• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So my Quest has updated itself, but the PC app update isn't available yet, and so I've been locked out of PCVR for the time being.
Fuck me, I wanted to continue playing boneworks.
I can help.
join the beta
ggibQJo.png

and update to that installing new drivers and what not.

it should make the link work again... just hope it goes better for you as my steamVR is kind of screwed up because of the update (my oculus store stuff is fine though)

that being said someone else was reporting that boneworks in particular was working better for them.

tonight is going to be for 360 beat saber songs though so I don't care if it takes a few days for my steam vr link to work again (plus the only game I can't really play on steam VR is beat saber... which I have on the quest.... the others I can play via virtual desktop well enough)

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I can help.
join the beta
ggibQJo.png

and update to that installing new drivers and what not.

it should make the link work again... just hope it goes better for you as my steamVR is kind of screwed up because of the update (my oculus store stuff is fine though)

that being said someone else was reporting that boneworks in particular was working better for them.

tonight is going to be for 360 beat saber songs though so I don't care if it takes a few days for my steam vr link to work again (plus the only game I can't really play on steam VR is beat saber... which I have on the quest.... the others I can play via virtual desktop well enough)
giphy.gif

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
alright just got done playing the new update in beat saber.
first off I like their new menu design. it should make custom songs and future dlc cleaner.
I love that they added a favorites option and full playlist option as well.
I hate that they still didn't add a native random song option to those as I would love to be able to play a random song across my entire library.

now for a little bit on the dlc.

the greenday pack seems well mapped, but it's censored. Not that I really expected it not to be, and not that there is much to censor with the song choices just a single fuck. (unless I'm missing something in the other songs but I think it's just broken dreams with a missing thing) it seems to come with "two" new stages. One for the american idiot songs with the iconic heart and one without that for the other songs

and the other bit of this update... the 360/90 songs.
O_O so fun.
I feel like they might be a pain in the ass if you have a cord if it's not hanging from above you though. I was playing on the quest so wireless freedom but some of the songs I'm pretty sure turned me at least 540 which would require me to reposition the cord in the middle. I imagine the 90 degree stuff will be fine (I didn't bother with that)

"Emperor's New Clothes" (Panic! At The Disco Music Pack) at the expert level had my favorite moment in the 360
with bombs flying at you from every direction at once

I do recommend people start on some of the easier songs as picking up all the new tracks and understanding the flow of the notes in 360 is similar to when you start out. You don't need long on the easier tracks to work your way back up, but I feel it helped quite a bit as it took me a few songs to get used to actually glancing around for notes. But in general the lighting and what not guides you well.

edit: oops I missed american idiot was in the pack. I'm sure that one was censored as well lol.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
So my Quest has updated itself, but the PC app update isn't available yet, and so I've been locked out of PCVR for the time being.
Fuck me, I wanted to continue playing boneworks.

At least your Quest was the one that updated first. My PC app updated, but not my Quest, and there's no work-around for that scenario.

It's something they're gonna need to look at, because I certainly don't want Oculus Link to render itself unusable anytime an update hit the PC app first.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Unfortunately, doesn't seem that great:

Might buy when its 5 dollars to try out via Revive.
It's worth 20. It's an arcade brawler that's extremely polished. At first, I thought it was a little shallow also, but upon playing it I realized that it really is the full realization of a what an arcade brawler would be in first person VR. More akin to Final Fight than Guardian Heroes. Bosses have patterns, enemies have fun visual design and some fight variety, and the world looks great. It's not complex but it's very fun. As for Upload's complaint about being poorly implemented in VR, I disagree. They had complaints about a lack of physics and pressure sensitive interactivity. That's Drunken Bar fight, and even there it's poorly implemented. Here, animations are baked in. The result keeps the gameplay fast and fluid without concern for collision issues around the inevitable multiple enemies you'll be surrounded by.
The backgrounds are surprisingly interactive. You can't pick up a table to hit an enemy with (is there a brawler that you can?) but you can use cue sticks, every jar/bottle, sign, deep fry grill, and damn near anything else that looks like it can be picked up.

