• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
That's a very well written article. Hard to disagree with several of the points written in it.

I appreciate how the goalposts have moved from "Epic is going to take over the game store space due to Valve's complacency" to "Well Epic is responsible for all the advancements Steam's made recently so yay".

Pretty much nobody made that point that EGS would 'take over'. These 'bad faith' takes are hilarious.

The article seems in line with what many have said all along: competition is good.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Like I said earlier, competition from many storefronts. Epic is just the latest one.

Valve bought Campo Santo... because of competition from say GoG and Origin? What??

Or maybe Valve saw talent in that team after releasing the critically acclaimed Firewatch which would have been the most likely reason...

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
The article seems in line with what many have said all along: competition is good.
Can we please stop pretending that Epic invented competing with Valve?

Shit is annoying as fuck at this point.

We get enough of that with Tim Sweeney pretending the "new multi-store world" is somehow due to EGS, when Epic is merely one of the latest (and one of the least impressive) competitors in the PC games market.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Can we please stop pretending that Epic invented competing with Valve?

Shit is annoying as fuck at this point.

I suggest you re-read what I posted and respond according to the contents vs whatever arguments you're making up.

Do you have articles to share from publications that state that EGS would lead to Steam being dethroned ?

We get enough of that with Tim Sweeney pretending the "new multi-store world" is somehow due to EGS, when Epic is merely one of the latest (and one of the least impressive) competitors in the PC games market.

Putting Sweeney's ludicrous claims aside, It's a reasonable argument to make that EGS has put up a more effective fight than most other would-be Steam rivals.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Can we finally get journalists to reach anonymous sources to reveal sales splits between stores for games that launched on EGS and Steam? Also for EGS and Uplay/RGL. You know, the one actual data that can show how successful the EGS initiative has been? Instead of going around in circles and laying assumptions on top of assumptions.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
That really was bizarre. It was utterly unprompted:

It is extremely disappointing that someone of Schreier's repute, who's written numerous articles and even a book on the nature of crunch in the industry, wouldn't re-evaluate or at least put aside their bias when commenting on a company using a portion of its revenue to treat its employees like actual human beings.

It's one thing about him I just do not get.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm it's full of assumptions, strange conclusions and even mistakes.

There is so much stuff that needs correction in here, pointing everything out and correcting it would make for an article larger than the original one. This tells me everything I need to know about the motivation for this enthusiastic opinion. Because this thing isn't even labeled as an article, it is an opinion. Articles are non fictional ;)

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Valve bought Campo Santo... because of competition from say GoG and Origin? What??

Or maybe Valve saw talent in that team after releasing the critically acclaimed Firewatch which would have been the most likely reason...
Both obviously. But I am sure they wanted more developers. Especially with the need to push VR and Facebook pushing their store.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I suggest you re-read what I posted and respond according to the contents vs whatever arguments you're making up.

Do you have articles to share from publications that state that EGS would lead to Steam being dethroned ?

Putting Sweeney's ludicrous claims aside, It's a reasonable argument to make that EGS has put up a more effective fight than most other would-be Steam rivals.

This competition argument is nonsense. What did EGS mean for the average steam consumer? There were some games that were delayed 6-12 months on Steam. How does that benefit the consumer? EGS giving free games doesn't help make steam better. EGS paying games to not come to steam doesn't make steam better. Steam is so obnoxiously far ahead of EGS on basically every single thing that there is no real way EGS can apply pressure to it.

Seriously, how has this "competition" made PC gaming measurably better?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This competition argument is nonsense. What did EGS mean for the average steam consumer? There were some games that were delayed 6-12 months on Steam. How does that benefit the consumer? EGS giving free games doesn't help make steam better. EGS paying games to not come to steam doesn't make steam better. Steam is so obnoxiously far ahead of EGS on basically every single thing that there is no real way EGS can apply pressure to it.

this man understands.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
I fail to see the special thing Epic has done that made pc gaming better. Buying in exclusivity for games that would have released on pc anyway is not a big deal, imo. Stuff like gog was "revolutionary"/a good thing. Can't say the same about epic.

Jun 26, 2018

Has it really though? As a year has passed we're going to see more and more of the "exclusives" releasing on steam, which would almost negate whatever losses they've had. Although I'm wondering if the losses they've had due to EGS's "competition" even registers as a blip on Steam's overall profits in the first place.

I honestly see something like Game Pass as a bigger competitor/threat to Steam than anything else...

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018

Thank you.gif

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Epic's biggest 'success' is that their business strategy managed to drive a wedge between developers and customers.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, moneyhating for exclusives from other companies is a garbage practice (I don't mind Epic only selling their own games on EGS).

All EGS has done for me is delay my purchase on some games since I don't want to buy games on a launcher that has such weak features compared to Steam. Also, I don't really care to have money go to Tencent, an arm of the Chinese Communist Party.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
People are fascinating in a way. Some people can tell you right in the eyes that "Valve did all these stuff in less than a year thanks to Epic" and at the same time tell you "Epic cant have a storefront up to 2009 standards because it takes time to make features".

So if I get it right:
-Epic needs a decade to implement basic standard stuff.
-Valve developped a new library, streaming, coop remote play, a new AAA VR Half Life game all under a year thanks to Epic.

The shilling is strong.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
People are fascinating in a way. Some people can tell you right in the eyes that "Valve did all these stuff in less than a year thanks to Epic" and at the same time tell you "Epic cant have a storefront up to 2009 standards because it takes time to make features".

So if I get it right:
-Epic needs a decade to implement basic standard stuff.
-Valve developped a new library, streaming, coop remote play, a new AAA VR Half Life game all under a year thanks to Epic.

