• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
So is H3VR purely a sandbox type of game to toy around with different items and physics, or is there some sort of structured mode of any kind?

There are currently 20 modes. Of those several are structured and several are sandboxes or high quality shooting ranges to learn the ins and outs of the 150+ guns.

The structured modes include a survival horror mode, a tower defense mode, an RPG mode and, the one I was referring to, a rogue like mode which has you capturing spawn points with permadeath, progress based weapon unlocks which are based on randomized pools of guns and progressively harder enemies. Super addicting.

The game is constantly evolving and took me awhile to get into and appreciate but I'm very glad I did and highly recommend it.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
It took me along time to figure out what you game you guys were talking about with H3VR. I will now wait to see if there is a christmas sale on this game.

How do these help exactly? Not sure if my hand qualify as big or not lol. I do find that I sometimes have trouble tilting the stick forward like the person you quoted so maybe I do have big hands?

It's supposed to widen the controller so your hand angle on top has better access to the buttons, track pad, and stick. I don't have index controllers yet or used this adapter personally. Just things I've read online. Brought it up as a suggestion to it possibly helping you use the analog stick. Worse comes to worse you are out like 10 dollars.

If I buy index controllers and the booster adapters I'm waiting for this seller to come back online after catching up with existing orders because they are offering a portal color pack:

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It took me along time to figure out what you game you guys were talking about with H3VR. I will now wait to see if there is a christmas sale on this game.
as far as I'm seeing it's never been on sale.
Like you can't even get a humble monthly discount on it never been on sale.
I imagine it won't be until it's out of early access.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
So how do you guys think the Pimax 8K X/Plus will compare with the Valve Index? Which do you think will be the best "all around" headset moving into 2020? Looking to get a PC headset (money isn't really an issue)(PC is fast enough) so I'm looking for the headset that would give me the best all around experience. Wanted to get some feedback from some people more experienced with VR then I am.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

It's supposed to widen the controller so your hand angle on top has better access to the buttons, track pad, and stick. I don't have index controllers yet or used this adapter personally. Just things I've read online. Brought it up as a suggestion to it possibly helping you use the analog stick. Worse comes to worse you are out like 10 dollars.

If I buy index controllers and the booster adapters I'm waiting for this seller to come back online after catching up with existing orders because they are offering a portal color pack:

As far as I know, the devs of H3VR(that's Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades) have said they will never put the game on sale while it remains in early access. And it's been that way for almost four years. Dont count on it.

With Steam's generous return policy though, why not just try it?

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Just received my Index kit and the shipping box already put a big smile on my face with the Portal themed caution icons, goddamn you Valve ♥️

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Nostos is getting absolutely savaged by the Steam reviews. As of this post, it has a Mostly Negative with 91 reviews. Unless I'm misunderstanding how the filter system works, I'm relatively certain Steam thought it was being review bombed because I couldn't see any of them until I clicked off the "Excluding Off-topic Review Activity" filter. Disappointing.

Didn't see any mention of this but a really awesome looking cyberpunk VR game was unveiled today and it looks awesome:

Trailer:

Gameplay:

Article:

Looks like Boneworks meets Bladerunner. At any rate it looks like a title to get excited for in 2020.
Yep looks cool. Combat looks pretty weak right now though. Hopefully they can get that up to par with everything else about it because everything else looks great so far.

Dec 23, 2017
Nostos is getting absolutely savaged by the Steam reviews. As of this post, it has a Mostly Negative with 91 reviews. Unless I'm misunderstanding how the filter system works, I'm relatively certain Steam thought it was being review bombed because I couldn't see any of them until I clicked off the "Excluding Off-topic Review Activity" filter. Disappointing.

Yep looks cool. Combat looks pretty weak right now though. Hopefully they can get that up to par with everything else about it because everything else looks great so far.

I was at work when it released but yeah, I heard its got quite a few problems.

I'm gonna buy it anyway to show my support, but I really do hope they iron out those issues. I wonder if they were forced to release it today and not later.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Lonn looked cool, but seems to have lots of stick locomotion, and jumping, so containing any hype as of now. Also, there's no indication at all, neither on the announcement video, or their own webpage for the game as to which headsets it's going to be available to. So guessing they're looking to lock down Oculus exclusivity?

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Lonn looked cool, but seems to have lots of stick locomotion, and jumping, so containing any hype as of now. Also, there's no indication at all, neither on the announcement video, or their own webpage for the game as to which headsets it's going to be available to. So guessing they're looking to lock down Oculus exclusivity?

That was my concern as well. It almost seems as if the company is fishing for make a deal with someone and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes an Oculus exclusive which would suck for those of us using SteamVR products. I mean Revive works pretty well as far as I can tell but I'd still like the option to have a native copy I can buy on the Steam store.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So that Nostos game came out and the user reviews are deep red. Seems like a technical mess.

Dec 23, 2017
So that Nostos game came out and the user reviews are deep red. Seems like a technical mess.

