• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eirulan

Oct 28, 2017
Bought Arizona Sunshine the other day in the sale and really liking it.
Played with teleport the whole day and just discovered this could be set to full locomotion.... Woahhh, this made me sick within seconds, but it controls so much better this way so I sat down and play this seated now... It's like rolling around with a wheelchair and most likely not meant to be played like this but I enjoy it a lot this way :-)
Anyone else played it like this, or does anyone have tipps to prevent the sickness while standing? Seated, it's easily manageable

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Played with teleport the whole day and just discovered this could be set to full locomotion.... Woahhh, this made me sick within seconds, but it controls so much better this way so I sat down and play this seated now... It's like rolling around with a wheelchair and most likely not meant to be played like this but I enjoy it a lot this way :-)
Anyone else played it like this, or does anyone have tipps to prevent the sickness while standing? Seated, it's easily manageable

I've played it completely like that but I have no advice, never felt uncomfortable standing and moving in VR at the same time. Usually it's best to walk in straight lines and don't look to the sides while moving, that can reduce motionsickness and walking as slow as possible. When you have to turn then first stop completely and turn with your body (if you have 360 tracking) and then move into the new direction. This helped me a bit in Doom 3 BFG when the performance wasnt good and the framerate fluctuated.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Its possible to train youself to get used to it (but there are a % of players who will always feel sick unfortunately). Normally the advice is to play it until you begin to feel the fist signs of that sick feeling, then take a break from it and resume it the next day. over time, its possible that the maximum amount of time you can play begins to increase until eventually you get used to it. Some people also eat ginger to help with the motion sickness (never tried it myself). In your case, it looks like its your first time playing vr with locomotion? If so, stick to using the chair to get used to it that way, then later on maybe try standing up with it and see if the amount of time you can play lasts longer than a few seconds. Some people get sick from forward movement , others might get sick from rotating in game. You get sick because your body is confused from not feeling the sensation of that movement physically, so your body assumes something is wrong and triggers the sick feeling to warn you that something might be wrong.

I started out on gear vr and I couldn't handle locomotion in minecraft for longer than 15 minutes, when my stomach would start feeling odd. A year later of playing tons of vr games in it and I'm playing vr games with locomotion turned on, and speeding around at the speed you would move around in doom or quake. However, I still find smooth rotation a little uncomfortable so I always enable snap rotation instead. Since I'm playing in room scale, I don't need smooth rotation.

if arizona has the option for snap rotation, try that out.

Eirulan

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks a lot for the tipps, i'll try that...
Haven't tried the Doom 3 BFG "hack" yet but will in the near future.
Played 2 hours of "wheelchair" AS now and really feeling nauseous, maybe I overdid it for today ^^

I played PSVR since launch but am completely new to PCVR, and my PSVR experiences were all seated. I normally don't get sick, for instance i can play games like DriveClub, Eve and so on with no problems. It's all about having some sort of reference point, which completely lacks in AS :-)

Last edited:

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A new vid for Espire 1: VR Operative (i remember seeing a concept vid and dev diary for it a while back from the old pc vr thread). This isn't representative of what the final game will look like as this demo is being used for pitch purposes but it still has a lot of potential.

Oct 27, 2017
So moving into a new house and sold my sofa and the extra space makes Space Pirate Trainer far more enjoyable. It was already fantastic of course but not having to worry about bumping into walls makes a big difference.

I hope that there is some crazy genius out there that surprises the world with some locomotion device that fools the brain.

Oct 25, 2017
When's Knuckles.

Also whoohoo new VR thread. I'm master lurker 9000 but I gotta stamp this thread with a post at some point.
What's the current hotness in VR atm? Been out of the loop for a bit thanks to life stuff but I'm thinking of getting ready for more action.

So moving into a new house and sold my sofa and the extra space makes Space Pirate Trainer far more enjoyable. It was already fantastic of course but not having to worry about bumping into walls makes a big difference.

