• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man. Someone is working on a VR mod for Outer Wilds. Has motion controller support and everything. I played a decent amount of the regular version but couldn't stop thinking about how good of a VR game it would be.

Well this is definitely the coolest news of my day so far...was thinking Wilds would be perfect for VR during my initial playthrough as well. I need this now...and uh maybe an extra pair of shorts needed for going back to Dark Bramble with it :P

edit: And I see this is available now though in an early state, there goes my evening.

edit2: It worked pretty well for me with the limited time I had with it before my Quest died, though I wasn't able to figure out how to get my other tools to work such as the probe launcher/camera, the github page says its translated to a toolbelt position but I hadn't seen that before launching so will have to test later. It's really fun flying the ship but the cockpit looks huge in VR so the scale could stand to be tweaked there though relative to the size of everything else this may not be doable.

It's definitely a bit disorienting being on a planetoid and seeing the fast moving orbital paths, especially on Twin Ash. There's zero comfort options here and for those unaware this is a game with a lot of fast moving flying between your ship and jetpack traversal so fair warning this could potentially give ample motion sickness. It didn't bother me with the small time I had with it though curious how long that stays true especially when using the jetpack to fly across a planet's surface in continual orbit, you can pick up a ton of speed that way.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sitting here with Stormland & Asgard's Wrath but the Oculus Quest is making these games a bit of a (literal) pain due to the lacking comfort of the headset (even after having bought the VR Cover add-ons). I also believe my 6700K + GTX 980ti is not quite up to snuff as I'm getting minor head-aches (probably from a blend of micro stutters and the uncomfortable design). Might just prep the GTX 1080ti machine and set up the old Vive we have at work and spend some evenings there instead. I just spent some time with my PSVR (last time I played it was in May 2019) and was reminded how comfortable the physical headwear can be (also helped going from 72hz -> 120hz).
Be advised that at least Asgard's Wrath is known for shit performance. It also stutters on my 2070S and I read a lot about the problem trying to fix it and even people with a 2080TI seem to get stutters sometimes. It's either a bug in the game or the engine or the Oculus Link. Some claim it wasn't there last year before the update.

Regarding Asgard's Wrath: I tried to refund it but no luck because I played for more than 2 hours (which was basically trying to fix the stuttering, lol). Even told the support so. All I got was a standard Email telling me that the refund was declined. I hope they fix it in the future, but I am positive they will. Link is still in Beta and things will probably be ironed out.

So instead of Asgard, I am playing Skyrim again and man, I always floored when playing this. This world in VR is just something else. I hope we get more full RPGs in the future that support VR. It's just the best.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
So after 75 hours I finally beat a five hold game of Take and Hold in H3 on the hardest settings! On-site procurement, limited ammo, fast projectiles "human" health (okay, not one-hit, so not the hardest setting completely) etc.

I rolled a Pocket1906 to start (the .25 caliber miniature pistol) and didn't have high hopes. Got lucky and upgraded to a P250 with API +P rounds and that little handgun took me through three holds. Then I upgraded to an AKM Tactical with AP ammo and a laser pointer and that took me through to the finish. Ended the game with 90 health points left and I could hear my heart beating. So much fun!

What settings do you other Take and Hold players use?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So after 75 hours I finally beat a five hold game of Take and Hold in H3 on the hardest settings! On-site procurement, limited ammo, fast projectiles "human" health (okay, not one-hit, so not the hardest setting completely) etc.

I rolled a Pocket1906 to start (the .25 caliber miniature pistol) and didn't have high hopes. Got lucky and upgraded to a P250 with API +P rounds and that little handgun took me through three holds. Then I upgraded to an AKM Tactical with AP ammo and a laser pointer and that took me through to the finish. Ended the game with 90 health points left and I could hear my heart beating. So much fun!

What settings do you other Take and Hold players use?
What is H3?

