• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
What good crafting games are available for VR? Not so big on hunger/thirst meters but I guess they're unavoidable when the selection is so sparse.
I know there's of course Subnautica (but that's gamepad only and I played it to death before VR already), The Forest, Star Shelter and Minecraft with a VR mod.
God games also seem to be built more around hectic action than tranquil buildup with Tethered even making villagers die when you don't give them orders for long enough. Super Island God is level based and also seems to be designed around hectic play.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
What good crafting games are available for VR? Not so big on hunger/thirst meters but I guess they're unavoidable when the selection is so sparse.
I know there's of course Subnautica (but that's gamepad only and I played it to death before VR already), The Forest, Star Shelter and Minecraft with a VR mod.
God games also seem to be built more around hectic action than tranquil buildup with Tethered even making villagers die when you don't give them orders for long enough. Super Island God is level based and also seems to be designed around hectic play.

Can't think of any good builder games at the moment. Deisim is an alright god game though, it's sort of like Populous. It's just made by one guy so the updates take a while.

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing the Sword of Gargantua Open beta this weekend. It's come a long way since the early Itch.io alpha, but its not really an easy game to get into.

• Good
    • Performance has vastly improved. Went from constant re-projection (and thus a big resolution decrease being necessary) during the penultimate arena battle to flawless performance at 200% during the multiplayer arena battle - essentially the same enemy count, and now up to 3 real people OR NPCs fighting with you. Under wireless adapter conditions! Great stuff!
    • (Most) Enemy attacks were slowed down significantly, so us meaty humans can parry things reasonably
    • Weak points were added
    • Your Body's model and IK is greatly improved and is way less glitchy
    • Throwing was changed - from massively overshooting targets, to a "straight line" method. A learning curve applies, but its so much better now
    • Polished presentation. I really liked the 360 degree intro.
  • Eh
    • The power strike move where you could hold a weapon over your head at any time you wanted to charge an attack seems to have been removed. Using this moved made it very difficult to control your character, but it was a useful tool.
    • The gameplay loop has been finely tuned, but also simplified. Block until the enemy runs out of stamina and becomes vulnerable, flail at them as fast as you can.
      • You can parry the enemy and slow down time, but at a huge risk to yourself
  • Bad
    • Your character's general strength is way lower. Weapons have levels now. Grinding imminent.
    • The replacement for the power move is woefully insufficient.
      • You can only charge it by attacking enemies to fill a bar. Bar takes too much time to fill, and runs out very quickly
      • Activation involves holding your hand over the weapon for a long time. You can't have anything equipped in your non-dominate other hand when powering up.
      • Only applies to the single weapon. The older strike move could be used by both weapons while dual wielding.
    • Weapon durability is obnoxious. It breaks the pacing of the game when a weapon does break - you've got to scramble like around like a rat to find a new one.
      • Blocking with a weapon takes durability
    • Can only holster one weapon at a time, a designated one you equip from a menu
    • The enemy has unblockable moves. You have to dodge them... which brings me to:
  • Really Bad
    • Dodging is absolutely terrible in this game, but otherwise functional. Try staying inside your chaperone consistently, I dare you.
      • You have to hold left trigger and then lurch your real human body in a given direction
      • Takes almost a second to happen after you do it
      • Dodging "back in" is made impossible, because there's a delay/cooldown after you dodge
    • The controls in general are bad. Its very easy to hit the grip buttons on the vive controller: I'm dropping my weapons constantly because I'm having to HOLD the trigger to dodge and CLICK the touch pad all the time move in a specific direction.
  • Oh no
    • The animation system for enemies is super old school: instant turning, no real transitions from one animation to another. Makes offensive/defensive balance extremely difficult.
    • Your body, your weapons, and your enemy's weapons are governed by a physics/IK system. Meaning that you, your weapons, and your enemies weapons can get stuck on shit all the time (often each other). Everything has a "lag time" to it. Swings that you put your back into can come out like wet noodle whips. It gets worse if your framerate is lower. The enemies themselves/their animations and attacks are unaffected. Not fair.
  • OH LAWD
    • Outside of the "vulnerable" or "parried" states, the enemies don't have any kind of stagger/poise, unlike the physics based enemies in Gorn or B&S. If you try to whiff punish, they'll go through it really fast and mug you.
    • The Hit Detection for Blocking (shield/weapons) and Parrying is unreliable, bordering on BROKEN. This a problem, because:
      • Space management in this game is a nightmare
        • You're either too close or too far to your target, all the time. They'll reach over your guard no problem.
      • Enemies spam certain panic moves all the time, which makes No Damage Runs a nightmare
        • They kick you if you get too close, it damages you. The kick is the fastest attack in the game, and did not have its animations adjusted since the alpha
    • Annoying enemy types that are way more capable than the average human (you are the weakest link, goodbye!). Casters that leave damaging clouds of energy, Tanks with unblockable bayblade spinning attacks, grunts that walk twice as fast as you can run, etc.
    • Given all of the bs, the best strategy is cheese: spawn camping the enemy and then whacking them as fast as you can before they "activate." Doesn't work on the Tank, too much health.