It's an excellent throwback brawler.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been able to play the 360 Beat Saber tracks yet because of my front facing setup but the 90 tracks are awesome. Boo at the Green Day songs being censored though, I think I'll just go back to playing my custom track versions of those songs as it kind of ruins it.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Between the facebook purchase and censored songs I'm personally done buying DLC for the game. I can already expect any full sequels or future projects to not be on Steam anyway.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been able to play the 360 Beat Saber tracks yet because of my front facing setup but the 90 tracks are awesome. Boo at the Green Day songs being censored though, I think I'll just go back to playing my custom track versions of those songs as it kind of ruins it.
Between the facebook purchase and censored songs I'm personally done buying DLC for the game. I can already expect any full sequels or future projects to not be on Steam anyway.
there never was a real chance that the songs wouldn't be censored.
it's rated at e for everyone

having DLC that was uncensored could upset a number of parents, and it's just not worth it. I imagine people will mod in uncensored versions of the songs soon enough anyway.

I would prefer if they offered the DLC as censored and uncensored with a clear warning that the uncensored version isn't for kids, but it is what it is.

at least unlike with rock band I'm not singing along with the songs so it doesn't bother me as much.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
there never was a real chance that the songs wouldn't be censored.
it's rated at e for everyone

having DLC that was uncensored could upset a number of parents, and it's just not worth it. I imagine people will mod in uncensored versions of the songs soon enough anyway.

I would prefer if they offered the DLC as censored and uncensored with a clear warning that the uncensored version isn't for kids, but it is what it is.

at least unlike with rock band I'm not singing along with the songs so it doesn't bother me as much.
That's not the problem really, I don't expect them to change their rating for DLC but they could have done a better job than just bleeping out the words. For a rhythm game it kind of ruins it a bit, the least they could have done would have been to fade the vocals out of the swear words it would have been less jarring as you're playing.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
That's not the problem really, I don't expect them to change their rating for DLC but they could have done a better job than just bleeping out the words. For a rhythm game it kind of ruins it a bit, the least they could have done would have been to fade the vocals out of the swear words it would have been less jarring as you're playing.
I didn't play american idiot, but for broken dreams they just faded the vocals out for the fucked.
does american idiot actually make a bleep sound?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else ever have this issue with Beat Saber where it keeps spiking the GPU? It was pretty consistently doing that to me before on load giving me about 15fps but then it would go away after about 5 seconds. Now it won't go away.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
These green screen videos are so cool. Props to the people who first came up with the idea or tools needed to show the player somewhat accurately inside the game like this.
another one of the people I follow did one as well, but the video cuts to keep the focus on the game the whole time was jarring and made me a bit sick to watch lol.

but yeah I like these videos a lot. I follow a few people who do them because they are by far the easiest way for me to judge if a map will be enjoyable or not.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
How does Piston Whip compare to Beat Saber?

Very different. Pistol Whip is a lot more complex and based on body movement to dodge, and you set the tempo more with your gunshots. Mastering it is more about quickly and accurately hitting the targets in the right order that they're going to fire in, and if you do it to the beat and in the right order you can often prevent them from firing so you don't have to dodge as many bullets. Comparatively low arm movement but lots of ducking, squatting and dodging.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a rhythm/music game where instead of blocks you have to target enemies? I can imagine in my head how it would be. Surely someone has done it. Suggestions?

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I refunded Boneworks. I was hoping to like it but it's a big no from me. Might revisit it months down the line.

ooo. Do you have any experience with it? Like it?

It's a lot of fun for sure.

It's different from Audica if you've ever played that. Like, in Pistol Whip you don't have to be super accurate, you can be vaguely accurate and it'll still count; obviously you'll get more points if you are.

The problem I think is that it doesn't feel like rhythm game? Whereas in Beat Saber you slice the blocks to the beat and it feels great, this game the beat feels more vague. It's hard to describe.

Another thing is there's a lot more movement in this compared to others. You''ll be constantly dodging bullets and obstacles on top of shooting. It's harder but more rewarding, for sure. Best way I can describe this game is it's a John Wick Simulator but in a rhythm game.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
ooo. Do you have any experience with it? Like it?