Played some Serious Sam: Lost Frontier. One of the better wave shooters.
Dance Collider is brilliant so far. Nice alternative to Beat Saber.
How is Audacity? I am really having fun with those music games in VR.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Audica is Elite Beat Agents with guns in VR. I absolutely love it.
Yeah it looks great. How does the Quest version compare to the Steam version? Any hard downgrades? I prefer wireless VR so I can take a small hit in graphics.
I have 4€ free on the Oculus store until February 4th I think. Might as well spend it on that.
store.steampowered.com

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades on Steam

Do you like hot dogs? How about horseshoes? Hand grenades? (everyone likes hand grenades) Anyway, we've got all that, and guns. SO MANY GUNS. So if you like ordnance, meat, and far too many groan-worthy puns, this is the VR sandbox game for you.

One of the best VR games IMO. A bit older now but still very heavily developed.
Thanks. Is is just sandbox or does it have some meaty gameplay as well? Not too keen on "setting my own goals".

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it looks great. How does the Quest version compare to the Steam version? Any hard downgrades? I prefer wireless VR so I can take a small hit in graphics.
I have 4€ free on the Oculus store until February 4th I think. Might as well spend it on that.
Thanks. Is is just sandbox or does it have some meaty gameplay as well? Not too keen on "setting my own goals".

I've not had a chance to try the Quest version yet. I've not read anything about major downgrades, and putting the custom songs on it is super simple.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017

The meat of the gameplay is mostly the challenge modes like Take & Hold. It has score tracking and semi-randomized layouts and you have to take over in increasingly difficult stages. The pure gameplay is some of the best in VR but there's not any real 'campaign' to speak of.

No other VR game comes close in terms of the gun handling and simulation.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I've not had a chance to try the Quest version yet. I've not read anything about major downgrades, and putting the custom songs on it is super simple.
I read a lot about a steep learning curve. Videos don't look like that this game is overly hard to understand or grasp? Anything on that?
The meat of the gameplay is mostly the challenge modes like Take & Hold. It has score tracking and semi-randomized layouts and you have to take over in increasingly difficult stages. The pure gameplay is some of the best in VR but there's not any real 'campaign' to speak of.

No other VR game comes close in terms of the gun handling and simulation.
Ok that sounds good enough. I will put it on my wishlist for the next sale.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I read a lot about a steep learning curve. Videos don't look like that this game is overly hard to understand or grasp? Anything on that?
Ok that sounds good enough. I will put it on my wishlist for the next sale.
It doesn't go on sale. Ever. If you want to play it just buy it whenever you want to play it.
Yeah and to be clear, this is not an hyperbole! Anton, the game's dev has said multiple times on the record that he will never put his game on sale...

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and to be clear, this is not an hyperbole! Anton, the game's dev has said multiple times on the record that he will never put his game on sale...
It doesn't go on sale. Ever. If you want to play it just buy it whenever you want to play it.
Well, considering this game is 4 years old this seems set in stone. Maybe I buy it tomorrow and have a nice shooty sunday. One last question. Is there free locomotion with the analogue sticks or only teleporting?

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Found some time to test out a mod list I put together for Skyrim VR. It performed a lot better then expected in testing considering some of the stuff I was testing. It was actually doing well enough to hit 90 fps most of the time. Exception being looking in certain directions around Falkreath where it dips under 90. Not sure if I'll end up targeting 90 with occasionally needing motion smoothing or maybe I'll run 120 on my Index with smoothing always on but bumping up super sampling a bit more.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody knows if there's a way to completely disable the Gardian on an Oculus Rift? (well technically a Quest with Link cable actually)

It's fine when playing standing up games but when playing sitting down, I can hit the "wall" by simply extanding my arms in front of me which means that they the Guardian pops-up all the time.

I turned the settings to the lowest settings in the menu but it's still always there...

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Tried my first match of Pavlov and wow does it fill the "CS in VR" itch. Looks like there are even CS custom maps. Can't wait to try out dust2.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this
Screenshot_20200201-220025_YouTube.jpg

Some unanswered questions there. Wonder which 5k+ units this applies to. As I think there's been a few different models.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Well, considering this game is 4 years old this seems set in stone. Maybe I buy it tomorrow and have a nice shooty sunday. One last question. Is there free locomotion with the analogue sticks or only teleporting?

