• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the Hagerty pricing partnership is one aspect that they've been open about since the beginning if I'm not mistaken. We knew prices would fluctuate eventually based on real world pricing. Which means eventually, they should come back down. The difference in price from 18.5 to 19.4 can be made up in one race..
I thought I was crazy trying to remember this. Let's see how this plays out.

OP
OP
CassiusClay99

CassiusClay99

Oct 28, 2017
Some cars have gone down in price as well though? It's not really that predatory if prices are going both ways

Not that I know of. AND this is the trap mate, they will up the most wanted cars...and MAYBE down the other ones...just to be able to say that it's balanced.

The only goal is to push MTX. There is no generosity or fun implied.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Ah yes, PD did say they were gonna do dynamic pricing based on Hagerty insurance, i.e if the value changes in real life so will it in the game.

Which is a fucking stupid decision then and it is now.

OP
OP
CassiusClay99

CassiusClay99

Oct 28, 2017
It really isnt hard to get tons of cards really easily and it is very easy to earn an extra 900k if you really need this car. Sometimes it seems people get upset the game wants you to play it to earn things. If you dont like playing the game the prices wont matter and you should maybe stop playing it.

And selling cars is coming so complaining about that is pointless, it wont make it come faster.

Come on mate... don't tell me you don't see a pattern here.

The game grossly pushes you towards MTX... when you already payed it 80 bucks.

How can you defend that?

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I think about buying this game, I remember the gross economy and microtransactions and move on. Despite what it may give you as incentives, the game looks predatory

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about these "fluctuating economies" stuff is that, who does it benefit? It doesn't benefit the players as the grind only increases and gets worse, whereas only the publisher, developer and car brands benefit.

If it was something like "These are new cars that will be hard to get" and kept all the other game pricing stuff the same (Or had some new, good race challenges to help things along) it would be a lot more reasonable for players to go through. The only reason they're going through with this now is because they have a captive audience, but that audience can go elsewhere very quickly if a competitor got enough interest and goodwill.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I've mostly been playing the Cafe and Missions but will be moving onto car collection soon. Is the game about to become sour for me?

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what economy fluctuates costs to the point of multiplying by 20 over the course of a day. Is GT7 set in a civil war?

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
The thing about these "fluctuating economies" stuff is that, who does it benefit? It doesn't benefit the players as the grind only increases and gets worse, whereas only the publisher, developer and car brands benefit.

If it was something like "These are new cars that will be hard to get" and kept all the other game pricing stuff the same (Or had some new, good race challenges to help things along) it would be a lot more reasonable for players to go through. The only reason they're going through with this now is because they have a captive audience, but that audience can go elsewhere very quickly if a competitor got enough interest and goodwill.
I wouldn't actually mind the fluctuating prices if the net changes were roughly equal, I'm in the minority here but I think it's a pretty neat idea especially since most of the fluctuations are not a large difference, it would simulate an actual market and since GT is a hard core sim anyway it'd just add to that aspect

I'm not sure what economy fluctuates costs to the point of multiplying by 20 over the course of a day. Is GT7 set in a civil war?
The 20x is from GT Sport to the current GT7 update

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how many cars, especially the top of the line ones, you want.
Top of the line is such a weird phrase to use here. Top of the line cars are 450k-1mil. The 10+million credit floaty fuckbuckets from 1930-1960 don't warrant the words "top of the line" in any way but they're fun in their own right.

Matais92

Banned
Jul 8, 2020

How can you defend that?

Ive played the game for many many hours and have hundreds of cards without ever thinking of an mtx and this 900k can be made in what, 40 minutes? It's very easy to get credits and cars now.

Also prices have gone down on cars, its the whole point of the Hagerty thing

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They probably thought no one would kick off and did it.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
10-12 Sony GaaS games by 2025. We can expect that at least some of them will be like this. Guess they should've bought Bungie early.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, Im super turned off by the so called in game economics. Its sad since I almost never buy racing games. I'll still have GT4 to remind of the good ol days. Play game, win cars. The end.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
It's unfortunate what they're doing to this game. I was waiting till a lot of things got ironed out in the game before I got it, but at this rate I might never pick it up.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017

How can you defend that?
But who really cares if some gamer pays 80 for a games then turn around and buy mtx on top of that?
It don't impact my pocket or yours and it certainly dont ruin the game. You have a coice you can take the easy way or you can actually play the game until you get the cars you want.
And this discussion only seem to come up when it comes to the F1, the most demanded car in the game, seems the economy is working as intended.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Welp, hate that my suspicions were right not to trust them backtracking on the backlash.
At this rate they're gonna ask us to take insurance out on these cars lol I don't quite get how basing prices on real life markets helps the player in any way. Was such a weird decision.
I was gonna say don't give them any ideas, but it wouldn't surprise me if they have this or something similar in the works.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
So when they implement selling cars, I can make profit by selling my F1 '94? That's really nice.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Tying in-game prices to Hagerty valuations was always a bit silly, but for people saying we've known about this all along and it hasn't been a secret, this might just be the gap between knowing in the abstract that car prices in-game may be tied to real-world value and will fluctuate over time, and seeing that actually happen in practice.

