• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
It's from a 2-man team, and while not a lengthy Skyrim type RPG (they say 5 hours to complete), what you do in this game goes beyond just swinging a sword or reaching for an item on your hip.

It's the breadth and depth of interactions that really elevate VR over traditional games and VR ports. But the activities need to have purpose or at least feel grounded in that world. The fire orb-smacking, for example, looks gimmicky, but everything else sounds pretty good.

5 hours to complete
10 locations
2 bossfights
Voice recognition for bartering, NPC dialog trees, etc
A really wide variety of motion control interactions
$25-30 pricepoint (*doublechecks* Wait, did I imagine reading that on Reddit?)
Releasing in February

I think this game will do well when it hits $10-15. There's a very enthusiastic market of 200-500K who will buy shorter games with a unique selling point.

Side point: It was made in two years by two devs. The game needs to make about $575K before store fees for them to make the average dev salary ($100K/yr).

What's easier:
a. Convincing 19K people to buy a 5-hour game for $30 (I swear the devs claimed that price on Reddit)
b. Convincing 58K people to buy it for $10

I'm no business expert, but knowing the VR gaming market, I'd go with B, easily. I feel like this game would sell 100-200K copies at $10.

Last edited:

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I think I've played through Moss (if I didn't miss something and the game really is just Chapter one, the first book, episodically designed?)

Anyway, the presentation and animation is fantastic and the main draw of the game for me, it felt a bit short overall but I can't complain for the price I've paid. From a VR-gameplay perspective it is better than something like Hellblade as it uses VR a bit more than just being a third person camera as it is with Hellblade, but the platforming, fighting and VR interaction with the enemies and the environment are also not really something that I would point out as something especially noteworthy. It does it's job well enough and tries to have some variety in what you are doing as a VR player, which is commendable but it never goes to become something great and memorable, it's serviceable!

I enjoyed my time with it in small doses.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Both games are in my library (Moss on PSVR) but I haven't gotten around to them yet. I mostly was attracted to them for the emotional impact (both very different tones haha)

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ordered a 3rd sensor from Oculus 2 days ago. Tracking and room scale is already great, but just want to perfect it. The room is big and was positively suprised how much space I got from placing 2 sensors diagonally.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Phaser Lock interactive is teasing a game announcement for Rift and Vive at PAX East in few days time

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Ordered a 3rd sensor from Oculus 2 days ago. Tracking and room scale is already great, but just want to perfect it. The room is big and was positively suprised how much space I got from placing 2 sensors diagonally.

Room scale works perfectly for me with 3 sensors. Don't have any tracking issues. Only that stupid cable stays in the way of perfection.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Next time people are talking about VR gameplay I'm gonna link this video at this timestamp. Good demo of some of the things VR can bring to gameplay, even in classic games. Love it.

Only in VR do you get that shooting fish in a barrel action.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

You'll love having the third sensor. It took my Oculus room scale setup from 90% great to 100% great. Absolute precision.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to pull the trigger and pick up a 3rd Rift sensor for roomscale VR. I'm going to run my cables through the attic and put the sensors in 3 corners of the room. Any nice wallmount suggestions? I don't mind putting in some screws/anchors.

Also, does anyone have any experience with trying both USB2 vs. USB3? I know the Intel controller probably can't handle all of the sensors on USB3, but I do have an extra Asmedia USB 3.1 port which is on a different host controller so I'm debating between using that vs. just USB 2.0. I'd just need to buy one more active USB3 cable.

Any other advice/tips for moving to this setup would be appreciated. :)

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Any nice wallmount suggestions? I don't mind putting in some screws/anchors.

I haven't wall mounted mine yet but I've been poking around at various solutions. This is what I'm currently thinking of going with as it goes up with a command strip rather than screwing anything in (and the sensor isn't that heavy anyway):

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2589998

People seem to sell similar mounts on Amazon too but they're kind of expensive given how thick the layers are. Of course, that's assuming you have access to a 3d printer.

There are also some specific to corners, like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1959715

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Juhu I made it to the top 60 in some workouts in BoxVR after a couple weeks of training late after work. I'm motivated to achieve higher scores, let's see how long it will take me. Great workout. Beat Saber as warm up, BoxVR as the real workout is a lot of fun.

Really wondering why there isn't a PSVR version. Shouldn't be difficult to port because it's rather simplistic control wise. I bet they would get some good sales numbers.

I'll try one of the longest workouts this weekend, let's see how much I'll struggle haha.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Hello all., I'm in the running for a used complete OR set( headset, sensor, controllers) for $100. A couple of questions:

1) I haven't kept up on PCVR as I've been a PSVR user for over 2 years. So I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to what's on the horizon in the PC space( I'm aware of the Quest, but I understand that's an all in one with lower overall fidelity). Is it still worth getting this, particularly at that price-point, or is something coming out soon that's going to make me regret the purchase?