Hey hope you enjoy H3! I bounced off it twice before it really got me. The biggest gateway to entry for me was finding a movement scheme which worked for me and felt natural. I now use twin stick and love it but some people swear by armswinger. Take some time in the "Sampler Platter" tutorial and a gun range or two and dial in the settings that work best for you before jumping into the main modes. Wish I had this advice a year ago.

Also, regarding sales (or lack thereof) - it's not a cash grab or anything. The devs just don't like the idea of putting an early access title on sale because it denotes a business decision being made before the game has gone gold which, to them feels disingenuous and against the spirit of early access. May see a sale once the game hits 1.0 but that may be another year or two.

They post a patch and a 15-20 minute video update every Friday on all the stuff they've done that week and add at least one gun almost every time. They are also EXTREMELY responsive and active on Reddit and the Steam boards. I like their style.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody knows if there's a way to completely disable the Gardian on an Oculus Rift? (well technically a Quest with Link cable actually)

It's fine when playing standing up games but when playing sitting down, I can hit the "wall" by simply extanding my arms in front of me which means that they the Guardian pops-up all the time.

I turned the settings to the lowest settings in the menu but it's still always there...
Try this: https://support.oculus.com/164464277482261/?locale=en_US&ref=oculus-pc-app
Hey hope you enjoy H3! I bounced off it twice before it really got me. The biggest gateway to entry for me was finding a movement scheme which worked for me and felt natural. I now use twin stick and love it but some people swear by armswinger. Take some time in the "Sampler Platter" tutorial and a gun range or two and dial in the settings that work best for you before jumping into the main modes. Wish I had this advice a year ago.

Also, regarding sales (or lack thereof) - it's not a cash grab or anything. The devs just don't like the idea of putting an early access title on sale because it denotes a business decision being made before the game has gone gold which, to them feels disingenuous and against the spirit of early access. May see a sale once the game hits 1.0 but that may be another year or two.

They post a patch and a 15-20 minute video update every Friday on all the stuff they've done that week and add at least one gun almost every time. They are also EXTREMELY responsive and active on Reddit and the Steam boards. I like their style.
Ok I will keep that in mind.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Got a question. So I am finally received my Oculus Link cable and it works really well with PCVR games. However, when I was in the Oculus Home menu and I selected a game for example Project Cars 2, it worked great and when I quit the game, the Oculus Rift menu still showed a spinning icon like the game is still running. Whenever I tried to "quit app" it still shows the spinning icon. If I try to launch another game it gives me a message to close out the previous app. When trying to hit close from the menu also does not fully close the game. When I go to task manager, it does not show the game running...but the only way for me to run another game is to do a computer restart. If I go through the Steam App in Oculus Rift and quit a game it works fine. Just frustrating that I have to restart the computer sometimes because it does not quit properly. Anyone have a fix or encounter this?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oculus link beta doesn't allow you to use the onboard microphone right? I couldn't get it working.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Oculus link beta doesn't allow you to use the onboard microphone right? I couldn't get it working.
Ahhh so that is why no one could hear me in Poker Stars. I did not know this. I hope they fix this since the software is still in Beta. How is link working for you? So far for me, it has been really good. I had a Rift S as well and the games look almost identical.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh so that is why no one could hear me in Poker Stars. I did not know this. I hope they fix this since the software is still in Beta. How is link working for you? So far for me, it has been really good. I had a Rift S as well and the games look almost identical.
I'm just using a cheap solution but it works nice. Yes games like Vader Immortal virtually look the same (only played two games with it so far) usually I use my index. I need to find the resolution option to supersample.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For people that have played stormland vía revive what settings did you change for the game? I have a 6700k/1080ti combo and everytime I boot it up it's pretty jarring. I dunno if the game itself is that demanding or if it's like that through revive.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
I believe

my buddy stopped over a few weeks back with an Odyssey+. I was impressed and the engadget article last week about the price drop to $229 was enough to get me to jump in.