I can't help but wonder if these devs - who are apparently based in japan(?) - haven't tried other games like Gorn or B&S. They're trying to do a Dark Souls/Mon Hun combo with Infinity Blade gameplay in VR, and it just doesn't work as well as it could. Its fun enough, but its a hell of a lot more frustrating than it has to be.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Keep your eye on A Township Tale. Pretty sure it's still free to get in to the alpha(beta?).

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Ah. Missed that you were looking for a single player one.
Sorry, forgot to mention that. Running into people in the damn tutorial already is just super jarring, multiplayer seems even more intrusive in VR with the forced voice chat and body language and doing that while you're tying to figure out the game at all makes it even more repulsive.

Also installed Minecraft with Vivecraft... Gotta say it doesn't feel that good in VR since the world isn't designed for a human's interaction range so you're mostly just pointing at things to interact with them. Also having to dig through the options menu and set everything up in almost every VR game or otherwise encountering all kinds of weird control setups shows that the conventions for VR design still need to be set in place. This feels akin to when you jumped by pressing up or had to shoot with the insert key back in the old days of 2D gaming.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, forgot to mention that. Running into people in the damn tutorial already is just super jarring, multiplayer seems even more intrusive in VR with the forced voice chat and body language and doing that while you're tying to figure out the game at all makes it even more repulsive.

Also installed Minecraft with Vivecraft... Gotta say it doesn't feel that good in VR since the world isn't designed for a human's interaction range so you're mostly just pointing at things to interact with them. Also having to dig through the options menu and set everything up in almost every VR game or otherwise encountering all kinds of weird control setups shows that the conventions for VR design still need to be set in place. This feels akin to when you jumped by pressing up or had to shoot with the insert key back in the old days of 2D gaming.
So for more chill single player ones, the only ones coming to mind are...

and Simplex mentioned:

To be honest, I think the survival genre is surprisingly underserved in VR (both in single player and multiplayer) considering how friendly it is to indie teams and early access. That and tthe fact that it is all about two things that work really well in VR: exploration and minute interactions with the world. Thinking about how much VR would add to the multiplayer element alone of something like Rust makes it a no brainer for someone to try but I haven't seen a real successful attempt at it yet.

devious.one

Oct 25, 2017
Taking the plunge with a Rift S this week. I've been doing a bit of research to figure out if I should buy what I can on the Steam store or just roll with the Oculus store.

What's the general consensus on this?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Taking the plunge with a Rift S this week. I've been doing a bit of research to figure out if I should buy what I can on the Steam store or just roll with the Oculus store.

What's the general consensus on this?
General advice is to always go with Steam since you won't be forced to use a third party solution in case you want to play those games on a non-Oculus headset one day. Really the only pro for Oculus is that Oculus Home/Dash is way better and more fully featured than SteamVR Home. Actually, I think you might be able to launch Steam games from Oculus Home. Can someone else answer that?

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
General advice is to always go with Steam since you won't be forced to use a third party solution in case you want to play those games on a non-Oculus headset one day. Really the only pro for Oculus is that Oculus Home/Dash is way better and more fully featured than SteamVR Home. Actually, I think you might be able to launch Steam games from Oculus Home. Can someone else answer that?

You can, indeed.

On the S... Do the original touch controllers work? Could you theoretically use one of each (ie, S left and CV1 right)? If so, would that help at all with the inside out tracking losing the controllers when one is in front of the other? Because the S has those newer Touch controllers with the circular part going over the controller instead of under, correct?

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I went from no interest in VR and never having tried it...to all of a sudden owning two VR kits lol.

Got hyped about the Rift S so I ordered it last week, picking it up tomorrow at Best Buy when it releases.

