• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Cause I can see the SDE that much, ha.

True though. In the future I just wanna get out of the Oculus ecosystem, but don't wanna fork $1k for an Index. That's probably the best option though, just waiting for the Index to drop, even if that's 2 years from now.
as Flandy has made it clear to me, what you really are going to want to wait for is eye tracking. that will make a huge difference.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thinking of upgrading my Oculus Rift to an Oculus Rift S mostly for playing certain games in seated position.
My set up has my main play area not directly behind my PC. Making it a pain in the ass to play anything from a seated position without dragging a chair into an area that normally would not have one. Thoughts?

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of upgrading my Oculus Rift to an Oculus Rift S mostly for playing certain games in seated position.
My set up has my main play area not directly behind my PC. Making it a pain in the ass to play anything from a seated position without dragging a chair into an area that normally would not have one. Thoughts?
I upgraded my Rift to a Rift S and love it. It's a bigger upgrade to me than I thought it would be. It's so easy to move around and set up wherever in just a few seconds.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any wants to have VR on the go?
if so you could also look into streaming the the quest.
It's what I've been doing recently because while my PC is powerful enough to run VR games I don't have a 3.0 port so couldn't do a traditional headset (and mostly I wanted to be able to play beat saber where ever)
but I've played thumper via streaming and keep talking and no body explodes and both ran well. I don't know how bad the compression is though. in general it looks better than the quest/psvr versions but I can't be sure if it's as good as a normal headset.
my SO did some hellblade but they didn't make it very long before the experience got to them lol.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I upgraded my Rift to a Rift S and love it. It's a bigger upgrade to me than I thought it would be. It's so easy to move around and set up wherever in just a few seconds.
That's the little nudge I needed. Thanks.

It's what I've been doing recently because while my PC is powerful enough to run VR games I don't have a 3.0 port so couldn't do a traditional headset (and mostly I wanted to be able to play beat saber where ever)
but I've played thumper via streaming and keep talking and no body explodes and both ran well. I don't know how bad the compression is though. in general it looks better than the quest/psvr versions but I can't be sure if it's as good as a normal headset.
my SO did some hellblade but they didn't make it very long before the experience got to them lol.
Quest seems cool but not really needed for me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Any impressions of Fast and Low? Looks like an arcadey SWAT-a-like and seems fun if a little early.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Not that it matters, but just want to point out you can buy cheap USB 3.0 expansion card (for PCI). Or if it's something like the Vive or Valve Index, you only need USB 3.0 if you want camera pass-through. As far as I'm concerned, those cameras were a complete waste of money on the Vive. So nothing much is lost if you don't install the drivers for camera pass-through.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Not that it matters, but just want to point out you can buy cheap USB 3.0 expansion card (for PCI). Or if it's something like the Vive or Valve Index, you only need USB 3.0 if you want camera pass-through. As far as I'm concerned, those cameras were a complete waste of money on the Vive. So nothing much is lost if you don't install the drivers for camera pass-through.
That's likely all true, but my computer is like 9 years old now (and thanks to supporting a 1070 gtx and my second gen i7 can still play modern games at like high settings for 1080p) so if I get some usb 3.0 slots I will likely just get a whole new computer. At that point I might pick up a proper PC headset and then stream from my SO's computer when we want to play some co op VR but for now this is fine.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Having a lot of trouble trying to get my Index to run

Basically SteamVR crashes every few minutes in every game I've tried so far.
Even had a few hard locks. Can't remember getting any hard locks at all in the last few years. Also none of my 2D games crash. My PC is used strictly for gaming and as clean as it gets.

Basically after a few minutes the screen (of the headset) turns grey and nothing happens or responds anymore. I can still hear the sound of the game.
All drivers are up to date. Firmwares are updated. Re installed SteamVR already. Nothing seems to work. It might not even be a SteamVR problem.

I will try different USB ports tomorrow. Maybe there is a power issue.

Also how do you set your IPD for the Index? Sliding the button from side to side I barely notice any difference. How do you find the perfect setting?

