• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
By the time I found a better recipe I almost finished the game. Turns out I played it "too fast". This was my experience:
I did the same thing, the way the game tells you that supplies are dwindling and the dead are growing in number coupled with the main narrative
where the guy in the bunker is going to drown if you don't help him
made me think that I needed to get it finished as quick as possible.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Audica is another stellar rythm game and I didn't even like rythm games before VR. Totally worth the asking price. I am having so much fun with Audica, Beat Saber and Dance Collider. These three compliment each other perfectly in how similar but also different they are. Any other stellar music games like those three? I also loved Tumper on PSVR, but it's very different from those three.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
One of my buddies is still waiting to order the index. I find it nuts that it hasn't been for sale since December 19th. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I ordered it prior.

Anyone have any other recommendations for me game wise? So far I own the following:

Asgard's wrath
Beat saber
Boneworks
TWD S&S
H3VR
Zero caliber
Gorn
The wizards
Hellsplit arena
Until you fall
Pavlov
Onward
Iron wolf
Pistol whip
Karnage Chronicles
VR dungeon Knight
Eleven Table Tennis and SuperHot come to my mind at a glance

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Audica is another stellar rythm game and I didn't even like rythm games before VR. Totally worth the asking price. I am having so much fun with Audica, Beat Saber and Dance Collider. These three compliment each other perfectly in how similar but also different they are. Any other stellar music games like those three? I also loved Tumper on PSVR, but it's very different from those three.
I'm enjoying Audio Trip which is more dancing focused like Dance Collider. Audioshield is still a pretty good zen level rhythm game if you have a lot of local music on your computer (since all the tracks are procedurally generated). Airtone is a good hardcore Japanese one and for controller based rhythm games there's of course Thumper which imo is best played in VR.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying Audio Trip which is more dancing focused like Dance Collider. Audioshield is still a pretty good zen level rhythm game if you have a lot of local music on your computer (since all the tracks are procedurally generated). Airtone is a good hardcore Japanese one and for controller based rhythm games there's of course Thumper which imo is best played in VR.
Audio Trip looks like what I want. Wishlisted. I will also get Synth Riders eventually. Thanks!

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hi people,

i wanted to join the thread since i just orderd a Rift S...

Im looking for short nice expiriences like super hot vr, job simulator and beat saber which are able to knock your socks off.
Games with room scale would also be nice... i like crawling into places and do space exploring.

Games ive already bought are: Moss, Saints and Sinners, and Super Hot VR

You guys have Any suggestgions?

Im very interested in Boneworks

Any Ideas?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Dunno, the VR space is so small that all the good games get listed quickly. Also "roomscale" tends to be used strangely, some seem to consider a game roomscale when you're standing up and crouching down when the term was supposed to mean walking around within a certain area.

Tea for God is a case of a VERY room scale game which is why I can't give you first hand information about it since my setup is a front facing only Rift CV1 setup where I stand and use artificial rotation and movement. It's a non-euclidean roguelite where you physically walk around in your playspace and the path twists and turns upon itself so you never leave the limits of your play area despite there being no artificial locomotion.

FavoriteImpressionableAdder-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Boneworks is basically opposite of "short nice experiences," but it's very unique. When it all comes together it's an amazing game but it seems to get in its own way far more often than it works as intended.

Some people around here love it though.

Yeah... it doesnt only have to be short expiriences... Boneworks definatly is on my List! I heard that there are some controller tracking issues with the Oculus ones though. Im still going to get it though.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Yeah... it doesnt only have to be short expiriences... Boneworks definatly is on my List! I heard that there are some controller tracking issues with the Oculus ones though. Im still going to get it though.

For what it's worth, I have a Rift S and the controllers worked without issue in Boneworks. If you're into what VR can do as a medium the game is definitely pushing boundaries and it's worth picking up. I don't regret buying it but I want to love it and I just can't.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I got myself one of those rubber face gasket for my Oculus Quest to put over the fabric cushion built in.

I had to manually trim the nose part with cisors cause it was squeezing my nose and while it obviously help for cleaning the sweat off after a session versus the cushion that is just soaking up all the sweat like a sponge... I feel the rubber is actually making me sweat a lot more than the fabric to begin with lol.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
(copy pasting a post I made in another thread)

Man... VTOL VR is seriously my biggest VR surprise since I got my Oculus headset... I knew nothing about that game before and I fucking love it... It has just the right balance of realism/simulation and ease of use.