But I couldn't wait and I also wanted to play Astrobot (and Everybody's Golf VR), but then I saw the Blood and Truth trailer and previews...which lead me to the Ironman VR previews...and damn PSVR has some great VR exclusives! Had a lot of Amazon credit and well why not, been getting my first taste of VR this weekend with Astrobot and dang it's so cool! Tried out the Everybody's Golf VR demo with the DualShock (as a motion controller) and was turned off from it, it doesn't work that great with how you have to hold it. Went and bought some used PS Move controllers and holy crap what a difference that makes, you can hold it like an actual golf club and the tracking and accuracy was pretty solid and it instantly felt way more like you were in there and golfing for real. So awesome.

The PSVR screen is taking some getting used to though, the sweet spot is so small it's kinda sucky just moving my eyes to look around and everything that's not directly in the center area gets out of focus and colors start to fringe.

Please tell me the Rift S doesn't have such a small sweet spot? And PSVR seems kinda heavy, so im hoping Rift S will be a little lighter. Just hoping the jump in clarity is worth it tbh, PSVR is like going back to 480p and it's jarring at first.

I'm really excited to try out that Vader Immortal game and any of the bigger PCVR titles. Planning on just playing exclusives on the PSVR and everything else on Rift S.

devious.one

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the response. I was worried about a few post I read on Reddit saying that playing games through SteamVR can often times lead to issues. Is that not the case anymore?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I went from no interest in VR and never having tried it...to all of a sudden owning two VR kits lol.

Got hyped about the Rift S so I ordered it last week, picking it up tomorrow at Best Buy when it releases.

But I couldn't wait and I also wanted to play Astrobot (and Everybody's Golf VR), but then I saw the Blood and Truth trailer and previews...which lead me to the Ironman VR previews...and damn PSVR has some great VR exclusives! Had a lot of Amazon credit and well why not, been getting my first taste of VR this weekend with Astrobot and dang it's so cool! Tried out the Everybody's Golf VR demo with the DualShock (as a motion controller) and was turned off from it, it doesn't work that great with how you have to hold it. Went and bought some used PS Move controllers and holy crap what a difference that makes, you can hold it like an actual golf club and the tracking and accuracy was pretty solid and it instantly felt way more like you were in there and golfing for real. So awesome.

The PSVR screen is taking some getting used to though, the sweet spot is so small it's kinda sucky just moving my eyes to look around and everything that's not directly in the center area gets out of focus and colors start to fringe.

Please tell me the Rift S doesn't have such a small sweet spot? And PSVR seems kinda heavy, so im hoping Rift S will be a little lighter. Just hoping the jump in clarity is worth it tbh, PSVR is like going back to 480p and it's jarring at first.

I'm really excited to try out that Vader Immortal game and any of the bigger PCVR titles. Planning on just playing exclusives on the PSVR and everything else on Rift S.

I'm guessing you probably have an IPD on the High or Low range. Original Rift has a mechanical IPD adjuster and as a result to me it feels like it has a larger sweet spot than the PSVR even though the PSVR technically has a larger one. This is because my pupils actually are aligned with the center of the lens instead of being off to the side. I imagine you should expect a similar sweet spot on Rift S to PSVR because the S is software only IPD adjustment just like the PSVR. It probably won't be the same though since the S and PSVR use different types of lenses. I don't know which one will be bigger tho

If you have an iPhone X you can use this app to measure your IPD. Not sure if theres an android equivalent
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/eyemeasure/id1417435049?mt=8

Thanks for the response. I was worried about a few post I read on Reddit saying that playing games through SteamVR can often times lead to issues. Is that not the case anymore?
SteamVR can cause worse performance. Not sure if it's across the board or just on certain games. There's a program called OpenComposite that circumvents SteamVR and can even gain you performance back. A noteworthy example of performance gain is Skyrim VR which can net you a 20-30% performance boost.
https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/blob/master/README.md

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
FYI: Microsoft Store offers 10% "student" discount for the Rift S. So you can get it for $359.10 + tax

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I ever heard of it, but HTC just released the Vive Pro eye, which has eye tracking hardware. Is it the first commercial HMD with foveated rendering?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Ars Technica just put out a story with hands on for a few Oculus Studios titles including a new one Phantom: Covert Ops which is basically Metal Gear stealth meets kayaking (made a thread for it here).

Also a quick hands on with Lone Echo 2 and Asgard's Wrath. Apparently they'll be at E3 with those 3 plus Stormland.