I hope that there is some crazy genius out there that surprises the world with some locomotion device that fools the brain.
If you haven't already, use the flail/whip thing and shield. You may not get your highest score, but grabbing those suckers and flinging them over your head and smashing them is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fun.
Unless that changed in 1.0 but I doubt it.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Also whoohoo new VR thread. I'm master lurker 9000 but I gotta stamp this thread with a post at some point.
What's the current hotness in VR atm? Been out of the loop for a bit thanks to life stuff but I'm thinking of getting ready for more action.
Depends on how long you were out of the loop for.
  • From Other Suns comes out next month which I think will be the next big game from the Oculus store.
  • Onward had/has a pretty big update (new modes, maps, revamped/improved controls)
  • Theres a pavlov/onward like game coming out for both pc vr and ps vr (not sure if it is cross platform or not though (I can't remember the name)
  • Rec Room has had a lot of new updates recently and has added psvr players in now too (+ they've added a system in to remove kids from matchmaking in the campaigns aswell as muting their mic)
  • Been hearing and reading a lot of good stuff about The Organ Quarter(steam store) if you want a horror game for Halloween
  • A game called Bullets and More VR is being mentioned alot on reddit thanks to its battle royale mode (basically a smaller scale PUBG in vr)
In terms of recent games announcements, Lone Echo 2 was announced as well as a new multiplayer component to it called Echo Combat (Fps with lone echo controls), Unspoken is getting a single player campaign mode for free and Respawn are now working on a big budget vr game with oculus for 2019.

Last edited:

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Personally, I prefer to play everything standing and with teleport in such cases.

I really can't do seated VR at all these days (if a game is fully interactive with tracked controls). It seems unnatural and limiting.

Oct 28, 2017
I personally don't play anything with smooth locomotion unless it's zero-G and I'm meant to be floating like Mission: ISS or Echo Arena otherwise it just looks ridiculous IMO. Tried it in Mage's Tale and went straight back to the standard movement which is more like taking one step and stopping just feels more natural to me.

When I do use it though it always initially throws me when I first move but as soon as my brain adjusts I'm fine.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up Wilson's Heart on sale, I'm a bit apprehensive about playing horror games in VR but for £8 I figure if I don't end up playing much of it I won't feel too bad about it.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for this, but I'd like again to punt Organ Quarter - Halloween is supposed to be the best time of year for our sort of game, but despite really positive user feedback and heavy PR pushes we're not making much noise! YouTube's anti-violence/gore policies are hitting us hard, and Twitch just isn't the same for VR or singleplayer streamers now.

Organ Quarter is:
  • a full fledged adventure - not a wave shooter (that's just combat) or walking simulator/escape the room game (with no combat). We tried to get a balance of both
  • you'll traverse, unlock and explore intricate environments and actually journey through the city, think Silent Hill 1 and 2
  • enemies are disturbing and numerous but basically never jump scares and often avoidable - to boot you're basically always armed. It's about tension and ammo conservation/strategy
  • as you explore the buildings, streets and other locations in the Organ Quarter there are carefully balanced puzzles to keep you thinking and on your toes
  • it's actually balanced as an adventure game first and foremost, not a horror, so even if you're dubious on horror it should provide a compelling journey

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
Finished edge of nowhere , pretty decent story was good but the gameplay at the end felt very flat. Sort of felt like they ran out of gameplay ideas so just laid out a load of enemies

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Shout out to Organ Quarter. Really enjoyed my time with it. Wish it would be longer though. I finished it in around 4 hours.

Also finished Edge of Nowhere last week and was a bit disappointed. Too much climbing.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Bought an Oculus Rift with touch controllers on the day the price was cut to 449€. Went on a shopping rampage and bought a lot of games. Love the build quality, especially the controllers. However, I'm dissapointed by the screen. The PenTile matrix is clearly visible and the FOV is low. Still, an awesome experience. My favorite game is Eleven: Table Tennis. Impressive physics and so much fun online! Highly recommended.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like my VR legs are already in full effect. Played Arizona Sunshine and Organ Quarter for like 4 hours yesterday and 0 sickness. Woo.

As for Organ Quarter, got past the first boss and just got to the theater. Not much to say so far other than I'm loving it. Great tension, great mechanics and areas, really nails that survival horror aspect with rooms clearly being designed around "Would you rather risk losing some health or use some ammo now?" glad I went with the limited ammo mode.

That first boss man, Jesus. First time it showed up behind me, so when I turned around I nearly shit my pants. Great atmosphere.

So far I think the part of the game I like the most is having to actually look around and under furniture for ammo and secrets. Had this great moment where I realized I could literally under a bed to get to a room. That and checking behind cabinets and stuff really makes it feel like this game wouldn't be the same if it weren't in VR.

One last note: Fuck those ceiling motherfuckers

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how long you were out of the loop for.
  • From Other Suns comes out next month which I think will be the next big game from the Oculus store.
  • Onward had/has a pretty big update (new modes, maps, revamped/improved controls)
  • Theres a pavlov/onward like game coming out for both pc vr and ps vr (not sure if it is cross platform or not though (I can't remember the name)
  • Rec Room has had a lot of new updates recently and has added psvr players in now too (+ they've added a system in to remove kids from matchmaking in the campaigns aswell as muting their mic)
  • Been hearing and reading a lot of good stuff about The Organ Quarter(steam store) if you want a horror game for Halloween
  • A game called Bullets and More VR is being mentioned alot on reddit thanks to its battle royale mode (basically a smaller scale PUBG in vr)
In terms of recent games announcements, Lone Echo 2 was announced as well as a new multiplayer component to it called Echo Combat (Fps with lone echo controls), Unspoken is getting a single player campaign mode for free and Respawn are now working on a big budget vr game with oculus for 2019.
For Lone Echo and Other Suns, are those particularly dependent on frequently grabbing and releasing stuff? Anything like that I want to wait for Knuckles, since that's going to be, IMO, the next big step. If they aren't awkward to play on the Vive controller though I may check it out.
Onward got new controls? Okay I'll need to check that out. Are there any new comfort options? I don't much like sliding movement. It'd be free though so that's a bonus!
I should really give Rec Room a good try. I've popped in and out for a good five minutes or so, but never really dived in, so to speak.
I'll get Organ Quarter, sounds like a good idea anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Bought an Oculus Rift with touch controllers on the day the price was cut to 449€. Went on a shopping rampage and bought a lot of games. Love the build quality, especially the controllers. However, I'm dissapointed by the screen. The PenTile matrix is clearly visible and the FOV is low. Still, an awesome experience. My favorite game is Eleven: Table Tennis. Impressive physics and so much fun online! Highly recommended.

This sounds bad but I have yet to play any multiplayer games in VR which makes me feel like I'm missing out on the social aspect. I really should fire up Eleven, Rec Room or Echo Arena and check it out. Unfortunately missed Hover Junkers when it had players which would have been fun.

What are the best multiplayer experiences out there?

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For Lone Echo and Other Suns, are those particularly dependent on frequently grabbing and releasing stuff? Anything like that I want to wait for Knuckles, since that's going to be, IMO, the next big step. If they aren't awkward to play on the Vive controller though I may check it out.
Onward got new controls? Okay I'll need to check that out. Are there any new comfort options? I don't much like sliding movement. It'd be free though so that's a bonus!
I should really give Rec Room a good try. I've popped in and out for a good five minutes or so, but never really dived in, so to speak.
I'll get Organ Quarter, sounds like a good idea anyway.

