• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
How do I set it up? I'm like three feet tall when I tried it. :X

Oh yeah you're gonna be shorter than usual lol, guess I'm used to that trade off for VR games that don't have height adjustment settings. It can be a pain when reaching for certain items but I found it didn't ruin my enjoyment in AS. Maybe there is a way to adjust it in game or get a higher standing height using the boundary setup for whatever hmd you're using so you may want to experiment with that. I know with the SteamVR room setup you can manually enter your height so maybe factor in the height differential when sitting and add that onto the original figure. I know not an ideal solution but that's all I can think of to try.

In other news yay Lone Echo on sale, now I can finally see what I've been missing.

Got a new gpu coming in a couple days too, VR Christmas is here early :P

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I got Asgard, pretty new to getting my VR legs, and man, the control stick movement makes me ill. IDK how movement can ever work beyond one room or teleportation for me in vr. It doesn't feel right moving with a left stick at all.

1 week into VR, Beat Saber and Superhot are my favorites.
Maybe try ginger? I've heard it helps
Try looking at these reddit results?

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend hates videogames, but i hooked her up to beat saber, bullet train, and google earth. she had a blast for hours. was fun to watch.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You know. Maybe I'm alone but I just tried Elite Dangerous VR and I was amazed by the visuals but the lack of motion controls with the Oculus Touch just creates a huge disconnect. Thinking of refunding it.

After playing NMS with it's full motion controls when your in the ship, it feels like a step back even if technically this control scheme is more accurate.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
You know. Maybe I'm alone but I just tried Elite Dangerous VR and I was amazed by the visuals but the lack of motion controls with the Oculus Touch just creates a huge disconnect. Thinking of refunding it.

After playing NMS with it's full motion controls when your in the ship, it feels like a step back even if technically this control scheme is more accurate.
There actually is a mod that basically gives you motion controls.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I just got my Rift S and was downloading some games. For some reason, No Mans Sky does not launch. I hit the "Play" icon, it looks like it is starting and then goes back to "hit play to launch game". All my other VR games work fine. Any idea?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to ask yet another question, I am new to VR. In Project Cars, the max resolution is 2560x1440p at 60fps when in VR. Game looks and runs great and I have most settings set to max. But I know the Rift S can do much higher frame rate, so by setting the max resolution/framerate in the game, does the headset just run it at it's max frame rate? Thanks!

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely going to give this a shot.
Report back with your results! Also make sure to try it across multiple sessions and not just once.

Holy shit, what? How'd I not know about this
Sorry to ask yet another question, I am new to VR. In Project Cars, the max resolution is 2560x1440p at 60fps when in VR. Game looks and runs great and I have most settings set to max. But I know the Rift S can do much higher frame rate, so by setting the max resolution/framerate in the game, does the headset just run it at it's max frame rate? Thanks!
I believe that's just what its outputting to your monitor and should have no bearing on whats in your headset. Most games have resolution scalers in them and are typically set to 1.0 instead of a specific resolution

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

I take it you aren't using a HOTAS setup with Elite then because the sim feel of using one especially with VR is just so satisfying, it's on another level the feeling of precision with flying you get, and that first time you pull off a landing with one is so good. I'd easily trade the floaty motion controls for flying in NMS for HOTAS support. The wrist holo menu and building controls are decent enough though I'll give it that much.

Best of both worlds would be hand tracking for cockpit button interactivity + using a HOTAS.

If you're at all interested you can get this one for around $50: https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster...f=sr_1_2?keywords=hotas&qid=1575186737&sr=8-2

I used to have this one and it worked great though sold it in a move. Think I might repurchase it especially with Flight Sim 2020 on the horizon. It's a shame NMS doesn't support them.

I'll definitely have to try this, thanks for sharing!

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
So I got Fallout 4 vr for 6 bucks. Is it even worth playing? Lol

And does it support Index controllers?

Oct 28, 2017
Also what's with games that say they support seated play, but have no calibration options and actually just mean you're like three feet tall but you can still play the game?