I don't have the foggiest idea what the hell a Ferrari 250 GTO goes for in auction. I've never had to care before. I don't even know how often they sell--I assumed that limited-production vehicles probably don't come up for auction that often so why would the price change frequently. Now we're seeing that actually they DO seem to sell often enough that we're seeing changes to prices two months in, which is worse than what I expected. I suppose the obvious retort could be that I should've researched Hagerty auctions to know how often the cars come up for sale or something, but that seems a bit ridiculous of an ask to me.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I thought this was to be expected because of that Hagerty deal that reflects actual car prices on the market. Still a very stupid move but it wasn't random either.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
People really will defend anything, won't they? 'You can't complain that a staple feature of the series for years (selling cars) is eventually coming at some indeterminate date, after they removed it to push you toward paying for MTX, and even then, only after a massive backlash. God, you people are always outraged at something, aren't you? Never happy! I, for one, love paying more for less features and being gouged to shit on progression unless I'm willing to make playing the game a repetitive, grindy full time job.'

The live service concept sucks and makes for worse games. They're not built for fun progression, they're engineered to push those susceptible toward spending money to skip the grind and that affects everyone in the end, not just those who pay.

The excuses and apologies made for these shitty business practices are sad to see. There's no lows these companies can sink to that will ever be enough for some to actually sit up and demand better....in terms of games, and in terms of how they treat their employees too. I know one issue is way worse and more consequential than the other, just making a point that even the absolute worst behaviour from these companies sees too many people rushing to defend these corporations.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
So glad I swapped this for Returnal.
Playing some Gran Turismo 4 and 6 after trading 7 showed me truly what a step down in terms of structure, content and singleplayer this game is.

It´s no longer a game, It's a storefront.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I get the whole tying stuff into real world prices, and I don't actually have a huge problem with that. I do wish you got credits faster though. I play these games to drive cool fast cars I can't in real life, grinding like crazy for just one of them isn't really all that fun

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

Kaz actually had the idea of making a GT "service game" all the way back in 2006. Originally GT HD was meant to launch with only a few cars and tracks, and then you would purchase each new car/track with real money, that then would carry over to later GT games (presumably 5)

This idea was scrapped eventually, but its clear that Kaz had some interesting ideas for the game economy for a long time now

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Gran Turismo just isn't what it used to be.

In the PS2 era it was the best racing series, now it's a joke.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've played GT games since 1 and I've never bounced off a game as fast as this one. That has nothing to do with the in game economy either. It just doesn't have that progression feeling that made the previous games great.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ugh, I'm still looking forward to the eventual PC port but I hope they have this shit figured out by then - if it's a service game, make it F2P. If it isn't, don't do this shit.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's not their fault the classic / supercar market was booming when they just so happened to decide to link their in game prices to the real market.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
PD had a huge backlash after lowering prizes in the game in patch 1.07...
So they corrected in 1.08 and made a U-turn...explaining this was a misundertanding...and never wanted to screw its fans... blablabla...

But now, with update 1.15 we can see where the franchise is heading with its "Hagerty" partnership and pricing policy: many legendary cars prices went up drastically... because why not?
The Mac Laren F1 went from 1 million in GTS to 18,5 millions in GT7...updated to 19,4 Millions today...

And this is just one example. More here.

www.gtplanet.net

The Hagerty's price increases post-1.15 update - 10,662,900 Cr. with info for all 62 Hagery's cars (4.08% increase)

Unless you've been under a rock since Wednesday night, you have heard about the 1.15 update. As part of that, PD will be adjusting the prices of various cars in the Legend Cars (Hagerty's) dealership beginning with each car's next appearance. In addition to the 9 cars that, prior to the...

To me, the situation hasn't changed drastically from when the shitstorm happened. The whole game economy is still a complete rip off, pushing you towards MTX, still can't sell cars, still cars needing special invitations that have a date of expiration (to push for impulsive buy), the loot/lottery still giving you the worst prize 90% of the time,... and the money is still pretty hard to earn (implying a LOT of grinding to get enough to buy the better cars) Etc...

A 80€ game should never have these kinds of monetization and predatory tactics.

Sony and PD should never get a pass on this.
Just a couple of things:
- prices were readjusted for GT7 because of the Hagerty partnership
- that partnership means prices of cars will rise and fall accordance to market conditions

I'm not saying it's fair or right for players but isn't this working as intended from launch?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see footage of this game I really want it, but news like this puts me off hardcore. $70+toxic business practices??? Come on, guys.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've mostly been playing the Cafe and Missions but will be moving onto car collection soon. Is the game about to become sour for me?
For cheaper cars that can be bought at the regular dealership it is fine but if you are looking for cars that only show up occasionally in the used car lot or super premium rotations you will probably be in for a bad time.

Last edited: