• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Got my new gpu in yesterday and fired up Asgard and it started stuttering a bit during the intro and then really went to shit in the tavern, I'd seen perf issues reported for it before so I suppose it wasn't too unexpected. Some say you need an ssd to properly play it which I don't have, some other posts I saw on reddit said it had something to do with how asw's timing with frames is clashing with data being pulled from a HDD which is what causes all the stuttering. Anywho I was using it initially with Link and then tried Virtual Desktop today and almost all the stuttering is gone with that. Not sure what that's about, maybe something having to do with how VD's foveated encoding works vs Link's AADT.

Regardless, I'm enjoying the game quite a bit now, and really surprised just how good it looks and what a fantastic job Sanzaru did with the art style. It looks like a painting in parts and the colors are simply gorgeous on the Quest's oled display, particularly in the tavern. The way mundane objects like bottles and food are lit reminds me of certain still life or Baroque pieces. The character designs are fantastic too, some of those tavern patrons look crazy good, particularly the ones at the axe throwing mini game. Loving the sense of exploration although I'm still early in the tutorial and just got the axe. Only thing that's a bit of a bummer is I wish this had more viability as a seated VR title, can't seem to pull any items from my sides while sitting. Other then that this is such an impressive and polished presentation overall and I hope it's an indication of what we can expect from AAA VR games in the future.
I just got the game as well with my Rift S. Game is just gorgeous. I am playing it at Epic settings, with Resolution at 100%. I first had it on my HDD because I was running low on my SSD and I did not have any issues, but I decided to make room and move some other games off the SSD and moved Asgard to the SSD. I noticed improved load times, but the game still ran great and no issues.

I had the same issue with sitting, but what I did is stand up and reset the view, then I sat down and your legs seems to like fold under you and I was able to play seated (at least on the edge of the sofa) and still easily was able to look down to my right and drop items into the bag. Every once in a while I would have to reset it, but was able to play quite a bit sitting down. I do wish when they make games that are also seated is that they allow some adjustments in-game. In the Vader Immortal game it is the same thing. When seated you have a hard time grabbing your Lightsaber or other items, but yet the game is both standing and sitting. I notice a lot of games have things attach to your waist and you have to reach down to grab them, but they don't compensate for when you are sitting. I hope they work on that aspect.

How do you have the "look" set up in your game? I thought all VR games when using the Right Stick that you can only turn in 30 degree, but Asgard allows you to turn that off and turn like you do in a typical game. I LOVE that. I been having a hard time adjusting to 30 degree increment turning and prefer full movement like they allow in Asgard, but when I was playing standing man did I feel a bit dizzy but it was no issue while seated other than having a hard time grabbing items on my waist.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. So setting the game resolution from 1080p to 4k does not make a difference in VR? I just downloaded Project Cars 2 and it looks fantastic in VR. Performance from what I can tell is very smooth and I don't notice any drops in frames. I am just curious, when gaming in VR what settings actually make a difference while in VR? I found the scaler in PC2 and set that to 2 and it looked better than the default of 1. I have most settings at high with shadows at medium and track detail at Ultra. The only time I could get the game to where it felt it was not as smooth was playing a track in a thunderstorm, max car count and I really only noticed some signs on the side of the road look a little jittery but gameplay felt smooth.

I guess, I just don't know what I can push or know what frame rate I am getting in VR other than how it feels. Are there any in-game/in-VR stat/frame rate counters?
Can't really help you with what settings you should mess with since like most PC games it just varies from game to game. What I can tell you is that the resolution scaler is often the setting that will make the most noticeable difference but will also be the most performance heavy. Also you likely aren't hitting 80fps with 2.0 scaling. When Oculus can't hit its target frame rate it locks itself to half rate and creates artificial frames to insert in between the real frames. This is called Asynchronous Spacewarp. You shouldn't feel bad for having to rely on this though as the tech is quite good and many use it so they can push even better graphics especially in stuff like modded Skyrim. If something feels off though or if you notice artifacts then you'll want to lower your graphics until you can hit 80hz

As for graphics monitoring on the SteamVR side most use fpsVR. Doesn't work if you're using the Oculus API but should work if you're using SteamVR in the Rift S. As for overlays that work with the native Oculus API the only one to my knowledge is the Oculus Tray Tool (this one is free!)

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I just got the game as well with my Rift S. Game is just gorgeous. I am playing it at Epic settings, with Resolution at 100%. I first had it on my HDD because I was running low on my SSD and I did not have any issues, but I decided to make room and move some other games off the SSD and moved Asgard to the SSD. I noticed improved load times, but the game still ran great and no issues.

I had the same issue with sitting, but what I did is stand up and reset the view, then I sat down and your legs seems to like fold under you and I was able to play seated (at least on the edge of the sofa) and still easily was able to look down to my right and drop items into the bag. Every once in a while I would have to reset it, but was able to play quite a bit sitting down. I do wish when they make games that are also seated is that they allow some adjustments in-game. In the Vader Immortal game it is the same thing. When seated you have a hard time grabbing your Lightsaber or other items, but yet the game is both standing and sitting. I notice a lot of games have things attach to your waist and you have to reach down to grab them, but they don't compensate for when you are sitting. I hope they work on that aspect.

How do you have the "look" set up in your game? I thought all VR games when using the Right Stick that you can only turn in 30 degree, but Asgard allows you to turn that off and turn like you do in a typical game. I LOVE that. I been having a hard time adjusting to 30 degree increment turning and prefer full movement like they allow in Asgard, but when I was playing standing man did I feel a bit dizzy but it was no issue while seated other than having a hard time grabbing items on my waist.

I'll have to try that thanks! Yeah I also had those issues with Vader Immortal. It has a lot of issues but I like how Espire 1 let's you position your item belt wherever for easy seated gameplay. This may be a bug but I was able to position it above my head lol, it looks a bit weird but it makes for a lot simpler item use.

I just use the default snap turning in Asgard, I've gotten so used to it from other games that use it so it doesn't bother me so much. I can't do teleporting for basic forward movement though so that's set to smooth.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. I just bought a Quest and I love it because it's wireless when I want it to be or wired via Oculus Link when I wanna play PCVR, but I just watched Tested video review of the Index and I really want it now. Mainly the Knuckles, but still

Oct 27, 2017
So I loaded up Lone Echo and I love how solid the world feels. I was just thinking its weird how I can clip through so many game environments and was wondering if there was a solution to it.

I notice i instinctively dont walk through walls though in VR unless im testing it.

Gotta say, first week with my Rift S and I am impressed. I bought waaayyy too many VR games, but im enjoying it more than my CV1. Inside out tracking + touch controllers makes all the difference for me.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I'll have to try that thanks! Yeah I also had those issues with Vader Immortal. It has a lot of issues but I like how Espire 1 let's you position your item belt wherever for easy seated gameplay. This may be a bug but I was able to position it above my head lol, it looks a bit weird but it makes for a lot simpler item use.

I just use the default snap turning in Asgard, I've gotten so used to it from other games that use it so it doesn't bother me so much. I can't do teleporting for basic forward movement though so that's set to smooth.
For the record, I have not tried this yet, but I posted the same issue about sitting and Asgard's Wrath and being able to add items to your bag on the Rift S Facebook group. A person responded that if you toss the item over your shoulder/behind you it automatically goes into the bag. I am not sure if I have time to test this, but if it works that may be a great solution. Sounds odd, but perhaps it is some hidden thing in the game.

Last edited:

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered my valve index tonight. Excited but not sure what games to get first. I have only played psvr prior to this.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have experience ordering from Oculus themselves? I was going to buy from Amazon but they are currently out of stock and I don't know when they'll restock. Oculus.com has the Quest for the same price (with Vader Immortals) and free shipping but I cannot find anything recent about shipping dates, package quality, refunds or delivery times.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have experience ordering from Oculus themselves? I was going to buy from Amazon but they are currently out of stock and I don't know when they'll restock. Oculus.com has the Quest for the same price (with Vader Immortals) and free shipping but I cannot find anything recent about shipping dates, package quality, refunds or delivery times.
If you're I the US, hit up a Best Buy or GameStop

they could theoretically release new controllers for the quest, right?
They could, but who knows when that'll be. They seem to be all in on hand tracking right now

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
hat's the verdict on no man's sky vr?
It's one of my favourite gaming experiences of all time. To go from the surface of one planet, to space and back down on another planet in VR is such a cool and awe-inspiring experience,, especially if you got a friend in a ship next to you. I almost can't believe it is possible in VR. It's not a game for everyone tho.

And while the physical interaction is quite limited, I feel like the VR controlls and interface works really great and considering the variety of things you can do it's amazing that almost everything translate so well to VR.

Amazing work by Hello Games imo

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So if anyone wants a good puzzle game, I started playing A Fisherman's Tale, and I am loving it.
Will update once I finish it.

BTW, god damn, the Index is awesome! Barring some issues with the controllers, mostly where the system button is located, it is awesome.
While heavier than the lenovo explorer, it is more confortable, has better tracking, much more clear, the ipd adjustement is awesome, etc.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
zdMFXEU.png

my new computer is set up, now all I need is my usb cable to run the oculus link with my quest to come in the mail :)

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
For the record, I have not tried this yet, but I posted the same issue about sitting and Asgard's Wrath and being able to add items to your bag on the Rift S Facebook group. A person responded that if you toss the item over your shoulder/behind you it automatically goes into the bag. I am not sure if I have time to test this, but if it works that may be a great solution. Sounds odd, but perhaps it is some hidden thing in the game.

Yeah that's true, you just drop it over your shoulder and it goes to the inventory, also for additional weapons you pick up they get auto assigned there so you can just reach over your shoulder to equip them. Wonder if I can do that with the axe, would certainly make things easier for those sections requiring it.

About a week away now for Boneworks launch...knock on wood there's no delay. Don't think I've ever been this excited for a VR game before (and I'm sure it'll be surpassed by HL: Alyx). I hope the main campaign is a decent length. I know I'll still lose a bunch of time to the sandbox mode.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Trying to get a Rift S set up has been a colossal pain in the neck. It doesn't recognise any of my USB 3.1 ports as such and tells me they're running in USB 2.0 mode. All the USB drivers tell me they're up to date but there's no USB 3.0 Root Hub in the device manager and all driver dates are from 2006, apparently. I'd look for the drivers manually but basically all advice I can find on the matter tells me I need to stick to Windows update drivers.

Not to mention Oculus keeps telling me to restart to install the same update over and over again, and after uninstalling and reinstalling all the software 4 times to no avail I'm about ready to just send it back and save myself an aneurysm. When I get enough free time I'll send a support ticket to Oculus and see if they can help me figure out the problem.

EDIT: Ah, the old "whinge online then find a possible solution almost immediately afterwards" trick never fails. Turns out I'd turned off Intel USB 3.0 from BIOS a few months ago when troubleshooting another hardware problem and forgot to turn them back on again (I don't use USB 3.0/1 that much evidently). Don't have time to check if it fixes everything just yet but at the very least the USB 3.0 Root hub is showing up again.

Last edited:

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Any SteamVR users that have problems with height, I recommend SteamVR Advanced Setting. I was looking for a way to completely turn off the boundaries and stumbled upon this gem. It let's you adjust lots of stuff (height, orientation,...). I haven't figured everything out yet, but it seems to be able to save different room settings, too. Which will be a great help since one of the biggest hassles for me was playing certain games seated (like Rez Infinite, which has no way of adjusting for seated play on PC).
Ooh seems very useful.
FYI, that was a link to a deprecated version that was abandoned by the original creator. This is the current version that is being developed:

1 gift from Polynaut

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Polynaut Polynaut!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Polynaut said:
Maybe everyone in this thread already has a copy, but in case you don't, I have an extra copy of Arizona Sunshine for Steam that I'm happy to giveaway! (Sorry if I'm doing this completely wrong, I've never messed with this giveaway system.)

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Arizona Sunshine (VR) - Won by Kirksplosion Kirksplosion (17 entries)

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh Arizona Sunshine? Pêople talked quite well aobut it.
I just finished my first play through of it, the game is kinda janky and not very interactive, but it still was tons of fun to play through. Something about walking through a town and shooting zombies in the head in VR just doesnt get old. I would pick it up on sale, but wouldnt pay full price. I would like to play through it in Co Op too.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
My USB 3.0 active extension cable for Oculus Link came in today and I ended up buying budget cuts. Played for two hours straight which is not what I expected to do.
I've had PSVR since it launched and I like it, but with Room-Scale and actually good tracking PCVR is a completely different game. Everything feels so much more natural.

