-Mouse said:
So far, you've managed to develop the game in large part thanks to those who trusted you with their money and either backed your Fig campaign or pre-ordered the game from your site. Your fans have trusted you with their money based on the promises you made them, which explicitly include getting a GOG or Steam key. Without these people, you wouldn't have a game to sell to Epic in the first place. I'm aware that you no longer need these people, who were arguably your most loyal and devoted fans, because Epic is now paying your bills. But why are you choosing to show your contempt for the very people who put you on the map by denying them the deal they actually paid you for?

I can understand your decision to make the game exclusive to the Epic Game Store. I may not like it, I may think that exclusivity of any kind is inherently anti-consumer, but that's not my point. It's your right to sell your game however you see fit and if you value the money to expand your business over the fans that made your business possible in the first place, that's your choice to make. What I don't get is why you couldn't at least offer a Steam or GOG key to those who already funded your project, which was until very recently (and long after you must have started working on this Epic deal) explicitly advertised as being distributed through both GOG and Steam. If Metro could make it work for those who pre-ordered the game, why not Phoenix Point?

Simply put: Why are you refusing to give your fans what they paid for? And no, I don't consider giving us what we bought a year later to be an acceptable alternative.

daedalus2(Business Guy) said:
Answered this elsewhere, but here's the reason. Steam will not allow you to use their client to distribute a game if it isn't also available for purchase via Steam. Since doing so would violate our agreement with Epic, we can't do this. We are doing the next best thing, which is giving backers a Steam key in addition to the Epic key once the exclusivity period has ended.

ummm....
https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoi..._gollop_and_david_kaye/eigejr5/?context=10000

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
LaxUzu5.png
I mean, the rationale is sound.

If they don't give Steam/GOG to backers, that would be a really bad betrayal of their crowd-funders, but wanting the opportunity to fully achieve a game's potential isn't some laughable notion. What's bad about that comment?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
It is incredible that they approached epic and didn't have their ducks lined up before even getting the moneyhat.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I mean, the rationale is sound.

If they don't give Steam/GOG to backers, that would be a really bad betrayal to crowdfunding, but wanting the opportunity to fully achieve a game's potential isn't some laughable notion. What's bad about that comment?

"putting the interest of our backers first" besides asking. Also the game was almost done. They said they will just use the money for DLC stuff.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
By their own admission they had enough funds to finish. The only reason to throw your existing and future customers under the bus for a payday, is if you have no confidence in what you produced.
There's a difference between "we have enough funds to finish this game" and "this game will release in the state we want it to, and we are sure we are going to survive after we release this game". As I said given that Chaos Reborn bombed, and that this game has been flying under the radar since it was announced for crowdfunding, it's very obvious why they would be concerned about how well this game would do.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
"We can't violate our deal with Epic because they gave us money, so instead we are violating our deal with our backers who gave us money".

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Q: Did you approach Epic, or did Epic approach you?

A: We approached Epic.

And in this answer, they explicitly say they had enough ressources to finish the game as is:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0psjl/ama_with_julian_gollop_and_david_kaye/eiga8dn/

So, they went out of their to fuck over their own backers.

I thought it was odd that Epic would throw money at a supposedly DRM free game.

Wow, I guess all of that funding wasn't good enough. Screw you backers.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Honesty Unionizing would be the best solution that could happen for developers. Instead of doing what is happening. Especially if the game is crowd funded. If they unionize development studios they would in tern be able to set the terms for the revenue split, and store split costs.

Picking exclusivity after you've announced your game is a good way of pissing off any future player base and sales of said series of games.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Expect Steam does allow giving backers (and only backers) keys before release:

uEeaK9D.png
i mean the wording is kind of nebulous, im sure intentionally so, for valve to have as much flexability on a case by case basis as possible

you could read that (if you were going out of your way to) as only beta testing is allowed and this is a finished product

but yes as metro shows you could of course only give steam keys to the people who bought it

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Its just very....????? Like why not put this on steam first at least then go for the moneyhat so at least backers have something on the client they wanted.
Valve has been pretty openly annoyed at the way the Metro situation has been handled, and has implied they're ready to deploy some sort of ToS change if this kind of thing keeps happening.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Meh, they did it. It went as expected. Really wasn't a huge point to doing this unless they wanted to answer some common questions and now they know what to add to the FAQ. What's done is done and no internet rage will speak louder than millions of dollars. Some people got to vent, they shot themselves in their third foot, less than 15 or so answers over 90 minutes.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that we did find out was that they signed an NDA when starting negotiations so they couldn't inform backers. You'd think that they'd have more loyalty towards the people whom, without them, the game wouldn't exist.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Valve has been pretty openly annoyed at the way the Metro situation has been handled, and has implied they're ready to deploy some sort of ToS change if this kind of thing keeps happening.
Why not just deploy/update the ToS straight up instead of a wait and see approach? Like really, enough with the 'Valve Time'.

getting a refund and i'll see if i give a shit about this in a year.
I think you're better off introducing XCOM or any similar game to it, to a friend or relative and just having fun going through the game(s) as your units fail to take down an enemy while at 100% accuracy/aiming.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that we did find out was that they signed an NDA when starting negotiations so they couldn't inform backers. You'd think that they'd have more loyalty towards the people whom, without them, the game wouldn't exist.
You'd think they'd do any number of common sense things before engaging with this deal.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
So they went in to get the game on the epic store then walked out having made an exclusive deal they approached epic for?

So its pretty much this scene:

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Why not just deploy/update the ToS straight up instead of a wait and see approach? Like really, enough with the 'Valve Time'.

I think you're better off introducing XCOM or any similar game to it, to a friend or relative and just having fun going through the game(s) as your units fail to take down an enemy while at 100% accuracy/aiming.

That classic xcom feeling, better when the units are standing right next to each other and your gun is clipping through the head of their model lol

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
There's a difference between "we have enough funds to finish this game" and "this game will release in the state we want it to, and we are sure we are going to survive after we release this game". As I said given that Chaos Reborn bombed, and that this game has been flying under the radar since it was announced for crowdfunding, it's very obvious why they would be concerned about how well this game would do.

So Chaos Reborn bombed... and Gollop went to crowdfunding on the basis of a) nostalgia for XCOM of old, and b) a striking similarity to the well-received modern reboot. He makes 150% of what he asked for. Then continues to take Steam and GOG preorders throughout development. Then pulls this? If he was worried that CR didn't attract his old fans, he's certainly not hesitant to toss their goodwill away now.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
C O M P E T I T I O N

I love how the Epic Games store is just making PC gaming so much better, don't you?

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I have never lost respect for a person as fast as i did with Gollop. And that respect was built from decades of enjoying his UFO games. I am happy for him that he finally made it so he will not need my money to help him feed his family.

I do not believe the 3% they claim. They are not to be trusted at all.

Also, his game is published from a publisher that employs pedophile/nazi enablers as a bonus reason not to buy. Misinformation corrected.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I have never lost respect for a person as fast as i did with Gollop. And that respect was built from decades of enjoying his UFO games. I am happy for him that he finally made it so he will not need my money to help him feed his family.

I do not believe the 3% they claim. They are not to be trusted at all.
Well if anything, expect that 3% to increase after this AMA =X