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Also how do you set your IPD for the Index? Sliding the button from side to side I barely notice any difference. How do you find the perfect setting?
This is going to sound really silly but bear with me: Are you sure your headset is at the right height? My first time I was wearing it slightly low, resting on my nose, and since everything was slightly blurry I also found the IPD adjustments made little difference. Once I set it correctly everything became much more clear and the correct IPD setting was easy to find.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
That's good. They kind of ruined my Vive for me when I had it. I loved the Oculus touch controllers, their ergonomics were sublime.
Opinion: New Touch are a downgrade - Oculus removed the thumbrest, and the tracking rings were moved to accomodate inside out tracking, and the controllers are not well balanced as a result. Battery cover tends to slide open with fast movements (especially in beat saber), also with fast movements inertia causes the batteries inside the controllers to disconnect from the contact leads, which leads to them losing tacking for a split second (which can be fatal in beat saber on high difficulty levels).
If you read opinions about the new trackers on the internet (i.e. reddit), you'll see that many people view them as a downgrade compared to the golden standard of the OG Touch.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got a Rift S and plan on selling my Oculus Rift that I got back in 2016. I've only used it a handful of times because I find the whole sensor setup incredibly annoying. I'm glad to hear the beta patch apparently resolves much of the tracking issues. I'm OK with a minor downgrade overall if it means I actually use it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just got a Rift S off E-Bay, used once for £336. Coming from PSVR to PC I'm looking forward to seeing the differences.

Great work! There'll be a ton of PCVR stuff that you will have missed too.

My first recommendations are always totally non-gaming related weirdly. Google Earth VR is still probably my favourite VR experience and Oculus Medium is profound. Try that and then imagine trying to do it with Dualshocks and one camera.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My Rift S arrives today!
Trying to decide if I should keep my CV1 Rift or not as I actually have two VR capable machines. Any good multiplayer party type games that would benefit from 2 local VR setups?
Do the OG touch controllers work with the Rift S?

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
Anyone play Pavlov VR
Yeah, since the last big patch, which improved alot and introduced better weapon models, weapon mods, and made custom game modes better (among other things) it's the game I play the most these days and the best game in the genre (sry Onward old pal)

For that price everyone should get it. With the custom games you got stuff like battle royale, gun games and zombie-modes.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, since the last big patch, which improved alot and introduced better weapon models, weapon mods, and made custom game modes better (among other things) it's the game I play the most these days and the best game in the genre (sry Onward old pal)

For that price everyone should get it. With the custom games you got stuff like battle royale, gun games and zombie-modes.
Oh wow been a long while since I played Pavlov. Definitely need to check it out again.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Before steam sale ends just wanted to say don't sleep on Vanishing Realms. It's an old game but I have been having tons of fun in it, it just got updated and the dev said he is adding an expansion soon.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone play Pavlov VR? Just picked it up in the Steam sale for £4.19. Sounds like a bargain.

Pavlov VR is probably the killer app for me, I play it the most.

The main draw for me is the many community maps they create, a lot of which are remakes of popular maps from other games in VR, which is pretty cool.

They really nailed the gameplay, too, especially for such an early VR game.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if Best Buy demos the Rift S in store? I kind of just want to see what the image quality looks like compared to the PSVR I demo'd way back when. My biggest beef with current VR is that the lack of horizontal FOV really takes me out of the immersion due to the absence of any kind of peripheral vision . . . something i never realized would be so important to me and immersion until I tried my first headset. I have a feeling VR won't really be a thing for me until/if that is solved.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if Best Buy demos the Rift S in store? I kind of just want to see what the image quality looks like compared to the PSVR I demo'd way back when. My biggest beef with current VR is that the lack of horizontal FOV really takes me out of the immersion due to the absence of any kind of peripheral vision . . . something i never realized would be so important to me and immersion until I tried my first headset. I have a feeling VR won't really be a thing for me until/if that is solved.

Buy a pimax. Not being flippant - none of the current mass market devices are signficantly different in horizontal FoV. Pimax is.

I'm hoping for some smart thinking in that arena - higher res = keeping low ppi because you're stretching it too far. Give me current FoV with 4k per eye, and augment with a lower res image around the edges or even Leds to provide some sensation of light/movement

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
That's actually a decent idea.

I have a Vive and am currently debating whether to accept my reservation invite on the Index. The Quest is awesome and a huge reason I'm waffling big time on the Index. Wireless VR is awesome. And even media. 3D movies on a huge virtual theater (Skybox app) looks awesome on those Quest OLED screens.