Basically you feel like you're playing DCS in VR but you don't need to take 20 pages of notes just to start the aircraft.

It's still in early access so it's still a bit rough but super promising. The dev is also super active on his discord fixing bugs within hours of being found.

Oh and the wingmen voiceovers are (I hope) placeholders and fucking hilarious... I'm sure one of my wingman is like 12 years old haha

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Vader Immortal is really nice from what I've played (mid Episode 2). Especially when you like Star Wars.

I also heard good things about Stormlands from Insomniac, but I didn't play that one yet.

Tried Vader Immortal on my friends Quest and it was a little boring sitting through all the long sequences and so on... Dont know if thats for me. The time i am under the glasses i want there to be direct interacting and minimal sitting through story sequences because i usually play for short sessions.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Tried Vader Immortal on my friends Quest and it was a little boring sitting through all the long sequences and so on... Dont know if thats for me. The time i am under the glasses i want there to be direct interacting and minimal sitting through story sequences because i usually play for short sessions.
I see. Did you consider rythm games? I usually don't like the genre but everything changed in VR for me. Beat Saber, Audica, Thumper and Dance Collider are all fantastic.

If you want some shooting and fighting action I recommend Battlewake and Raw Data. The one is basically AssCreed ship battles in VR but even more arcadey and the other is a really well made wave shooter with great graphics and weapon options (bow, shotgun, katana, dual pistols).

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Did you try the training room mode where you go through waves of drones with a lightsaber?

1 gift from Charles Alan Ratliff

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from VirtuaModel VirtuaModel!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Cosmic Trip - Won by Rex_DX Rex_DX (10 entries)

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck... I already have Moss and Superhot... I am midly interested in the rest and decided I would grab it for the 11$ CAD average it was at the time I posted the link in here... Then I got distracted by work stuff and the average is now up to 17$ CAD.... Meh... A bit to expensive for games I will most likely never actually play lol

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Would be interesting if anyone here has success with Cosmic Trip, I always get overwhelmed rather quickly.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else took a severe performance hit after upgrading the Oculus Quest and Link Software/Firmware? Only tried Skyrim but that went from almost flawless to unplayable. Especially inside of buildings (which is strange) ... Really not in the mood to figure out why now but maybe a simple restart fixes my problem.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else took a severe performance hit after upgrading the Oculus Quest and Link Software/Firmware? Only tried Skyrim but that went from almost flawless to unplayable. Especially inside of buildings (which is strange) ... Really not in the mood to figure out why now but maybe a simple restart fixes my problem.
So... one of my friends has been having an issue for about 2 weeks, another one since he connected his quest yesterday.
Both of them are running the most recent nvidia driver.

I haven't had issues, but I've been refusing to update my nvidia drivers this year because they broke beat saber for me last year and it took me hours to fix...

so my running theory is if you have both the oculus software and the most recent or the nvidia driver from last month there is something going on, but the one I'm on seems alright after you tweek their enhancement softward for games (the issue with beat saber was nvida for some reason decided to optimize my game to 2 times the resolution my headset could even handle which caused the game to lag)

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So... one of my friends has been having an issue for about 2 weeks, another one since he connected his quest yesterday.
Both of them are running the most recent nvidia driver.

I haven't had issues, but I've been refusing to update my nvidia drivers this year because they broke beat saber for me last year and it took me hours to fix...

so my running theory is if you have both the oculus software and the most recent or the nvidia driver from last month there is something going on, but the one I'm on seems alright after you tweek their enhancement softward for games (the issue with beat saber was nvida for some reason decided to optimize my game to 2 times the resolution my headset could even handle which caused the game to lag)
So after the restart I played Skyrim for like 15 minutes without problems, then I entered a building and the game ran at like 10-20 FPS per second. I left the building and it became worse and worse until it was almost stuck. I feel like this is a problem with fires in buildings, but why does the effect persist when leaving the building? Problalby another great feature of the Skyrim engine ;)

I also tried Dance Collider and H3VR, both ran fine. So it seems like a Skyrim VR problem with the new Oculus updates. But like I said I don't have the patience right now to fix that shit. But I really wanted to play some Skyrim now :-/ Back to Anno 1800 it is then.
This should be fine on my end. I don't have GeForce Experience activated for Skyrim VR. And yeah it wants so supersample the game by 2x which tanks my performance as well. I set manual values and it worked great before the patch. But there is also a new Nvidia driver ready, I might install that one tomorrow.