I bought it for the art direction, and I played it for about 20 minutes before my game bugged out and I couldn't interact with the menus. I noticed a number of issues:

-Hands aren't aligned correctly with touch controllers
-game needs optimization badly, very stuttery
-left arm does not work correctly
-could not interact with menu's after 7 minutes
-HUD/UI issues

The game is definitely beautiful, it's a sight to see. When Emi Evans starts singing, it's magical. I think the game has potential, but it needs a lot of fixes.

370AC95D9B1CBF1DCC0EFFD71FAAF17FAE7C0E90

28DCEC19BEE025CD7933CD0641579E08CE7D8F2B

73DCC011AC069083E2D6E3CF4E1AE8B98D4076AF

6482398FE1610B5741E78477BAD6BE3A440D1F20

8D812B554F6358FF309847D470F527CBF2184EC4

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here play Lone Echo with a WMR HMD? I'm at the part where I need to calibrate the visor by touching a button on the side of my head and it just doesn't work. Think the lack of having a lighthouse is making it impossible. Any ideas?

EDIT; Got it to work, but you have to do it in a precise spot.

Last edited:

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
vroptician site said:
Please note that the delivery of new orders may be delayed until the new year (due to a high demand and our workshop being closed between Christmas and New Year).

My Index kit got here super fast in just a few days but it's looking like my vroptician adapters might arrive in January. RIP my VR christmas fun. ☹

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up Gorn on the Steam Autumn sale and finally played a bit of it. It's fun enough but the goofy rubbery weapons kinda get on my nerves. I need to grab Blade and Sorcery cause that seems more up my alley.

madspooky

Oct 28, 2017
Fort Kent, ME
Can anyone recommend any good "experience" type games? I've been playing Beat Saber with the new wall mods and it's really cool to see some of the things they've done with it and Tetris Effect as well with it's mode where you can just sit back and experience the visuals so I'm looking for other things that allow for a passive, almost calming type kind of experience?

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
*Sees you can convert old Vive controllers to leg trackers with steam dongle*

"Oh shit cool, I'll pick a few dongles up they're probably cheap"

*Goes to amazon*

*Eyes bulge out of head*

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
*Sees you can convert old Vive controllers to leg trackers with steam dongle*

"Oh shit cool, I'll pick a few dongles up they're probably cheap"

*Goes to amazon*

*Eyes bulge out of head*
Yeah I heard people saying to grab a few steam controllers when they were on sale because that was cheaper than buying the dongles individually. I only grabbed one, kinda regret it now.

Does the Index not use the steam controller dongles for its controllers??

Uriah

Oct 25, 2017
My SteamVR playtime seems to be increasing even though I am not in SteamVR. Is this a known bug?

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I heard people saying to grab a few steam controllers when they were on sale because that was cheaper than buying the dongles individually. I only grabbed one, kinda regret it now.

Does the Index not use the steam controller dongles for its controllers??
Index controllers pair to the HMD (which can only have 2 controllers paired at a time), thus the need for these dongles to make use of the Vive Controllers after the Index purchase. I ordered 2 Steam controllers when they went on sale, but they're still in transit, so haven't been able to try them out yet.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Can anyone recommend any good "experience" type games? I've been playing Beat Saber with the new wall mods and it's really cool to see some of the things they've done with it and Tetris Effect as well with it's mode where you can just sit back and experience the visuals so I'm looking for other things that allow for a passive, almost calming type kind of experience?
Not sure if this is what you're looking for but have you checked out all the free Google Spotlight Stories on Steam? Or the Oculus Studios stuff on Oculus like "Henry".

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, going back to my older post...

If I live in canada and want to pair my old Vive controllers as trackers, what would be the best solution to getting those steam controller dongles? Kijiji/ebay? Suck it up and pay the Amazon price?

Or is there another dongle that will work as well.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So an important question, how do you guys make is to that your Headset cable doesnt get all twitsted and to keep it straight? I need to keep it straight and I have no idea how.

Oct 25, 2017
So an important question, how do you guys make is to that your Headset cable doesnt get all twitsted and to keep it straight? I need to keep it straight and I have no idea how.
While playing, the only real way is to not turn around much, or to make sure you're countering every clockwise turn with a counterclockwise one. When done playing, if you like to wrap you cable, make sure you're wrapping it correctly.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

On the Oculus store:
Dear Angelica
Henry

On Steam:
Google Spotlight Stories
Irrational Exuberance: Prologue
Surge
Sheaf - Together EP
We Are Stars
The Blue

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017

The Great C is a good VR short film - about 25 minutes or so - based on a Philip K Dick short story. It's well animated and has some impressive visuals.
Fantasynth is also a cool 8 mins or so.
The Wave is all about 'sit back and experience visuals along with music', and free so I highly recommend that. There are some really cool sets.
Age of Sail and Pearl are the best of the Google Stories, both very emotional and well done.
Kygo 'Carry Me' is an impressive music video, one that I show to a lot of first time VR people.
Apex - A very dramatic music/experience, great sense of scale.
Summer Funland - The Submarine ride. Summer Funland has all sorts of mini games and whatnot that are decent throwaway fun, but the highlight is a 7 minutes or so long underwater ride that is still one of the coolest things I've done in VR.

