• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Would definitely recommend The Walking Dead Saint's and Sinners if you haven't played it already. It is less 'sandboxy' than Boneworks but I think there is less jank as a result, it still leans into interesting physics interaction with swinging weapons and grappling enemies.
Yeah, I played Boneworks because I had just finished S&S. Everything just feels so much snappier in that and you rarely get your arms stuck on things. Plus of course one of the first things I tried in BW was breaking a bottle into a shiv like in S&S and the bottle just disintegrates into shards instead...

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Bleh, I just decided to try playing Boneworks again after stopping on The Streets near launch. I just cannot be bothered to deal with all the bullshit, stacking janky physics boxes to make a ladder just hit my limit on bullshit game design. This plays like some Goat Simulator nonsense. Having that physics body wobble around awkwardly and getting stuck on everything may have been funny when Havoc physics were new but these days I have zero patience for standard videogame jank physics. Even melee feels stupid with that, your body getting awkwardly entangled with enemies and it feels like waggling this golf club with one hand and letting the rubberband physics swing it about is much more effective than actually doing a proper two handed swing.

I'm sure it would get better if I tried to be more accommodating to it and got used to its jank logic but I just don't have the patience for that right now...

This was one of my most anticipated titles all year. I couldn't wait for it. But I completely agree. I desperately want to like this game but it's just too janky even when you get used to it. This jank coupled with my love affair with the guns of H3VR (which I wrongly assumed would be somewhat similar in Boneworks) just killed it for me.

There's a good game in there somewhere but I haven't been able to find it yet.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So my 4€ Oculus token is only valid until today. Audica or Synth Rider? Synth Rider is half the price, but it looks very similar to Dance Collider. Audica looks cooler but the price is steep for the content IMO (only 10 songs, right?).

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
So my 4€ Oculus token is only valid until today. Audica or Synth Rider? Synth Rider is half the price, but it looks very similar to Dance Collider. Audica looks cooler but the price is steep for the content IMO (only 10 songs, right?).
Actually there are 33 songs included with Audica (vanilla) at the moment. Then a bunch of DLC tracks.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ive been experimenting with super sampling more than normal.

So if I have a Rift and use the Oculus Debug Tool to force supersampling, does this have any effect on Steam VR games at all?

Like if I have the Oculus set to 1.2 and Steam set to 1.2 is my end resolution 1.2 or does one take priority and then multiply the other?

Anyone know about this?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
You guys weren't kidding about H3VR - that thing is stellar, lol. I was literally kneeing on my floor hectically reloarding my M1 Garand while three hotdog men where shooting at me with revolvers and pumpguns. WTF? xD

The weapon handling and attention to detail is stunning. The game is cumbersome at first. You really have to fiddle around with all the options and find your own playstyle. The analogue stick of the Quest is a kinda poor alternative to the touchbuttons it was intended for. But after settling in the shooting and immersion are just so much fun.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
You guys weren't kidding about H3VR - that thing is stellar, lol. I was literally kneeing on my floor hectically reloarding my M1 Garand while three hotdog men where shooting at me with revolvers and pumpguns. WTF? xD

The weapon handling and attention to detail is stunning. The game is cumbersome at first. You really have to fiddle around with all the options and find your own playstyle. The analogue stick of the Quest is a kinda poor alternative to the touchbuttons it was intended for. But after settling in the shooting and immersion are just so much fun.
Yeah h3VR was the one that took me the most time to get into, but once it clicked wow. The weapon reloads and stuff make it hard to get into at first and a lot of things are not explained. I was playing take and hold without knowing how to set ammo as infinite for a week lol. BTW does anyone know how to pull multiple bullets (not in a bullet holder) out of your ammo pack to reload a revolver all at once? I have seen videos where the person pulls out like 6 individual bullets that are in a row and pushes each one in really quick individually.

Edit: found how to do multiple ammo in the belt after i posted this ha, https://youtu.be/AD0Z1QxLhsQ?t=499

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Ive been experimenting with super sampling more than normal.

So if I have a Rift and use the Oculus Debug Tool to force supersampling, does this have any effect on Steam VR games at all?

Like if I have the Oculus set to 1.2 and Steam set to 1.2 is my end resolution 1.2 or does one take priority and then multiply the other?

Anyone know about this?
I don't know but that is something I don't like about Oculus/SteamVR combination or PCVR in general compared to the Plug&Play of the Quest or PlayStationVR.

There are so many layers playing into a game's performance and image quality and nothing is exactly intuitive. There is Oculus Link, then there is SteamVR and you can configure your graphic card as well and then there is the game itself which let's you set parameters. And if you really want to you can adjust some .ini files and/or install mods for the games, too. Peak PC gaming.

