• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Lone Echo/Echo Arena & Combat, if you're pc is beefy enough then Asgard's Wrath and maybe stormlands.
Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath come to mind.

Edit - beaten by Shiba

im on a 1080Ti and 6700K so I assume i should be okay?

was eyeing up Asgard's Wrath already so I'll prolly grab that. Lone echo also seems to get universal praise. Honestly, it's clear oculus studios is investing Facebook money in these games bc almost across the board the polish looks a lot better than everything I've played so far on Steam. Makes me hopeful for stuff like HL:A being awesome as long as the titles are given some budget to work with.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

was eyeing up Asgard's Wrath already so I'll prolly grab that. Lone echo also seems to get universal praise. Honestly, it's clear oculus studios is investing Facebook money in these games bc almost across the board the polish looks a lot better than everything I've played so far on Steam. Makes me hopeful for stuff like HL:A being awesome as long as the titles are given some budget to work with.

For what it's worth I'm on almost the same setup - 1080 Ti and 6700(non-k). It's handled Asgard's Wrath like a dream though I'm on Oculus hardware and not using ReVive. You'll want an SSD for that game specifically though.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Anyone else messing around with the Half Live 1 VR mod? (PC mod, not Quest)

Its still got some jank to it, but this is a really cool way to experience HL1 for the first time. I just got to the turrets section (Where you first get the Machine gun, and there are a bunch of rooms with trip wires and turrets). No idea how far I am, but this game really holds up.
Which mod is that? The only one I found seem to have been abandoned? Wait, I may have been thinking of Half Life 2...

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're probably gonna have to adjust a bit for lone echo even if you meet or goes past the requirements, pretty much every game will have a bit of tougher performance playing through revive than playing through one of oculus's headsets. I actually had the same setup as you until recently.

I honestly haven't tried Asgard's Wrath even when recently upgrading to a 9900K just because I've heard that even with people that had a 9900k/2080ti combo the game had some performance issues through revive. Though this could be due to people playing the game at a higher resolution and framerate than the target oculus headsets.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
For what it's worth I'm on almost the same setup - 1080 Ti and 6700(non-k). It's handled Asgard's Wrath like a dream though I'm on Oculus hardware and not using ReVive. You'll want an SSD for that game specifically though.

Literally the only reason I have yet to buy it. My SSDs are already at 80% full. I tend not to go over that percentage ever lol. I keep reading how slow the load times are on a regular HHD. So until I decided to spend some of my budget on a SSD, its sadly gonna have to wait :[

On a side note, I am loving Beat Saber, especially with the mods! Vader Immortal EP1 was fun but short. I did purchase Lone Echo. How long is this game? Sequel is coming soon, so decided to buy it and give it a whirl before the sequel.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
You're probably gonna have to adjust a bit for lone echo even if you meet or goes past the requirements, pretty much every game will have a bit of tougher performance playing through revive than playing through one of oculus's headsets. I actually had the same setup as you until recently.

I honestly haven't tried Asgard's Wrath even when recently upgrading to a 9900K just because I've heard that even with people that had a 9900k/2080ti combo the game had some performance issues through revive. Though this could be due to people playing the game at a higher resolution and framerate than the target oculus headsets.

ahhhh this is good info. Didn't realize running through revive was additionally taxing on the hardware.

Robo recall runs well maxed out but it's obviously not big open worlds or anything, so I doubt it's very taxing.

feels like I picked a bad time to dive in sales-wise.... I want probably $150-200 worth of games on that oculus store rn and it looks like the next sale would be Mayish if they would try to match a theoretical steam spring sale (tho there wasn't one last year) and some of these games go 75%+ off, so it feels dumb to buy a bunch of these at full price, esp when I'm way behind so I'm paying full price for stuff like robo recall that's three years old already.