EDIT: Major downside of the Quest is comfort. I very well may have returned mine had I not done the Vive Deluxe Audio strap frankenmod to it. It would have been torture trying to watch a two hour movie with the stock strap.

Second EDIT: Frankenmod with counter-weight. Because the frankenmod by itself doesn't fix much. The counter-weight is needed to get all that weight off the face.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have a Vive and am currently debating whether to accept my reservation invite on the Index. The Quest is awesome and a huge reason I'm waffling big time on the Index. Wireless VR is awesome. And even media. 3D movies on a huge virtual theater (Skybox app) looks awesome on those Quest OLED screens.

EDIT: Major downside of the Quest is comfort. I very well may have returned mine had I not done the Vive Deluxe Audio strap frankenmod to it. It would have been torture trying to watch a two hour movie with the stock strap.

Second EDIT: Frankenmod with counter-weight. Because the frankenmod by itself doesn't fix much. The counter-weight is needed to get all that weight off the face.
Thanks. The more I think about it the more having a Quest to go along with the Rift S makes sense for me. My PC is in my basement that has low ceilings. Not too big of a deal as I'm used to it. But being able to play stuff like Dance Central in my living room with high ceilings and more area would be way better for me and guests.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. The more I think about it the more having a Quest to go along with the Rift S makes sense for me. My PC is in my basement that has low ceilings. Not too big of a deal as I'm used to it. But being able to play stuff like Dance Central in my living room with high ceilings and more area would be way better for me and guests.

Wireless native quest stuff
Wired pc native stuff
Wireless streaming PC stuff
Multiplayer with any combination above (eg red room you could do native quest + native rift, or native rift plus streamed 2nd PC to quest)

Great combination

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Agree but some people are ok with the regular strap. I bought a 10000mah battery and haven't actually used it as a battery yet - just a counterweight

Oct 28, 2017
So recently there has been some discussion on Reddit of how most VR games were designed for OLEDs, and therefore the Gamma levels (among other things) are off for games on LCD headsets. Someone posted this hack to fix the gamma in Vadar Immortal and holy hell does it work. It's a MASSIVE difference, and makes for a much more immersive experience (enough I want to play the story mode again).

This particular hack works with all Unreal Engine games, and so someone else put together some hacks for other VR games. Of that list I have only Batman VR and Moss but both were noticeably improved by the change (not as much as Vadar Immortal though, that game is just broken in the stock state). I recommend everyone with a LCD headset (so Index and Rift S) try it, and maybe we can even find more Unreal games not on that list.

The REALLY exciting concept, and the one that Reddit didn't flush out, is changing this for Unity games (aka the more common engine for big VR titles). A poster pointed out that there is an asset file for those games with a gamma value in it that can be edited in Visual Studio as shown here. The poster did it for Beat Saber and said it made a huge difference, which I believe because it always looked washed out on the Rift S.

Does anyone here with the motivation to try have Visual Studio to try this mod? Or does someone know some other way to mod this asset files?

I feel like this is something that can really really improve everyone's experience in both the Rift S and Index camps.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So recently there has been some discussion on Reddit of how most VR games were designed for OLEDs, and therefore the Gamma levels (among other things) are off for games on LCD headsets. Someone posted this hack to fix the gamma in Vadar Immortal and holy hell does it work. It's a MASSIVE difference, and makes for a much more immersive experience (enough I want to play the story mode again).

This particular hack works with all Unreal Engine games, and so someone else put together some hacks for other VR games. Of that list I have only Batman VR and Moss but both were noticeably improved by the change (not as much as Vadar Immortal though, that game is just broken in the stock state). I recommend everyone with a LCD headset (so Index and Rift S) try it, and maybe we can even find more Unreal games not on that list.

The REALLY exciting concept, and the one that Reddit didn't flush out, is changing this for Unity games (aka the more common engine for big VR titles). A poster pointed out that there is an asset file for those games with a gamma value in it that can be edited in Visual Studio as shown here. The poster did it for Beat Saber and said it made a huge difference, which I believe because it always looked washed out on the Rift S.

Does anyone here with the motivation to try have Visual Studio to try this mod? Or does someone know some other way to mod this asset files?

I feel like this is something that can really really improve everyone's experience in both the Rift S and Index camps.