On the other hand you have a lot of control over your settings and you might be able to fix or improve problems yourself while on PSVR or Quest you can't do much when you run into errors/problems.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know but that is something I don't like about Oculus/SteamVR combination or PCVR in general compared to the Plug&Play of the Quest or PlayStationVR.

There are so many layers playing into a game's performance and image quality and nothing is exactly intuitive. There is Oculus Link, then there is SteamVR and you can configure your graphic card as well and then there is the game itself which let's you set parameters. And if you really want to you can adjust some .ini files and/or install mods for the games, too. Peak PC gaming.

On the other hand you have a lot of control over your settings and you might be able to fix or improve problems yourself while on PSVR or Quest you can't do much when you run into errors/problems.

If Oculus would write a native OpenVR driver like every other vendor did it would be able to go directly through SteamVR without one of those layers at least. With Vive/Index most of the Steam settings are autodetect including resolution/supersampling per game and based on your system specs.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's true. Kind of like comparing a manual versus automatic transmission - you sacrifice control in the name of ease of use. I my case I'll take that control all day, every day but damn if there aren't times I'm in inner city traffic where simplicity seems appealing.

I've just taken to having all settings at a baseline of 1.0 for IQ and then I tweak settings and keep an eye on my GPU/CPU usage.

It seems that for H3, Oculus Debug Tool forced supersampling has zero effect on IQ or system usage. However using the Steam VR setting I can push my GPU from 25-40% usage at native SS to 60-90% at 2.0 SS.

On the Oculus front, setting in game Asgard's Wrath IQ to 120% (in game max) has less of an effect compared to having it at 100% with the Debug Tool forcing 1.2 SS. This makes me think the in game setting is either dynamic in some way or is not a true 1:1 representation of pixels rendered or both.

At the end of the day, I know what looks good and what settings to play with so it doesn't really matter. I enjoy having control over as much as possible.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else check out the new GTAV REAL VR mod update? It now has proper distortion for all cutscenes so the main campaign is quite playable. It's a blast and has me hoping the person behind this mod takes a crack at using this alternate eye rendering technique for other games (they did one for NOLF 2 previously). RDR2 version when :P

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
Getting my first VR headset today but won't be able to afford any games for a while. Are there any other free VR experiences worth checking out apart from The Lab?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else check out the new GTAV REAL VR mod update? It now has proper distortion for all cutscenes so the main campaign is quite playable. It's a blast and has me hoping the person behind this mod takes a crack at using this alternate eye rendering technique for other games (they did one for NOLF 2 previously). RDR2 version when :P
I'm waiting for the other version that has motion control support.

Getting my first VR headset today but won't be able to afford any games for a while. Are there any other free VR experiences worth checking out apart from The Lab?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Check your existing library too, some games you already own may have VR support in them. What headset are you getting? My Rift came with a bunch of games included.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
So I have a 1070ti. Is that decent enough for VR? I want to get one (maybe) but I don't know how smooth the experience is going to be. Thinking about the Rift S as the likely headset I am gonna get. I just don't know how often I would use it. I mostly want it for Beat Saber and the eventual half life.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I have a 1070ti. Is that decent enough for VR? I want to get one (maybe) but I don't know how smooth the experience is going to be. Thinking about the Rift S as the likely headset I am gonna get. I just don't know how often I would use it. I mostly want it for Beat Saber and the eventual half life.

So a 1070 Ti is going to be fine for the majority of VR titles, especially stuff that's a few years old. Newer stuff like Asgard's Wrath etc. well, your mileage may vary.

Remember that, when shopping for an HMD, you'll need a GPU that can push a high frame rate - higher than you're used to with flat PC games - 60FPS isn't going to cut it.

The Rift S runs at 80hz and the Index runs at 120hz with many other falling between those. If your GPU isn't going to drive these at their native refresh rates, the HMD will halve the frame rate to ensure smoothness. VR at 40-60FPS is not pleasant (though playable) so beat that in mind.

Now as for Beat Saber, you'll be totally fine. Alyx on the other hand, we don't know. I think you'll be okay with a 1070 Ti but will probably have to drop a few settings. However we just don't know yet.

TL;DR - you'll be fine with a 1070 Ti but you should consider upgrading this year if you want to play new games.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
So a 1070 Ti is going to be fine for the majority of VR titles, especially stuff that's a few years old. Newer stuff like Asgard's Wrath etc. well, your mileage may vary.

Remember that, when shopping for an HMD, you'll need a GPU that can push a high frame rate - higher than you're used to with flat PC games - 60FPS isn't going to cut it.

