• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I've had the OG lighthouses since 2016, can't say I've ever really heard them... I might be getting old and losing hearing I suppose :)
The lighthouses I can live with, worst case I'll use headphones. But the god rays/white smear is a real problem for me. I'll play a little longer and see if I can get used to them, but as of now it's a deal breaker for me.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
The lighthouses I can live with, worst case I'll use headphones. But the god rays/white smear is a real problem for me. I'll play a little longer and see if I can get used to them, but as of now it's a deal breaker for me.
I've got the OG vive so not totally comparable, but the only times I notice "god-rays" from the lenses is when there's supper bright object, and a black background (usually on intro texts at game startup), and also if the HMD isn't positioned perfectly for the sweetspot.
So I'd say try adjusting the HMD a bit see if you'll notice it less if you move it around a bit.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
I just installed my Index. Coming from PSVR.

I'm shocked. Unfortunately not in a good way... I always heard of god rays but I never thought it would annoy me that much. I'm devasted right now. The headset is great quality, the tracking is great, the resolution is good, the sound of the lighthouses is drilling into my ears and always there due to the speakers not covering the ears.

I was so exited for this and currently thinking of returning the set. Does one get used to the god rays? At first I didn't even realize it was god rays, I honestly thought something was wrong with the lenses.
I HATE god rays. I too came from PSVR (zero god rays) to the original Rift (medium god rays) and it really bothered me...at first.

Yes, you do get used to it. It sucks but eventually your brain just tunes it out. I know it's a bit worse on Vive and Index compared to Rift but I would stick with it. It's more noticeable when you switch back and forth between PSVR but if you play Index or Rift for a while, you'll just sorta forget it's there.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can't say I notice god rays anymore. I definitely saw them at first on the Vive and noticed they weren't as prominent on PSVR, but today with an Index I can't remember the last time they stood out to me in a distracting way.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Your brain is a wonderful organ, its adaptability is incredible. You will stop noticing godrays with time - I mean they will be there but your brain will "tune them out" and you will not be bothered by them.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
There looks to be some good sales on Steam vr right now. I picked up a couple games. Box VR, Racket nx, and Until You Fall. Looking at Budget Cuts and Windlands 2. Someone should make a thread for good vr deals to pick up on Steam.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
There looks to be some good sales on Steam vr right now. I picked up a couple games. Box VR, Racket nx, and Until You Fall. Looking at Budget Cuts and Windlands 2. Someone should make a thread for good vr deals to pick up on Steam.
I've grabbed Star Trek bridge crew dlc, vanishing realms dlc, budget cuts, creed, twilight path (cause FORM was outstanding), and Moss.

Moss is fantastic about 2 hours in so far. Only one I've had the time to play as yet.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

If you have nothing, I think the two best value packs are the Croteam VR bundle for 15.95:

I was also going to say the +5 Intel Bundle from GMG, but Arizona Sunshine, Killing Floor, and Star Trek have all been removed as freebies. The only VR games left to select are Sprint Vector and Rock Band VR. Still not a bad deal if you want those two for cheap, but not the deal is was earlier in the week.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Really struggling with getting mods to work for Skyrim VR and then Oculus Link suddenly stopped working for whatever reason.

Why did Betheseda never put in Steam Workshop for Skyrim VR?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Really struggling with getting mods to work for Skyrim VR and then Oculus Link suddenly stopped working for whatever reason.

Why did Betheseda never put in Steam Workshop for Skyrim VR?

Do you have any experience modding Bethesda games? They're some of the easier games to mod but there's definitely a learning curve and getting vanilla mods to work with VR is an extra wrinkle.

I strongly recommend Mod Organizer 2 for your mod manager.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any experience modding Bethesda games? They're some of the easier games to mod but there's definitely a learning curve and getting vanilla mods to work with VR is an extra wrinkle.

I strongly recommend Mod Organizer 2 for your mod manager.

I have in the past modded them but found it a bit easier in recent years due to mod manager. Still. I managed to get what I wanted to work but couldn't test out everything due to having to use the basic starting point of the game. (Alternate start wasn't working)

Only thing I'm wonder is... I thought the game would be a fair bit sharper. At times it feels like PSVR version of blurriness. Granted, yes, I am using Quest + Link, but even then other games look sharper.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have in the past modded them but found it a bit easier in recent years due to mod manager. Still. I managed to get what I wanted to work but couldn't test out everything due to having to use the basic starting point of the game. (Alternate start wasn't working)

Only thing I'm wonder is... I thought the game would be a fair bit sharper. At times it feels like PSVR version of blurriness. Granted, yes, I am using Quest + Link, but even then other games look sharper.
Disable TAA

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EKgvPzxWwAAzU4v

EKgvsFRX0AAzWyl

EKgv65UXsAAEbxS

The kids have NO IDEA they're getting a VR headset for christmas. I can't wait to see their faces...