The shilling is strong.

One of my favorite bits is how Halo on Steam is because of EGS somehow instead of Microsoft releazing they are leaving money on the table because some people are never going to buy an Xbox or use Microsoft's own online store that has tons of issues.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Guess it really depends what you're in it for. I already owned about 95% of the scraps Epic handed out, so I was not particularly interested to begin with. The exclusivity thing was just a nuisance. Good on the devs for getting paid, but not good for me. Haven't bought a single game there. Haven't logged in for months.

What did happen this year is that I started buying a lot more on GOG (from like 1 game per year on avg to 10+), because I like GOG Galaxy 2. It provides an added value compared to other software/launchers/platforms. Small things like that are more valuable to me than getting to play some game a year early. So until Epic starts competing for features, them buying exclusivity is not gonna be very compelling to me. I'm of course an edge case in all likelihood.

I'm sure the free games bait worked on many others. Whether they bought anything... I wonder. Converting players who've come to expect free is probably not the easiest task. Those who already buy games regularly are probably there for the exclusivity. But the Epic launcher is so functionally barebones that it seems like a use it once for this game kind of thing, until the next exclusive rolls around.

Last edited:

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I've had absolutely no issues with the epic launcher.

Competition is good for us all.
It's amazing how often this completely vapid remark pops up about the EGS.

"It downloads the game."
"I will ignore the countless others that do have issues."
And then capped off with the ubiquitous, "Coooompetition."

Yeah, your know what? Competition is good! EGS doesn't offer any of it though.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
the only thing the EGS truly achieved was allow companies like ubisoft and rockstar to push their own launchers harder than ever.
They're laughing their way to the bank.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
It seems that gaming "journalists" really know what do they have to do to get some clics.

the only thing the EGS truly achieved was allow companies like ubisoft and rockstar to push their own launchers harder than ever.
They're laughing their way to the bank.

A lot of us called this was going to happen before Ubisoft's numbers confirmed it. And that Ubisoft was smart for doing it if they wanted to drive their own sales up in addition to the big check.

Last edited:

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
It seems that gaming "journalists" really how what do they have to do to get some clics.

A lot of us called this was going to happen before Ubisoft's numbers confirmed it.

It honestly seems that outrage clicks are what's driving these vapid and non-sensical takes. From Kotaku to PCgamer.

Despite being repeatedly corrected on misinformation and outright lies, they'll just conveniently ignore and continue to spew utter nonsense. Hope the ad revenue was worth the perpetuation of stupidity.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's amazing how often this completely vapid remark pops up about the EGS.

"It downloads the game."
"I will ignore the countless others that do have issues."
And then capped off with the ubiquitous, "Coooompetition."

Yeah, your know what? Competition is good! EGS doesn't offer any of it though.

I didn't know people were having awful issues with the epic store. I cant say it's something I've searched for because for me it's done the job of being a window I click play on and the game boots.

Same for origin etc.

I've used steam since it came out and I remember the hate that platform got fir the first few years but I never had issues, really. I love steam and it is my goto platform on PC.

I'm not saying epic is perfect, far from it but it's not been too bad for me personally and if anything I do believe that it will push valve to improve steam at a greater tick rate than they would normally.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
What does purchasing Campo Santos has to do with the other storefronts? You saying they don't acquire any staffers when they first launch Steam and before any competitors appear?
I think its obvious that more competition for content leads to needing more original content to differentiate yourself.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually argue to the contrary. EGS has made PC gaming significantly worse and more fragmented.

I'm not opposed to actual competition to Steam and Epic's free games are good, but the exclusives are taking choice away from people and balkanising a platform that has traditionally been open. I'd have actually bought some games on EGS by now if they hadn't gone down the exclusivity path, but it just makes me not want to support developers who treat their potential customers (and crowdfunding backers) like garbage.

Players have been worse off since Epic decided they wanted to monopolise the PC platform, having access to fewer features in their games and a decrease in accessibility for people in certain countries or with certain setups such as Big Picture or In-Home Streaming, or those who rely on Steam Input to map customised controllers to their games for disability reasons.

And then there's the inevitable uptick in piracy as the quality of the service decreases. We've all seen what happened when every corp under the sun wanted their own Netflix with exclusives - PC gaming is going to find itself in a similar rut in the future if Epic carries on.

Overall, the whole endeavour has been a diasaster for anyone who wants a healthy PC platform.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
I didn't know people were having awful issues with the epic store. I cant say it's something I've searched for because for me it's done the job of being a window I click play on and the game boots.

Same for origin etc.

I've used steam since it came out and I remember the hate that platform got fir the first few years but I never had issues, really. I love steam and it is my goto platform on PC.

I'm not saying epic is perfect, far from it but it's not been too bad for me personally and if anything I do believe that it will push valve to improve steam at a greater tick rate than they would normally.
2018 called, they want their post back

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Gaming journalism at its finest, nothing but ass pulls and guesses presented as fact. Nice.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, he has lost all my respect this year.
He seems to have obvious blindspots (that being the whole of PC gaming) but instead of acknowledging that, he just chooses to stay ignorant, discredit any criticism as a "hate group" and seemingly can't stop himself from chiming in with nonsensical takes.

Did we ever get any kind of explanation how a company treating its employees well is somehow bad for the industry?

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Epic have basically killed crowdfunding this year with their shitty practices.

That sure as shit isn't good for PC gaming

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The benefit is free games for EGS users? Yay. Valve had Steam UI updates planned and Half-Life: Alyx in the works long before EGS was in the picture. EGS still behind on their roadmap for their store. I would call GoG more of a rival than EGS to Steam.