• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I'm torn on whether to get one of these(whenever they become available.) I have so many damn RB songs from over the years but I don't know if I want to play RB right now.

Hows the build quality for those who have it? Feels like it's worth the $130?

Given how hard to find RB instruments have been for years, I would say it would be a poor choice not buying this if you have any interest

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
We got ours in just a few hours ago. My son has opened up the one box so we can check it out. I hate amazon packaging, they placed all 4 guitars loose in the big box and they were bouncing back and forth.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
PlayStation or Xbox models? Only the Xbox one works on PC.

From what people were saying before release, the Playstation guitar didn't need anything extra and just worked natively (albeit with tilt and whammy not working) while the Xbox guitar needed RB4InstrumentMapper in order to work with the clones. It's just that Fortnite is only detecting the Xbox version currently.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't done it myself yet but this thread popped up. For people trying to connect to Clone Hero and I guess Yarg too.

Reddit

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Given how hard to find RB instruments have been for years, I would say it would be a poor choice not buying this if you have any interest
Part of me thinks they are going to mass produce these to hell, but I went ahead and placed an order with no ship date just in case these turn out amazing and it takes a few months for stock to come in.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From what people were saying before release, the Playstation guitar didn't need anything extra and just worked natively (albeit with tilt and whammy not working) while the Xbox guitar needed RB4InstrumentMapper in order to work with the clones. It's just that Fortnite is only detecting the Xbox version currently.
Well shit. I bought the wrong guitar then.

I'm trying to follow the instructions here: https://github.com/TheNathannator/R...live-guitars-and-rb4-wireless-legacy-adapters

But when I click "Configure Devices", nothing shows up.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Got mine today, and they really seem to have nailed the feel of the official RB guitars. Feels exactly the same. The fret buttons seem a little quieter.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Can't get mine to work on YARG

Wait wtf, the PlayStation guitar doesn't work on pc despite it saying it does on the box???

My PS5 model works perfectly fine in YARG, except whammy bar and star power. Windows picked up the driver from the dongle automatically. In fact, it even picked it up as an audio device so you can listen through the headphone jack. In YARG though, it doesn't work out of the box, you have to create a profile and manually bind the keys. It only takes a minute or two. I've found that I need to click "connect" on my profile when I launch YARG each time, but it's not a big deal imo.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I got it mostly working kind of in GHWTDE. It's detected, it's showing all the right mappings in the bindings menu but In the menu it's double strumming and then when i go to play a song it only detects the green button lol. Despite recognizing them all in the binding menu

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Mine came in today but might not mess with it much if it isn't working in things not RB4 or FF yet. I didn't really expect this stuff to work elegantly day 1, though from a design standpoint I don't understand why this doesn't appear to a PC the same way any other random controller does. This is my first time messing with guitar games and PC so maybe it is just par for the course though.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
The Riffmaster plays like a dream on my pc, haven't tried Xbox yet. I wanted an instrument refresh for years and I'm so happy that we got one.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
My problem with GHWT rn is that in the menu it detects everything great. It single-strums, but only in some menus does it recognize Red, and then in the main menu it double strums (so it goes past stuff), and it doesn't work in-song. Green seems to be double selecting, too.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Something happened with my Amazon order. Had to approve a delay due to supply chain issues. Kind of disappointed.
Same here. I approved the delay on my pre-order thinking that the release was still a few months away, only to notice this thread bumped and realized that the release date already happened and people are getting their guitars.

I'm hopefully I'll get it eventually, but this sucks a lot.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Fortnite Festival kinda legit once you figure out the set up

Fun fact: you cant just start with only the guitar connected acting as an xbox controller even tho you can turn the console on, open the game, navigate to festival and control everything find. Once you start itll have a switch device prompt up meaning you need to connect a real controller. Then you can strum and play

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Received my PS5 guitars tonight. UPS took their time and came around 9pm, lol.

Played on PS5 with my fiancé and didn't have any trouble setting things up. One USB receiver in the front and one in the back of the PS5. Did the calibration and after that, no issues.

Fyi, according to the manual, you can lift off the front of the guitar (the grey area) and place the USB receiver in a spot for storage. Here's a link that shows it:

As far as PC is concerned, the PS5 guitar works with Clone Hero but without whammy/tilt (as someone else stated) but you can still assign a button to those things if needed. For example, I assigned the analog underneath the guitar to act as star power activation just to test things out. When you plug the receiver in, Windows will automatically set it up. Your guitar should sync to it. In Clone Hero, I used the keyboard to get into the options and configure the guitar. After that, I didn't have any issues.

I was always under the assumption that the PS5 guitar didn't work on PC AT ALL but now I understand they're talking about Fortnite on PC. So I'm quite surprised but very happy that it works with Clone Hero. Speaking of which, this is my first time using the program and wow. Very reminiscent of DDR/Stepmania in that you can find all sorts of user created content. I may need to find a way to stream this to my living room TV so we can play there.