I think I might jump on Asgard's wrath for full price tho. Seems to have almost universal praise and sounds like the closest thing so far to a traditional, big budget $60 console title. Thought i read somewhere ~40 hours of gameplay?

as a random aside I played accounting the other night and could not stop laughing. Would take anymore recommendations similar to that too.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been upgrading my PC over the last months. New nvme SSD, Ryzen 7 3700x, ASUS Tuf Gaming X570, 16GB ram (32GB ram on the way) but running a cheap but new GTX1660 at the moment, because I intend to skip the current RTX20 series.

Intending to get a RTX30 series and PCIe gen 4 SSD later this year.

I'll be able to run Asgard's Wrath better, I hope.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't have matchmaking because it's too hard to play with randoms...
Yeah, that's what I figured. Lots of communication going on in all the videos I've seen.

Hi! im one of the devs of Banana for Scale, a game where you measure things with bananas!

I have writed a little about the story of the game here
https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791466324278/announcements/detail/3587617261546195330
But if you need more info you can ask me, I will be glad to answer.

Lol interesting. Can't really tell what type of game it is from the trailer though.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The newest SteamVR update broke everything lol. Every time I hit the home button it crashes quickly and teleports me into the floor. NatLOCO and Chaperone tweak are broken.Anyone know if there is a way to rollback?

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did you verify the files yet?
Tried it, no dice. Crash to safe mode every time I hit the home button.

Edit: Reinstall didn't work either. Shame cause I really like the new dash.

Update: Fixed it. Not sure what exactly fixed it, but here is the process I went through in case someone else runs into the same problem -
Uninstalled Natural Locomotion - this fixed critical errors but I was still getting short freezes upon hitting the home button
Uninstalled OpenVR and ReVive - Didn't do anything
Disabled Camera - fixed the freeze ups.

Afterward I was even able to reinstall Natural Locomotion and am not getting crashes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried playing Stormland again and got it to be able to run at a somewhat constant 80fps, but even with a 9900k and 1080ti that's really the result of me lowering or turning off some of the in-game effects like weather and shadows as well as lowering the graphical settings to Med. It's like damn this and Asgard's Wrath really are most challenging VR games to run. Hopefully Alyx isn't a lot of trouble to run as well.

Last edited:

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Tried playing Stormland again and got it to be able to run at a somewhat constant 80fps, but even with a 9900k and 1080ti that's really the result of me lowering or turning off some of the in-game effects like weather and shadows as well as lowering the graphical settings to Med. It's like damn this and Asgard's Wrath really are most challenging VR games to run. Hopefully Alyx is a lot of trouble to run as well.
At least that confirms that there's nothing wrong with my PC, I was already wondering why I had to stick to medium.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least that confirms that there's nothing wrong with my PC, I was already wondering why I had to stick to medium.

I think it comes down to two things at least for me. 1) being that the game is somewhat open world with a lot of foliage is likely what causes heavy performance and 2) being that I was playing it through Revive.

I've been continuously tweaking with the settings just to get it where performance is at least solid and the game isn't totally blurry. I just know that right now fog, shadows, and AO are the main culprit.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
For those of us that can handle it lol:

Compared to the previous VR mods for Quake, mine features:
  • Hand tracking for both hands
  • VR melee system
  • Weapon models with ironsights and hands
  • Extensive customization options and menu
  • Rebalanced gameplay for VR (e.g. smaller hitboxes and bullet spread)
  • Hand interactions (pick up items, press buttons)
  • Pass VR data to QuakeC, so that it can be used in scripts
  • Clang-tidy up and C++-ification of the source code
  • And probably more :)

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Asgard's still runs with a lot of micro-stuttering on my RTX 2070 S and Ryzen 7 x3800 with Oculus and Quest (via Link). What settings are you using in-game if I may ask? The more details are the better. I tried to fiddle around yesterday again, but there is never a satisfying outcome for me. It's a known issue, boards are full of it - even some RTX 2080TI people get stutters and everything else runs fine on my PC, so I don't think it's on my side. So it's probably just the game but maybe you have a hint I didn't reconsider yet.