EDIT: And ow, the Quest mic still doesn't work with Oculus Link :(

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody has experience with the Oculus Quest and the Virtual Desktop app? How is it compared to the Oculus Link?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So after the restart I played Skyrim for like 15 minutes without problems, then I entered a building and the game ran at like 10-20 FPS per second. I left the building and it became worse and worse until it was almost stuck. I feel like this is a problem with fires in buildings, but why does the effect persist when leaving the building? Problalby another great feature of the Skyrim engine ;)

I also tried Dance Collider and H3VR, both ran fine. So it seems like a Skyrim VR problem with the new Oculus updates. But like I said I don't have the patience right now to fix that shit. But I really wanted to play some Skyrim now :-/ Back to Anno 1800 it is then.
This should be fine on my end. I don't have GeForce Experience activated for Skyrim VR. And yeah it wants so supersample the game by 2x which tanks my performance as well. I set manual values and it worked great before the patch. But there is also a new Nvidia driver ready, I might install that one tomorrow.

EDIT: And ow, the Quest mic still doesn't work with Oculus Link :(

Are you playing modded Skyrim by any chance?

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
VR Bundle on Humble Bundle

www.humblebundle.com

Humble VR Bundle

There’s nothing virtual about this reality. Explore a whole new world in our newest bundle!

Some great games in there

I'm definitely getting this bundle, but it sucks that the only two games I own from it are the two games in the $15 tier. So I'll need to spend $14 for the rest, heh. Fortunately, I have every single game besides Smashbox Arena on my wishlist.

I'll probably just get the $15 tier and try to trade those two games or give them away.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely getting this bundle, but it sucks that the only two games I own from it are the two games in the $15 tier. So I'll need to spend $14 for the rest, heh. Fortunately, I have every single game besides Smashbox Arena on my wishlist.

I'll probably just get the $15 tier and try to trade those two games or give them away.
Yeah I have the same issue... Actually getting the full price and selling the other two is not a bad idea!

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Moss is neat if you want a simple top down platformer, kinda like Mario 3d Land or something but a bit slower paced and more story driven. I don't feel it really used the VR medium much at all though. It's a solid game but the VR aspects are mostly for the visual experience.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I still think Moss is quite cute and the VR is pretty decently used for a more sit down / not moving experience. It really feels like playing on a diorama. The only problem i had was the ending. Also the MC is cute AF.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
When it all comes together it's an amazing game but it seems to get in its own way far more often than it works as intended.

Some people around here love it though.
I think the game would be substantially better if your full body wasn't simulated. It's basically like controlling one of those weeble wobble toys. I get that they're trying to make it more immersive, but I just found it to be a detriment most of the time than actually adding anything.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody has experience with the Oculus Quest and the Virtual Desktop app? How is it compared to the Oculus Link?
I've used both and at least on my set up the Virtual desktop app is solid. For a lot of my games it's perfectly fine. It adds a little bit of lag but its only really an issue on games with tiny windows of correct timing such as beat saber on harder difficulties.
I play until you fall via virtual desktop just fine as well as some other games.

that being said the official link cable charges your quest while playing and the link in general reduces power draw since the system isn't running the game so it's great for longer sessions. Something like Beat Saber is likely better to get natively on the quest anyway especially if you are interested in 360 levels. Though adding more songs on the PC version is much easier. And since beat saber has been updating a lot recently fixing your mods with the least amount of effort is nice. But in general I still mostly just play on my quest natively and just update every few months lol.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
I've had my Rift S for nearly a week now and man it's been a trip. Even my family is having a blast with it. I still don't think I've fully wrapped my head around how much of a game changer this is. Each session feels completely surreal. I need to give a huge thanks to Rex_DX for hooking me up with Superhot and The Walking Dead too. Dude saw I couldn't afford to pick up any games at the moment and reached out to me on here. It seriously took me by surprise and I truly can't thank him enough. It honestly made my entire month.

