• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
What other games do people recommend? I was looking at beat Sabre which looked pretty cool?

I'd add Superhot VR to the "must have" list. Even if you've played the original it's worth it since it's a completely different game built specifically for VR.

Another question - how on earth do you turn off the Rift controllers as when i stop playing they still seem to be on which wears out the batteries. Surely I don't have to unplug the device from the USB every time?

I would actually love to know this too as I've just been unplugging it every time to make sure the headset and controllers are off.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, some strange choices here. While fiddling around with the INIs I deactivated TAA once and the game became a lot sharper. But with shimmering around almost everything which made it look worse in total for me. Definitively needs some major polish/optimization.

Well, I had some bucks left and bought Skyrim VR for 17€, too. I don't know, but this game is still the most impressive VR game for me. Even when it's just a lazy VR port the size of the world with all its inhabitants in VR is unrivalled (okay there is Fallout 4, too) and I think it looks totally fine for a VR game. The jump in sharpness from PSVR is remarkable and finally being able to use analogue stick walking combined with motion controls is another big advantage over PSVR. "Steering" your character with the move-controllers was just utter shit so that I always used the controller on PS4.
The VR mods for Skyrim can completely transform the game in ways. Definitely check those out. VRIK and Spellsiphon in particular.

Ok thanks, i'll purchase Beat Sabre and Skyrim when i get home.

Any other "must have" VR titles?

Here's a thread I made with a list. It's starting to get a bit outdated though. Boneworks and Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners would be some newer ones not included there.
www.resetera.com

Just got a PCVR headset because of Half-Life: Alyx and want some game recommendations? I got you covered. (IMG HEAVY)

With the announcement of Half-Life: Alyx, a lot of people have recently taken the plunge in to VR for the first time and I've seen a lot of requests for game recommendations. I thought I'd compile a list specifically for PCVR to point to and give you some ideas. Everything here is playable with...

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Regarding Oculus controllers turning off, I've been experimenting with that since I got mine in July and I still can't get them to turn off. If you quit the oculus app they will power off but say you then move them to wherever you store them, the motion sensor kicks back in and they turn on again even if the HMD is off.

I have a four-pack of Eneloops charging just for them at this point. Swap them out every few days.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Really not happy with Asgard's Wrath performance. Setting the PhysX-Settings from Nvidia control panel to your graphic card instead of AUTO seems to bring minor improvements, but the stuttering is still there. Considering how widespread this problem is with the Oculus Quest I will just wait for further patches on both the Link and Game side.

The game is really great but the stuttering is too annoying to bear and I don't want it to look like shit. My 2070S should be able to handle this on high settings.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
What's the next VR game on the horizon that looks like it might be Saints and Sinners quality? I'm really excited to see what people can come up with in these more meaty experiences.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The VR mods for Skyrim can completely transform the game in ways. Definitely check those out. VRIK and Spellsiphon in particular.
Tried the mod. While I can see why people love this and it's certainly well made it just feels wrong to me. I really like my vanilla Skyrim I guess. I will just end up playing another one-hand and shield wielding totally good guy Warrior and enjoy the fuck out of it. Maybe I go with a Nord instead of a Redguard this time.

So I also tried Blasters of the Universe and I think it sucks a bit. Shooting lacky oomph and dodging and blocking was done better in other games. But maybe I played enough of these shooting gallery games. Or I am still spoiled by Blood & Truth which absolutely nailed shooting.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Tried the mod. While I can see why people love this and it's certainly well made it just feels wrong to me. I really like my vanilla Skyrim I guess. I will just end up playing another one-hand and shield wielding totally good guy Warrior and enjoy the fuck out of it. Maybe I go with a Nord instead of a Redguard this time.
Speaking of, this guy just started a Youtube series where he's going to highlight Skyrim VR mods (or mods that work in it). Probably worth keeping an eye on.

Oct 25, 2017
After 10 hours of play, I finished Boneworks.

I gotta say, I don't think I've ever gone from "I'm not really liking this" all the way to "this would have been an easy lock for a GotY" over the course of a game. In point of fact, I think Boneworks -- despite all of its flaws -- is *the* game to play in VR. I think it's the strongest current showcase of the tech, I think the shooting is legit some of the best ever in a videogame when you factor in the immersion and the interaction, and I think the game manages to do it all with great performance and visuals to boot. The only thing I'd say is comparatively weak is the story and art design, but the latter is debatable and the former doesn't much matter. The truth is after every session with the game except maybe the first two I've put the helmet down and sat down and just been kind of in awe with what the future of entertainment will bring. If PSVR was taking a peak at that future, PCVR and Boneworks is putting two feet firmly in the doorway and getting an eyeful of possibilities. My hype for Half-Life: Alyx at this point cannot be contained or controlled; I need something that will bring the emotion and storytelling into this equation, and I think I'll be sweeping my jaw off the floor until the Valve Index 2 comes out.

