• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
g-star.jpg

mod edit: source replaced

Pearl Abyss, the South Korean gaming company known for Black Desert Online (and for purchasing CCP Games last year), announced three new MMO games and a fantasy arena fighter titled Shadow Arena.

The press release only provides brief information on all these titles, even though each one already has its own website. More details will be shared during the Pearl Abyss Connect 2019 event, due to take place on November 14th (4:00 UTC) at G-STAR 2019.
PLAN 8

PLAN 8 is an exosuit massively multiplayer online shooter, a title spearheaded by Minh Le as technical adviser, also known as the co-creator of the Counter-Strike franchise. A trailer for PLAN 8, the first shooting game from Pearl Abyss, will be released at Pearl Abyss Connect. The game's production is led by Seung-ki Lee, former environment art director of Black Desert Online and Black Desert Mobile.

Crimson Desert

Crimson Desert is an open-world massively multiplayer online RPG set in an epic-fantasy world. In a war for survival, three tribes will fight for control of the Pywell continent. Crimson Desert has been produced since 2018 by Jason Jung, former game design director of RYL Online. Working alongside Jason Jung on RYL Online, one of Korea's most famous first-generation action MMORPGs, was Dae-il Kim, the founder of Pearl Abyss. Eter Lee, former Lead Combat Designer of RYL Online and C9, is in charge of the action combat system for the title.

DokeV

DokeV is a collectible massively multiplayer online RPGfor all ages. DokeV is led by Sang-young Kim, former animation director of Black Desert Online, and Suh Won Choi, former game design director of Black Desert Online.

MMO shooter, Black Desert Online 2, and "Pokemon" MMO.

BDO did a ton right, but got a ton wrong. Let's see if they can fix the issues for these three games.

We'll see gameplay and get more details of all three on November 13th at 8PM Pacific.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the gameplay in Crimson Desert is akin to BDO, that game feels so good to play.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
RYL online references in 2019 . Loving it.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Pearl Abyss... Oh, the Black Desert devs.

Dokev sounds really interesting, kinda in the same space as Temtem will be. I'll keep an eye on these.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I am looking forward to Crimsom Desert. I loved bdo's combat but it's end game grind was too much.

MadsG

Nov 1, 2017
Only reason they named their pokemon rip off doke, is so they can make the title look like POKE in capital letters and using a misleading font

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
It doesn't make sense... why make so many MMOs?? It feels like they treat their MMOs to be short lived?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I really thought there was a Pokemon MMO coming up. Now I'm sad.

I'm interested in how Plan 8 turns out.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
BDO sounded absolutely amazing pre-launch when they were aiming more for a Sandbox MMO. It's turned into this convoluted messy MTX heavy grind treadmill, so I'm highly skeptical of anything they announce. Hope they do something cool all the same, there's little to no interesting MMOs in development anymore.

Also funny how they went with Crimson Desert, which aligns with the name of one of the most popular private servers for BDO. Wonder if that's to smother visibility on it and give them more legal recourse to shut it down. I'm doubtful it's just coincidence or an homage to fans.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Hope These stuff have better development pipeline for the WW release somehow, waiting for all of those cool looking Asian online games is so annoying and a hype killer.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
THey just showed off Shadow Abyss (hero fighter) and they're doing Plan 8 right now, likely DokeV and the big one (Crimson Desert) at the end

Jun 23, 2019
Wait so if CD is BDO2, is there any point in jumping on BDO right now? I was thinking of dropping $20 on the pack on PS4, but never mind.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so if CD is BDO2, is there any point in jumping on BDO right now? I was thinking of dropping $20 on the pack on PS4, but never mind.
BDO won't be dropped right away as CD might be a year or two off from a CB even, I think BDO is worth jumping into just to play around with the combat system, it's pretty fun.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
What are you looking for in an MMO? BDO's primary endgame focus is pay-to-win PvP. If you're looking for a traditional themepark MMO, I recommend Final Fantasy XIV.

Combat aside, the gameplay loop for BDO is poorly designed, IMO. The game mostly involves performing AFK activities for hours for maybe minutes of actual satisfaction. I say this as someone who played the game for two years solidly.

OP
OP
Einbroch

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the game is heavily instanced for the story content, so much so that it's basically a single player game while you're partaking in the story, and an MMO for everything else MMO'y.

