• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies for making another Hitman thread, but I thought this deserved special attention. The mad lads and ladies at IOI continue to outdo themselves.

"With all content installed (including the locations from H1+H2), we're expecting Hitman 3 to clock in at approximately 60-70 GB and we're really happy with that," IO Interactive's chief technology officer Maurizo De Pascale told me over email.

Even without the older games bundled in, Hitman 3 is a leaner install than IO has managed to pull off with its last two games. As De Pascale explained to me, the answer is simple: More compression. But why Hitman 3's compression is so effective, and why they didn't use the same techniques last time, is where it gets more complicated (and more interesting).

Hitman 3 uses a technique called LZ4 compression that's been around for about a decade. Almost everything in the game runs through this compression algorithm, which is especially efficient.

More details in the article:
www.pcgamer.com

How Hitman 3's devs shrank the entire trilogy install size by over 80GB

As most PC game installs get more and more bloated, Hitman 3 cut its file size in half.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is great. I already own Hitman 1+2, and was fearing the huge install with all 3. Glad they have a solution in place!

camelkong

Feb 26, 2018
Oh damn I might actually go in on this then. I tried to play Hitman 1 when I got Hitman 2 in a bundle but 150 GB is too damn much for a game I don't even know if I'll like

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Ooooooo hell yes, that's gonna free up some space on my PS5 since I was playing some Hitman 2

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
goddamn, they need to show the CoD teams how to save space. what a bunch of wizards over at IO.

NerevaRising

Oct 5, 2018
May as well ask here, I already own Hitman 1 and 2 on steam, should I play the games individually or just play the levels in 3? Do I miss anything for doing the latter?

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yes. This is great. I've got Hitman 2 downloaded right now with the Hitman 1 legacy pack, and it's taking up entirely too much of my XSX SSD. Does anyone know if I should keep these downloaded for the time being, until Hitman 3 is installed, or can I delete Hitman 2 and then when I download Hitman 3 just import the legacy content? I know I needed Hitman 1 installed to install the legacy content to Hitman 2. Have they said anything about this yet?

OP
OP

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
May as well ask here, I already own Hitman 1 and 2 on steam, should I play the games individually or just play the levels in 3? Do I miss anything for doing the latter?

Don't bother with Hitman 1. Your Hitman 2 progress will carry over to Hitman 3 (including for the legacy H1 levels.) You won't be missing out on anything by waiting for Hitman 3, but you can get a head start on the story, learning the game systems and unlocking gadgets, guns and suits.

Yes. This is great. I've got Hitman 2 downloaded right now with the Hitman 1 legacy pack, and it's taking up entirely too much of my XSX SSD. Does anyone know if I should keep these downloaded for the time being, until Hitman 3 is installed, or can I delete Hitman 2 and then when I download Hitman 3 just import the legacy content? I know I needed Hitman 1 installed to install the legacy content to Hitman 2. Have they said anything about this yet?

Unfortunately we still don't have 100% clarity on that, but presumably progress and unlocks are tied to your IOI account now, not your local game saves.

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't doubt this but why does the EGS store listing say 80GB for hitman iii alone?

On all platforms, the Hitman 3 download contains all three games (you will only have access to the games you own though). It's one of the reasons why we are being able to do the things we talk about in the pcgamer article.

Oct 27, 2017
On all platforms, the Hitman 3 download contains all three games (you will only have access to the games you own though). It's one of the reasons why we are being able to do the things we talk about in the pcgamer article.
Awesome work guys!

Been a fan of Hitman ever since I played Codename 47 and other than Absolution, you guys never disappointed me.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Hitman 2 was fine for me running on a non SSD, no texture loading issues or anything. A leaner install sounds even better.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Hopefully the core content of Hitman 1 and 2 will be regularly discounted so more people can enjoy them, even if it's just a featured level or something each month. The overall 'World of Assassination' package is pretty remarkable value if you didn't pay retail x 3.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone please explain the level carrying over stuff for someone who hasn't played any of the games? Shit is mad confusing. I don't understand if ill miss out on anything if I don't buy H1/2.

ElCidTmax

Oct 28, 2017
This is great news. I broke my own rule and pre-ordered Hitman 3. I came to the Hitman games with the season 1 reboot, and they are so creative and fun. Really looking forward to going back to it on PS5.

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017

Are there any plans to do reruns of Elusive Targets for people still on the previous 2 games?

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone please explain the level carrying over stuff for someone who hasn't played any of the games? Shit is mad confusing. I don't understand if ill miss out on anything if I don't buy H1/2.

Hitman 1 and 2 have separate levels. I think they have 6 each, or something like that, maybe a couple more or less. Regardless, if you want ALL of the levels in Hitman 1, 2 and 3, you are going to want to buy Hitman 1 and 2, so you can import those levels into Hitman 3. Hitman 3 will allow you to play any of the previous levels.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
So I can delete Hitman 2 with the Legacy DLC and just buy/install Hitman 3 and have access to all levels?

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably more simple than you're thinking. By "levels", it's literally just "all the levels that were included in that game". So if you buy Hitman 1, those levels carry into Hitman 3 (in a sense, as DLC). It's all one client, like how MCC contains all those Halo games.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I have Hitman 2016 through the Games with Gold program, and recently bought Hitman 2. Do I need to purchase some kind of upgrade package in order to have both games streamlined through the Hitman 3 menu?

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Hitman 1 and 2 have separate levels. I think they have 6 each, or something like that, maybe a couple more or less. Regardless, if you want ALL of the levels in Hitman 1, 2 and 3, you are going to want to buy Hitman 1 and 2, so you can import those levels into Hitman 3. Hitman 3 will allow you to play any of the previous levels.
It's probably more simple than you're thinking. By "levels", it's literally just "all the levels that were included in that game". So if you buy Hitman 1, those levels carry into Hitman 3 (in a sense, as DLC). It's all one client, like how MCC contains all those Halo games.
Okay thanks for this.

Oct 25, 2017
So I can delete Hitman 2 with the Legacy DLC and just buy/install Hitman 3 and have access to all levels?
If you are on PC, yes you can delete it. Link your Steam and Epic accounts on IOI's site if you have the older games on Steam.

If you are on console, you may need to redeem the legacy DLC for Hitman 3 through Hitman 2's menu (this is how it works with Hitman 1 to 2) so you should keep the game installed until then.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
I'm lost with all of that too, so I better keep the 2 games installed on PS5? :/
Can I play the campaign of the first 2 games in Hitman 3 or just the levels?

This is so confusing.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm lost with all of that too, so I better keep the 2 games installed on PS5? :/
Can I play the campaign of the first 2 games in Hitman 3 or just the levels?

This is so confusing.

you can play all campaigns in Hitman 3

install hitman 1+2 on ps5
go to hitman 2, download hitman legacy goty pack
uninstall hitman 1
keep hitman 2 installed on ps5 until hitman 3 comes out

its confusing as fuck

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Amazing, developer actually focused on optimization of disk space usage! Now, on a more serious note, this is pretty awesome indeed and very rare to see.

I'll definitely check it out once it hits Steam in a year (unfortunately). Although I do have the first two Hitman on my XSX.... hmm....

Oct 27, 2017
So I have standard versions of Hitman 1 and 2. It looks like Hitman 1 will basically be upgraded to a GOTY edition for free, but there were extra Hitman 2 levels in the Gold Edition? Sounds like there was a separate Expansion Pass or something?

Just wondering if I need to make a separate purchase to get ALL the Hitman levels based on how I have standard H1 and H2. Someone upthread said that the H2 DLC has one of the best missions, so I probably need to do some sorta upgrade/plus-up purchase, right?