It's really good, but it's light on content. If you're the sort of person who can enjoy replaying a handful of songs over and over chasing high scores, then I think it's worth it, but it might be too short if you're expecting to just play through every song once and be done with it.

The problem I think is that it doesn't feel like rhythm game? Whereas in Beat Saber you slice the blocks to the beat and it feels great, this game the beat feels more vague. It's hard to describe.

The scoring system will award up to 100 points based on how accurate your shot was, but will double that if you shoot an enemy precisely on the beat. So you can play it as a regular shooter, but once you start going for score, you have to play it as a rhythm game (and you'll start to notice that when the enemies spawn in and how they move is choreographed to make sure you can get clean shots on them on the beat).

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My Knuckles controllers (that I got off of selling a Dota item) came in today. These things are awesome. I screwed around in Pavlov a bit, and once I understood how the gripping worked, it became second nature to me. Throwing grenades felt MUCH more natural because you don't have to hit the grip button to release it, you just release it without thinking about it. Reloading was easier. Half-Life Alyx with these is going to be amazing.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
My Index controllers came today, took about a half hour to get my fitting right but once I did they fit on like a glove. I had some concerns due to reading some feedback on how some items on the top are hard to get too but I don't have any major issues at all. I was pretty shocked to be honest. Expecting the worst but they felt fantastic in my hands. Playing Until You Fall is so much better with the index controllers versus the vive wands. I could block much easier plus be able to swing and connect better too. Having an analog stick helped with my locomotion issues too in Windlands. I can't point my finger as to why but I was able to move around with the analog stick and not have any locomotion issues like I did with the Vive wands. It might be because I'm used to pressing on an analog stick for movement. Plus there seem to be enough custom community bindings now to fix issues with games. For example in Superhot I didn't like the default method of throwing a weapon or item, but i found a custom binding that fixes this issues. Imported it to my game and everything worked great.

The one game I wasn't really a fan of the index controllers was Doom VFR. Maybe things will get better once I get used to the pill trackpad but I was struggling with this game quite a bit. But I didn't dig deep into community bindings as of yet.

For me, the weightlessness of these controllers allowed me to play VR for a long time. I ended up playing a couple hours straight. The Vive Wands would get somewhat heavy in my hands after using them for an hour, but with the Index controllers I had no issues at all playing a couple hours straight. I figured out to make the strap snug but not tight, this way the controller won't leave your hands plus the strap doesn't put undue pressure on your hands as well. Very happy with this purchase, might now look into some Oculus exclusives with revive. Now I can look forward to comparing this controller with some 3d printed boosters when they are here sometime next week.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The recently released Free To Play VR platformer Glyph is having a giveaway for the paid DLC which adds another world and essentially doubles the game (and is the only monitization in the game so far). Winners will be found tomorrow so if it looks interesting, hurry up !

Have a look here:

full disclosure, I've worked with them in a non paid position which is the reason I heard about this. Hope posting about the giveaway is fine regardless.

Last edited:

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bleh, I wanna upgrade from my base Oculus. Its blurry.

I'd love an index but thats a lot of dough, and I don't exactly have a big VR environment so it would be somewhat wasteful.

Should I get an S?

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017

I'd love an index but thats a lot of dough, and I don't exactly have a big VR environment so it would be somewhat wasteful.

Should I get an S?

If you can't afford an Index it might be worth considering an S, but I'd hesitate recommending it. It's sharper than OG rift but still has the very limited FOV (compared to Index) and tracking blind spots due to the camera-based tracking. And no Knuckles controllers. And much worse audio.

If you were coming in with nothing I would say the Rift S is worth considering, but as an upgrade from a base Rift it doesn't seem to be that big of an upgrade.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can't afford an Index it might be worth considering an S, but I'd hesitate recommending it. It's sharper than OG rift but still has the very limited FOV (compared to Index) and tracking blind spots due to the camera-based tracking. And no Knuckles controllers. And much worse audio.

If you were coming in with nothing I would say the Rift S is worth considering, but as an upgrade from a base Rift it doesn't seem to be that big of an upgrade.