Both Lone Echo and From Other Suns do not have native support for vive controllers since its off the oculus store, so you will need to use Revive for them.
The entire gameplay of Lone Echo is based on grabbing on to the environment (in space, so you're pushing and pulling off everything to move around in zero gravity) and has alot of finger based controls (for example tapping your wrist with your index finger activates a wrist device menu). From Other Suns is more traditional (but has plenty of finger based controls when using holographic screens on the ships) not sure how well the locomotion will work (no experience using revive) since the movement is using analog sticks on the touch controllers (Knuckles will have trackpad).

Oct 25, 2017
Blech. I'll wait for Knuckles then.
islbv.jpg

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
Glad you made it over lakuza! I was worried when the other place blew up as it was one of the best places for VR discussion

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys. I haven't used my Vive since July, but I'm currently downloading Lone Echo. Anything else I should try while I'm at it?

• I really care about production values and "polish".
• Short and small experiences are fine; I'm not too concerned about price
• I have a 4x3 play area and I love when games utilize it.

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys. I haven't used my Vive since July, but I'm currently downloading Lone Echo. Anything else I should try while I'm at it?

Your going to love Lone Echo, it's the most polished VR game I've played. Great production values

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Stress Level Zero (Duck Season), started work on their next game. Going to be some kind of action game with a focus on gun handling. Can't wait to see and play it.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Glad you made it over lakuza! I was worried when the other place blew up as it was one of the best places for VR discussion

For games that are better with bigger play areas:

Definately try Echo Arena too (multiplayer component to lone echo), that makes great use of big play spaces.

If you haven't them played yet, Superhot and robo recall are great arcadey games (superhot benefiting more from large playspaces) and both are super polished.

Gorn(steam store only) is another game that makes good use of large playspaces, but its early access and lacking the production values and polish (something they'll hopefully improve near the proper launch for the game). As a result you might want to wait for the final release of the game.

Accounting(steam store only) is a short experience but also benefits from large playspaces (small play areas would require Advanced openVR to even complete the game since theres no way to move using controllers).

Stress Level Zero (Duck Season), started work on their next game. Going to be some kind of action game with a focus on gun handling. Can't wait to see and play it.
I skipped on duck season since I wasn't interested in the duck shooting aspect of the game but I'm looking forward to their next project.

EctoPrime

Oct 27, 2017
robo recall are great arcadey games (

Robo was made just for oculus so it takes some work for vive if I am reading this right. https://www.vrheads.com/how-play-robo-recall-your-htc-vive

I second robo. That game alone is so good (to me) that I feel validated in getting the rift just with that one.

Waltz of the Wizard is another good one. I thought it was dumb and trying it out for my kid to make sure it all worked. Just got an update to it too for some movement in the game. I was surprised how well it played and I pissed away 30 min on it without even thinking about it. Lots of things to play around with.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Definately try Echo Arena too (multiplayer component to lone echo), that makes great use of big play spaces.

If you haven't them played yet, Superhot and robo recall are great arcadey games (superhot benefiting more from large playspaces) and both are super polished.

Gorn(steam store only) is another game that makes good use of large playspaces, but its early access and lacking the production values and polish (something they'll hopefully improve near the proper launch for the game). As a result you might want to wait for the final release of the game.

Accounting(steam store only) is a short experience but also benefits from large playspaces (small play areas would require Advanced openVR to even complete the game since theres no way to move using controllers).

Thanks! Played Superhot when it came out; absolutely loved it. I like Robo Recall a lot too, although I wish there was less of an emphasis on constant teleporting. I've looked at Gorn, but I can't deal with all the gore.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
This sounds bad but I have yet to play any multiplayer games in VR which makes me feel like I'm missing out on the social aspect. I really should fire up Eleven, Rec Room or Echo Arena and check it out. Unfortunately missed Hover Junkers when it had players which would have been fun.

I would recommend Rec Room, Eleven Table Tennis, Arizona Sunshine Coop and Dead and Buried. It's a shame that the overall playerbase of VR is still comparatively small, there are a couple really good games no-one is playing. VR multiplayer has so much potential...

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

Pavlov, Climbey, Onward.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017

Raw Data has awesome co-op and PVP experiences. Pretty fun stuff.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't Knock twice is the daily deal for Halloween: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1245549338900612/

CCP close down their VR development teams/studios:

The Icelandic company had invested heavily in VR games, with Eve Online spin-off Valkyrie, Gunjack and PSVR exclusive Sparc betting big on the tech. But CCP has now decided to halt VR production to concentrate on Eve Online.
More at: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-30-eve-online-dev-ccp-ditches-virtual-reality-development
(and loads of other sites are reporting this too)

EDIT: Just noticed theres 2 threads on the subject already so I was way late to posting this :3

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like my VR legs are already in full effect. Played Arizona Sunshine and Organ Quarter for like 4 hours yesterday and 0 sickness. Woo.

As for Organ Quarter, got past the first boss and just got to the theater. Not much to say so far other than I'm loving it. Great tension, great mechanics and areas, really nails that survival horror aspect with rooms clearly being designed around "Would you rather risk losing some health or use some ammo now?" glad I went with the limited ammo mode.

That first boss man, Jesus. First time it showed up behind me, so when I turned around I nearly shit my pants. Great atmosphere.

So far I think the part of the game I like the most is having to actually look around and under furniture for ammo and secrets. Had this great moment where I realized I could literally under a bed to get to a room. That and checking behind cabinets and stuff really makes it feel like this game wouldn't be the same if it weren't in VR.

One last note: Fuck those ceiling motherfuckers

Thanks so much for the kind words Avis, it's an honour to be featured so early in your VR adventure!

Also, uh... I came up with the idea for the 'ceiling motherfuckers'

Don't hurt me >.>

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't Knock twice is the daily deal for Halloween: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1245549338900612/

CCP close down their VR development teams/studios:

More at: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-30-eve-online-dev-ccp-ditches-virtual-reality-development
(and loads of other sites are reporting this too)

EDIT: Just noticed theres 2 threads on the subject already so I was way late to posting this :3

I feel like Sparc for PSVR is a flop considering they are pulling out of consoles too

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
It's so weird that CCP closed down the VR studios after they made such a big push on Valkyrie. They just rebranded it as Warzone and added support for HOTAS setups. I guess when you think about them adding support for the pancake version it makes a little more sense, though.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
It's so weird that CCP closed down the VR studios after they made such a big push on Valkyrie. They just rebranded it as Warzone and added support for HOTAS setups. I guess when you think about them adding support for the pancake version it makes a little more sense, though.

To me Eve Valkyrie felt like a Techdemo and not like a full game. 60$ for that, while you could get Elite at sale for like 10$ before and it also has VR. And I heard they added a lot of P2W stuff down the line. It never had enough content (in the beginning) that 60$ are justified for that.
And imo it wasnt really good.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

The gaming market was becoming tighter by the time DK1 first hit. I think a lot of people were hoping it might be some blue ocean oasis. Turns out all the negative trends that have been afflicting gaming, also affect the VR market (just with the same purchase-averse trends applied to a group that's a fraction of the old audience). There's really no benefit to VR exclusive development. At least if lighting strikes in a bottle and your game is 2D, you'll make some actual money with a full audience. Sad but true state of the current marketplace.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
So yesterday my wife tried VR for the first time. She was amazed but is not interested in the stuff I play (except for Audioshield). She is also as "casual" as it gets, struggling with basic controls. She loved the different environments in Steam VR like the beaches and different landmarks. She wants some sightseeing, but in environments where you can move. And it should control very simple. Some easy games with exploration could be an idea, though it should be nice to look at and not scary at all. Is there anything you guys could recommend?

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To me Eve Valkyrie felt like a Techdemo and not like a full game. 60$ for that, while you could get Elite at sale for like 10$ before and it also has VR. And I heard they added a lot of P2W stuff down the line. It never had enough content (in the beginning) that 60$ are justified for that.
And imo it wasnt really good.