Last edited:

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
I missed the No Man's Sky sale? I need to double dip I have it already on PS4..and I have a Vive...arrghhh

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Planning on just playing exclusives on the PSVR and everything else on Rift S.

This is me. Most stuff on Rift and PSVR for exclusives. You'll be wowed by the hand tracking upgrade with the Rift compared to PSVR. The Move controllers are pretty damn terrible for hand tracking compared to 1:1 PC solutions.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Installing the oculus application on my PC now. Can't wait to try out my Rift S after using some third party app and hardware to get my PSVR to work on my PC. I feel like this is going to be a major upgrade for me.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Installing the oculus application on my PC now. Can't wait to try out my Rift S after using some third party app and hardware to get my PSVR to work on my PC. I feel like this is going to be a major upgrade for me.

As a person who went from PSVR to the Rift, yeah... the tracking alone will be a huge upgrade.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
As a person who went from PSVR to the Rift, yeah... the tracking alone will be a huge upgrade.
well the problem with the third party hardware/software (nolo and trinus) I was using was that you had one sensor. i also had tons of issues with the throwing motion. So I'm hoping all my issues are remedied with this.
Man, that took forever to install. Starting it up in a few minutes!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
well the problem with the third party hardware/software (nolo and trinus) I was using was that you had one sensor. i also had tons of issues with the throwing motion. So I'm hoping all my issues are remedied with this.
Man, that took forever to install. Starting it up in a few minutes!
Throwing is pretty awkward on all VR hardware unfortunately. It's a surprisingly complex mechanic when you think about it since in real life your fingers come in to play a lot depending on what you're throwing (think about throwing a baseball for instance), and we're only just now getting controllers that could come close to mimicking that in any complex capacity (though without advanced haptic feedback it's still going to be off). I feel like VR devs need to start programming some cheats in to their throwing models to better mimic it instead of relying mostly on physics. For example when eye tracking comes along, they could use where you were looking while throwing to influence your thrown object in that direction.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
FYI: Microsoft Store offers 10% "student" discount for the Rift S. So you can get it for $359.10 + tax
so tempted.... but I want the ryzen 3k series cpu before I upgrade my computer and thus can't use the rift on my computer because I don't have any 3.0 ports just 2.0usb (at least I assume that it won't work on 2.0)

i also have enough bing points to get like $80 more off but i can also use those points on other things later.

Oct 28, 2017
Got my Rift S today and so far it's really great! The Vr quality is high and it's much clearer than the Vive I often used at a friend's place previously with much less SDE. Glad I used it to jump into VR.

Random thoughts:

-I ordered some PSVR headphones for it on EBay that never came so I am using the built in audio. It's not the best but I am excited about upgrading that later.

-So far some of my SteamVR games work and some have issues. Like Star Trek Bridge Commander isn't working because it's expecting the old touch controller or something even when running using the OculusSDK. Everything Oculus store based I bought beforehand works great.

-overall I am happy with performance in the games I have played on my 1080

-I am wondering what game to get next. Humble Bundle has Arizona Sunshine Oculus key's on sale but I keep reading mixed reviews on that game. It's either that or Raw Data next.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Got my Rift S today and so far it's really great! The Vr quality is high and it's much clearer than the Vive I often used at a friend's place previously with much less SDE. Glad I used it to jump into VR.

Random thoughts:

-I ordered some PSVR headphones for it on EBay that never came so I am using the built in audio. It's not the best but I am excited about upgrading that later.

-So far some of my SteamVR games work and some have issues. Like Star Trek Bridge Commander isn't working because it's expecting the old touch controller or something even when running using the OculusSDK. Everything Oculus store based I bought beforehand works great.

-overall I am happy with performance in the games I have played on my 1080

-I am wondering what game to get next. Humble Bundle has Arizona Sunshine Oculus key's on sale but I keep reading mixed reviews on that game. It's either that or Raw Data next.
I've had a handful of issues during install and play so far. During install it told me to reinstall drivers. Then getting it to work with Steam VR worked about 50% of the time (it would tell me something wasn't starting up correctly and I had to force close VR server). It also keeps telling me that my USB 3.0 port is incompatible, and I have to switch it and then switch it back. When it does work its great though. I am now having an issue where it doesn't show my hands in Vacation simulator...

Oct 28, 2017
I've had a handful of issues during install and play so far. During install it told me to reinstall drivers. Then getting it to work with Steam VR worked about 50% of the time (it would tell me something wasn't starting up correctly and I had to force close VR server). It also keeps telling me that my USB 3.0 port is incompatible, and I have to switch it and then switch it back. When it does work its great though. I am now having an issue where it doesn't show my hands in Vacation simulator...

I keep having some Steam games only recognize the left Touch controller and not the right one. Luckily there is a lot of free content I am enjoying so overall I can wait for fixes.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Just ordered the Rift S from Newegg. No tax baby, woohoo!

So are the people having trouble with steamVR something that's unique to the rift s? Or was this an issue with the OG Rift?
I have a bunch of games that came with VR support on steam so I'm hoping those work.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Is everyone experiencing the issue of haptics not working with the Rift S in SteamVR? Was at a friend's yesterday and Beat Saber without haptics was very strange!

Edit: I was impressed by the Rift S hand tracking though.

Last edited:

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
J37xayX.jpg

Random thoughts on the Rift S. (Originally owned a Vive, and have a Rift CV1 + PSVR)

-- Setup is much simpler than before, drawing your boundaries on the floor is pretty great, and quick.

-- I feel it's more comfy than the CV1, but not as comfy as the PSVR due to the facial interface. It's possible I need to make some further adjustments on this however.

-- The screen, now, I haven't used my CV1 in a while, so it's not "fresh" in my mind. At first, the extra clarity is evident, but I wasn't blown away. The more I used the HMD though, the more I began to notice how much sharper things were. Text is definitely much easier to read, and distant objects are more pronounced. Seeing those ugly NPCs in SkyrimVR with this level of clarity was something else. Godrays still exist, but in my not-so-professional analysis, they've been diminished by ~70%.

-- LCD vs OLED, I feared this may be an issue, but in truth, it honestly wasn't. Black levels are not much different than my CV1, and colors are actually more vibrant on the S. If anything, the CV1 always felt muted in comparison to a Vive, and the S brings it closer to the Vive, with a brighter image and better colors.

-- Audio, yeah, dunno WTF Oculus was thinking. It's somewhat serviceable for goofing around, but if you want to be immersed, you're definitely going to want to use your own headphones/earbuds. It's unfortunate that one of the perks of the original CV1 is gone.

-- Tracking, honestly, I spent like 2 hours with the S, and I never even thought about the tracking. It just worked, and it honestly didn't feel much different from my previous 3 sensor setup. If anything, some aspects were better, such as grabbing items off the floor or tracking above my head. (At 6'3" I had some issues with tracking in these areas previously. Granted, I don't play Pavlov or any other FPS game where the tracking may be an issue.

-- Controllers feel about the same, minor thing, but I actually prefer the tracking halo above. Controllers are more stable when setting them down. ;)

For those asking about SteamVR, as much as I hate to be locked to the Oculus store, I personally prefer to purchase from there. SteamVR has always felt janky to me. At times, and particularly when trying to exit a game, it will just hang, and Steam will stop responding. Forcing me to kill it via Oculus Home. Then SteamVR refuses to work properly till after a reboot is done. Stuff on the Oculus Home is easily accessible, and it always works properly, at least in my experience. Additionally, I'm having an issue with SteamVR where it doesn't always bring up the Steam Menu when pressing the menu button on the Oculus controller. Forcing me to kill Steam in order to launch a different game/app. (Tried the beta version of SteamVR and the issue persists, I'm certain it will be resolved eventually.) That being said, I never heard of OpenComposite and am eager to give that a shot.

Edit: Other random musings, SDE is far improved, but still visible, especially on a solid color. (Far better than the CV1/Vive though and better than PSVR as well.) Rift cable is also longer than the original, though it's a bit thicker and heavier.

(Oh and for reference, my IPD is ~69, and I didn't have an issue with the S.)

Last edited:

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Is everyone experiencing the issue of haptics not working with the Rift S in SteamVR? Was at a friend's yesterday and Beat Saber without haptics was very strange!

Edit: I was impressed by the Rift S hand tracking though.

Yes, seems the haptics aren't working at the moment while in SteamVR. I think this also occurred when the Touch Controllers were first supported in SteamVR as well, I'm sure it'll be taken care of.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use PSVR only for exclusives, I buy all my Rift games on SteamVR and Oculus exclusives on Oculus Store.

That's that Ive been doing since I bought my Rift in January.

I guess Im lucky that Ive never had any problems with SteamVR.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
J37xayX.jpg

Random thoughts on the Rift S. (Originally owned a Vive, and have a Rift CV1 + PSVR)

-- Setup is much simpler than before, drawing your boundaries on the floor is pretty great, and quick.

