• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
If4OYR3.png

For hardware / setup related questions or discussion, please use the SteamVR Hardware thread or the Oculus thread.

This is a thread for PCVR users to discuss VR games available on all the compatible platforms (Steam/Oculus/Windows). In the previous incarnation of the thread I tried making a system for people to add to an auto-generated list of favorite VR games linked to in the OP. Objectively that experiment was a failure; it was not used by more than a handful of people for about a week. As such, I'll not waste my time and just accept that everybody will ignore this OP relatively quickly in favor of jumping to the last page. =P

PCVR Game |OT| Listing:

Last edited:

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the light-hearted zombie horde mode coming to H3VR on Friday. Should be good fun.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Post some recent experiences of mine:

Marshmallow Melee is better than I expected. All around very solid feeling. Guys are not as tiny as Lucky in Lucky's Tale when he's down a pipe. They're sort of medium sized and a ways in front. Seems to be a decent variety of items and enemies and such. Biggest complaint is pathfinding. My dudes really like to hang out on spikes. Not sure how to prevent that.

Edge of Nowhere is so bleh. I don't think VR adds a lot to it. It's like a middle-tier mobile adventure game in its simplicity.

Wilson's Heart is fantastic. Simple gameplay mechanics you blast through. I've played tougher 'walking simulators'. But the presentation and controls feel fantastic. Great art. Can really see the texture benefit from making the whole game black and white. These are the highest res textures ever. Still odd how there's some art and animation that feels a bit too Splosion Man for my tastes.

Headmaster (previously PSVR exclusive) is fun. The physics are the best I've experienced in VR. Feels so fantastic. Simple gameplay and a bit hard to control, but I like it.

Red Stare (free game). Finally stopped using the Oculus boundary editor, so I could fire it up properly. Man what an amazing concept.

Space Pirate Trainer 1.0 is still so, so amazing. Fantastic new features. Still amazing gameplay.

Random thought: Why don't games use the microphone input for taking a pull off a cigarette or breathing in cold temps though? That would be amazingly immersive.

OP
OP
Zalusithix

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Random thought: Why don't games use the microphone input for taking a pull off a cigarette or breathing in cold temps though? That would be amazingly immersive.
The cigarette thing was done in a PSVR launch game IIRC. Breathing in cold temps would be harder to pull off unless you're doing enough activity to cause more pronounced breathing.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else checked out the recently released music vid/experienceApex(from the maker of Surge)? It was one of the most striking VR experiences I've ever had - really intense and weird, and shows why VR is so cool.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone played Organ Quarter yet? Thinking about giving it a shot, been hearing good things. Need my October horror fix

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Anywhere decent to order a new vive controller in the UK?

One of mines has been busted for about 2 months and it seems like I am going to have to spend over £100.

I feel like just waiting till the knuckles come out but no date announced for them yet.

Coma Ecliptic

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Hey VR friends, what is the best VR cover for Rift that ya'll recommend? I remember seeing one that someone mentioned it helped reduce god rays or am I making that up?

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cautiously optimistic about that pimax 8k. Not enough to actually order one though

OP
OP
Zalusithix

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Cautiously optimistic about that pimax 8k. Not enough to actually order one though
I've included the Pimax headsets in the SteamVR hardware OT now since they're mostly lighthouse centric, so that'd be the more appropriate place for talk about that. This thread's about the games.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've included the Pimax headsets in the SteamVR hardware OT now since they're mostly lighthouse centric, so that'd be the more appropriate place for talk about that. This thread's about the games.
Going to be honest, I'm still not so sure I like having three separate VR threads because of hardware. There's so much overlap in each, and most the time the others get neglected/segmented due to user consolidation into the largest one. I feel like there's got to be a better way, where we can just have links in the main thread to show hardware and accessories for each etc.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You all check out Invisible Hours if you haven't already. Awesome experience and a great "in the comfort of your own home" example of immersive theater.

