• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Warhammer%2040K%20Inquisitor%20Martyr.png

Update, April 19: Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr has been delayed to June 5.
As apology for the delay, the developers are dedicating to some ridiculous crunch while making up their time. "We promise we'll push this extra three weeks in 90+ hours per week so it'll be very-very useful for Martyr."
link

Okay. What the fuck is wrong with this industry?

Edit: their Twitter accounts: https://twitter.com/40k_Inquisitor (the game) and https://twitter.com/NeocoreGames (the studio).

Edit 2:
Studies Show Working Overtime Is Basically Pointless

Here's what research from IGDA says: "Productivity drops immediately upon starting overtime and continues to drop until, at approximately eight 60-hour weeks, the total work done is the same as what would have been done in eight 40-hour weeks."

Last edited:

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Can they make an apology for their apology while they finish the game without killing themselves?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Dude no. What the fuck?

Work sane hours and delay as much as you need to. Jesus man, I second the OP. The hell's wrong with this industry. I work in software development and you'd need to pay me some crazy money to get me to do it, let alone as an "apology".

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
User Warned: Lazy Dev Rhetoric
I understand that they were lazy but they don't have to murder themselves. People that work 60+ hours can die from overworking.

Oct 26, 2017
Devs...take your time. I'll still buy it whether it is next month or year. Good lord. Have lives outside of work, please.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit crunch culture is insane, don't kill your developers please oh my god.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want this.

Seriously. We can wait on a game. It's just a game. These are peoples lives.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
I work in software development and you'd need to pay me some crazy money to get me to do it, let alone as an "apology".

Same. I don't get those people. Plenty of amazing, well paying jobs in software that are never more than 40 hours. Gaming is seriously one of the only industries in software where this is even remotely a problem.

That's literally 40-50 hours more a week to PLAY games, or sleep or exercise or whatever you do for fun.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
There's no need to apologize, just don't overwork yourselves, geez.
This game can be delayed til 2019 for all I care but there's no need for such crunch.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
90+ hours for 3 weeks?! Sheesh, just not healthy, and could affect the game itself depending on the devs' performances through all of this.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
My god the crunch culture is really horrible, working 90 hours shifts is going to kill you mentally and physically.

Should do wonders for finding and fixing those bugs, huh? Cause nothing helps like fried mental capacity. I can't believe they're even bragging about this. Disgusting POS!

EDIT: NVM. Checked the second and third link, not the first.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
This makes me sad that they think this is a reward for us. Please don't work yourselves to death, work as sane hours as possible.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Should do wonders for finding and fixing those bug, huh? Cause nothing helps like fried mental capacity. I can't believe they're even bragging about this. Disgusting POS!

EDIT: So call me stupid, but I'm just not seeing the 90 hour quote. So maybe I'm being too harsh on them.
That quote is here:

https://neocoregames.com/en/community/hub/martyr-release-final-dates-a-letter-from-our-producer

Again, sorry for this as we kindly ask for your further patience and hopefully it won't be a deal breaker for any of you.

In return, we promise we'll push this extra three weeks in 90+ hours per week so it'll be very-very useful for Martyr.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Reading the comments i can kinda understand why they felt like saying this. Community seems really toxic

still a pretty dumb thing to do. you can't fix anything when your staff is overworked to death.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Also holy shit their forums are bad. It's people whining about how the console version is getting nothing from this, or how the console version is delaying the PC version.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever suggested this much less thought it was a good idea to promote it should be ashamed. No one benefits from this.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'd rather they just delay it further so they don't kill themselves in the process. Jesus christ man, don't do that. People can wait.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I was just talking to my co-workers about the old department we all came from that had so many people overworked so hard that they nearly found it normal. One guy had a stroke once and half his face was paralyzed and his team had to make him leave to the hospital and he promised to come back in the evening to help them with the work(thankfully they didn't let him). But it's quite more common in tons of industries than people realize.

edit:Also I obviously disagree with it all. I just sort of understand how the devs feel because I was sort of at that point one point in my life too

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They should just extend early access for longer, feels like crunching to get it done will only have a negative impact. Is this pressure from their publisher or something?

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is this a terrible idea from a moral and health perspective, from a productivity perspective this doesn't even work! Studies have well-shown that longer working hours (especially without frequent breaks) have severe diminishing returns when it comes to worker productivity, making it largely counterproductive if one actually wants to see more work done.

Whoever's managing over there needs to take some fuckin' worker management classes. This is ridiculous!

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Please don't (then again they might say it's for the gamers but it could be so they can finish it within budget...)...

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to that Switch thread, delays are anti-consumer so i guess this is just being pro-consumer.

Seriously, this industry is just a carnival of stupid sometimes.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they seem proud of the fact that the devs are going to crunch is sad.

I urge you all to tweet the developer to let them know what they are doing is not right. I already have. Their twitter name is @neocoregamea

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
64c.gif

Uh, no, if anyone of the developers is reading this. Please no.

I love Warhammer 40K, it's awesome stuff, but it's not worth to actually die for the Emperor. I think he prefers more efficient time management to serve his will. And that you continue to live healthily to do so.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Fuck some parts of this industry.

Hungary is part of the EU, so this is actually likely illegal under WTD 2003:
  • Article 3 – there must be a daily rest of eleven consecutive hours per 24-hour period.
  • Article 4 – a rest period for every six hours, set by legislation or collective agreement.
  • Article 5 – weekly rest of 24 hours uninterrupted, on top of the daily rest in article 3, but derogation is justifiable for technical, organisational or work reasons.
That adds up to a maximum of 78 hours work a week, and these requirements cannot be opted out of (unlike the right to work no more than 48 hours a week, which can be voluntarily waived).

Nobody should have to work 90+ hours a week, and nobody should be celebrating or demanding it. Fuck this game, and fuck this company.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
That's disgusting. A commitment to the players and communicating transparently is great, but not at the risk of the developer's health/sanity.

Fuuuuuck that. Take care of yourselves, devs.

Edit: just sent a cordial tweet to them asking to consider their team and to reconsider their decision.

Last edited:

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only reason anyone should do that is 'cause a Commissar is threatening to BLAM them.

Don't murder yourselves, devs.