I am blown away.

I just spent an hour playing beat saber before bed and absolutely love the game so much. Space pirate trainer is also fantastic and catch and release is a nice relaxer when it's all done.

There's obviously shortcomings, and I think that's true of all headsets, but goddamn is the tech impressive. I'll be in on HL:A day one. Think I'll get keep talking and nobody explodes also for friends coming over. Any other killer titles to pick up?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I watched a random old H3VR devlog just now where Anton was showing off one of the first alpha of Take & Hold and the map he showed had a TON of stuff that is not in there anymore...

The map had a ton of verticality with actual floors and vertical tunnels and stuff like that. There was turrets, drones and zombie sosigs and even traps in the hallways...

Now... A lot of these ideas needed to be tweeked for sure and some of them were a bad fit imo and obviously a lot of the stuff in the current itteration of T&H is definitely more polished but I wonder where a lot of those great ideas went...

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Any other killer titles to pick up?
Not really killer apps but if you want to experience what can be done with storytelling in VR (other than having a third person view of scenes and such) I can recommend Batman: Arkham VR, and Westworld: Awakening. Both have game play elements too of course.
Arkham VR is maybe an hour and a half or two hours. Westworld is around 4 hours.
I'd recommend getting them when they're on sale.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe

my buddy stopped over a few weeks back with an Odyssey+. I was impressed and the engadget article last week about the price drop to $229 was enough to get me to jump in.

I am blown away.

I just spent an hour playing beat saber before bed and absolutely love the game so much. Space pirate trainer is also fantastic and catch and release is a nice relaxer when it's all done.

There's obviously shortcomings, and I think that's true of all headsets, but goddamn is the tech impressive. I'll be in on HL:A day one. Think I'll get keep talking and nobody explodes also for friends coming over. Any other killer titles to pick up?

Superhot VR - I'd say it's the other must have in any VR library besides Beat Saber. Focuses on reflexes and it's pretty much like John Wick in VR. Short but highly replayable.

Sariento - Probably the best action game in VR that strictly isn't a shooter. It's incredibly satisfying combat and movement.

Lone Echo/Echo Arena and Combat - Lone Echo is a more story based game that a pretty good looking game and has a pretty nice movement system, the best I've played in VR imo. Arena is the multiplayer component that's like a frisbee sports game, while combat is just a shooter version of the game. You'll need the revive app to play this.

Robo Recall - Another game that you need revive for, it's kinda a wave based shooter that's pretty short but highly replayable. It's one of the earlier notable VR games along with Lone Echo.

Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners - I haven't played this one but the reception on here and everywhere else have been pretty positive. The first big VR game of this year and it's apparently a pretty good zombie game.

Pavlov - its a basic CS/Gmod clone that's probably the most popular VR multiplayer game right now.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
So I watched a random old H3VR devlog just now where Anton was showing off one of the first alpha of Take & Hold and the map he showed had a TON of stuff that is not in there anymore...

The map had a ton of verticality with actual floors and vertical tunnels and stuff like that. There was turrets, drones and zombie sosigs and even traps in the hallways...

Now... A lot of these ideas needed to be tweeked for sure and some of them were a bad fit imo and obviously a lot of the stuff in the current itteration of T&H is definitely more polished but I wonder where a lot of those great ideas went...

I think that version is still in the game, no? There's two old T&H scenes in addition to the regular one.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
So a bit of a repost from the OT however...after a bit of a false start initially (I am having to deal with my own fear of scares / threat in VR games before HL Alyx come out). I am really enjoying Walking Dead saints and sinners.

I am admittedly playing super cautiously however just going through the house in the first mission is really interesting. I never thought I would enjoy picking up salvageable junk as much as I am in this game, simply having to search through cupboards and drawers makes it incredibly immersive.

Would have happily played some more (just fixed the radio) however as I play pretty stationary my legs get rather tired after a while (an hour and a half is more than enough for me in a session).

I kind of wish there was more 'buzz' around the game though as it is really high quality, it's a proper game with many systems and many hours of gameplay and it's got some really good reviews...however I just don't feel like I hear much about it. I really hope it have been successful for the devs as it is exactly what VR is needing.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Not really killer apps but if you want to experience what can be done with storytelling in VR (other than having a third person view of scenes and such) I can recommend Batman: Arkham VR, and Westworld: Awakening. Both have game play elements too of course.
Arkham VR is maybe an hour and a half or two hours. Westworld is around 4 hours.
I'd recommend getting them when they're on sale.
Superhot VR - I'd say it's the other must have in any VR library besides Beat Saber. Focuses on reflexes and it's pretty much like John Wick in VR. Short but highly replayable.

Sariento - Probably the best action game in VR that strictly isn't a shooter. It's incredibly satisfying combat and movement.

Lone Echo/Echo Arena and Combat - Lone Echo is a more story based game that a pretty good looking game and has a pretty nice movement system, the best I've played in VR imo. Arena is the multiplayer component that's like a frisbee sports game, while combat is just a shooter version of the game. You'll need the revive app to play this.

Robo Recall - Another game that you need revive for, it's kinda a wave based shooter that's pretty short but highly replayable. It's one of the earlier notable VR games along with Lone Echo.

Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners - I haven't played this one but the reception on here and everywhere else have been pretty positive. The first big VR game of this year and it's apparently a pretty good zombie game.

Pavlov - its a basic CS/Gmod clone that's probably the most popular VR multiplayer game right now.

thanks for the recommendations!

I've also seen Arizona Sunshine on some most popular lists, thoughts?

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just using a cheap solution but it works nice. Yes games like Vader Immortal virtually look the same (only played two games with it so far) usually I use my index. I need to find the resolution option to supersample.

It's very easy, you just need to find the Oculus Debug tool in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics. Launch the debug tool after opening the Oculus app. Set the pixel per display pixel override to whatever you want your supersampling level to be (I've got it set at 1.2 with a GTX 1080). You can also adjust the distortion curvature and encode resolution width.

It should be noted that whenever you restart your computer, the pixel per display pixel override reverts to 0, so you need to set it every time you restart and launch the Oculus app. I created a desktop shortcut for easy access.

You can find some good recommended settings here. https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-resolution-increase-odt/

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Bleh, I just decided to try playing Boneworks again after stopping on The Streets near launch. I just cannot be bothered to deal with all the bullshit, stacking janky physics boxes to make a ladder just hit my limit on bullshit game design. This plays like some Goat Simulator nonsense. Having that physics body wobble around awkwardly and getting stuck on everything may have been funny when Havoc physics were new but these days I have zero patience for standard videogame jank physics. Even melee feels stupid with that, your body getting awkwardly entangled with enemies and it feels like waggling this golf club with one hand and letting the rubberband physics swing it about is much more effective than actually doing a proper two handed swing.

I'm sure it would get better if I tried to be more accommodating to it and got used to its jank logic but I just don't have the patience for that right now...

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Bleh, I just decided to try playing Boneworks again after stopping on The Streets near launch. I just cannot be bothered to deal with all the bullshit, stacking janky physics boxes to make a ladder just hit my limit on bullshit game design. This plays like some Goat Simulator nonsense. Having that physics body wobble around awkwardly and getting stuck on everything may have been funny when Havoc physics were new but these days I have zero patience for standard videogame jank physics. Even melee feels stupid with that, your body getting awkwardly entangled with enemies and it feels like waggling this golf club with one hand and letting the rubberband physics swing it about is much more effective than actually doing a proper two handed swing.

I'm sure it would get better if I tried to be more accommodating to it and got used to its jank logic but I just don't have the patience for that right now...

Would definitely recommend The Walking Dead Saint's and Sinners if you haven't played it already. It is less 'sandboxy' than Boneworks but I think there is less jank as a result, it still leans into interesting physics interaction with swinging weapons and grappling enemies.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I've tried to get into it at several different times and while the game has some cool mechanincs the physics ultimate destroys it making almost unplayable for me. Hopefully Half Life does it right.