It's been years since I've played Rock Band and it feels great to be back. I'm at a point, though, where instead of wanting to play on Expert all the time to try and get better, I rather listen to songs and sing along, lol. Already planning on inviting friends over for a game night and drinks.

I may give Fortnite Festival a try just to see how it is but it might not be my main focus.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I got one of my guitars yesterday. Seems to be pretty good quality, though admittedly I haven't purchased any instruments since the RB1 starter/launch kit (with the exception of the keytar which seems to be not a thing anymore) which were wired then.

I gotta say, picking up RB4 and all my DLC and exports (which scarily is a LOT of money if I sit and add it up) felt awesome. My skills have completely atrophied, but I was able to do a lot of the Expert 3-5 skill difficulty without too much trouble after a while. Cool thing is my 6 year old was super interested in it too, so I think it'll be fun together.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So I did end up opening mine up and fiddling with it. This is the Xbox model, and I've been successful at getting it to work with Clone Hero a total of 5 minutes before it has become unresponsive to any inputs. I'm a little miffed as I wasn't exactly the most informed and of course chose the Xbox version to play on PC when in reality the PS one is essentially plug and play here outside of Fortnite, which I don't really care about. And of course now I can't swap them out, but I can still return it at least. Not sure what I'm going to do.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Feeling this, tried a song on medium to "warm back up" but it's always frustrating hearing the notes but not seeing them on the screen so I dove right back into Expert. And five songs later, I'm not sure if I can back from retirement haha.

Yeah. My hands cramp up and hurt, and I don't really have enough room to stand and make it feel better for myself.

I'm really doubting this endeavor now... :(

I kinda miss the clacky feeling of the old GH controllers too. I don't remember if the original RB controllers were as "squishy".

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yeah. My hands cramp up and hurt, and I don't really have enough room to stand and make it feel better for myself.

I kinda miss the clacky feeling of the old GH controllers too. I don't remember if the original RB controllers were as "squishy".
I recall Rock band always being squishy vs the click. And rhe flat frets vs the raised color ones on gh

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So my problem with the XB version and CH came down to 2 things -

1 - you can't have steam running or you have to disable your desktop controller profile. Or disable all the steam input/controller support options.
2 - right now I seem to have to have the controller disconnected from the dongle when I start up RB4InstrumentMapper.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, all of the anime songs I added don't have a medium difficulty.

Probably a bit off topic, but what do you guys do about the orange button? How long did it take you to go from medium to hard?

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, all of the anime songs I added don't have a medium difficulty.

Probably a bit off topic, but what do you guys do about the orange button? How long did it take you to go from medium to hard?
Probably the #1 tip is to change your hand's resting position so that your fingers are on RYBO by default instead of GRYB. It's easier to move your index finger up to green than it is to move your pinky down to orange. Just slide your hand a bit as needed until it feels more natural.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the #1 tip is to change your hand's resting position so that your fingers are on RYBO by default instead of GRYB. It's easier to move your index finger up to green than it is to move your pinky down to orange. Just slide your hand a bit as needed until it feels more natural.
I saw Acai recommend that, and I'm having a really tough time trying to get used to it, lol, but I'll keep trying

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

1 - you can't have steam running or you have to disable your desktop controller profile. Or disable all the steam input/controller support options.
2 - right now I seem to have to have the controller disconnected from the dongle when I start up RB4InstrumentMapper.
The dev pushed update 4.2.0 that restarts the device upon starting it to try and alleviate rhat. I still cant get it to work

Nov 3, 2023
Iowa

Only thing I don't like about it, but it is like the OG RB guitars, hard to tell if I'm missing notes or if the guitar is without the click response. I'd love the GH3 strum bar on the Riffmaster.

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Glad to see you got it running, i'm going to try those steps and double check the discord thread to make sure i'm doing it right. I just want to be able to play some songs already. I'm assuming you're on the latest build?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see you got it running, i'm going to try those steps and double check the discord thread to make sure i'm doing it right. I just want to be able to play some songs already. I'm assuming you're on the latest build?
I've got v4.2 of RB4IM and v1.0...final for CH. The newer one might work but I've been going back and forth and that is what I landed on when things started working.

I'll say that when I started following directions last night, I was getting errors and exceptions with just about everything I was doing. I don't know why. Today everything with the install "worked" without issues as described but as you can see things were still a little hokey.

Gavatron

Unshakable Resolve
May 23, 2019
I'm thinking about placing a pre-order for when the next batch releases. I know it's only early days, but is there a general consensus that the Playstation version of the guitar is the most versatile across platforms? Mainly wanting to play on PS4, but also would like PC connectivity for CH, YARG and emulation.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Didn't get it yesterday or today so I checked my Amazon order and they cancelled it on me saying they can't deliver it to my address. There's an Amazon warehouse like 5 miles from my place gdi.