• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Also funny how they went with Crimson Desert, which aligns with the name of one of the most popular private servers for BDO. Wonder if that's to smother visibility on it and give them more legal recourse to shut it down. I'm doubtful it's just coincidence or an homage to fans.

I thought Crimsion Desert was the name of the one desert in BDO? It was red because of the blood spilled there or something? Or am I thinking of something else?

I enjoyed BDO but the end game got really grindy especially teting to level up and having to play stock market to get the items you want or do ridiculous minigame things with NPCs to have the opportunity to buy something. Hopefully they can fix that

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Eve-Online is an odd beast that can't really be used to generalize what's happening to the "genre." In the last couple of years it hasn't been in a really good place either (and just as a personal note, the quality of the graphics has taken an absurd nosedive, just two years ago Eve looked amazing. I compare screenshots side by side and it looks like the game went BACK 10 years).

It's only irony that Pearl Abyss bought it too.

But you can make a case for Eve-Online confirming precisely what I said. Eve had a moment of huge expansion, with them making a FPS, buying the White Wolf license, making VR, making 3D characters in Eve with the possibility of walking around. It all went to shit precisely because instead of focusing on the game they had they tried to do a million of other things with zero competency about them. And now they have only Eve, just because the game was strong enough by itself to power through all the bullshit.

We'll see what happens with Pear Abyss. I think at best they'll go the way of NCSoft (revising and downsizing their plan after a phase of too fast growth they thought would be infinite), at worst like Bless Online.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I only played BDO for about a month with my brother. We quickly found that the game too quickly devolved into an economy simulator and the combat unfortunately didn't hold me. Will definitely keep my eye on Crimson Desert to see how it turns out though.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Hold up a second

Eter Lee, former Lead Combat Designer of RYL Online and C9, is in charge of the action combat system for the title.

And seemingly a korean take on RvR ? yeah sign me in immediately. C9, AoC and BnS are the most amazing mmos on a pure mechanical point of view

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Eve-Online is an odd beast that can't really be used to generalize what's happening to the "genre." In the last couple of years it hasn't been in a really good place either (and just as a personal note, the quality of the graphics has taken an absurd nosedive, just two years ago Eve looked amazing. I compare screenshots side by side and it looks like the game went BACK 10 years).
I was by no means using EVE to generalize occurrences for the genre. It's a very niche title with a stable community. Mechanically speaking, the game has never been better, and in my opinion has a lot more to offer than other MMOs when it comes player agency and longevity. It certainly isn't a game you can solo, however, and that's probably where it falls short for newer players.

Concerning visuals: This has to be a joke. EVE's visuals have received major updates within the last 1.5 years and the game has never looked better. The only lacking assets are the nebula cube maps used for the environment backdrops due to their low resolution. Since the client is 64-bit by default, I imagine this will be fixed in the near future.

But you can make a case for Eve-Online confirming precisely what I said. Eve had a moment of huge expansion, with them making a FPS, buying the White Wolf license, making VR, making 3D characters in Eve with the possibility of walking around. It all went to shit precisely because instead of focusing on the game they had they tried to do a million of other things with zero competency about them. And now they have only Eve, just because the game was strong enough by itself to power through all the bullshit.
I mean... the alternative products only have to deal with CCP Games' expansion with the only "expansive" element for EVE being Incarna. Since receiving backlash during summer 2011, they've come to their senses to focus on what's working for them. Dust 514, while restricted to a single platform, was a success in terms of vision execution. Project Nova is still in development, which I'm sure will just end up being Dust on PC. (Something that CCP could have capitalized on a lot earlier had they initially developed and released a PC client.)

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Plan 8 looks amazing and it being developed by Minh Le (however small his involvement in current CS) is another cherry on top. If it even plays half as good as it looks it'll be an instabuy for me.

"Plan 8 |OT| Binary Domain on Crack"

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Sure, alright. Black Desert could have been good, so maybe they've learned.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Plan 8 looks amazing and it being developed by Minh Le (however small his involvement in current CS) is another cherry on top. If it even plays half as good as it looks it'll be an instabuy for me.
Same here it almost looks too good although that may just be cynicism on my part. If they can give me stuff like 0:38 - 0:45 as actual gameplay and I'm there day 1

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
In a war for survival, three tribes will fight for control of the Pywell continent. Crimson Desert has been produced since 2018 by Jason Jung, former game design director of RYL Online.

GlossyPlushBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif

Foxvic

Oct 11, 2019
Hope they learn and do more multiplayer interaction. Black Desert was almost single player game.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Crimson Desert looks amazing, but having played BDO I do have some concerns:

Forced PvP has got to go: Having to make alts under level 50 to safely trade and level professions was/and still is stupid.

Enhancing (if it returns) either needs to be reworked dramatically for the Western audience or be removed entirely: I know this wish is laughable since it's a Korean MMO and grinding failstacks/spending money/P2W is their thing.. but it's trash. Like here I am (was) spending hours upon hours fishing and trading to accumulate enough silver to just buy high end gear from the AH to avoid this shit outright. That's crazy.

Have PvE endgame content: I haven't even had the chance to experience endgame content (due to the reason listed above) but I heard that the PvE content was lackluster. From what I saw in the trailer this looks to a single player campaign so I'm hoping they have a number of endgame options to compliment it.

My two silvers.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plano 8 looks bonkers. I am in if they deliver 50% of what the trailer is showing.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Are they all going to be very pretty, yet grindy and p2w as fuck? If so I will avoid them like the plague. BDO was fun until I realized the endgame was gonna be shit and you had to shell out cash to get a leg up.

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
That BDO mobile money must be doing work. I was most excited to see Crimson Desert from this event but Plan 8 looks like the interesting one right now. The presentation for Crimson Desert was just very confusing imo. Is it an mmorpg with a single player campaign that has the open world sandbox stuff opening up after completion?

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they improve the combat on BDO 2. I've yet to see a better MMO combat system than Dragon Nest (which is 10 years old now...).

That game was so good and so bad at the same time. It looks like your average shitty anime MMO, the grind is unbearable at times, you basically replay the same few maps over and over, but the combat is so good that you just keep playing. It's the only MMO that could hold my attention for a long time other than WoW.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Back when I played BDO, i didn't really have an issue with the microtransactions, it was the RNG in the gear progression that got me to stop playing. I hope it is toned down in Crimson Desert. BDO had a lot of great concepts but a couple of things that held it back, I hope this helps rectify it.

EDIT: Actually, I never actually checked, Is Crimson Desert just a single player campaign? Because I am still in for that too since I loved the design and lore of the world in BDO and would love a single player campaign set in that world.

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
That game was so good and so bad at the same time. It looks like your average shitty anime MMO, the grind is unbearable at times, you basically replay the same few maps over and over, but the combat is so good that you just keep playing. It's the only MMO that could hold my attention for a long time other than WoW.
I'm on the same boat as you. I still play it with friends since so many years now. Many things are bad but the combat feels so good you can't just quit it so easily :)

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
all these trailers look bonkers. to the point that i'd wanna see what PA could do with a crafted contained story/game that doesnt have to carry as an MMO

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's kind of fascinating how Korea is almost single-handedly keeping MMOs as a genre alive. What's the most recent major non-Korean MMO? Elder Scrolls Online, half a decade ago?

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
i remember being sort of excited for bdo because of the strong sandbox elements. i remember opening that game, getting bored making a kpop idol for a female character, and then wondering if the graphical pop ins were a bug or a feature.

in the end i don't think i played it at all. it felt soulless and cash grabby from the moment i first played it. wake me up when mabinogi gets a reboot or someone revives peria chronicles.

Lyon

Jun 5, 2019
Same here it almost looks too good although that may just be cynicism on my part. If they can give me stuff like 0:38 - 0:45 as actual gameplay and I'm there day 1

I just saw the trailer and thought the same thing. Trailer gameplay looks really good. If it plays and feels even 90% close to the trailers then all they have to worry about are the missions, environs, etc.

Most interested I've been in a game for sometime.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap, this Division meets Elex one looks amazing, but Crimson Desert even better - some hints of Deep Down I see there.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020

Damn, I hope that isn't that Jon Snow-lookalike's final design.

I hate Jon Snow-lookalikes in fiction.

As for Pearl Abyss... I liked Black Desert online and I'll probably still play it, but honestly speaking, I haven't played it in months and now I have Final Fantasy XIV to play. I don't know if I'll return to it and I hear that to really "git gud" in that game you have to fork over a lot of money. That said, if the game (Crimson Desert) is like what was in that trailer, then I'll definitely give it a look-see, at the very least.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
I thought that's why they made it, their focus is going to include having actual PVE end-game content.

I hope so, because if BDO had it I'd be 80,000 hours in by now.
How long did you play BDO? I heard great things about it, but I only played 10 hours into it before I got sidetracked by other things, not necessarily because of the game itself, mind you (though I am playing Final Fantasy XIV now). Honestly, it was an alright MMO, though I do think that RuneScape 3 is still the best one for me so far.

Vasto

May 26, 2019
How long did you play BDO? I heard great things about it, but I only played 10 hours into it before I got sidetracked by other things, not necessarily because of the game itself, mind you (though I am playing Final Fantasy XIV now). Honestly, it was an alright MMO, though I do think that RuneScape 3 is still the best one for me so far.

Good time to come back to Black Desert. They have Season Servers open now where you can level up fast and get gear easy.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Those look good. Crimson Desert is a continuation of BDO? I always wanted to play BDO but it's not available in my region. Plan 8 looks amazing.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Those look good. Crimson Desert is a continuation of BDO? I always wanted to play BDO but it's not available in my region. Plan 8 looks amazing.
Actually, from what I understand, Crimson Desert is not a continuation of Black Desert Online, but it's own thing. Think of it as a spiritual successor to BDO. Agreed on Plan 8.