I tried another refund yesterday because my first one was declined (checked my play-time, told me 3 hours. That is probably the reason but for my refund, I explicitly told them that my playtime was mostly consisting of fiddling around with the settings). It's frustrating tbh because it was one of the main reasons to get into PCVR and the game itself is great.

On the other hand, I found so many fantastic experiences I didn't even know of before getting into PCVR, so I am still super happy with my purchase. Also can't wait for Half-Life Alyx. Yesterday I finished the last song on medium in Dance Collider. Stellar rhythm game, just as good as and different enough to Beat Saber IMO. I also tried out Skybound which is a super-fun little strategy game. It's basically like Minion Masters but with a super-cute light 4x component on a world map. Really fun in VR.

EDIT: So my second attempt to refund Asgard's Wrath was declined again. Next time I won't invest any time in troubleshooting shit and refund ASAP. So tired of unfinished software. Let's hope for some updates in the future. Still a bad picture for their "flagship" - title.

Last edited:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here use wallpaper engine? I want to get it but I think I remember reading VR related issues about it? Cant remember tho

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Any Oculus users use the Dash feature? Specifically the pin window in game function. I've been using it to pin a media player and browser in my cockpit in Elite and the windows keep crashing either as gray pins or with a big orange exclamation point.

Anyone encounter this/have a fix? Was working fine at one point.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I use it and haven't noticed any VR related issues. What kind of issues have people mentioned?
Honestly dont remember. I just had the vaguest recollection that there might have been issues. I think theres also issues if you have two monitors and the frame rates aren't multiples of eachother?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly dont remember. I just had the vaguest recollection that there might have been issues. I think theres also issues if you have two monitors and the frame rates aren't multiples of eachother?
Hm. That I don't know about either. Whenever I have people over, I hook up the TV via HDMI as a second monitor and have wallpaper running a background on that too. Not sure the difference between framerates of each other though (I do know my monitor maxes at 100).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally found some settings that make Asgard's Wrath fun to play. It doesn't run perfectly, but it's very playable and still looks good. I set the resolution to 80%, shadows to low and everything else on high. I should be able to run this at much higher settings IMHO, but it's apparently just a badly programmed and/or optimized game because lots of people have similar performance issues. Truly the "Crisis of VR", lol.

But playing the game makes you forget this rather quickly because it's really damn fine VR experience. I just got frustrated with some of the blocking mechanics yesterday. I seem to be not able to counter two-handed enemies. I really tried, but it always felt random when blocking their attacks. I don't have any problems with blocking one-handed dudes ... But I will get the hang of it eventually.

Then I played Dance Collider on hard difficulty and that was exhausting but super-fun. This and Beat Saber are the perfect rhythm games. I highly recommend it. I feel like this game flies a bit under the radar. It's not expensive and currently on sale at Steam. Everyone who is barely interested in rhythm games should get it ASAP:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally found some settings that make Asgard's Wrath fun to play. It doesn't run perfectly, but it's very playable and still looks good. I set the resolution to 80%, shadows to low and everything else on high. I should be able to run this at much higher settings IMHO, but it's apparently just a badly programmed and/or optimized game because lots of people have similar performance issues. Truly the "Crisis of VR", lol.

But playing the game makes you forget this rather quickly because it's really damn fine VR experience. I just got frustrated with some of the blocking mechanics yesterday. I seem to be not able to counter two-handed enemies. I really tried, but it always felt random when blocking their attacks. I don't have any problems with blocking one-handed dudes ... But I will get the hang of it eventually.

Then I played Dance Collider on hard difficulty and that was exhausting but super-fun. This and Beat Saber are the perfect rhythm games. I highly recommend it. I feel like this game flies a bit under the radar. It's not expensive and currently on sale at Steam. Everyone who is barely interested in rhythm games should get it ASAP:

Almost forgot that was on sale. Picking it up!