For real, going into Superhot for the first time was like a dream come true. It's the fastest I've ever fallen in love with a game. Max Payne is one my favorite franchises ever, so I had the biggest shit eating grin on my face grabbing two guns for the first time. Just being able to physically go into cover and throw myself to the ground felt revolutionary. I'm not gonna lie I started blasting Tears by Health at one point. It was absolutely one of the coolest gaming experiences of my life. Had a really funny moment where my sister nearly threw her headset off in panic when she turned and saw a dude coming to punch her.

I haven't gotten too far on The Walking Dead just yet, but I'm digging it a lot so far. I was actually in disbelief at how clever the UI was designed. The way your weapon selection and inventory system is set up could not be more immersive. It feels so natural being able to toss items over my back or into a holster. Literally just reloading a pistol is the coolest shit ever. At one point I grabbed a glass bottle and instinctively broke it against a wall to use as a weapon and was taken aback to see it actually worked. It's insane. I did not expect that level of detail.

The next game I tried was Rec Room. I heard it mentioned on here and honestly wasn't expecting much, but jesus christ I was wrong. It's fun as hell. It was my first multiplayer VR experience and I was laughing like an idiot. There was something incredibly heartwarming about knowing everyone else was standing there with a headset on too. I couldn't get over how cool it was just being able to wave at others during matches. And everyone on there just seemed ridiculously chill.

I'm sorry for the half-assed write up but man it's the kind of thing you desperately feel like telling everyone about. These past couple nights I've found myself waking up super early cause I can't wait to hop on Superhot for a quick session. I legitimately haven't felt this excited about gaming since I was a kid. And it blows my mind to think there's still people out there who dismiss VR as a mere gimmick. Like I can't imagine how stale a non-vr Half-Life would be at this point. Valve absolutely made the right decision in pushing for it. I'm more than ready to see how far they can take this because it really is the future. This was easily one of the best purchase decisions I've ever made and I'm kicking myself for not trying it sooner.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the game would be substantially better if your full body wasn't simulated. It's basically like controlling one of those weeble wobble toys. I get that they're trying to make it more immersive, but I just found it to be a detriment most of the time than actually adding anything.

I agree. Although I try to picture what the game would be like without a physical body and ... I think it would be fine? I mean the whole physics sandbox was what the devs were going for, and if that's the artistic direction they want then who am I to judge? But I think the game would be far more enjoyable if only your hands had physics.

I feel like I mention H3VR like every other post I make in this thread, so I'm sorry if I sound like I'm shilling for that game (I only kind of am - it's awesome!) but I like how that game implements physics. Basically if you're holding an item or weapon, it has full physics and will interact with the environment, but say, the billy club in your waist band wont get stuck on walls until you grab it and hold it - hope that makes sense. It would really tighten up the way Boneworks plays.

I also l can't stop thinking of Boneworks as "Weeble-wobble Simulator: 2019" now thanks to your post.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Stormlands is on sale on the Oculus Store but I don't think that 23% off is enough for me to jump on it quite yet...

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I've run into this issue where it seems like once I've encountered a burst of poor performance then it bogs down the rest of my session.

It always seems to fix itself if I exit and restart the game. Not an ideal fix but it works.
Not for me. As soon as I enter a room with a fire it kills the performance and it gets worse until the game pretty much crashes. I will try some graphic setting. Gotta love some pc gaming after work... :/

Edit: Setting Supersample to 0 ingame fixed it. Game looks a bit worse now but at least I can play.

Edit2: Set Supersamling to 1.25 - works. Fuck Gamebryo I guess, lol.

Last edited:

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Stormlands is on sale on the Oculus Store but I don't think that 23% off is enough for me to jump on it quite yet...

It's one of my most regrettable full price purchases thus far, and I've had my Rift CV1 since near launch. Granted I'm pretty careful what I buy, especially at full price. Going back to old posts I was even pretty doubtful about the game leading up to launch, but the fact that it was Insomniac + movement focused in an "open world" eventually got to me.

Don't get me wrong, the traversal mechanics are really amazing and the upgrade modules are decent, but that's about it. Story is super short, the world is not that interesting (even though it looks pretty nice), combat/gunplay is average, AI is dumb, and there's nothing interesting to keep you hooked for very long after the story is over. I probably put 6--8 hours in total. If you can get it for under 10 or 15 bucks I'd say it's worth it though.

I really don't get why they went with a procedural world, and while I think the on-land traversal (climbing, gliding) is cool, the cloud surfing between areas is not great. I would have much preferred the whole thing to be one big land mass that was uniquely designed.

Last edited: