• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I think i'm going to get the Rift S when it comes out. So long as a few personal matters get settled mid May, then im going to splurge on one because I wanted to get in first gen, but price was too high ($799 for a Vive!). Now the headset is better and the price is lower so I think I'm just going to do it. Hopefully.

Anyone else in here getting a Rift S?

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any hope of getting the knuckle controllers to work with a Rift? I have the old school Rift and like the idea of the inside out tracking with the S, but man... those knuckle controllers look really dope and I could realistically just get those instead of a new headset and just deal with the cameras still.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I've kept coming back to Audica since release, and it is kind of a shame that it seems to have been forgotten, mostly because I don't want them to give up on it. I was a bit unsure about the game at first after playing a lot of Beat Saber, but I've really come to love it. There is something more satisfying and precise about shooting targets instead of swinging my arms. More binary, I guess. Also, I don't get nearly as sweaty playing it! lol
They've made a lot of updates since release and keep adding new songs, I think they've added around 10 new ones in total at this point. My only gripe is, I find a majority of the new songs to be too strange and bland compared to the original ones, but there are some gems in there as well.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is there any hope of getting the knuckle controllers to work with a Rift? I have the old school Rift and like the idea of the inside out tracking with the S, but man... those knuckle controllers look really dope and I could realistically just get those instead of a new headset and just deal with the cameras still.
I thought about it myself but realized it wouldn't work without the base stations (required for tracking) and probably some weird hack that would trick the Knuckles into thinking it was using SteamVR and the RiftS into thinking it was using the Touch controllers

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Do the current PC headsets work fine without a monitor hooked up? Do you just get a 2d big screen view of the desktop if you start the computer with only the headset? I have a projector hooked up to my PC so I don't want to turn it on just to play vr if possible.

Sir Swish

Oct 26, 2017
Do the current PC headsets work fine without a monitor hooked up? Do you just get a 2d big screen view of the desktop if you start the computer with only the headset? I have a projector hooked up to my PC so I don't want to turn it on just to play vr if possible.

I think you will need a monitor for the initial set up, but with my rift when you put the headset on it loads you in to your "home" where you can launch games, buy games even interact with your desktop.

Oct 25, 2017
You are going to be using your monitor frequently for PCVR when starting any new application for the first time (to play with supersampling, for example). Games can require an initial launcher where you change settings. Sometimes you need to troubleshoot those settings for various reasons, sometimes you need to change the 2d view focus from windowed to fullscreen. Rarely, a game could loose focus due to windows and you need to recover it at the desktop level. From my experience, Steam VR isn't really completely seamless enough to use without your monitor always on, could be different for Oculus software.

PSVR by contrast, you could go without using your TV with 100% certainty.

Deleted member 14451

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got 4 coupons in my inventory.
Electronauts and Raw Data are valid until the 7th.
Skyword: Kingdom Brawl until the 12th.
Pandemic Express until the 13th.
Send me a PM if you want one.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
You are going to be using your monitor frequently for PCVR when starting any new application for the first time (to play with supersampling, for example). Games can require an initial launcher where you change settings. Sometimes you need to troubleshoot those settings for various reasons, sometimes you need to change the 2d view focus from windowed to fullscreen. Rarely, a game could loose focus due to windows and you need to recover it at the desktop level. From my experience, Steam VR isn't really completely seamless enough to use without your monitor always on, could be different for Oculus software.

PSVR by contrast, you could go without using your TV with 100% certainty.
Yeah that's how I use psvr currently. I was hoping you could just use m+KB with the headset on and a virtual big screen desktop to edit and launch stuff.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-review-vr-headset/

Pretty brutal review (so far). Can't imagine they wouldn't inspect each review unit either. So if Road To VR's unit has this many mura and other optics issues, I doubt it's an isolated event.

Him talking about having an average size nose, having to remove the nose guard, and still just barely having enough room for his nose gave me flashbacks to the Samsung+.

Sir Swish

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's how I use psvr currently. I was hoping you could just use m+KB with the headset on and a virtual big screen desktop to edit and launch stuff.

You can with Oculus, although I wouldnt reccomend using a physical keyboard and mouse, I find just clicking and the software keyboard alot easier. Heres a better explanation of how to interact with your desktop - https://www.vrheads.com/how-use-oculus-desktop

You can also launch non oculus games using that desktop method, I do it with a township tales launcher.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-review-vr-headset/

Pretty brutal review (so far). Can't imagine they wouldn't inspect each review unit either. So if Road To VR's unit has this many mura and other optics issues, I doubt it's an isolated event.

Him talking about having an average size nose, having to remove the nose guard, and still just barely having enough room for his nose gave me flashbacks to the Samsung+.

Read that this morning and was surprised by how negative the review was. Interested to see if other reviews have the same claims. More than anything I didn't realize the default WMR controllers only rely on two cameras for tracking, and can be occluded by simply resting your hands down by your sides? Sounds pretty terrible.

I assume the Odyssey added additional cameras? Seems most users are more than happy with it's tracking overall.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Read that this morning and was surprised by how negative the review was. Interested to see if other reviews have the same claims. More than anything I didn't realize the default WMR controllers only rely on two cameras for tracking, and can be occluded by simply resting your hands down by your sides? Sounds pretty terrible.

I assume the Odyssey added additional cameras? Seems most users are more than happy with it's tracking overall.

Unfortunately not. This is the one area where MS is strict. MS has a reference design for tracking and partners aren't allowed to alter that aspect of the design.

FWIW, I was fairly impressed by the Odyssey+ tracking. I just couldn't get it to fit my head properly.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately not. This is the one area where MS is strict. MS has a reference design for tracking and partners aren't allowed to alter that aspect of the design.
I understand why they'd do that but it still seems a little dumb and restrictive. Especially if they aren't updating the reference spec that often. This style of VR hmd that has a heavy emphasis on gaming should have at least 4 cameras by now.

Oct 25, 2017
A 3rd party virtual bigscreen could work fine most of the time, definitely worth looking into. But, you will rarely run into situations where you are 'locked in' for whatever reason (in an app you can't quit [happens 100% of the time in Supermedium for me], in the steam vr overlay, in a major performance drop that you can't recover from) and will have to totally reset to desktop.

The desktop view that comes in the default steam vr overlay is dog puke - it lags massively due to being behind in priority vs whatever you're doing in vr, and double clicking things with the Vive triggers is extremely tough (the desktop icons appear super tiny, there's the lag, and the hand/controller tracking is super sensitive/jittery).

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i have the opportunity to potentially jump into pc gaming by picking up a friends old PC, specifically for VR, specifically for sim racers like dirt rally and pcars 2, and wanted to get some feedback re' 1) the builds likely performance capabilities and 2) a fair price. i know next to nothing about pc gaming and pc vr gaming.

i7 2600k overclocked to 4.4 ghz
1070 gtx
16 gigs ram
500 gb ssd
1 tb hdd

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i have the opportunity to potentially jump into pc gaming by picking up a friends old PC, specifically for VR, specifically for sim racers like dirt rally and pcars 2, and wanted to get some feedback re' 1) the builds likely performance capabilities and 2) a fair price. i know next to nothing about pc gaming and pc vr gaming.

1070 gtx
16 gigs ram
500 gb ssd
1 tb hdd
What did they ask you to pay?

I'd say

CPU $60
1070 $250
Ram $40
SSD $50+ depending on type
HDD $30
Windows $60 to be nice.

So like $600 probably with older Mobo and PSU would be fair if they were trying to sell it at market value.

However, probably want to take less as its used and you're their friend. Plus you can get better performing parts for around the same prices.

So you're doing them a favor as well. I'd say like $500 or so would be a fair price. Their CPU, Ram and Mobo are just old. You'd very likely want to replace them anyway. They will perform fine, but you will hit bottlenecks and potential performance issues with the CPU in some VR and future VR titles.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

1070 gtx
16 gigs ram
500 gb ssd
1 tb hdd
That is not a good PC for VR... That CPU is 8 years old, it's using DDR3. Sandbridge can still give playable framerates on games today if you're okay with not pushing past 60fps, but VR needs something much more beefy and modern.

To be clear, there is ZERO room for upgrade potential with that system. You aren't going to be upgrading that CPU or RAM without a completely new motherboard. Your friend is trying to dump you an old machine that's CPU bottlenecked (that 1070 is probably being held back pretty hard)

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is not a good PC for VR... That CPU is 8 years old, it's using DDR3. Sandbridge can still give playable framerates on games today if you're okay with not pushing past 60fps, but VR needs something much more beefy and modern.

To be clear, there is ZERO room for upgrade potential with that system. You aren't going to be upgrading that PC or RAM without a completely new motherboard. Your friend is trying to dump you an old machine that's CPU bottlenecked (that 1070 is probably being held back pretty hard)
Agreed. You'd likely have to replace the core components. You want a new CPU, Mobo and Ram. The 1070, SSD, HDD, Windows and PSU are where all the value is. Hopefully they are on Windows 10.

It's the reason why I sell my computer parts regularly. When you sit on something too long they become valueless for actual usage.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

To be clear, there is ZERO room for upgrade potential with that system. You aren't going to be upgrading that PC or RAM without a completely new motherboard. Your friend is trying to dump you an old machine that's CPU bottlenecked (that 1070 is probably being held back pretty hard)

he just upgraded and i inquired about his old pc FYI.

and while its certainly not going to give me the best perfromance, can it handle the older games i listed, even at say medium settings? my only exposure to VR was playing on his brothers computer, which i think barely ran pcars 2 on the lowest settings but still blew me away. if the price is right, and its at least that good (wish i could post his specs.... suffice to say i know enough to tell you this one should be significantly better), i may bite.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
he just upgraded and i inquired about his old pc FYI.

and while its certainly not going to give me the best perfromance, can it handle the older games i listed, even at say medium settings? my only exposure to VR was playing on his brothers computer, which i think barely ran pcars 2 on the lowest settings but still blew me away. if the price is right, and its at least that good (wish i could post his specs.... suffice to say i know enough to tell you this one should be significantly better), i may bite.
I mean see what you can get it from them for. I updated my original post above with additional info. But I'd say you're probably want to get that for less than they would be comfortable with unless they are giving it as a favor. We're talking like $450. As you'll want to upgrade the CPU, Mobo, and Ram. Which at best current pricing is

https://slickdeals.net/f/13050538-amd-ryzen-5-2600-3-4ghz-6-core-processor-w-wraith-stealth-cooler-tom-clancy-s-the-division-2-gold-edition-world-war-z-pcdd-149-99-ac-free-shipping-via-newegg?attrsrc=Test:HideExpiredSearch:Control&src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Ryzen 2600 for $149.99 with games (sell games) recoup like $80-90.

Mobo is probably around $80-100

Ram can be had for $70-80. For 16GB of decent memory.

So you're looking at for solid performance another $250 or so.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

To be clear, there is ZERO room for upgrade potential with that system. You aren't going to be upgrading that CPU or RAM without a completely new motherboard. Your friend is trying to dump you an old machine that's CPU bottlenecked (that 1070 is probably being held back pretty hard)
An Overclocked 2600k is perfectly capable of delivering a VR experience. That's what I used for my setup for a while. Of course a 2600k OC's is basically the bare minimum and getting a recent CPU will give you a much more stable/smoother experience so I'd suggest they save for recent parts.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Worth noting you can in Steam VR with any Steam VR headset ( Vive, Oculus, WIndows VR, Index) easily. There is a giant button at the bottom of the Steam VR overlay that says "Desktop" and then you just use your controller as a mouse pointer. I do it all the time.

I think after the initial set up, you could easily get by with that for most issues.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I mean see what you can get it from them for. I updated my original post above with additional info. But I'd say you're probably want to get that for less than they would be comfortable with unless they are giving it as a favor. We're talking like $450. As you'll want to upgrade the CPU, Mobo, and Ram. Which at best current pricing is

https://slickdeals.net/f/13050538-amd-ryzen-5-2600-3-4ghz-6-core-processor-w-wraith-stealth-cooler-tom-clancy-s-the-division-2-gold-edition-world-war-z-pcdd-149-99-ac-free-shipping-via-newegg?attrsrc=Test:HideExpiredSearch:Control&src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Ryzen 2600 for $149.99 with games (sell games) recoup like $80-90.

Mobo is probably around $80-100

Ram can be had for $70-80. For 16GB of decent memory.