-- I feel it's more comfy than the CV1, but not as comfy as the PSVR due to the facial interface. It's possible I need to make some further adjustments on this however.

-- The screen, now, I haven't used my CV1 in a while, so it's not "fresh" in my mind. At first, the extra clarity is evident, but I wasn't blown away. The more I used the HMD though, the more I began to notice how much sharper things were. Text is definitely much easier to read, and distant objects are more pronounced. Seeing those ugly NPCs in SkyrimVR with this level of clarity was something else. Godrays still exist, but in my not-so-professional analysis, they've been diminished by ~70%.

-- LCD vs OLED, I feared this may be an issue, but in truth, it honestly wasn't. Black levels are not much different than my CV1, and colors are actually more vibrant on the S. If anything, the CV1 always felt muted in comparison to a Vive, and the S brings it closer to the Vive, with a brighter image and better colors.

-- Audio, yeah, dunno WTF Oculus was thinking. It's somewhat serviceable for goofing around, but if you want to be immersed, you're definitely going to want to use your own headphones/earbuds. It's unfortunate that one of the perks of the original CV1 is gone.

-- Tracking, honestly, I spent like 2 hours with the S, and I never even thought about the tracking. It just worked, and it honestly didn't feel much different from my previous 3 sensor setup. If anything, some aspects were better, such as grabbing items off the floor or tracking above my head. (At 6'3" I had some issues with tracking in these areas previously. Granted, I don't play Pavlov or any other FPS game where the tracking may be an issue.

-- Controllers feel about the same, minor thing, but I actually prefer the tracking halo above. Controllers are more stable when setting them down. ;)

For those asking about SteamVR, as much as I hate to be locked to the Oculus store, I personally prefer to purchase from there. SteamVR has always felt janky to me. At times, and particularly when trying to exit a game, it will just hang, and Steam will stop responding. Forcing me to kill it via Oculus Home. Then SteamVR refuses to work properly till after a reboot is done. Stuff on the Oculus Home is easily accessible, and it always works properly, at least in my experience. Additionally, I'm having an issue with SteamVR where it doesn't always bring up the Steam Menu when pressing the menu button on the Oculus controller. Forcing me to kill Steam in order to launch a different game/app. (Tried the beta version of SteamVR and the issue persists, I'm certain it will be resolved eventually.) That being said, I never heard of OpenComposite and am eager to give that a shot.

(Oh and for reference, my IPD is ~69, and I didn't have an issue with the S.)

Thanks for the thoughts! Do you feel like you can wear headphones with the halo design?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
SteamVR has always felt janky to me. At times, and particularly when trying to exit a game, it will just hang, and Steam will stop responding. Forcing me to kill it via Oculus Home. Then SteamVR refuses to work properly till after a reboot is done. Stuff on the Oculus Home is easily accessible, and it always works properly, at least in my experience. Additionally, I'm having an issue with SteamVR where it doesn't always bring up the Steam Menu when pressing the menu button on the Oculus controller. Forcing me to kill Steam in order to launch a different game/app. (Tried the beta version of SteamVR and the issue persists, I'm certain it will be resolved eventually.) That being said, I never heard of OpenComposite and am eager to give that a shot.
I think one of the oddest things about Valve's VR initiative is how little attention and minimal work they seem to have put in to the SteamVR experience. It's odd because they're constantly updating it but it's mostly stability stuff and to keep it up to date with every headset that gets released, with the occasional new feature here and there. We are 3 years from launch and they're still basically throwing Big Picture Mode up on a big screen in front of you, giving you a tab for your VR library (which isn't even called that and isn't even the default) and calling it a day. You still need a third party plugin to access basic features like switching your audio output/input from inside the headset, the scrolling and navigating is extremely wonky for most people, the pointer is over used and inaccurate for a lot of actions (try using it in virtual desktop view) and the UX in general is pretty bad. The only good things I can say about it is that it's lightweight and the virtual keyboard works pretty well with the touch pads (though that still probably isn't the best way to do that). Meanwhile Oculus has a from the ground up made for VR UI experience that takes full advantage of the medium. Valve is really dropping the ball on that aspect. It doesn't matter how good your hardware is if it's hampered by bad software.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Hearing about some major problems with the Rift S tracking. If you're into fps shooters you're going to have a rough time. Aiming down sights, reloading and grenade throwing all have issues across the board.

My and others premonitions were correct. I want inside out tracking to be the future, seems its not quite there yet.