For anyone interested in doing it themselves, there are free versions of Visual Studio out there. Unity, in fact, bundles it with their engine downloads.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to do this. I just played through Vader again on the Rift S after first playing it on the Quest and the black levels make it look so, so bad, but I also figured could be kinda easily fixed with something like this. Thanks for showing us.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone interested in doing it themselves, there are free versions of Visual Studio out there. Unity, in fact, bundles it with their engine downloads.
Can probably just use visual studio code. But if it's C# you could also use text editors like Sublime etc. Or is it a VS project?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Will definitely try this out if I feel my Index is looking washed out. Has anyone played Vader Immortal on their Vive/Index yet?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That seems super shortsighted. Aren't many wmr headsets lcd - why wouldn't you have two gamma profiles and switch between them?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Is modding the original Vive with the Gear VR lens still a thing, and would one recommend it? If so, is there a place where I can buy some sort of kit that comes with everything I need to achieve this?

When I first read about the Gear VR mod, it sounded too good to be true. Significantly larger sweet spot, minimal god rays and reduction of those rings on the original lens. It almost sounded like there was no negatives at all (other than voiding your warranty I guess). Having to constantly focus at the center of the Vive's small sweet spot and forcing myself to move my head just to view things around seems to tire me out more quickly and give me headaches.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is modding the original Vive with the Gear VR lens still a thing, and would one recommend it? If so, is there a place where I can buy some sort of kit that comes with everything I need to achieve this?

When I first read about the Gear VR mod, it sounded too good to be true. Significantly larger sweet spot, minimal god rays and reduction of those rings on the original lens. It almost sounded like there was no negatives at all (other than voiding your warranty I guess). Having to constantly focus at the center of the Vive's small sweet spot and forcing myself to move my head just to view things around seems to tire me out more quickly and give me headaches.
I believe so, I still have 3D printed adapters for it. Let me know if you need a pair, I'm selling my Vive so I don't need them. You cover shipping and they're yours.

Oct 28, 2017
That seems super shortsighted. Aren't many wmr headsets lcd - why wouldn't you have two gamma profiles and switch between them?

The real solution would be some sort of OS-level control provided by Oculus/Steam but the improvement is too large to wait for something like that (apparently Pimax has something like that).

Its kinda amazing how much low hanging fruit there is in VR. Like how $100 in accessories (Mamut grips, Mantis Bionik, new ear cups for Bionik) dramatically improves the Rift S experience or people are taking apart $250 Index controllers trying to improve them. It feels like PC gaming in the 1990s did.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Am I the only one that loves how they handled the audio on the Rift S? Everyone complains about it but I think it's the perfect solution. The open design works great for talking to people while using or trying to talk to them while using.
Sure the audio is not great for serious sound but neither was the original Rift or any of the other headsets to be honest. Now I get to plug in my own headphones giving me a far superior audio experience when wanted.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that loves how they handled the audio on the Rift S? Everyone complains about it but I think it's the perfect solution. The open design works great for talking to people while using or trying to talk to them while using.
Sure the audio is not great for serious sound but neither was the original Rift or any of the other headsets to be honest. Now I get to plug in my own headphones giving me a far superior audio experience when wanted.

I have no idea how the Rift S sounds, but a lot of people complained about the Quest (including, for reasons I can't fathom, not being loud enough), and I thought it was fantastic. Great spacial sounding, too. My only complaint was zero sound isolation. It would literally fill the room with sound. I think the Deluxe audio strap headphones sound slightly better, but the don't have the spacial quality that the speakers had.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the quest sound too. It was loud enough, had nice positional sound, and you weren't cut off if someone needs to talk to you

I modded mine with the vive deluxe audio strap and several times I wish I wasn't so cut off from the outside

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Finally! It looked so blurry on my Odyssey, I thought my lenses got misaligned at first. It'll be nice to be able to re-install Windows 1903 again.

Also promising from the WMR beta: "DX12 motion estimation on Windows 1903 machines for faster motion vector generation by lowering CPU cost and improving overlap of GPU work."

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Finally! It looked so blurry on my Odyssey, I thought my lenses got misaligned at first. It'll be nice to be able to re-install Windows 1903 again.

Also promising from the patch: "DX12 motion estimation on Windows 1903 machines for faster motion vector generation by lowering CPU cost and improving overlap of GPU work."
That thing I don't know if it's gonna be of much importance. Is there any DX12 VR games right now?