So you're looking at for solid performance another $250 or so.

fyi, he said $500 - with his old monitor.

it honestly sounds like it would fit my current needs, but i suppose if i'm plunking down biggish cash i should set my sights a bit higher for a better experience.

oh well. back to dreaming that next-gen xbox will have meaningful VR support

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
fyi, he said $500 - with his old monitor.

it honestly sounds like it would fit my current needs, but i suppose if i'm plunking down biggish cash i should set my sights a bit higher for a better experience.

oh well. back to dreaming that next-gen xbox will have meaningful VR support

With a monitor that's actually quite a fair deal. And you can upgrade later on.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, the system that sold me on VR (via pcars2) was running a 970. not sure on the cpu, but it was slower. i know we put the settings at basically the lowest, probably lowered the field of cars significantly (and even hot lapped solo), and it still was a bit questionable frame rate wise. and i still sat for a straight hour doing lap after lap on laguna seca!

Oct 25, 2017

1070 gtx
16 gigs ram
500 gb ssd
1 tb hdd
An Overclocked 2600k is perfectly capable of delivering a VR experience. That's what I used for my setup for a while. Of course a 2600k OC's is basically the bare minimum and getting a recent CPU will give you a much more stable/smoother experience so I'd suggest they save for recent parts.
FYI, the system that sold me on VR (via pcars2) was running a 970. not sure on the cpu, but it was slower. i know we put the settings at basically the lowest, probably lowered the field of cars significantly (and even hot lapped solo), and it still was a bit questionable frame rate wise. and i still sat for a straight hour doing lap after lap on laguna seca!
For Dirt Rally and Project Cars 2 specifically? I wouldn't recommned that system.

I recently installed FCAT VR and did some benchmarking with the Project Cars 2 demo and Dirt Rally VR, to judge how my system would handle a Valve Index at 120hz/144hz. Both with the HTC Wireless adapter and the 5m cable.

4770k @4.2GHz, 2000Mhz DDR3, 1080 Ti SC2 +70/+340 Max P/T target.

I can share all my FCAT data with you if you want me to.

DR, 1913x2135 - 3.5 minute race, snow daytime, Custom settings
Cable: 180ps unconstrained, ~90 delivered and 16 dropped frames, sub 5.5ms avg frametimes overall. Good experience, but my rig is old.

WA: 137fps, ~88 delivered, between 90 and 500 dropped frames, 7.5ms avg frame time, lots of stuttering. Bearable.

PC2, 2138x2376 - 10 minute race, rain conditions, replay system, 1x in game SS, Custom settings
Cable: 70 fps delivered, 93 unconstrained, 10,000+ dropped frames, 10.66 avg frame time. Really Bad.

WA:: 48fps delivered, 77 unconstrained, 20, 000 dropped frames, 12.8ms avg frame time. Even worse.

That system is worse than mine. While I am supersampling, that's mostly a GPU related bottleneck. Based on the CPU/RAM alone - Build a new computer, I implore you. Project Cars 2 doesn't mess around at all.

Here are the Rift and Vive system requirements. For a WA, a 4+GHz 6 core system (Vive) or an 4-5GHz 8+ core (Vive Pro) is needed.

Last edited:

Uncle00Jesse

Nov 1, 2017
Can anyone help with calibration for beat saber? Everything is perfect except for the uppercut bottom up swipes. Sometimes they register later or not at all

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think honestly it's not a bad deal to get started with, a lot of people are going to recommend going full bore for best possible experience. But I think you can work from there.

$500 for that with the monitor is a really solid deal, you can use the deals I've shown you before to upgrade your PC in the future, offload the old parts and upgrade for a relatively small amount. Reach out to me later, when you decide to and I can help you find good deals on parts. the 2xxx ryzen processors are just great right now because they're clearing them out to get ready for 3 series.

Oct 25, 2017
Sebastian Ang from MRTV got his hands on a Reverb.

He gives his first impression of the fit in the video, and has now posted through the lens pics on his twitter. Most of them are all over the vr subs (r/windowsmr has most of them, with comparisons to other headsets).

Even though the Road to VR impression were harsh... these pics looks really juicy. Wanna see Index through the lens pics now.