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
Both Skyrim and Fallout 4 might be pretty lazy ports, but a lazy port is better than no port, and the mod-support is amazing. I loved both games in VR and would never go back to the pancake versions.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Skyrim VR was fantastic, spent as much time with it as I did with the original (about 100 hours).
Fallout 4 VR didn't really grab me, and can't seem to find any good bindings with the Index controllers with it anyway.

Nov 30, 2017
On the subject of seated experiences, does anyone have a favourite non-sim cockpit game to recommend?

I already have Elite Dangerous, Dirt Rally 1 & 2, Overload, No Man's Sky, Battlezone and BallisticNG, so I'm looking forward to trying those out in VR.

I'm considering grabbing EVE: Valkyrie - Warzone, but the lack of single player content gives me pause. I liked Valkyrie on PSVR, especially the way the cockpit was designed for maximum visibility and wow-factor in VR with lots of windows, even below your feet. That's something I'd really like to experience again since I got rid of my PSVR not long after launch.

Oh and hello thread btw :) Treated myself to a Rift S after the Alyx announcement, but aside from a quick test I'm torturing myself by keeping it in the box until I'm off work for a few weeks over xmas.

I'm not new to VR but this is the first PC headset I've bought, though I've spent time on DK1/DK2 and Vive over the years. First experience was War Thunder on a DK1 at an expo years back, followed by EVE: Valkyrie on a DK2 at another expo, so I guess that influenced my love of seated cockpit experiences with a controller over room scale (although I do love the latter as well obviously).

Just wondering if there are any gems I haven't come across yet. I really wish Wipeout was on PC.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
On the subject of seated experiences, does anyone have a favourite non-sim cockpit game to recommend?

I already have Elite Dangerous, Dirt Rally 1 & 2, Overload, No Man's Sky, Battlezone and BallisticNG, so I'm looking forward to trying those out in VR.

I'm considering grabbing EVE: Valkyrie - Warzone, but the lack of single player content gives me pause. I liked Valkyrie on PSVR, especially the way the cockpit was designed for maximum visibility and wow-factor in VR with lots of windows, even below your feet. That's something I'd really like to experience again since I got rid of my PSVR not long after launch.

Oh and hello thread btw :) Treated myself to a Rift S after the Alyx announcement, but aside from a quick test I'm torturing myself by keeping it in the box until I'm off work for a few weeks over xmas.

I'm not new to VR but this is the first PC headset I've bought, though I've spent time on DK1/DK2 and Vive over the years. First experience was War Thunder on a DK1 at an expo years back, followed by EVE: Valkyrie on a DK2 at another expo, so I guess that influenced my love of seated cockpit experiences with a controller over room scale (although I do love the latter as well obviously).

Just wondering if there are any gems I haven't come across yet. I really wish Wipeout was on PC.

House of the Dying Sun has a healthy mix of cockpit and 3rd person. On sale right now too.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017

Lunar Flight - it's the same principle as oldschool 2D Lunar Lander, but with more complex controls and physics. Once you get used to them, it's such a calming, meditative experience.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I think I finished Moss? Good game, but man, does the sequel bait in the end sore it a bit.

Nov 30, 2017
I KILL PXLS cakefoo

Bought and bought. Cheers folks!

Turns out House of the Dying Sun has been on my Steam wishlist for years. Had no idea it had a VR mode. Hadn't heard of Lunar Flight, but I spent many an hour on Lunar Lander when I was a kid, this looks like fun. Great stuff, ta.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I think I finished Moss? Good game, but man, does the sequel bait in the end sore it a bit.
How long did it take you? I've been playing about 2 hours I think, and I feel like I'm halfway through.

Just finished I expect you to die, and man what a fun game. Great concept and hoping to see more of this for Schell games in the future.

Went back and rewatched the intro after the final mission too, intro alone is better than some of the games out there :)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
How long did it take you? I've been playing about 2 hours I think, and I feel like I'm halfway through.