Also got some knuckle straps for my Oculus Touch controllers and I don't know how anyone plays without them.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Even as an Index owner I'm a little tempted to pick up a Quest just to play certain games wirelessly via Virtual Desktop. Really wish a wireless solution for Index was on the horizon.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Just ordered my valve index tonight. Excited but not sure what games to get first. I have only played psvr prior to this.
Check out this thread:
www.resetera.com

Just got a PCVR headset because of Half-Life: Alyx and want some game recommendations? I got you covered. (IMG HEAVY)

With the announcement of Half-Life: Alyx, a lot of people have recently taken the plunge in to VR for the first time and I've seen a lot of requests for game recommendations. I thought I'd compile a list specifically for PCVR to point to and give you some ideas. Everything here is playable with...

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I ordered my Index controllers 2 days ago (from EU) and am just wondering if I get an shipping estimation notice or something.
I know that they are struggling with supply and demand but it would be niche to know if I need to wait 1 month or 2 or 3 ......

EDIT: just got my shipping confirmation. HA!

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Finally been spending more time with my Index and the glare/lens artifacts are still incredibly obnoxious. I don't know if I''m still doing something wrong fit wise or am just super sensitive to it cause I have no idea how everyone else hasn't been complaining about it. Dropping the brightness helps some at least.

The black levels still suck, but that's less of an issue depending on the game. The speakers don't have great bass or isolation either, but them being preferable to normal headphones depends on the game I think.

I've being playing Hellblade and outside of the lighting, character models, and sound design, the game kinda sucks so far. I'm sure the narrative will be great, but I'm not having much fun with it as a game.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Finally been spending more time with my Index and the glare/lens artifacts are still incredibly obnoxious. I don't know if I''m still doing something wrong fit wise or am just super sensitive to it cause I have no idea how everyone else hasn't been complaining about it. Dropping the brightness helps some at least.

The black levels still suck, but that's less of an issue depending on the game. The speakers don't have great bass or isolation either, but them being preferable to normal headphones depends on the game I think.

I've being playing Hellblade and outside of the lighting, character models, and sound design, the game kinda sucks so far. I'm sure the narrative will be great, but I'm not having much fun with it as a game.
Last week, when I got my Index, I also complained about the glare. I was honestly shocked by how bad it is. I've gotten more used to it by now, or at least accepted it. I was on the verge of returning it at first. But the resolution is great and I find the speakers to be really nice, it just feels way better not having headphones on when playing, on PSVR I often just used my 5.1 system when playing long sessions of Skyrim VR (the game not having real 3D audio made it an easy choice).

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
New to VR dumb question (probably the first of many): do VR games scale for height?

I'm asking because I want to let my kids try it a little (Please spare me the health warnings - I'm aware), but in the case of even the introduction to Oculus, First Contact, if I imagined my kids in that same space they probably wouldn't be able to see over the counter. If it does adjust for height, does it do so at app launch? Am I able to "reset" the height at will if swapping from one person to another? Does it vary from software to software?

Sorry for the question barrage there!

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Tyriel doing one of his through the lens comparisons.

Despite the resolution running low for testing purposes in beta 1, it really hammers home how it's just better than Rift/Vive. I knew it was better than Vive from first hand experience, but I thought I was taking crazy pills when some Rift owners weren't acknowledging it. This video clearly shows Quest has a superior image even in this early beta state.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will Occuls link work with my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti?

And should I get a USB C to C cable or just the usb C to USB 3 linked here?

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017

Despite the resolution running low for testing purposes in beta 1, it really hammers home how it's just better than Rift/Vive. I knew it was better than Vive from first hand experience, but I thought I was taking crazy pills when some Rift owners weren't acknowledging it. This video clearly shows Quest has a superior image even in this early beta state.

That is way closer in quality between the rift s and the quest link than I would have expected. It matches what I noticed in the upgrade between my CV1 and Quest though.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Rift S owners - is it normal that some parts of the lenses are blurry? Like, near the edges. I notice this mainly while in Steam VR/Oculus menu, when I see some text. Not a huge deal in games but still...

Overall, after first week of honeymoon period, I can see that this tech needs some time. I'm still happy that I bought it, I love Pavlov, Moss and Lone Echo was fantastic. But I think FOV should be much wider.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
So Superhot VR is kind of incredible. I just got a Rift S over the weekend and its the first full game I've played with it, and I'm almost worried that I've already played the best on offer and its all downhill from here. There's just so many things about it and its design that make it excel dramatically in VR, it was exhilarating to play through.

There are a couple things that are bafflingly awkward about it though, like when you run of ammo or things to throw and you're stuck waiting/praying for the AI to get to you so you can attempt to get his weapon or have them kill you so you can restart the sequence. This is mainly just a problem in the challenges since you don't have the mind-blown power. It's also very apparent the game needed a "wait in real-time button", waving my hands around just to speed things up can be tedious and it's also still pretty slow.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017

Makes me feel a little better about my decision to spend more on the Quest instead of getting the Rift S. Even though the Rift has that 80hz screen, I think I prefer the colors/resolution of the Quest. Plus the extra 8hz probably doesn't make a huge difference.

Next step is definitely the Index though.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally bought mine.
Still had to put about 400 Canadian dollars to complete(1500 total) after selling most of my dota items. At least I used the "grey market technique" so those 400 bucks were actually 320 or so.
Doubt it'll arrive by the end of the year tho.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why so many companies have problems making a freaking client.

Bought a new NVME drive and after installing the 8GB download for Oculus, and taking a freakishly long time to install, I go to log in and the log in screen is just blank with a click button in the bottom right. It locked my entire computer up. My cursor worked (as did the open apps), but nothing else. Couldn't even use process explorer to shut it down.

So upon rebooting, the "repair" option that Oculus greets me with has to start the entire process over. The full 8GB download, the slow install, everything. WTF was the last 30 minutes for? FFS.

Did I mention an 8GB client seems excessive?

EDIT: Fuckers. So after they redownload everything and go through half the install process, it tells me they encountered a problem and I should restart my computer and contact Oculus if that doesn't work.

This is why people are Steam fanatics. Really?

EDIT: Third time's the charm (after wiping all traces from my HD). Was literally like 5 clicks away from being done the first time too. I can't believe there's no middle ground in that process.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
After buying H3VR in July and playing about a dozen hours in the range now and then, I finally ended up getting hooked on one of the game modes. It's been really satisfying actually learning the different weapons platforms and coming to terms with little idiosyncrasies with guns I'd never be able to own like open bolt WWII era stuff. Sadly the interactivity here is completely spoiling me when comparing it to any other shooting in VR. Tried out Arizona Sunshine and just hopped right out.

I really hope Boneworks at least takes a couple of cues from H3. I believe they will but how much I'm not sure.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
After buying H3VR in July and playing about a dozen hours in the range now and then, I finally ended up getting hooked on one of the game modes. It's been really satisfying actually learning the different weapons platforms and coming to terms with little idiosyncrasies with guns I'd never be able to own like open bolt WWII era stuff. Sadly the interactivity here is completely spoiling me when comparing it to any other shooting in VR. Tried out Arizona Sunshine and just hopped right out.

I really hope Boneworks at least takes a couple of cues from H3. I believe they will but how much I'm not sure.

So is H3VR purely a sandbox type of game to toy around with different items and physics, or is there some sort of structured mode of any kind?

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why so many companies have problems making a freaking client.

Bought a new NVME drive and after installing the 8GB download for Oculus, and taking a freakishly long time to install, I go to log in and the log in screen is just blank with a click button in the bottom right. It locked my entire computer up. My cursor worked (as did the open apps), but nothing else. Couldn't even use process explorer to shut it down.

So upon rebooting, the "repair" option that Oculus greets me with has to start the entire process over. The full 8GB download, the slow install, everything. WTF was the last 30 minutes for? FFS.

Did I mention an 8GB client seems excessive?

EDIT: Fuckers. So after they redownload everything and go through half the install process, it tells me they encountered a problem and I should restart my computer and contact Oculus if that doesn't work.

This is why people are Steam fanatics. Really?

EDIT: Third time's the charm (after wiping all traces from my HD). Was literally like 5 clicks away from being done the first time too. I can't believe there's no middle ground in that process.
Just hope you don't need account support. I loaded up my account earlier this year to buy some games and it errored on the website saying your account has been locked please contact customer service. I contacted customer service and I sent them the exact error, after about a 2 days they just said your account isn't locked, and I tried again, still locked with the same message. I replied back to them and they said " Thank you for your continued patience. After further review of the account I regret to inform you that we're unable to assist further. "

I had to open a new account to buy a game and just have two accounts now. AMAZING CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Index controllers arrived today and gahhhhh they're so much better. Only complaint so far is it feels a little uncomfortable to tilt the stick forward to move.

Hit me with games to try these bad boys with. So far I've done Pavlov and Hand Lab.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017