Best one:
D6Ag81aWsAAupUK.jpg

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Ars had major issues and had to send two units back (both with identical issues across a host of computers.

No offense to MRTV, but I feel like he's never uttered a negative word about an HMD in his life. No matter what you're watching, he's going to sell it as the greatest thing ever invented. I'd definitely wait for less enthusiastic reviewers before anyone makes a buying purchase.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ars had major issues and had to send two units back (both with identical issues across a host of computers.

No offense to MRTV, but I feel like he's never uttered a negative word about an HMD in his life. No matter what you're watching, he's going to sell it as the greatest thing ever invented. I'd definitely wait for less enthusiastic reviewers before anyone makes a buying purchase.
Yea I really kind of fell off him pretty quick, as he just satrted to come off as, not inauthentic, just not ever really every getting too critical on anything.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

1070 gtx
16 gigs ram
500 gb ssd
1 tb hdd

thats a mid-high end PC imo. but that cpu is terribly old. If you are upgrading the cpu and motherboard that old, you will most likely need to buy new ram too.

Pc vr gaming isn't that complicated, just set them up, download steam on computer, buy vr games off it and play.

There are many VR headset choices by different companies, each having their own characteristics. But at the end of the day, they mostly does the same thing

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tempted. What's a used rift or vice go for? I only experienced the first prerelease Oculus dk1, I'd be stoked even to get one of those

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tempted. What's a used rift or vice go for? I only experienced the first prerelease Oculus dk1, I'd be stoked even to get one of those
Check Facebook and Craigslist in your area. You could probably find a used Rift for $200-250 or Vive for around $300-400
A used Windows MR headset wouldn't be a bad option either. It's room scale with a lot less setup, and over the last year Microsoft and Valve have made it overall a LOT better than when I first got mine. The tracking issues are all almost completely gone, and the fact that it only takes 1 HDMI and 1 USB 3.0 port (2 if you don't have bluetooth and you need to pickup a $15 adapter) is a big benefit. Since they've been on sale so many times, a second hand set should be easy enough to find as well.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I agree with the other posters that Windows Mixed Reality is a good option, but honestly, I think the Vive even today is a very solid choice. The tracking is still the best tethered roomscale tracking that exists, and the overall fidelity of experience is still very good. Especially given how you could slowly upgrade over time, like if in a year you want to move up you could buy the knuckles controllers, or the Index headset alone, and have those work with your existing tracking stations.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the other posters that Windows Mixed Reality is a good option, but honestly, I think the Vive even today is a very solid choice. The tracking is still the best tethered roomscale tracking that exists, and the overall fidelity of experience is still very good. Especially given how you could slowly upgrade over time, like if in a year you want to move up you could buy the knuckles controllers, or the Index headset alone, and have those work with your existing tracking stations.
Yea if you can find a used Vive for a reasonable price I would definitely go with it. It provides an amazing foundation to keep upgrading in the future as well. I'll be selling mine soon as I bought the full bundle for june. So I imagine there's a lot more that will be sold soon as well.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Vive is over 3 years old and with WMR headsets (especially Odysey+), Oculus Rift S and Valve Index, it now looks really outdated and overpriced (not to mention HTC customer support is still a dumpster fire). I would not buy it now for more than 399$ new and even that's too generous (why do you still need to buy the Deluxe Audio Strap separately?).
I've had my Vive for over 3 years and I've enjoyed using it for hundreds of hours, but at current price it's not a wise purchase, IMO.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Vive is over 3 years old and with WMR headsets (especially Odysey+), Oculus Rift S and Valve Index, it now looks really outdated and overpriced (not to mention HTC customer support is still a dumpster fire). I would not buy it now for more than 399$ new and even that's too generous (why do you still need to buy the Deluxe Audio Strap separately?).
I've had my Vive for over 3 years and I've enjoyed using it for hundreds of hours, but at current price it's not a wise purchase, IMO.

I find it hard to defend that as well. They should be replacing the new batches of og Vive with the Deluxe Audio Strap by now, and lower its price further more. Vive Pro HMD itself costing $799 is nonsense. You can buy an Oculus Rift S AND an Oculus Quest with that price tag.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im very suprised about the weird launch for the Index. No official videos of any kind from Valve, no game announcement(s) and it is not available to most of the world.