Anyone who has just picked up an Index, or is waiting for theirs: please, please, please get Boneworks. It's a difficult game, it demands a lot from players, it has an incredibly high requirement for VR familiarity, but it is absolutely a masterpiece of the art form and deserves to be one of it not the first title you get.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
After 10 hours of play, I finished Boneworks.

I gotta say, I don't think I've ever gone from "I'm not really liking this" all the way to "this would have been an easy lock for a GotY" over the course of a game. In point of fact, I think Boneworks -- despite all of its flaws -- is *the* game to play in VR. I think it's the strongest current showcase of the tech, I think the shooting is legit some of the best ever in a videogame when you factor in the immersion and the interaction, and I think the game manages to do it all with great performance and visuals to boot. The only thing I'd say is comparatively weak is the story and art design, but the latter is debatable and the former doesn't much matter. The truth is after every session with the game except maybe the first two I've put the helmet down and sat down and just been kind of in awe with what the future of entertainment will bring. If PSVR was taking a peak at that future, PCVR and Boneworks is putting two feet firmly in the doorway and getting an eyeful of possibilities. My hype for Half-Life: Alyx at this point cannot be contained or controlled; I need something that will bring the emotion and storytelling into this equation, and I think I'll be sweeping my jaw off the floor until the Valve Index 2 comes out.

Anyone who has just picked up an Index, or is waiting for theirs: please, please, please get Boneworks. It's a difficult game, it demands a lot from players, it has an incredibly high requirement for VR familiarity, but it is absolutely a masterpiece of the art form and deserves to be one of it not the first title you get.

Glad to hear you liked it so much, and I know exactly what you mean about wanting the more emotional component. What I found frustrating is the beginning of Boneworks had some pretty ominous and strange vibes (I still don't know what that phantom chair tip and door opening and closing before the Museum was about), but they were never built upon or explored thematically beyond "Monagon bad, simulation bad". Alyx will likely fill that story void nicely.

I decided to pick up FO4VR during the sale and have been pleasantly surprised by the performance despite the less than stellar attempts (or lack thereof) from Bethesda of porting the gameplay elements over to VR. Although every gun feels like a weightless plastic toy combat is still more fun than the melee waggle fest of Skyrim VR. With a few mods installed for improving gun aiming down iron sights and tweaking color palette and weather it's become one of the most atmospheric and visually pleasing titles out there for VR. Also the pitch black nights with the lighting mod I'm using are reminciscent of Stalker, always a good thing.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Apparently the embargo lifted early - I can say that Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners is definitely worth buying. Combat is a lot of fun, the game is super tense and atmospheric but also gives you breathing room also. Crafting is fun and it feels surprisingly substantial overall.

Negatives are mainly some of the environments feeling a bit repetitive and some mild jank. But unless it gets worse in the next few hours, I'm probably scoring it an 8/10.

How much space do you need to enjoy the game, or get the most out of it?

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
How's Accounting+? It's super cheap on the Oculus store right now

I really enjoyed it. It's like being a part of a series of ridiculous interactive sketch comedy scenes. And like a sketch comedy show, some scenes hit and some miss and some are in between. I definitely found it worthwhile and recommend it, but how much you like it will depend on your style of humor.

Oct 27, 2017
I should really get to some of my untouched VR games, but I just can't stop playing Beat Saber.

It's a problem.
Seriously.

I got the Index around Christmas time and bought a bunch of games and dabbled with most of them but man, Beat Saber is so much damn fun. And I say this as somebody that has historically not cared for rhythm games.

Its such a rush and feeling of accomplishment when you clear a tough song. But a really good custom map like Rasputin (Funk Overload) is just super fun even if you keep screwing it up because its all timed up so well that you're practically just dancing around. Its great goofy fun.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Brehs. I just got a new Rift S (Had a 1st gen Vive before) and I'm loving it. I just bought Blade and Sorcery and holy fuck.. after 30 minutes I'm ready to puke. I've flown in commercial aircraft, fighter jets, boats, coasters, and I've never had motion sickness before, and this takes the cake. Oi.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I'm jumping into pcvr this weekend, via my quest and the anker powerline usb C to A wire. The offical oculus one is far too expensive to get to test out and enjoy some pcvr. The quest has and will be used a wire free vr device, just want to try pcvr out on the cheap. Should be very fun.

A few questions though for the vr community.Does anyone have experience with the cable when it comes to the VR link and will the cable charge my quest like the offical link cable does?

Secondly, my pc. The cpu is a haswell i5 one,so yes old, and comes under the oculus link specs because its clocked at 3.2 ghz. Not too worried since I'm only going to play the Crossbuy games I have on my quest, and old steam games with vr modes and such from 2016. Anyone tried link with a below spec pc so far? Not going to change the cpu until next year when the new ryzen chips come out.

What I can improve however is my gpu. It's currently a gtx 970 which chugs along fine, so far. I can overclock it a further 14-16% to help with fps. It's a EVGA factory over clocked one.

I can also trade it for a used rx 580 on the cheap, just so I can ride out vr until next year when the new navi gpus come out. Just wondering if it worth changing the gpu due to the cpu.

Any advice is welcome.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I should really get to some of my untouched VR games, but I just can't stop playing Beat Saber.

It's a problem.
My current cycle is Walking dead SnS-> Beat Saber or H3VR Take and Hold -> Walking Dead SnS. With those 3 games right now I am completely entertained, sometimes need a break from one so just throw up the next. I also like to play some Tee Time golf every once in a while to mellow out.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
My current cycle is Walking dead SnS-> Beat Saber or H3VR Take and Hold -> Walking Dead SnS. With those 3 games right now I am completely entertained, sometimes need a break from one so just throw up the next. I also like to play some Tee Time golf every once in a while to mellow out.

That looks surprisingly good. I forget, what are you playing it on? I'm seeing some complaints with Touch controllers?

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
That looks surprisingly good. I forget, what are you playing it on? I'm seeing some complaints with Touch controllers?
I have an Index , took me a while to get into take and hold, i persevered because of all the recommendations =) I got Tee Time for 3 dollars on the last steam sale and it is the best buy ever, there are community driven maps with a browser built in and the game is a lot of fun.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I have an Index , took me a while to get into take and hold, i persevered because of all the recommendations =) I got Tee Time for 3 dollars on the last steam sale and it is the best buy ever, there are community driven maps with a browser built in and the game is a lot of fun.

Interesting. Sold. Or at least wishlisted. I'm too cheap to buy knowing it goes on sale.

It's only 10 dollars and that sounds terrible, but backlogs and all. I'd buy full price, right now, if it was on Quest native.

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if it's possible to turn left and right in H3VR with smooth locomotion enabled? I'm trying to get my controls to be similar to what I have set up in Pavlov, and I can move forwards and backwards with my left hand joystick, but I can't seem to turn left and right with the right hand joystick.

I'm using a WMR Odyssey+ headset thats configured properly in SteamVR, and im using the top community control scheme for WMR users. Thoughts?

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Brehs. I just got a new Rift S (Had a 1st gen Vive before) and I'm loving it. I just bought Blade and Sorcery and holy fuck.. after 30 minutes I'm ready to puke. I've flown in commercial aircraft, fighter jets, boats, coasters, and I've never had motion sickness before, and this takes the cake. Oi.

Try it on your Vive? Also make sure you aren't dropping frames. I find slower refresh rates or framerates make me motion sick, the ~12% refresh rate drop from Vive to Rift S could be making the problem worse.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if it's possible to turn left and right in H3VR with smooth locomotion enabled? I'm trying to get my controls to be similar to what I have set up in Pavlov, and I can move forwards and backwards with my left hand joystick, but I can't seem to turn left and right with the right hand joystick.

I'm using a WMR Odyssey+ headset thats configured properly in SteamVR, and im using the top community control scheme for WMR users. Thoughts?

No it's not possible. Anton, the main dev, has gone into great detail on this - his reasoning is that there's too many inputs for gun manipulation and not enough buttons. I recommend turning the snap turn feature up to 90 degrees. It works well with smooth locomotion.

Not sure if you've realized, but whatever the top face buttons are on WMR are toggles for movement or gun manipulation.

Can't you just turn your head?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can, but I got used to using the stick to do fast turns and my head for more subtle movements, as thats what I've been using in Pavlov and other VR games.

Fair enough. I haven't played Pavlov so I don't have experience with that control method.