Jun 23, 2019
What are you looking for in an MMO? BDO's primary endgame focus is pay-to-win PvP. If you're looking for a traditional themepark MMO, I recommend Final Fantasy XIV.

Combat aside, the gameplay loop for BDO is poorly designed, IMO. The game mostly involves performing AFK activities for hours for maybe minutes of actual satisfaction. I say this as someone who played the game for two years solidly.

Yikes. Thank you for saving me some money lol.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Crimson desert made me think of Game of throne and Attack on titans haha Look really nice ! Plan 8 seems really good too

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Plan 8 looks so confusing as it is just pulling hard from every AAA game in the last 5 years into a weird messy amalgamation.

OP
OP
Einbroch

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Plan 8 seems like the real standout, at least from a well-that-came-out-of-nowhere perspective. It's just so wtf I can't help but be interested. Could be a mess.

DokeV could be fun, but we haven't seen combat. I'm guessing MMO Ni no Kuni.

Crimson Desert is interesting. I hope the PVE is a bit more fleshed out than BDO and the game isn't P2W.

Shadow Arena is eh. Whatever.

Interested in these projects, but they really didn't show a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
Plan 8 and DokeV are easily the standouts, IMO. Crimson Desert is visually appealing, but everything else about it falls flat for me.

I don't trust Pearl Abyss to not release a game that won't eventually become pay-to-win. BDO is like that and BDO mobile is even worse in that regard. We'll see though.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
They stated that the engine for BDO was too limiting. They want faster combat, better graphics, and better performance. So you'll likely get your wish.

The engine of Black Desert is proprietary. They can do everything they want with it.

When a MMO company starts too many project the only result is that it's going to self-cannibalize. Black Desert is a rather good game, yet with plenty of critical issues (all of them fixable through game design). I think it's like 30% of the planned landmass, and lots of the systems seem very poorly flashed out.

That means Black Desert is functional but almost an early access for all the things that need work. The fact they are ALREADY abandoning ship for a complete reboot simply means that whoever is making decisions has no clue.

So I'm sure that the biggest achievement of Crimson Desert will be to kill Black Desert, and nothing else. In a few years we'll discuss why Pearl Abyss tried to grow too quickly and ended up with nothing. It's a repeating pattern.

A mmorpg is a huge achievement and a challenge for the biggest game companies. When these companies spread they resources across multiple titles it simply means that they are going to cultivate mediocrity.

We don't need a thousands of crap mmorpgs and continuous relaunches and reboots. We need a few good ones that are well supported. We need development focus.

Instead of making a solid title they are just making a bunch of crap that will last a couple of years at most. It seems the whole the mmorpg market has gone to shit (outside of Final Fantasy that now looks like a miraculous survivor, and maybe because is super-conservative with all its design).

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
The engine of Black Desert is proprietary. They can do everything they want with it.

When a MMO company starts too many project the only result is that it's going to self-cannibalize. Black Desert is a rather good game, yet with plenty of critical issues (all of them fixable through game design). I think it's like 30% of the planned landmass, and lots of the systems seem very poorly flashed out.

That means Black Desert is functional but almost an early access for all the things that need work. The fact they are ALREADY abandoning ship for a complete reboot simply means that whoever is making decisions has no clue.

So I'm sure that the biggest achievement of Crimson Desert will be to kill Black Desert, and nothing else. In a few years we'll discuss why Pearl Abyss tried to grow too quickly and ended up with nothing. It's a repeating pattern.

A mmorpg is a huge achievement and a challenge for the biggest game companies. When these companies spread they resources across multiple titles it simply means that they are going to cultivate mediocrity.

We don't need a thousands of crap mmorpgs and continuous relaunches and reboots. We need a few good ones that are well supported. We need development focus.

Instead of making a solid title they are just making a bunch of crap that will last a couple of years at most. It seems the whole the mmorpg market has gone to shit (outside of Final Fantasy that now looks like a miraculous survivor, and maybe because is super-conservative with all its design).
That's a lot of pre-judgement there

Oct 27, 2017
That's a lot of pre-judgement there
They aren't wrong though.

You forgot EVE Online. That game has only improved over time. I would argue that it's easily the best MMO available.