• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

As long as they don't try to stop custom songs I suppose I don't have a major issue with this even if I'm disappointed to see it.

In the grand scheme of things Facebook's reach and resources greatly outreach beat sabers so they could potentially set up lots of music contracts far faster to get a steady stream of DLC on all platforms.

On the flip side this means I won't be buying all the DLC just to support the company, I will be far more selective with what I get now.

Either way I already got beat saber on the PC as well in case I eventually can't put custom songs on the quest. There were some things I wanted to mess around once I got my new computer and the link working in general.

Chronos, Lucky's Tale, Edge of Nowhere (Insomniac made game, $10 just today on Oculus store), the new GTA V mod, Elite: Dangerous, No Man's Sky, I Expect You to Die, Euro and American Truck Simulator games, Dirt Rally, SkyrimVR and Fallout 4 VR (with snap turning), Moss, Alien Isolation (Mother mod), Vivecraft (you can use m+kb in addition to motion controls for this).

That should get you started :)

Thumper isn't a bad VR addition either as while it uses a traditional controller the visuals still look neat in VR.

Oct 28, 2017
Chronos, Lucky's Tale, Edge of Nowhere (Insomniac made game, $10 just today on Oculus store), the new GTA V mod, Elite: Dangerous, No Man's Sky, I Expect You to Die, Euro and American Truck Simulator games, Dirt Rally, SkyrimVR and Fallout 4 VR (with snap turning), Moss, Alien Isolation (Mother mod), Vivecraft (you can use m+kb in addition to motion controls for this).

That should get you started :)
Cool. Does Asgards Wrath require much space? It looks cool.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Does Asgards Wrath require much space? It looks cool.
I believe Asgard's wrath is designed with room scale in mind. At least it looks that way in videos.

and in a different form of space you likely want 160gb free on an SSD to play it.

it alone is the main reason I added an extra 1tb m.2 ssd drive to my black friday list for my new computer lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Hm, the store page for Asgard's Wrath says you can play it sitting. I guess I'll give it a shot.
Edit:

Yeah this works fine.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Between HL:A's announcement and long wanting something better than a PSVR with hacks for my sim racing rig I decided to order a Rift S.
Any good VR Only games I should check out?

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Between HL:A's announcement and long wanting something better than a PSVR with hacks for my sim racing rig I decided to order a Rift S.
Any good VR Only games I should check out?

Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades (H3VR), To the Top, Pavlov, Superhot VR (not the same as the flat one) and Pistol Whip are all really good.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so I gave my friend's Rift S a try and it didn't give me crippling headaches so I bought one and it showed up.
I've got the minimum space required for it so I can't play any roomscale stuff. What good things can I play that I can sit down or don't require me to move around much?

Stormland and Asgard's Wrath are both phenominal as well.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so I gave my friend's Rift S a try and it didn't give me crippling headaches so I bought one and it showed up.
I've got the minimum space required for it so I can't play any roomscale stuff. What good things can I play that I can sit down or don't require me to move around much?

Oh immediately get Google Earth VR on Steam. It is free and it will blow your mind.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Check out Aircar on Steam. You pilot an aircar around a future Blade Runner-ish city. It's a neat free little experience. I wish it had been made into a full game.
store.steampowered.com

Aircar on Steam

A simple immersive flying game built for VR. Pilot an aircar through a futuristic cityscape.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
So I've had the VIVE Pro for a while and thinking of switching to the Pro Eye or Index. What blows my mind is I simply can't find any hands on, actual comparisons. It's all just specs bullshit. Wtf? How is this possible? Nobody in the world has taken an Index and Pro and Pro Eye and done a comparison, ever???

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
So I've had the VIVE Pro for a while and thinking of switching to the Pro Eye or Index. What blows my mind is I simply can't find any hands on, actual comparisons. It's all just specs bullshit. Wtf? How is this possible? Nobody in the world has taken an Index and Pro and Pro Eye and done a comparison, ever???
I think the only difference between the Vive Pro and Pro Eye is the eye tracking. Between those and the Index, I think it's mostly just that the screen door effect is lessened on the Index even though they're pretty much the same resolution. Honestly, if you have a Vive Pro, I'd stick with that and just get the Index controllers. The difference between the headsets isn't big enough for the hassle. That and you'd still have access to the wireless adapter which is a bigger game changer imo.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I think the only difference between the Vive Pro and Pro Eye is the eye tracking. Between those and the Index, I think it's mostly just that the screen door effect is lessened on the Index even though they're pretty much the same resolution. Honestly, if you have a Vive Pro, I'd stick with that and just get the Index controllers. The difference between the headsets isn't big enough for the hassle. That and you'd still have access to the wireless adapter which is a bigger game changer imo.

Yeah I'm more interested in index vs pro and/or eye but I would like to know how much the experience changes with eye tracking when it's pro vs eye and there's nothing.

Could change controllers but honestly half the shit I play I'm using my dual shock 4 because it's racing/flying so it's not as big of a draw for me.

Maybe I'll just wait for the next flagship set from whomever. I want higher res. than pro/index and eye tracking in one set.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Found out the Micro Center about 2.5 hours away had 2 of the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap left. My plan was to watch the stock and if it didn't go down, wait until the next time we visit the in-laws. It went down to 1 in stock the morning, so I already my father in law for a favor and he picked it up.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm more interested in index vs pro and/or eye but I would like to know how much the experience changes with eye tracking when it's pro vs eye and there's nothing.

Could change controllers but honestly half the shit I play I'm using my dual shock 4 because it's racing/flying so it's not as big of a draw for me.

Maybe I'll just wait for the next flagship set from whomever. I want higher res. than pro/index and eye tracking in one set.
Right now, I don't think eye tracking is going to change your experience at all since no one is implementing it yet outside of the social stuff like VRChat (if that). I wouldn't expect that to change until we hit a gen where it's either the standard, or games start taking advantage of foveated rendering.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
How much content is in Pistol Whip? Worth the 25 bucks?

Game is tons of fun, not a ton of levels/songs though. Different difficulty settings and modifiers keep it fresh and it is kinda hard once you learn how scoring works, but did wish it had more levels available. I think its been worth it at the price really for how much I've played

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently UploadVR had a Holiday showcase with a bunch of new news.

Summary of PCVR specific stuff:
  • Pistol Whip is getting a new free level inspired by Oldboy on December 19th. New modes, modifiers, difficulties, and achievements coming. (@ 15:54)
  • Down the Rabbit Hole reveal. First and third person adventure game set in the world of Alice in Wonderland. (@ 18:00)
  • Daydream only game Eclipse Edge of Light is coming to PCVR. (19:57)
  • After the Fall development update with gameplay footage. (20:41)
  • new Spaceteam VR gameplay. (@ 25:05)
  • New LOW-FI gameplay footage. (@ 25:38)
  • Crunch Element trailer (@ 29:20)
  • Phantom Covert Ops debut PC gameplay footage (@ 33:55)
  • Sentenced reveal. Inspired by Papers Please (@ 35:44)
  • VCoder Hero reveal trailer (@ 39:33)
  • Hot dogs, Horseshoes, & Hand Grenades gun hat update (@ 40:23)
  • The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets Holiday gifts update (@ 42:54)
  • Pixel Ripped 1995 development update and gameplay footage (@ 43:36)
  • New Budget Cuts 2 gameplay trailer (@ 46:29)
  • Theta Legion VR gameplay (@ 48:28)
  • Look at Vive Cosmos external tracking mod for Lighthouse tracking (@ 49:37)
  • Behind the scenes look at Solaris, the new arena shooter from the Firewall Zero devs (@ 51:45)

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Been playing Trover Saves The Universe, Moss in VR and also Pokemon Sword.... and this got me thinking.
Is there a Monster Training/Battle Game in VR yet?
I imaging standing in an Arena to battle , seeing your monster in front of you, giving commands to it. Throwing health potions to it or Items and stuff.
Groom, pet and Train it outside of Battles. Catching new monsters with a net or something, make traps for them, or through battle.
Could be really cool I think.

In other news: Bought BOX VR yesterday and loving it. It's definitely more taxing to play than Beat Saber for me.
Also bought Windlands 2, just played it for a bit. I like the traversal but the Bow bugged out on me yesterday.
Might buy Red Matter if it goes below 15eur, seems interesting.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have recommendations for games that are currently on sale?
Btw, gonna ask this again. Any fix for being extremely short on SkyrimVR?

Oct 28, 2017
I punched my ceiling fan while playing Beat Saber. Ow.
Can anyone tell me how much room I'd really need for Pistol Whip? It pops up this whenever I click on it on the oculus store.
dSM9eaV.png

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have recommendations for games that are currently on sale?
Btw, gonna ask this again. Any fix for being extremely short on SkyrimVR?

I believe there's a slider in game for fixing your height. Also if you want to change it even more than the slider in-game allows go to your SkyrimPrefs.ini and change fCharacterHeightOffset= to something higher.

You should be able to change your height within OpenVR Advanced settings as well, though I haven't used that myself.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I believe there's a slider in game for fixing your height. Also if you want to change it even more than the slider in-game allows go to your SkyrimPrefs.ini and change fCharacterHeightOffset= to something higher.

You should be able to change your height within OpenVR Advanced settings as well, though I haven't used that myself.
Mmm, do you know where exactly it is? I tried looking in the VR settings and didn't find anything. I will look more carefully next time.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Mmm, do you know where exactly it is? I tried looking in the VR settings and didn't find anything. I will look more carefully next time.
Should be under VR settings iirc. You sure you scrolled down when in the settings menu? I'll see if I can boot the game up and take a screenshot later if you haven't found it by then.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone tell me how much room I'd really need for Pistol Whip? It pops up this whenever I click on it on the oculus store.
dSM9eaV.png

You don't need to move forwards or backwards at all in Pistol Whip, but you do need a pretty decent side step for dodging. I'd say about 2 meters diameter.

Jan 15, 2018
I'm gonna be getting a headset soon, if I'm not fussed about price, is the Index my best choice? I've been doing research, but few things are more valuable than actual impressions from others.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Okay.

Holy crap, I had a smile on my face through the whole introductory Oculus room/minigame experience with little robot. I believe I'll have much fun in VR :D I'm so freaking excited. I was worried but Rift S feels amazing. I have ZERO dizziness problems that I sometimes got on PSVR or Rift CV1. That's a relief :)

For 350 euro, I feel it's a steal. I'm glad I didn't go for Index. I'll get some "VR experience" and I'll upgrade in 2 years maybe to something more high-end.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna be getting a headset soon, if I'm not fussed about price, is the Index my best choice? I've been doing research, but few things are more valuable than actual impressions from others.
I will tell you tomorrow lol
I currently have a lenovo explorer. WMR is one of the easiest headsets to setup, it uses cameras, so you only need the headset and the controllers. Resolution wise it's pretty good, but confort is meh at best. Controllers are not very good, the tracking is lacking, and if you need to use the grip button a lot, it ends up hurting.
But, it was 200€. Can't complain for that price.
I will receive the Index tomorrow, and will update my impressions then.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017

It's definitely the top of the line option. Most comfortable, widest field of view with the focus working edge to edge, best audio and best tracking. The only downside is you need 2 power outlets and a good spot to set the lighthouses.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely the top of the line option. Most comfortable, widest field of view with the focus working edge to edge, best audio and best tracking. The only downside is you need 2 power outlets and a good spot to set the lighthouses.
Three*
You need two for the lighthouses and one for the headset.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Hi.

How is Zaccaria pinball in VR?

Asking for my Quest.

When I tried it on my Vive, I thought it was a perfectly functional implementation. I really disliked the tables, so I refunded it. But if you like the tables, I'd have no problems recommending it. I would have killed for Farsight and Zen Studios to have incorporated identical VR DLC into their games.

Jumping back into VR since a bit and need some advice on the settings both in Nvida's Control Panel and SteamVR.
Specs:
i7 8086 OC'd to 4.8GHz
1080ti
32 GB DDR4

Index Headset (Also got a Vive Pro)

Nvidia's Control Panel:
Any settings to change to something else other than default?
(besides changing Power Management to Maximum Performance?)

SteamVR:
Applications> I have Custom Resolution set to default 100%
Video>I got refresh rate to 120hz
Motion Smoothing is off

I have FPSVR installed and uninstalled OpenVRAdvanced Settings back earlier in the year since it kept breaking and being weird, I know they just updated it again like this past week, but is there really a reason to have it installed when I already have FPSVR?
I know every system is going to preform a bit differently, but I just want to get some settings down and it feels like there is no concret info on some major settings that should or should not be enabled.

No one really answered you, but it's essentially a juggling act. I imagine you're going to struggle @120hz in a lot of games on a 1080ti. So for some, you'll probably want to lower it to 90hz.

Custom resolution set to a default 100% is how I like it. Then I go to advanced settings and override on a per game basis. Ideally, you want to render each game as high as your GPU allows (without any reprojection kicking in). It requires experimentation if you're trying to get the absolute best IQ out of your system.

Last edited:

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
How much content is in Pistol Whip? Worth the 25 bucks?

And they just announced yesterday that a new level/scene is being added to the game in about a week along with the games first free content update. Also they are gonna keep adding more levels and game modifiers over time.

dSM9eaV.png

You will be dodging to the left and right mainly and ducking. Best to have some movement space to the right and left and some minor arm movements, though it's not as wild movement as beat saber.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Why is Valve hiding from search this apparently great tech demo for the index controllers they themselves published? Had to come across it in a random reddit comment and then did a search here to find your post.

Stuff like this, The Lab and Aperture Hand Labs is what I'm most excited for when my kit arrives (my first ever VR).
it's extremely barebones, so I can see why they're hiding it, Aperture hand laps is a much better demo for the index controllers.

Have been playing Moss a bit past few days, what an excellent little game. The way Quill sometimes ask for your attention to point the way, and the highfive when you do one of the (albeit easy) puzzles. Little details that really raise the enjoyment of the game.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Still a bit awkward that it is unlisted even if Aperture Labs is a wildly better demo. The more the merrier, and the devs that worked on it have feelings!

I wish there was a simple way to tell if a game has index finger tracking support on its Steam store page.

Oct 28, 2017
You don't need to move forwards or backwards at all in Pistol Whip, but you do need a pretty decent side step for dodging. I'd say about 2 meters diameter.
And they just announced yesterday that a new level/scene is being added to the game in about a week along with the games first free content update. Also they are gonna keep adding more levels and game modifiers over time.

You will be dodging to the left and right mainly and ducking. Best to have some movement space to the right and left and some minor arm movements, though it's not as wild movement as beat saber.

Ah I see.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I just installed my Index. Coming from PSVR.

I'm shocked. Unfortunately not in a good way... I always heard of god rays but I never thought it would annoy me that much. I'm devasted right now. The headset is great quality, the tracking is great, the resolution is good, the sound of the lighthouses is drilling into my ears and always there due to the speakers not covering the ears.

I was so exited for this and currently thinking of returning the set. Does one get used to the god rays? At first I didn't even realize it was god rays, I honestly thought something was wrong with the lenses.