For H3VR I initially thought that would make sense, but think about how you would even eject a mag or cock a revolver or turn the safety off if the right stick was used for movement. We need more buttons on these little vr controllers.

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. I haven't played Pavlov so I don't have experience with that control method.

For H3VR I initially thought that would make sense, but think about how you would even eject a mag or cock a revolver or turn the safety off if the right stick was used for movement. We need more buttons on these little vr controllers.

So on the WMR controllers we have both touchpads and thumbsticks, and both can be used independently if the developer takes advantage of them.

In Pavlov, you can use the sticks for movement, and the touchpads for other inputs like the weapon wheel.

In H3VR, I'm still using the right touchpad for weapon functions, but moving the right thumbstick left and right does nothing. Moving it down makes my character jump.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of surprised there aren't more VR golf games. Or at least arcadey or goofy ones like What the Golf. Seems like a genre you could do a lot with in VR. I had my eyes on this game Fruit Golf that would have been right up my alley, but I wishlisted it in 2016 and it blew right by both it's "Coming 2017" and then "Coming 2018" release dates with zero communication so I doubt it will ever get released.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So on the WMR controllers we have both touchpads and thumbsticks, and both can be used independently if the developer takes advantage of them.

In Pavlov, you can use the sticks for movement, and the touchpads for other inputs like the weapon wheel.

In H3VR, I'm still using the right touchpad for weapon functions, but moving the right thumbstick left and right does nothing. Moving it down makes my character jump.

Interesting. I didn't realize you had more buttons. If that's the case then maybe you can turn with the stick? Sorry for the WMR ignorance, maybe I was wrong.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
IMO H3VR relies too much on the buttons and it makes it a lot less intuitively to use the guns than it could be. I get that it's going for a more tactile mechanical approach though and the way it's implemented allows you to do a lot of actions one handed that you otherwise couldn't.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I'm sitting here with Stormland & Asgard's Wrath but the Oculus Quest is making these games a bit of a (literal) pain due to the lacking comfort of the headset (even after having bought the VR Cover add-ons). I also believe my 6700K + GTX 980ti is not quite up to snuff as I'm getting minor head-aches (probably from a blend of micro stutters and the uncomfortable design). Might just prep the GTX 1080ti machine and set up the old Vive we have at work and spend some evenings there instead. I just spent some time with my PSVR (last time I played it was in May 2019) and was reminded how comfortable the physical headwear can be (also helped going from 72hz -> 120hz).

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sitting here with Stormland & Asgard's Wrath but the Oculus Quest is making these games a bit of a (literal) pain due to the lacking comfort of the headset (even after having bought the VR Cover add-ons). I also believe my 6700K + GTX 980ti is not quite up to snuff as I'm getting minor head-aches (probably from a blend of micro stutters and the uncomfortable design). Might just prep the GTX 1080ti machine and set up the old Vive we have at work and spend some evenings there instead. I just spent some time with my PSVR (last time I played it was in May 2019) and was reminded how comfortable the physical headwear can be (also helped going from 72hz -> 120hz).

I'm not a person prone to headaches, but the stock strap on the Quest would do this to me. It needed to be a certain tightness to function, and that tightness was a killer for me.

I'm not sure what type of add-ons you added. But I definitely needed the DAS and counter-weight so it wasn't a face grip on me. Some type of mod that can redistribute the weight would probably help you on this. It definitely can be made comfortable if you pinpoint what your problem areas are and come up with counters for them.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of surprised there aren't more VR golf games. Or at least arcadey or goofy ones like What the Golf. Seems like a genre you could do a lot with in VR. I had my eyes on this game Fruit Golf that would have been right up my alley, but I wishlisted it in 2016 and it blew right by both it's "Coming 2017" and then "Coming 2018" release dates with zero communication so I doubt it will ever get released.
I wish there were more mini golf games as well, works so well in VR. I am planning on getting Cloudlands Mini Golf the next time it goes on sale. For some odd reason xmas sale it was the only game on my wishlist that did not go on sale BAH.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Robo Recall last night and it was definitely a fun game, pretty sure I spent most of my time just ripping or throwing robots instead of shooting. Will say my biggest issue with the game was the sensitivity boxes where your weapons are holstered on your hips or back are a bit too high. For example, a lot of time the pistols or revolvers would equip to my hands automatically if I just moved slightly.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. Someone is working on a VR mod for Outer Wilds. Has motion controller support and everything. I played a decent amount of the regular version but couldn't stop thinking about how good of a VR game it would be.