2) I'm planning on a beast gaming laptop( not in the market for a desktop for reasons, before that gets brought up) later on in the year to pair with this set if I buy it, but for now I have a (don't laugh) 750ti. Is there *anything* that I can run on that card, obviously at much lower fidelity, until I upgrade? I don't care if its something like Google Earth or some lower budget game that doesn't rely much on having a powerful card.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
It's from a 2-man team, and while not a lengthy Skyrim type RPG (they say 5 hours to complete), what you do in this game goes beyond just swinging a sword or reaching for an item on your hip.

It's the breadth and depth of interactions that really elevate VR over traditional games and VR ports. But the activities need to have purpose or at least feel grounded in that world. The fire orb-smacking, for example, looks gimmicky, but everything else sounds pretty good.

5 hours to complete
10 locations
2 bossfights
Voice recognition for bartering, NPC dialog trees, etc
A really wide variety of motion control interactions
$25-30 pricepoint (*doublechecks* Wait, did I imagine reading that on Reddit?)
Releasing in February

I think this game will do well when it hits $10-15. There's a very enthusiastic market of 200-500K who will buy shorter games with a unique selling point.

Side point: It was made in two years by two devs. The game needs to make about $575K before store fees for them to make the average dev salary ($100K/yr).

What's easier:
a. Convincing 19K people to buy a 5-hour game for $30 (I swear the devs claimed that price on Reddit)
b. Convincing 58K people to buy it for $10

I'm no business expert, but knowing the VR gaming market, I'd go with B, easily. I feel like this game would sell 100-200K copies at $10.

i don't expect Skyrim or anything but this could be what i've been waiting for. an honest to god VR RPG not relegated to dungeon crawling and sword/sorcery enemy waves. just hard not to go over/under expectations with these one or two man projects when it's more than $15 or thereabouts

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hello all., I'm in the running for a used complete OR set( headset, sensor, controllers) for $100. A couple of questions:

1) I haven't kept up on PCVR as I've been a PSVR user for over 2 years. So I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to what's on the horizon in the PC space( I'm aware of the Quest, but I understand that's an all in one with lower overall fidelity). Is it still worth getting this, particularly at that price-point, or is something coming out soon that's going to make me regret the purchase?

2) I'm planning on a beast gaming laptop( not in the market for a desktop for reasons, before that gets brought up) later on in the year to pair with this set if I buy it, but for now I have a (don't laugh) 750ti. Is there *anything* that I can run on that card, obviously at much lower fidelity, until I upgrade? I don't care if its something like Google Earth or some lower budget game that doesn't rely much on having a powerful card.

I think Oculus Rift is a great investment, but you got to look out for the USB ports requirement.

There's a rumor for a Oculus Rift S" or something, basically a budget version with inside out tracking but with lower tracking quality, and I believe inferior screen. But overall I still think the Rift is going to be a great investment in the coming near term future.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I think Oculus Rift is a great investment, but you got to look out for the USB ports requirement.

There's a rumor for a Oculus Rift S" or something, basically a budget version with inside out tracking but with lower tracking quality, and I believe inferior screen. But overall I still think the Rift is going to be a great investment in the coming near term future.

Thank you. As long as I invest in one of those 'VR enabled' laptops that should take care of the USB port factor, yeah?

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Windows Mixed Reality in Windows 10 19H1

MS was busy, pretty interesting updates

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok that's straight forward. I would assume any 'gaming' centric PC/laptop intended for VR usage would have those baselines, but I'll make sure whatever I buy has those ports. Thanks for the link :)

Its true but it quickly adds up when you have other accessories which needs usb port too (mouse, some audio speaker, gamepd controller, external hard disk etc)

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I noticed that when I squint my eyes the picture on my Rift seems to become sharper. Does anyone know why this could be?

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
When do you folks expect gen 2 of Rift/VIVE or Valves HMD?
2020, maybe? Honestly, who knows.
I noticed that when I squint my eyes the picture on my Rift seems to become sharper. Does anyone know why this could be?
That doesn't sound right... the center of the display should always be crystal clear. Are you sure you are wearing it correctly? Have you done the calibration with the green cross, checking if you can see the vertical and horizontal lines?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
2020, maybe? Honestly, who knows.

That doesn't sound right... the center of the display should always be crystal clear. Are you sure you are wearing it correctly? Have you done the calibration with the green cross, checking if you can see the vertical and horizontal lines?
yes i have done that and the cross is proper.
it's just so weird to me

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU

I would say 2020 would be possible from a technical standpoint but I don't know how much business sense it will make as the next gen consoles will arrive that year as well. Don't know if it makes sense to directly compete with the new consoles because everyone has a budget and I think most of the money from early adopters and enthusiasts will go into the new consoles.

I think it'll also depend on the launch date of the PSVR2.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Certainly not this year.

Facebook is focused on launching the Quest for 2019.

HTC just unveiled a bunch of different HMDs (CES) they'll be launching this year. It's obvious a next gen Vive isn't coming this year.

Valve worships the iteration model. The fact we haven't even hit gen 1 on units shipping to developers tells me we're likely years away (if ever) from seeing this. I think the only way the timeline gets pushed up is if HTC exits the SteamVR market and there aren't any commercial SteamVR HMDs available.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Certainly not this year.

Facebook is focused on launching the Quest for 2019.

HTC just unveiled a bunch of different HMDs (CES) they'll be launching this year. It's obvious a next gen Vive isn't coming this year.

Valve worships the iteration model. The fact we haven't even hit gen 1 on units shipping to developers tells me we're likely years away (if ever) from seeing this. I think the only way the timeline gets pushed up is if HTC exits the SteamVR market and there aren't any commercial SteamVR HMDs available.

Yeah I would say 2021 is the earliest date for the next big step. They will wait until the new tech will be affordable because they have to keep prices down to be attractive to the mass market. Those headsets have to be sharp, wireless, easy to set up, with great intuitive controllers for a good price.

It's a tricky situation and we don't know what Sony is doing. I believe that next gen PC VR headsets have to launch before the PSVR2 and have to be significantly more advanced to not be crushed by it.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an owner of both Rift and PSVR, I gotta say that Sony did suprisingly well with the PSVR. It's not as "high-end" as the Rift, but for the price, especially on sale, it's really good.

Biggest cons imo is no room scale and blurriness. Otherwise, it's a good HMD.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I would say 2021 is the earliest date for the next big step. They will wait until the new tech will be affordable because they have to keep prices down to be attractive to the mass market. Those headsets have to be sharp, wireless, easy to set up, with great intuitive controllers for a good price.

It's a tricky situation and we don't know what Sony is doing. I believe that next gen PC VR headsets have to launch before the PSVR2 and have to be significantly more advanced to not be crushed by it.

Sony's actually very intriguing to me. To me, they should go the route that the Quest thought about taking (but decided against). Make it a self-contained HMD with mobile chipset, but also allow it to get tethered to PS5 for high-end gaming.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
As an owner of both Rift and PSVR, I gotta say that Sony did suprisingly well with the PSVR. It's not as "high-end" as the Rift, but for the price, especially on sale, it's really good.

Biggest cons imo is no room scale and blurriness. Otherwise, it's a good HMD.

Imo the biggest problem is the content, no modding and the (imo) really shitty tracking of the controllers.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Sony's actually very intriguing to me. To me, they should go the route that the Quest thought about taking (but decided against). Make it a self-contained HMD with mobile chipset, but also allow it to get tethered to PS5 for high-end gaming.

Interesting possibility. Would be challenging from a price perspective to put enough computing power into the headset to be viable and make it advanced enough to somewhat compete with the next PCVR headsets.

I think the real question is: what will be the main target platform for devs for the next VR gen? PSVR has the biggest user base and I don't think PCVR will surpass it. So there will be a base set of features that devs will target. PCVR has to go somewhat in the direction PSVR is heading.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Imo the biggest problem is the content, no modding and the (imo) really shitty tracking of the controllers.

Controllers is definitely #1. I have an Oculus but used my cousin's PSVR recently. I was actually super impressed with the image quality (it's lower res sure, but there's no screen door effect all so it's a bit of a wash. It looks very good imo), but man those move controllers suck!

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I believe that next gen PC VR headsets have to launch before the PSVR2 and have to be significantly more advanced to not be crushed by it
PCVR will probably always be more advanced than console VR, but lower-end PCVR options focused on simplicity/convenience will have an important role too.

I think the real question is: what will be the main target platform for devs for the next VR gen? PSVR has the biggest user base and I don't think PCVR will surpass it. So there will be a base set of features that devs will target. PCVR has to go somewhat in the direction PSVR is heading.
I don't foresee PCVR adopting any features that get in the way of maintaining parity with a lower common denominator, so I'm not sure how you frame that as a PCVR concern. Furthermore, a wise cross-platform developer understands that PCVR being on another level feature-wise means they need to try harder to 1) compete with other games and 2) to satisfy that audience's expectations.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

New game announced for HTC Vive, Oculus Rift and WMR: Area of Darkness Sentinel, coming out next month!

Trailer here:

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I've been unimpressed by these kinds of locomotion systems to date, but this one just seems to make sense.

It's also an in-depth look at hand/gun physics- apparently he's concentrating on making a Halo-like FPS out of it.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I've been unimpressed by these kinds of locomotion systems to date, but this one just seems to make sense.

It's also an in-depth look at hand/gun physics- apparently he's concentrating on making a Halo-like FPS out of it.

Yeah, this looks fantastic, and I think more developers should be focuses on honing VR mechanics like this. And a Halo-style fps would be so awesome in VR!

My one question that I'm not sure he answered: why do you have to still use the analog sticks during movement? Is it to specify the direction of movement whereas the body movement dictates the intensity?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this looks fantastic, and I think more developers should be focuses on honing VR mechanics like this. And a Halo-style fps would be so awesome in VR!

My one question that I'm not sure he answered: why do you have to still use the analog sticks during movement? Is it to specify the direction of movement whereas the body movement dictates the intensity?
I think in this case it's because of how subtle the input is for movement. Like he said, the swaying he was doing to begin walking faster was basically the level of movement he'd normally have just standing in place. By forcing you to push the analog stick to move, you don't accidentally move yourself by just standing. But yeah, I also imagine it can control the direction of movement as well, or else you could just put that functionality on a single button.