Completely agree with this. With so many better options for space cockpit games, there was no reason to buy EVE at such a high price when the content it provides is so little. During the early days of vr games, charging that price I could understand since there was nothing to compete against it but they didn't adapt the price to the market as more games came out and stayed at that high price point which in my opinion, did them no favours at all.

So yesterday my wife tried VR for the first time. She was amazed but is not interested in the stuff I play (except for Audioshield). She is also as "casual" as it gets, struggling with basic controls. She loved the different environments in Steam VR like the beaches and different landmarks. She wants some sightseeing, but in environments where you can move. And it should control very simple. Some easy games with exploration could be an idea, though it should be nice to look at and not scary at all. Is there anything you guys could recommend?

if she likes Audioshield, consider getting sound boxing too (its really cheap right now on steam). its not as polished as audioshield and doesnt have a beatmap for every song since it relies on user generated ones on youtube vids, but due to it being user generated the songs will be better synced to the beatmaps (of course you can get bad ones too but thats what play count and favourites stats are for on each beatmap challenge). It also means you can have multiple beatmap challenges per song too. It also requires moving, ducking, tip toeing/jumping to play as the orbs do not fly towards the same center point, so you so you might have to side step to reach one and then duck to get one closer to the ground.

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Google Earth is definitely a showstopper in terms of just being able to see stuff and get an insane sense of scale. Go see the pyramids, go see Tokyo, go see NYC, etc.

^Some people have 150+ hours in Solus, basically sightseeing... but yeah the interaction is probably too awkward for regawdless's wife

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Thanks for the recommendations, will definitely check out realities and soundboxing! Have Soulus in my library, haven't tried it yet.

Edit: she tried Google Earth VR but was a little overwhelmed by the controls.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations, will definitely check out realities! Have Solid in my library, haven't tried it yet.
If she has any interest in space (It's also a place I guess ;) Titans of Space 2 is probably the best fit, you can't fly to places like you can with Discovering Space 2 but it doesn't have the potential to give you motionsickness due to no flying close to planetary surfaces.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations, will definitely check out realities and soundboxing! Have Soulus in my library, haven't tried it yet.

Edit: she tried Google Earth VR but was a little overwhelmed by the controls.
out of curiosity, has she tried superhot vr? I think thats friendly when it comes to controls, since the only buttons used are for holding an item or shooting a gun(which are positioned on the controller to make sense, atleast on the oculus touch controllers) and the slow mo feel is a nice wow factor for many.

Other games worth trying out are stuff like Job Simulator, which are all about messing with anything you want in the environment.

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VR The Diner Duo could be a really good thing to try.

Really intuitive once you get used to picking things up - and then it's just cooking and chopping.

A plus is that you can be on the pancake screen being the waiter :)

out of curiosity, has she tried superhot vr? I think thats friendly when it comes to controls, since the only buttons used are for holding an item or shooting a gun(which are positioned on the controller to make sense, atleast on the oculus touch controllers) and the slow mo feel is a nice wow factor for many.

Other games worth trying out are stuff like Job Simulator, which are all about messing with anything you want in the environment.
A left field but cool suggestion

Big problem is the grips in Superhot which will probably be a sticking point.

No movement and only grip or shoot buttons is a positive though

Peanut

Oct 27, 2017
Rhode Island
After about a year of being on the fence I'm deciding to jump in on VR with the $399 Oculus Bundle. I tried the PSVR when it came out and loved it but didn't want to jump in on a console that'll be obsolete in a few years so I waited for the price drop on PC. I'm out of the loop on purpose for fear of an impulse buy, so what are the must have accessories, games, etc? Looking to cash in with the holiday season upon us. Already have seen some great recommendations in here but as someone who hasn't experienced anything except Job Simulator and R.I.G.S, I'm looking forward to what everyone suggests!