Yeah. I'd get an Index but I'm mostly a sitting vr user.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Should I get an S?
I gotta disagree on it being wasteful or only good for roomscale. It is expensive but if you can afford it the tracking precision, clarity, fov etc are really noticeable in sitting down experiences too.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this thread for the quest as well?

I finally got one and have been playing around, I gotta save money so likely I won't be buying any games anytime soon but just playing the demos and experiences is fun enough to keep me entertained for a while. Does the oculus store get better sales than the current game awards one?

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. I'd get an Index but I'm mostly a sitting vr user.

The controllers, comfort, FOV and audio will still make a pretty big difference but you wouldn't really gain anything from the superior tracking system if you're sitting. Other than that sitting vs standing doesn't really change the comparison really.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hey refunded Boneworks, was not digging the level design. Any newer/ hidden gem VR game must haves? The big ones I have are Superhot, Beat Saber, Pavlov, Blade and Sorcery, and H3VR.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
This is rough ordered the index kit on december 2nd and looks like I'm not getting shit till mid January.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
This is rough ordered the index kit on december 2nd and looks like I'm not getting shit till mid January.

You are lucky. The new orders have to wait until February.

"New orders of the $1,000 Valve Index VR kit "will ship in February 2020," according to the Steam store, "due to recent high demand" following the reveal of the full VR game in the iconic franchise set between the events of Half-Life 1 and Half-Life 2."

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
You are lucky. The new orders have to wait until February.

"New orders of the $1,000 Valve Index VR kit "will ship in February 2020," according to the Steam store, "due to recent high demand" following the reveal of the full VR game in the iconic franchise set between the events of Half-Life 1 and Half-Life 2."

I don't know that I feel lucky giving valve $1000 up front with little to no communication besides an email going lol I know we said delivery cannot be guaranteed before Christmas but we're changing that to were not even shipping until January.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I don't know that I feel lucky giving valve $1000 up front with little to no communication besides an email going lol I know we said delivery cannot be guaranteed before Christmas but we're changing that to were not even shipping until January.

You can always cancel and buy another headset ;). It seems that Valve was not expecting such a high demand for such an expensive headset. I guess it takes some time to ramp up production.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I got lucky that I ordered when I did and got it within a week here in europe right before they ran out. But now I've been waiting for weeks for vroptician to ship my lenses.. 😭

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Does anyone here know how to get the Project Lamba demo working on SteamVR headsets (Valve Index?). I know it works with the Rift but I was wondering if anyone tried this demo with any SteamVR set and how you went about getting it to work?

Half-Life was one of my all-time favorite games and even though this highly detailed portion is only the transit system, I figured it would be neat to experience. So long as I can run it off a 1080ti.

Also is VORPX worth while?

What are some of the best supported games in VORPX?

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot get Pavlov to run above 60fps. My HMD is 90hz. I've tried lowering the settings, checked for updates. It doesn't change. It's like its hard locked at 60fps. Any ideas?

r5 3600
rx 5700 xt
15gb ram 3200

That's the gist of my hardware if it helps.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot get Pavlov to run above 60fps. My HMD is 90hz. I've tried lowering the settings, checked for updates. It doesn't change. It's like its hard locked at 60fps. Any ideas?

r5 3600
rx 5700 xt
15gb ram 3200

That's the gist of my hardware if it helps.
Might want to check your resolution settings. Are you using SteamVR?

Does anyone here know how to get the Project Lamba demo working on SteamVR headsets (Valve Index?). I know it works with the Rift but I was wondering if anyone tried this demo with any SteamVR set and how you went about getting it to work?

Also is VORPX worth while?

What are some of the best supported games in VORPX?
I've never tried it myself but, from what I hear, it's kind of a janky experience and only worth doing if you're ok with major tinkering on a per game basis.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I grabbed the Anker Powerline USB-C to USB 3.0 Cable (10ft) cable to use with Oculus Link and it's been working just fine but 10ft is still a bit tight length wise... Are there any good 15ft or more USB C cables that are known to work well for Oculus Link?