I love that last pic so much because you can actually see him dodging the laser on the screen behind him.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I followed along to this video and the next one and had no issues, game looks amazing.

I will have to take a look at that though Vortex seems to be working now that I downloaded SKSE.

I believe my texture mods are working though generally there is still a lot of poor textures in plain sight. I'm not home now so I can't make a list of the mods I've used but can anyone give me suggestions of mods that make the textures at least on par with the Special Edition?

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding Skyrim I still haven't bought it just because of how bad the melee sounds... compared to something like H3VR or Blade and Sorcery it just looks amateur and almost like a mobile or Wii style game. Is there a mod that manages to make the combat not terrible in VR?

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding Skyrim I still haven't bought it just because of how bad the melee sounds... compared to something like H3VR or Blade and Sorcery it just looks amateur and almost like a mobile or Wii style game. Is there a mod that manages to make the combat not terrible in VR?
didn't mind the melee in the game, but I played almost exclusively with bow and arrow, so don't have much experience with that exactly.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Well shit, my 1070 is struggling with the Index.
The hmd is very confortable, but I have a small nose and there is some leakage that is easily solvable.
Pressing the system button is a little difficult.
Sound is amazing.
Tracking is great, although the base stations are a little too loud.
Any info on the hardiness of the breakaway connector?
And any way to use a smaller than normal area? I have 1.8m instead of 2m D:

WMR never gave me issues with the area. And I don't know if the headset has similar resolution it has worse performance.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Any comments on Espire 1?

I'm kinda hesistant, I got Killing Floor Incursion from them and I can't get it to work on my Rift S. Game constantly freaks out and I lose control of hands to where it becomes unplayable. Killing Floor is the only VR game that I've had any issue with tech wise. Figured it being so old now that it would run perfectly on a RIFT S but It's been a mess.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So experience:

I might have some leakage due to my nose, dont notice it that much now, as I have started
Had some light headache in the first short session, got better after dinner + playing.
Need to resize my play area, some light annoyances, but for now it should work, I think I will move my computer in the near future to a bigger area.

Now about games:
Tried Gorn and had no issue with joystick movement, only weird feeling is clipping through stuff.
I really need to learn how to reload guns in H3. The movement feel much more stiff than Gorn,.
Superhot VR: so good.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Any comments on Espire 1?

I'm kinda hesistant, I got Killing Floor Incursion from them and I can't get it to work on my Rift S. Game constantly freaks out and I lose control of hands to where it becomes unplayable. Killing Floor is the only VR game that I've had any issue with tech wise. Figured it being so old now that it would run perfectly on a RIFT S but It's been a mess.

The Node youtube channel had some gameplay of it... looks pretty crappy IMO. AI looks completely braindead and they ran into a bunch of glitches.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
So experience:

I might have some leakage due to my nose, dont notice it that much now, as I have started
Had some light headache in the first short session, got better after dinner + playing.
Need to resize my play area, some light annoyances, but for now it should work, I think I will move my computer in the near future to a bigger area.

Now about games:
Tried Gorn and had no issue with joystick movement, only weird feeling is clipping through stuff.
I really need to learn how to reload guns in H3. The movement feel much more stiff than Gorn,.
Superhot VR: so good.
Regarding headache, have you made sure you've set your IPD correctly? you can measure IPD by using a ruler and a mirror. guide here: http://doc-ok.org/?p=898

But basically, put ruler on your nose, under your eyes, close one eye, position the 0 on the ruler under the open eye, hold the ruler there, switch eyes (close the open one, open the close one), read the number under your now open eye. that's your IPD.

Second thing, don't overdo it in the begining, specially with artificial movement, might not feel the effects of it until after, so ease yourself into it.

Third thing, if you've got OpenVR advanced settings installed, check the statistics on how many frames you're dropping, and check what frame interpolation features you've got on, if you're dropping frames and getting lots of reprojection, could also cause headaches.

Fourth thing, if you're not dropping many frames, try increasing headset refresh rate, see if that also helps with headaches.

And I seem to be the only one who didn't click at all with Superhot VR... found it super boring, specially having to restart from scratch every time you fail.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
VR in general is blowing my mind, but so far a game called, "Moss" is the best I've experienced. Such a charming game. Any other games out there that capture that charm?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Anybody else have the Reverb? Bought it over the Rift S as 90% of the time I will be using for cockpit sims. I have an IPD of 67 so kind worried it wouldn't fit.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with impressions on Creed: Rise to Glory?

Have you played The Lab?
It's not on PC yet and it's an adventure/puzzle game instead of a brawler but I'd look out for Ghost Giant. Hellblade is a totally different atmosphere but is another 3rd person combat game with heavy story. I'd also keep my eye on Down the Rabbit Hole:

EDIT: Almost forgot Trover Saves the Universe. If you're in to Rick and Morty humor.

Last edited:

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
ah man, been looking for a thread like this. got a rift s a week ago and been trying some games out. perfect timing as steam/green man gaming sales have been generous.

My favorites so far are thumper and superhot vr.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Pavlov zombies has so much potential holy hell. You can actually play on any map (invisible switch map button), its randomly spawns the zombies and autogenerates the crates and guns based on player spawn spots. Some of the zombie behaviour/AI is totally janky on certain maps with different terrain height but gawd dayum

Bashing back zombies with your gun gives me major Left 4 Dead vibes and feels good.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Just noticed this is the wrong thread. Posting in the hardware thread.

Last edited:

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
Dropping by to say Pistol Whip feels absolutely essential. It feels like Beat Saber and Superhot VR had a baby named John Wick at a rave.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I know wave shooters are looked down on since we had so many of them during the VR early days, but I'm going to recommend this anyway since it's on sale super cheap right now. Personally I like this more than Space Pirate Trainer and think it's way underrated and not talked about enough (probably due to it being a wave shooter).

It's called Blasters of the Universe

What sets it apart for me is that it combines first person shooting with bullet hell. The enemies shoot bullet hell style patterns and you have to dodge your head around them. It's also not strictly an endless wave shooter. It has stages that can be beaten and 4 unique boss battles. It also has a lot of gun customization with parts you unlock to keep runs fresh and adjust your play style. On top of that it's pretty polished. At less than $4 I think it's totally worth a purchase.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
I know wave shooters are looked down on since we had so many of them during the VR early days, but I'm going to recommend this anyway since it's on sale super cheap right now. Personally I like this more than Space Pirate Trainer and think it's way underrated and not talked about enough (probably due to it being a wave shooter).

What sets it apart for me is that it combines first person shooting with bullet hell. The enemies shoot bullet hell style patterns and you have to dodge your head around them. It's also not strictly an endless wave shooter. It has stages that can be beaten and 4 unique boss battles. It also has a lot of gun customization with parts you unlock to keep runs fresh and adjust your play style. On top of that it's pretty polished. At less than $4 I think it's totally worth a purchase.

I also think this is so good

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017

Bought it, thanks. I don't usually buy wave shooters but that price is hard to argue with if it's a good one.

Makeshift Chef

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So, with the recent sale of the Odyssey+ I decided to jump into VR and give it a go. Having never experienced anything in VR before I had no expectations going in. After receiving it and sorting out an issue with my USB 3.0 ports (had to install a new USB card that was compatible with it) I have to say that I am having a blast with it. I've tried the lab and no man's sky so far. I've got a couple of other VR compatible games in my steam library as well. I had the biggest shit eating grin on my face the whole time I was playing. My wife tried the lab this morning and really liked it as well. Now if I can just convince her to get me an Oculus Quest for Christmas...

Oct 27, 2017
I got Asgard, pretty new to getting my VR legs, and man, the control stick movement makes me ill. IDK how movement can ever work beyond one room or teleportation for me in vr. It doesn't feel right moving with a left stick at all.

1 week into VR, Beat Saber and Superhot are my favorites.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I got Asgard, pretty new to getting my VR legs, and man, the control stick movement makes me ill. IDK how movement can ever work beyond one room or teleportation for me in vr. It doesn't feel right moving with a left stick at all.

It takes quite a long time to work up to full movement, but once you're good with it it really opens up the possibilities of VR. I'd say just take it slow and stick to teleportation or fixed position for the first month or so.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

You can build up your VR legs eventually, even 2D FPS games gave me motion sickness but I can move around in VR now for a hours and be fine. Smooth turning still makes me sick though, I stick with snap turning.