The Rift S runs at 80hz and the Index runs at 120hz with many other falling between those. If your GPU isn't going to drive these at their native refresh rates, the HMD will halve the frame rate to ensure smoothness. VR at 40-60FPS is not pleasant (though playable) so beat that in mind.

Now as for Beat Saber, you'll be totally fine. Alyx on the other hand, we don't know. I think you'll be okay with a 1070 Ti but will probably have to drop a few settings. However we just don't know yet.

TL;DR - you'll be fine with a 1070 Ti but you should consider upgrading this year if you want to play new games.

Awesome, thank you for the input! :] I'll most likely upgrade to the RTX 3xxx whenever they release but until then I am sticking with my 1070 Ti. You took off some of my worries so thanks!

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
With a Rift it doesn't matter as much, the system will interpolate frames if the framerate drops. That interpolation will create some artifacts (e.g. you can see the edges of your hands or held items wobble around when using smooth locomotion) but will cover up dropped frames quite well. Of course if you do something like dial up Asgard's Wrath to Ultra you can overwhelm that system but it should handle any reasonable slowdown. Also it seems like if a game freezes up for too long (e.g. because it handles loading badly) the Oculus firmware will automatically switch to an empty scene with a waiting indicator so your view keeps responding to your head movements.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
You won't be maxing out graphics on most things but you'll be fine. I think a 1060 is about the minimum for most of the heavier games (HL: Alyx's minimum is a 1060). I think a 970 or even a 960 is the minimum for not so heavy games (Beat Saber's minimum is a 960).

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I've hard far less issues in asgard's wrath than most of the people running 2070 and 2080s :P
Aka I haven't had any notable issues with asgard's wrath running on a 1070 and good SSD/processor.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Isn't this a problem? I still haven't installed it and one of the reason I haven't is the whole flickering issues from this technique. Plan on playing on the Quest and half-rate flickering at an already low refresh rate doesn't seem ideal.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this a problem? I still haven't installed it and one of the reason I haven't is the whole flickering issues from this technique. Plan on playing on the Quest and half-rate flickering at an already low refresh rate doesn't seem ideal.

It's certainly an issue if you aren't getting smooth performance, you definitely notice flicker then but thankfully there's three quality presets to choose from in a bat file that automatically adjusts the ini for low medium or high. I don't notice much flicker with the settings I'm using, but it's pretty rough on high on my system. Well worth a try imo.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
What headset are you getting?
It's a Rift S! I'm in love with it already. I actually regret not trying it sooner. Motion sickness was a huge worry of mine but I didn't get any after 2 hours of messing around with it. It's awesome.
Thank you! I'll be checking those out. Just tried Google Earth VR and it was pretty damn cool. God I haven't felt this hyped about something in years.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Since a bunch of free titles have already been listed...

If you've been PC gaming for a while and have been keeping up with various free Steam, Humble Bundle, and Epic PC game giveaways, you may already have some VR-compatible titles in your library such as Race the Sun, SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics, Dirt Rally, Payday 2, and Subnautica.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm really enjoying WD Saints and Sinners overall but I really wish it would at least restore your stamina (and maybe even your health) when you sleep through a night... Seems kinda brutal that it doesn't right now...

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've hard far less issues in asgard's wrath than most of the people running 2070 and 2080s :P
Aka I haven't had any notable issues with asgard's wrath running on a 1070 and good SSD/processor.

Yeah I'm in the same boat although I do have a 1080 Ti. That being said, I've had absolutely no issues with the game since day one. We must just be lucky because so many damn people seem to have issues.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So I'm really enjoying WD Saints and Sinners overall but I really wish it would at least restore your stamina (and maybe even your health) when you sleep through a night... Seems kinda brutal that it doesn't right now...
Eh, your hunger drops so slowly you lose like 50% in a day so one of the discoverable meals will refill it completely and give you a buff for the day, if sleeping restored that you'd practically never need to eat. The standard bandages are really cheap to craft, too.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
I only ever used the stew that restores max stamina and bandages to restore health (and occasional medicine to restore max HP level). This was enough to complete the game.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I only ever used the stew that restores max stamina and bandages to restore health (and occasional medicine to restore max HP level). This was enough to complete the game.
Really? The found recipes for food restore more, give 25% buffs for the whole day and don't cost much more. I even unlocked the final bandage which gives a 100% heal instead of 40% at just a 50% price increase (i.e. 3 of each item instead of 2).

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Can someone help me identify a game I played at a friend's house a year ago?
It was on his PC and I recall that it was a kind of war game that I was viewing over like a board game.