OP
OP
Zalusithix

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be honest, I'm still not so sure I like having three separate VR threads because of hardware. There's so much overlap in each, and most the time the others get neglected/segmented due to user consolidation into the largest one. I feel like there's got to be a better way, where we can just have links in the main thread to show hardware and accessories for each etc.
There's actually not any overlap. The SteamVR hardware ecosystem is entirely different from the Oculus hardware ecosystem, which is entirely different from the Windows MR hardware ecosystem. Meanwhile the games are detached from all of them. As it stands, having a few threads for all aspects of VR is far less than what the non-VR gaming community has to deal with.

We already had consolidated info once with the Vive thread. Sure the thread was extremely active, but it was a smorgasbord of topics all competing for space on the page. Hardware talk here, game talk there. Even in this thread we bounce between games left and right. Bouncing between dozens to hundreds of games and a tens of hardware devices at the same time would be... chaotic to say the least. These are long lived threads. As time goes on there's going to be more and more games, and more hardware. If we don't prepare for that expansion, then the threads will suffer for it.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's actually not any overlap. The SteamVR hardware ecosystem is entirely different from the Oculus hardware ecosystem, which is entirely different from the Windows MR hardware ecosystem. Meanwhile the games are detached from all of them. As it stands, having a few threads for all aspects of VR is far less than what the non-VR gaming community has to deal with.

We already had consolidated info once with the Vive thread. Sure the thread was extremely active, but it was a smorgasbord of topics all competing for space on the page. Hardware talk here, game talk there. Even in this thread we bounce between games left and right. Bouncing between dozens to hundreds of games and a tens of hardware devices at the same time would be... chaotic to say the least. These are long lived threads. As time goes on there's going to be more and more games, and more hardware. If we don't prepare for that expansion, then the threads will suffer for it.
I feel like they tend to get lost, I know I fall out of them and forgot about certain ones for long periods of time.

OP
OP
Zalusithix

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they tend to get lost, I know I fall out of them and forgot about certain ones for long periods of time.
That's what the "watch" function is for on threads. Or bookmarks for that matter. The VR community just needs to get used to it and it'll be fine. We're used to being cooped up in mega-threads because the topics otherwise sink to the forum abyss never to be seen again, but that's not the end goal. We should be aspiring to have the community expand to the point where many individual VR threads are viable on the front page by themselves. Not regressing to the point where all VR discussion happens in one mega-thread.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I can't wait for "From Other Suns" to come out. My friend and I had a blast in the open beta and VR FTL is just such a great idea

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'll check it out - is this something similar to Everspace? I think that has VR support and the same premise.
Oh wow, and it's co-op?

The game has 3 player co-op. It is basically FTL in first person. You even got an FTL like map where you can send NPC crewmates around or see where you are.
The game is not Everspace like as in you are not "a ship" but you are the crew of one that you walk around in.
You also go on boarding missions or rescue missions into other ships/stations.
You get into ship to ship combat as well.
You trade and upgrade your ship, you find cargo and new crewmembers with new skills and such.
When your ship is damaged you have to walk around or send NPCs to seal hull breaches, repair rooms etc...

Here is some gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10TcAq4G2ds
I don't have sound right now so I don't know how bad the commentary is, sorry.

The open beta was one of my top three VR experiences. I am counting the days till this comes out.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game has 3 player co-op. It is basically FTL in first person. You even got an FTL like map where you can send NPC crewmates around or see where you are.
The game is not Everspace like as in you are not "a ship" but you are the crew of one that you walk around in.
You also go on boarding missions or rescue missions into other ships/stations.
You get into ship to ship combat as well.
You trade and upgrade your ship, you find cargo and new crewmembers with new skills and such.
When your ship is damaged you have to walk around or send NPCs to seal hull breaches, repair rooms etc...

Here is some gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10TcAq4G2ds
I don't have sound right now so I don't know how bad the commentary is, sorry.

The open beta was one of my top three VR experiences. I am counting the days till this comes out.

Yea I've been watching videos of it for the last 30 minutes or so. This is right up my alley. I just wish I had a few close friends into VR. None of my close friends see VR as something to get involved with yet. I need to find a VR playgroup though REF.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yea I've been watching videos of it for the last 30 minutes or so. This is right up my alley. I just wish I had a few close friends into VR. None of my close friends see VR as something to get involved with yet. I need to find a VR playgroup though REF.

It has matchmaking as well, so you can always find a game and meet people.
But I am sure we'll find people to play with here. My friend and I are definitely picking it up so we already could use a third :D

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It has matchmaking as well, so you can always find a game and meet people.
But I am sure we'll find people to play with here. My friend and I are definitely picking it up so we already could use a third :D
Sounds good. I got Star Trek Bridge Crew expecting to play it with buddies who are on PSVR and it just never happened. I should refund it to pay for this.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, i dont mind being added as a friend. I don't have any on mine for the same reason that I'm the only one right now with a vr headset in my circle of friends.
I have from other suns on pre-order and the beta was really fun playing with others :D My oculus name is the same as the forum.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
I spent about an hour last night adding artwork and trophies to my SteamVR home. That's some good shit, I really enjoy taking screenshots so it was cool to be able to find some of my favourites and put them on the walls. Also there are some great gifs in the community art section.

Sounds good. I got Star Trek Bridge Crew expecting to play it with buddies who are on PSVR and it just never happened. I should refund it to pay for this.

That's a shame, you should see if you can get a group together before you do as Bridge Crew is a lot of fun MP. I've been really lucky in that a lot of my close friends picked up headsets. Though I'm the only one with a Vive, we've been able to play a lot of stuff cross-platform.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Good to be back! I'll kick this off with a game announced during the "transition".

EVASION

OnlyFavorableAfricanbushviper-max-14mb.gif

It's a 4-player co-op FPS game. Devs say it's very arcade (they're actually looking in to having it in VR arcades) with a bullet hell focus. Lots of destructible cover for both you and the enemies.

ANNOUNCE TRAILER
Another vid of the devs talking about it more in depth
That looks pretty nice. I like that there seem to be more co-op VR games being announced lately.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone played Organ Quarter yet? Thinking about giving it a shot, been hearing good things. Need my October horror fix

Organ Quarter probably isn't ideal for a group session as it's quite long (although I could be totally wrong about that - might be a great laugh)

but if anyone's having a solo or duo Halloween night in, please check it out!

Need to finish Organ Quarter today. Im at the last boss.

Did you finish it in the end, Chuck?

That looks pretty nice. I like that there seem to be more co-op VR games being announced lately.
You love your co-op ;)

Veritigo

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely picking up Organ Quarter as my Halloween game. I've been jonzing for a good horror game.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad to be back here!
Havent been playing much VR games recently due to vacation

I will be spending some money on some vr games over the halloween sales and play some games over the weekend

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely picking up Organ Quarter as my Halloween game. I've been jonzing for a good horror game.
Hope you enjoy it!

I need to finish it today,. It is great. I think it will take me around 4 hours then.
Thanks, Chuck. Please spread the word.

We just found out that the name and visceral visuals are likely turning YouTubers away from covering it - YouTubers apparently getting slammed by YT for showing anything gory.

Pretty brutal discovery.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
A repeat from the discord VR section, Apex on Steam was short but interesting. In the past I was very hesitant to pay for standard 2d games and experiences that are extremely short and don't really have much value as a game (gameplay wise) I guess I somehow grown into that mentality to only buy 6 hours+ games all my life but I make many exceptions with VR now, could also be because I don't really play many standard games anymore so it's easier to justify. Short and intense experiences, I really like those. Similar to the La Peri experience (but that is pushing it when it's not on sale with 5 bucks+).

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this thread. Double checking here since I didn't find it in search - is there a High End VR general thread as well (like the old country)?

OP
OP
Zalusithix

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this thread. Double checking here since I didn't find it in search - is there a High End VR general thread as well (like the old country)?
Nope. For hardware we have the SteamVR thread, a separate Pimax Kickstarter thread, the Oculus thread, and the PSVR thread. Somebody else will have to make a Windows MR thread if they want to discuss that side of things, but we're pretty much covered for any other topic. The old High End VR thread was kind of a catchall thread that was on its way out into obsolescence anyhow.