• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any good horror and underwater/ocean discovery games (like Subnautica) you guys recommend?

I really like horror games and games where you explore/swim in the ocean.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I've not been keeping up with PC VR. Are any wireless or higher resolution headsets in development?
You got the Vive Pro fir which you can buy a wireless adapter....the are also third party headsets that have some crazy resolutions and POV, I don't know the name for sure, I think it's Plymax or something like that.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
You got the Vive Pro fir which you can buy a wireless adapter....the are also third party headsets that have some crazy resolutions and POV, I don't know the name for sure, I think it's Plymax or something like that.
I suppose the potential downside of wireless is the weight of the battery, does it make the headset particularly heavy and uncomfortable? I'm seriously tempted to build a gaming PC just for VR but it has to be wireless.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I suppose the potential downside of wireless is the weight of the battery, does it make the headset particularly heavy and uncomfortable? I'm seriously tempted to build a gaming PC just for VR but it has to be wireless.

The battery goes on your belt, pouch, vest, linked to the hmd via a small cable. Not on your hmd itself!

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Ah I thought it would be integral. That's still a wire! I want totally wireless, maybe something will get unveiled at CES.

The point is more that the wire is not interfering with your legs and arms and head, so you can spin around freely and never hook the wire with your feet, hands, arms and potentially rip out a wire by crouching and standing on it getting up or hurting yourself by tripping over it.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally booted up The Climb yesterday after having it in my backlog forever. Damn! Why didn't I try this sooner. Pretty damn cool game. Graphics are really nice and each area is really atmospheric. Getting the the peak of each climb feels great.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah I thought it would be integral. That's still a wire! I want totally wireless, maybe something will get unveiled at CES.
You want that wire so you can switch out battery banks at any point. Otherwise, you'll have to stop what you're doing and charge the whole headset for hours. Larger capacity batteries than the one included (over 10050 mah) are heavy AF, you're not going to want to have that one your head. Even some kind of proprietary super small-high powered battery that goes into the headset with no wire and can be swapped easily will cost a lot of money, while you can currently find substitute banks for the included HTC bank for 1/2 to 1/4 their bogus $80 price tag. The wireless adapter itself weighs nothing.

The only other people we know are producing a wireless adapter are TPCast with their new plus/2.0(?) device.

Last edited:

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty cool little demo, and despite it saying Vive-only the icons for buttons show up with Rift controllers when I played it. The demo has been up for a while but I'd passed on it until a moment of curiosity hit last night.-

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Does anyone know how common Vive and Oculus controllers are among VR owners? Most games seem to be designed for Vive first. And of course some just use gamepads.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Does anyone know how common Vive and Oculus controllers are among VR owners? Most games seem to be designed for Vive first. And of course some just use gamepads.
Most games work fine with both the Oculus Touch and the Vive Wands.

Wait... how common they are among owners? Almost everyone will have motion controllers since both headsets come with them now.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I mean how many have Vive wands vs how many have Oculus controllers.
As UltraJay was saying, 100% of Vive users have Wands and close to 100% of Rift users have Touch (It used to be sold separately but it is a huge part of contemporary VR: Without it you're almost a Cardboard VR user.

I haven't looked at the latest numbers but I believe that Oculus was slightly ahead. Overall it doesn't matter much, they're both by far the most popular PC VR headsets and PC VR controllers.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It definitely feels like most VR games are designed for the Wands first and only ported to the Touch.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That's basically counting headset usage overall. You can't mix and match the controllers because they use different tracking schemes.

There are going to be WMR users using Vive wands as they can be used together and a small amount of Rift users will have bought lighthouses and vive trackers in order to use full body tracking (like a friend of mine's Christmas present this year). They wouldn't be buying the Vive wands though. The lighthouses and trackers agree expensive enough as it is.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
IMO Any game where you hold a sword or a bow or a gun or a... wand ;) feels better with wands. But games where your hands are empty feel better with touch.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Welp I had no idea WMR doesn't work on Windows 10 N. Really nice Microsoft, now I got a $200 paperweight until I go through the hassle of installing a different OS.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I'm really enjoying the Vive wireless adapter so far. Rock solid connection everywhere I go/turn in my 2.5m x 2.5m play area.

The only negative I've experienced so far is a faint hum when I held an object up to my ear. But I also just read that TPCast users commonly have to deal with a constant hum from the transmitter. So it's not that bad on the VWA.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've not been keeping up with PC VR. Are any wireless or higher resolution headsets in development?

Wireless is still some rather expensive accessories

As for higher resolutions, Samsung Odyssey+ just launched, and Pimax is sending out the Vr headsets to backers right now. HTC Vive Pro' display is rather impressive right now.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just tried both Knuckles Controller EV2 and Oculus Quest today.

I think Knuclkles controller are pretty close to actually production but that little small flat button, I think its a little hard for my thumb to reach.
As for the Oculus Quest, its controller still needs a little refinement. The side button for the middle finger seems a little loose and they should add better spring.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How did the overall tracking seem on the Quest?

Head tracking is flawless as far as I tried. The screen are rather good
One think I notice is there seems to be 3.5mm headphone jack on both sides.

I think the headset is slightly heavier than Oculus Go. And it is really comfortable to wear with clear screen

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
Is there any way to force oculus setup to install on an external drive? It seems to not want to do that.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any way to force oculus setup to install on an external drive? It seems to not want to do that.

Open up the Run Dialog (Win+R), and type in the location of the installer and add /drive=D (the drive letter) to the end of it. Mine looked like D:\PC\Revive\OculusSetup.exe /drive=D

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Played Invaders VR again after a long time and really have to say, it's one of the best, if not the best wave shooters out there.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
So CES is near. Wonder if we'll hear some new developments these days, have been checking but nothing so far yet?

MarkN

Oct 13, 2018
Anyone know if there is a way to set ceiling height within the rift? I have a lower ceiling in my play space and routinely hit the ceiling (especially for games like robo recall where your shooting guys up high) I'm wondering if there's anything I can do or If i just need to deal with it?

jwc13ac

Oct 30, 2017
Polybius's visuals and sense of speed are insane and probably the coolest thing I've seen in vr. Don't sleep on this game if you haven't picked it up.

I'm dying to play this, but I've got a Vive. any word on working with revive? Weird it's on steam but Oculus only. I saw the dev didn't have a Vive kit, seems a bit weird, I'd chip in the get him one!

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm dying to play this, but I've got a Vive. any word on working with revive? Weird it's on steam but Oculus only. I saw the dev didn't have a Vive kit, seems a bit weird, I'd chip in the get him one!

The dev said he just received a Vive development kit over the new year, so the game is getting native Vive support in the future

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
Open up the Run Dialog (Win+R), and type in the location of the installer and add /drive=D (the drive letter) to the end of it. Mine looked like D:\PC\Revive\OculusSetup.exe /drive=D

I actually tried that earlier and it just gave a different error message that said the same thing

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I played an hour of Hellblade with the continuous/non-snap camera and oh boy finally experienced vr motion sickness after years. Thought I was going to actually get sick, hangover probably doesn't help tho lol.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Finally bit the bullet and ordered prescription lenses for my Vive from WidmoVR. Tired of wearing glasses in the fucking thing.

Following up since the lenses finally arrived.

BEST PURCHASE EVER! I see better now in VR than I ever did while wearing glasses in the thing, and now I don't have to worry about scratches or additional head pain or anything like that.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Following up since the lenses finally arrived.

BEST PURCHASE EVER! I see better now in VR than I ever did while wearing glasses in the thing, and now I don't have to worry about scratches or additional head pain or anything like that.

Good to hear, I'm going to re-order some more lenses thanks to you. I'm sure it'll be much better once they arrive.

JarrodL

Oct 27, 2017
Played through Prey: TranStar VR today. It's a collection of short puzzle mini-games set on board Talos I, the whole experience lasted me a little bit over an hour. Short but fun, revisiting the Prey setting in VR was cool. The grabbing controls were a bit annoying - using press-and-hold with side buttons on Vive wands doesn't work very well for picking stuff up.

It's wasn't very well advertised and kind of hidden inside Prey: Typhon Hunter, a multiplayer add-on which comes for free with Prey: Mooncrash expansion. In case someone here already owns Prey: Mooncrash and didn't know about this - you should have access to TranStar VR from Prey: Typhon Hunter main menu.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does extending 1 Oculus sensor with a USB 3.0 hub work? I can only find info that 2 sensors in a USB 3.0 hub will create bandwith problems, but no info on 1 sensor.