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Played through more of Asgard last night and got to the second character region that has you doing a quest for Heimdall, I'm consistently wowed by the attention to detail and sense of grandeur wrt the environments, I know VR is helping carry some of the load here but still this is probably the most impressively realized vision I've seen for Norse mythology in modern media. All the intricate details in each item, which can all be held and inspected up close, it's just nuts the level of craftsmanship that was put into every nook and cranny of the game. It's almost a pinch me situation finally seeing a VR exclusive with this scale of artistry put into it, this is something I would have expected from the next Elder Scrolls. Having HL: Alyx right around the corner is just wild to me too, VR is finally coming into its own on the AAA front.

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
What are the best horror games/experiences available on VR so far?

The best would probably be REVII but you probably already know that's PSVR only. Aside from that this should keep you busy:

Dreadhalls
Duck Season
Affected: The Manor (more an experience and on shorter side)
A Chair in a Room: Greenwater
Organ Quarter (Silent Hill inspired)
The Exorcist: Legion VR
FNAF VR

Also Layers of Fear is getting a VR mode/release on Tuesday so that might be one to watch out for.

As for my thoughts Dreadhalls is probably the scariest, and Exorcist probably has the best production values out of those I listed. Both that and A Chair in a Room are by the same dev and are both decent lengths and all around high quality. Hope that helps!

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
The best would probably be REVII but you probably already know that's PSVR only. Aside from that this should keep you busy:

Dreadhalls
Duck Season
Affected: The Manor (more an experience and on shorter side)
A Chair in a Room: Greenwater
Organ Quarter (Silent Hill inspired)
The Exorcist: Legion VR
FNAF VR

Also Layers of Fear is getting a VR mode/release on Tuesday so that might be one to watch out for.

As for my thoughts Dreadhalls is probably the scariest, and Exorcist probably has the best production values out of those I listed. Both that and A Chair in a Room are by the same dev and are both decent lengths and all around high quality. Hope that helps!

Alright I'll check some of those out. Do you know if Affected: The Manor works with the Valve Index? It's not listed as supported on the Steam store page.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So I bought torn, and the hands are opposite what they should be.
Left is right and right is left.
Any idea why and how to solve it? playing on index.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a solution for you, but it sounds like sometimes it might randomly work. So I guess try resetting your computer and the game lots and hope for the best?

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Kinda burnt on VR at the moment. Tried that kart game but it's not that engaging. I miss the honeymoon phase where everything looked awesome.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Kinda burnt on VR at the moment. Tried that kart game but it's not that engaging. I miss the honeymoon phase where everything looked awesome.

It's an up and down for me too. Totally depends on sales for me.

Didn't touch my vive for months but then some sales were going on and I grabbed Boxing VR and Trover saves the Universe and I am in again.
Might last a few more days, weeks and then probably won't touch it till HL: Alyx

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Is it an Unreal engine game? That used to be an old issue with those though I'm pretty sure it was fixed a long while ago. Basically it would register whatever controller you turned on first as one hand and the other as the other. So if that's the issue, you'd need to exit the game, turn off your controllers, and turn them back on one at a time noting which one you did first, then boot the game again and see what happens. Worth a try.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
You could buy $5 coupons using the currency you got for the amount you bought since the last large sale. Considering I bought the index, it's going to be glorious lol
Is it an Unreal engine game? That used to be an old issue with those though I'm pretty sure it was fixed a long while ago. Basically it would register whatever controller you turned on first as one hand and the other as the other. So if that's the issue, you'd need to exit the game, turn off your controllers, and turn them back on one at a time noting which one you did first, then boot the game again and see what happens. Worth a try.
mmm, will try that. I'll let you know once I do.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
humble bundle has various games on sale
i expect you to die

until you fall

are both on decent sales. If you are a humble monthly/choice subscriber you get an extra 20% off (and if you know someone that is one, once a month they can share their discount with you if you give them your email to your humble monthly account)

I couldn't resist and picked them both up. I've seen a bit of I expect you to die and it's a fun low energy introduction to VR, and until you fall has looked fun for a while now.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Fanatical is currently running a build your own bundle deal that has 2 VR games in it. The most inexpensive tier is 3 games for $2.49, so that's $0.83 per game. The VR games are:

The Invisible Hours (Steam link shown; deal is on Fanatical's site)

and

Emily Wants to Play (Steam link shown; deal is on Fanatical's site)

While I haven't played the Emily game, I did complete The Invisible Hours on PSVR the day I booted it up. Without spoiling anything, it's more of a movie experience than it is a game. The story/mystery was compelling enough for me to want to unravel all of the plot threads and finish it in one sitting. It was also an easy Platinum trophy.