Just finished I expect you to die, and man what a fun game. Great concept and hoping to see more of this for Schell games in the future.

Went back and rewatched the intro after the final mission too, intro alone is better than some of the games out there :)
Steam says I played a bit more than 3 hours. It is quite good, just that the ending is... well you will soon know.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone with v2 base stations here?
When they're on standby (both motors and leds off), I see a green led flashing behind the blue one, does anyone know what it means?

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Any SteamVR users that have problems with height, I recommend SteamVR Advanced Setting. I was looking for a way to completely turn off the boundaries and stumbled upon this gem. It let's you adjust lots of stuff (height, orientation,...). I haven't figured everything out yet, but it seems to be able to save different room settings, too. Which will be a great help since one of the biggest hassles for me was playing certain games seated (like Rez Infinite, which has no way of adjusting for seated play on PC).

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning on getting a Quest for Christmas (I already have a Rift (CV1) and PSVR). I purchased Beat Saber for my Rift earlier this year. My plan was to double-dip on the game when I got my Quest. But now, I am a bit unsure about purchasing it again seeing as Oculus VR purchased Beat Games last week. I'd hate to purchase it, only for it to become cross-buy. What would you do? I mean, I guess I could (in hopes they make it cross-buy eventually) go the Oculus Link method for the time being.

Oct 28, 2017
Any SteamVR users that have problems with height, I recommend SteamVR Advanced Setting. I was looking for a way to completely turn off the boundaries and stumbled upon this gem. It let's you adjust lots of stuff (height, orientation,...). I haven't figured everything out yet, but it seems to be able to save different room settings, too. Which will be a great help since one of the biggest hassles for me was playing certain games seated (like Rez Infinite, which has no way of adjusting for seated play on PC).
Ooh seems very useful.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone tried the Steam controller for any VR games? Seems like it could be useful for Project Cars 2 due to gyro

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone tried the Steam controller for any VR games? Seems like it could be useful for Project Cars 2 due to gyro

I used it in P Cars 2 with gyro. It was better than using an xbox one controller for sure. I fairly quickly transitioned to a Logitech G29 though. It worked well as Gyro steering, but wasn't even close to the G29 in the end.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
How is Robo Recall? I am eyeing that one hard right now.

The quality of its gameplay mechanics are still unmatched in a lot of ways, even though it's a 2+ year old VR game. It's visuals are also top tier. Just remember, it is more or less a wave shooter, just a really good one. Weapons can be upgraded, and you get more points for doing interesting things in combat like enemy juggling. It's not something I've played a ton of (10-15 hours maybe?) but it does feel like a game I can always go back to. It's also a great game to demo for others.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I only had time to play it for an hour or so, but Asgard's Wrath is pretty amazing. I am still getting use to the game, having some issues playing it seated, especially when trying to add items you find to your inventory bag, which is hard to do when seated. I will mess with it some more to see if I can make some adjustments, but damn does this game look great.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I only had time to play it for an hour or so, but Asgard's Wrath is pretty amazing. I am still getting use to the game, having some issues playing it seated, especially when trying to add items you find to your inventory bag, which is hard to do when seated. I will mess with it some more to see if I can make some adjustments, but damn does this game look great.
If everything goes according to plan I will get to try it weds.
I was waiting for the official link, but I decided I should have use for a 10ft usb cord somewhere else >.>
but this is assuming my building of my new computer goes well tomorrow lol.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
what's the verdict on no man's sky vr?

Very limited physical interaction, you can tell it's a port as almost everything is still point and click. Still really cool to see something of that scope and scale in VR though, and for the most part it works fine. Definitely better than something like Fallout as far as ports go.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I'm planning on getting a Quest for Christmas (I already have a Rift (CV1) and PSVR). I purchased Beat Saber for my Rift earlier this year. My plan was to double-dip on the game when I got my Quest. But now, I am a bit unsure about purchasing it again seeing as Oculus VR purchased Beat Games last week. I'd hate to purchase it, only for it to become cross-buy. What would you do? I mean, I guess I could (in hopes they make it cross-buy eventually) go the Oculus Link method for the time being.

When I've double dipped on something that later became crossbuy, Oculus has given me credit back for it.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Very limited physical interaction, you can tell it's a port as almost everything is still point and click. Still really cool to see something of that scope and scale in VR though, and for the most part it works fine. Definitely better than something like Fallout as far as ports go.
huh, that's disappointing. think I might hold off on buying then.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright y'all, I've seen the light. Pavlov is fun.

Used Advanced VR settings to force wall bounds for a vignetting like comfort mode, ran with that for the first two days of the weekend, and now I don't need it.

Zombies is fun but Hospital sucks and Minecraft is okay -- played a BR level and that was amazing though.

I'll never be good enough for S&D

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Rift S today. Really impressed with it so far.
Their tracking and safety system is some of most impressive software engineering I've ever seen.
Diving into H3 now.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm about ready to give up getting three stars on all the challeges in the Vader Immortal dojo, some of them are just infuriating. They've designed them to give you the bare minimum time of finishing them and the spawns of the enemies seem somewhat randomised too so luck plays a big part. They should have just added a cheat to unlock all the rewards, all I want to do is play around with Kylo Ren's lightsaber for a bit and have some fun.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Booted up the bow and arrow game in The Lab for the first time tonight which was actually a huge amount of fun, happily played about 3 decent length runs in it for an hour.

Also put an hour into Lone Echo which is lovely. My one issue being that it is the only game I have played so far on the Link & Quest where I can see some compression (when I look for it) due to the darkness within the game in general.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Got my new gpu in yesterday and fired up Asgard and it started stuttering a bit during the intro and then really went to shit in the tavern, I'd seen perf issues reported for it before so I suppose it wasn't too unexpected. Some say you need an ssd to properly play it which I don't have, some other posts I saw on reddit said it had something to do with how asw's timing with frames is clashing with data being pulled from a HDD which is what causes all the stuttering. Anywho I was using it initially with Link and then tried Virtual Desktop today and almost all the stuttering is gone with that. Not sure what that's about, maybe something having to do with how VD's foveated encoding works vs Link's AADT.

Regardless, I'm enjoying the game quite a bit now, and really surprised just how good it looks and what a fantastic job Sanzaru did with the art style. It looks like a painting in parts and the colors are simply gorgeous on the Quest's oled display, particularly in the tavern. The way mundane objects like bottles and food are lit reminds me of certain still life or Baroque pieces. The character designs are fantastic too, some of those tavern patrons look crazy good, particularly the ones at the axe throwing mini game. Loving the sense of exploration although I'm still early in the tutorial and just got the axe. Only thing that's a bit of a bummer is I wish this had more viability as a seated VR title, can't seem to pull any items from my sides while sitting. Other then that this is such an impressive and polished presentation overall and I hope it's an indication of what we can expect from AAA VR games in the future.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Report back with your results! Also make sure to try it across multiple sessions and not just once.

Holy shit, what? How'd I not know about this

I believe that's just what its outputting to your monitor and should have no bearing on whats in your headset. Most games have resolution scalers in them and are typically set to 1.0 instead of a specific resolution
Thanks. So setting the game resolution from 1080p to 4k does not make a difference in VR? I just downloaded Project Cars 2 and it looks fantastic in VR. Performance from what I can tell is very smooth and I don't notice any drops in frames. I am just curious, when gaming in VR what settings actually make a difference while in VR? I found the scaler in PC2 and set that to 2 and it looked better than the default of 1. I have most settings at high with shadows at medium and track detail at Ultra. The only time I could get the game to where it felt it was not as smooth was playing a track in a thunderstorm, max car count and I really only noticed some signs on the side of the road look a little jittery but gameplay felt smooth.

I guess, I just don't know what I can push or know what frame rate I am getting in VR other than how it feels. Are there any in-game/in-VR stat/frame rate counters?