I would move units to position, at one point a mech suit arrived and I was able to shoot from the mech itself.

Sorry so vague.

Old post bump but the game was actually Landfall haha.

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hi people,

i wanted to join the thread since i just orderd a Rift S...

Im looking for short nice expiriences like super hot vr, job simulator and beat saber which are able to knock your socks off.
Games with room scale would also be nice... i like crawling into places and do space exploring.

Games ive already bought are: Moss, Saints and Sinners, and Super Hot VR

You guys have Any suggestgions?

Im very interested in Boneworks

Last edited:

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Grabbed No Man's Sky for cheap and loving it. This is the kind of interaction level you want with a VR game. Like you have this visor scanner and to use it you put your left hand up to your forehead (like you're looking out to something) and press left trigger. Plus you build, fix and mine shit and of course fly around. Flight controls take a bit to get used to but they work. Good stuff overall.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
One of my buddies is still waiting to order the index. I find it nuts that it hasn't been for sale since December 19th. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I ordered it prior.

Anyone have any other recommendations for me game wise? So far I own the following:

Asgard's wrath
Beat saber
Boneworks
TWD S&S
H3VR
Zero caliber
Gorn
The wizards
Hellsplit arena
Until you fall
Pavlov
Onward
Iron wolf
Pistol whip
Karnage Chronicles
VR dungeon Knight

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
One of my buddies is still waiting to order the index. I find it nuts that it hasn't been for sale since December 19th. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I ordered it prior.

Anyone have any other recommendations for me game wise? So far I own the following:

Asgard's wrath
Beat saber
Boneworks
TWD S&S
H3VR
Zero caliber
Gorn
The wizards
Hellsplit arena
Until you fall
Pavlov
Onward
Iron wolf
Pistol whip
Karnage Chronicles
VR dungeon Knight

Some of my favorites off the top of my head that you haven't mentioned:

Robo Recall (Action shooter, physics, graphics)
PokerStars VR (free, online poker with funny props/toys on the side)
Space Pirate Trainer (Galaga meets fps wave shooter)
Lone Echo/Echo Arena (zero-g movement in space, graphics, cool campaign)
Dirt Rally (realistic rally racing)
Bigscreen (free, watch movies or share desktop with randoms/friends)
Google Earth VR (free, Google Earth but VR)
Rez Infinite (visuals, music)
No Man's Sky (No Man's Sky but VR)
Elite Dangerous (Elite Dangerous but VR)
Eleven Table Tennis (realistic ping pong)
Contractors (multiplayer shooter like Pavlov/Onward but better imo, smaller population though)

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Some of my favorites off the top of my head that you haven't mentioned:

Robo Recall (Action shooter, physics, graphics)
PokerStars VR (free, online poker with funny props/toys on the side)
Space Pirate Trainer (Galaga meets fps wave shooter)
Lone Echo/Echo Arena (zero-g movement in space, graphics, cool campaign)
Dirt Rally (realistic rally racing)
Bigscreen (free, watch movies or share desktop with randoms/friends)
Google Earth VR (free, Google Earth but VR)
Rez Infinite (visuals, music)
No Man's Sky (No Man's Sky but VR)
Elite Dangerous (Elite Dangerous but VR)
Eleven Table Tennis (realistic ping pong)
Contractors (multiplayer shooter like Pavlov/Onward but better imo, smaller population though)

Awesome, I'll have to check some of those out. Contractors sound particularly interesting. If I own NMS is VR a separate game or do I own that as well?

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Awesome, I'll have to check some of those out. Contractors sound particularly interesting. If I own NMS is VR a separate game or do I own that as well?

If you own NMS you're good; if you have your headset plugged in it should ask you if you want to play standard or VR version when you hit play. You may have to turn down the settngs on that one depending on your rig because it's not well optimized.

Contractors is awesome, it's somewhere between the arcadeyness of Pavlov and the mil-sim of Onward. The main gametype "control" has respawns and plays great. The gunplay and graphics are better than both others, imo (although the sound is sort of muted on some of the weapons). Note of warning though: there are usually only 20-30 people playing, and a lot of them are well-seasoned. I really wish this game got more recognition.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Asgard's wrath
Beat saber
Boneworks
TWD S&S
H3VR
Zero caliber
Gorn
The wizards
Hellsplit arena
Until you fall
Pavlov
Onward
Iron wolf
Pistol whip
Karnage Chronicles
VR dungeon Knight

With those titles under your belt, Blade & Sorcery seems like a no-brainer.

Duck Season and A Fisherman's Tale are also definitely worth checking out for linear single-player stories.