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone here with kiwi's tethers? I have an Index.
I wanna buy them, but I have some questions about them.
I rather not install them permanently, how are the sticky pads?
How do you people store the HMD after playing?

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here with kiwi's tethers? I have an Index.
I wanna buy them, but I have some questions about them.
I rather not install them permanently, how are the sticky pads?
How do you people store the HMD after playing?

The sticky pads have worked perfectly for me. They have kept the pulleys well attached to the places I put them, though admittedly I haven't put any great force on them. I haven't attempted to remove them afterwards either, so I'm not sure how easy that would be.

I store my HMD on a stand on top of a filing cabinet nearby. I used to disconnect the pulley nearest to the headset when I did so, but these days I don't bother. It being extended for long periods of time does not appear to have harmed it.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Looks like Index coming back into stock on Monday. Hopefully that includes the HMD-only. I'm not sure if it's really worth it at this point but I've wanted to compare the Index to my VIVE Pro for a long time so if I can snag just the headset I'm going to do it and see what's up.

Worst case I can sell the Index and basically lose no money. Otherwise I'll just sell my VIVE Pro headset. It's in perfect condition and has the custom lenses from the Gear VR which largely improve on the stock lenses.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy balls, got my Rift S, its amazing, but god damn, dead pixels on these things? When they are shoved into your face? How can they allow that?

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oculus support that shit, they were really quick when I sent my headset back that wasn't even under warranty. They'll probably send you a new headset immediately.

Think I will have to, cluster of at least 5 slap dab in the middle of my view. Hopefully they will send a replacement out first, send old one back second ..........

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The HL:Alyx hype has finally hit me, went to go and see if I could get a Rift S and they are sold out everywhere in the UK.

Damn, not sure if Corona or Alyx causing this lmao

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Made the mistake and upgraded Headset and Oculus App to v14. Worked fine for almost an hour with Asgard's Wrath. Then I got disconnected. I am getting constant immediate disconnects now. Tried to fix that shit for over 2 hours with no luck. What a shitshow.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Wish Valve were a bit clearer that the HL:A Steam VR Environments were Index exclusive. I subscribed to the environments but they would not show up in my list. Had to learn about the exclusivity in an UploadVR article. I guess I could try to get an online session with an Index owner but can't be bothered.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I think the exclusivity is a little weird. Being able to look at them is a better advertisement for the game than it is a perk for owning the hardware. I doubt anyone's buying any of the Index hardware to get access to this stuff.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wish Valve were a bit clearer that the HL:A Steam VR Environments were Index exclusive. I subscribed to the environments but they would not show up in my list. Had to learn about the exclusivity in an UploadVR article. I guess I could try to get an online session with an Index owner but can't be bothered.

They did say about this:
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Half-Life: Alyx :: Valve Index Availability and Half-Life: Alyx Preview Locations

On Monday March 9th, the Valve Index VR system will be made available again for purchase after having been out of stock for some time. Recent demand for the Index system has been high, so we do expect that available stock on hand will sell out quickly. We will continue to take orders after those...

They also seems to indicate that it is only a timed exclusive for Index owners, and other SteamVR owners can check it out after the game launch.
If you don't own a Valve Index but would like to check these environments out in VR before March 23rd, you can ask an Index owner to host a SteamVR Home session for you.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
They did say about this:
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Half-Life: Alyx :: Valve Index Availability and Half-Life: Alyx Preview Locations

On Monday March 9th, the Valve Index VR system will be made available again for purchase after having been out of stock for some time. Recent demand for the Index system has been high, so we do expect that available stock on hand will sell out quickly. We will continue to take orders after those...

They also seems to indicate that it is only a timed exclusive for Index owners, and other SteamVR owners can check it out after the game launch.
Ok, no one has answered this question yet and I can't find out until my 2070S arrives next week, do knuckle controller owners get access to the environments? I got the game for free with my index knuckle purchase but I'm still on the OG Vive...