• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Ah, you're fearful. Now imagine how it is being a PoC that has to deal with racist shit every day from people who see a lot of color.
Yeah I am fearful. Because with every post that I make I can be accused of being a racist. While I don't want to be one. It is because I don't know where all the insensitivities lies. Like for example In a thread about The little mermaid someone said I hope that she can swim. I never thought that was a racial thing. It was only when I looked it up that there was a stereotype linked to it. The same with watermelons. It is like you can step on a landmine without being aware that there was one.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the history of the US broadly. But that is very different as living there.
This I don't understand "but in the midst of you demanding that people explain what's racist about this story you're simultaneously shooting down any and all retorts.".
I mean you're asking people to explain something to you but you lack the fundamental understandings of race everyone else has to fully grasp what they are trying to get across to you and thus you're shooting their replies down as non-valid. You are working with a different understanding of what the concept of racism is and for any of us to properly explain it to you we risk turning this thread into a sociology 101 course. Also, if you wanna learn you gotta do some more listening and less arguing.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Sorry but based on these answers it doesn't seem like you are interested in having a discussion in good faith.

The first half is... Yikes. Extend that to other topics like slavery, genocide, the Holocaust, subjugation of women, etc and you'll see how it holds up

Microagressions aren't literal statements. Come on. :/

I'm done replying to you here. Want to continue? PM me.
I shall pm you. But I think it is important that I reply here also. I always try to argue in good faith. And if there is something not clear then just ask me. I don't want to be misunderstood. Just ask for clarification. Because I have been banned already for not being clear enough. So just tell me where I have been wrong.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah I am fearful. Because with every post that I make I can be accused of being a racist. While I don't want to be one. It is because I don't know where all the insensitivities lies. Like for example In a thread about The little mermaid someone said I hope that she can swim. I never thought that was a racial thing. It was only when I looked it up that there was a stereotype linked to it. The same with watermelons. It is like you can step on a landmine without being aware that there was one.

Ah yes, the real burden, lol.

If you really wanna know try sitting back and just learning.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing especially terrible in saying something wrong. We're humans, we all make mistakes sometimes.
The important thing is that you need to be willing to learn, and listen to what people say.
Ask yourself why are you so quick to dismiss actual people of color in here saying it could be construed as racist, when you barely know anything about the topic at hand?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
There is nothing especially terrible in saying something wrong. We're humans, we all make mistakes sometimes.
The important thing is that you need to be willing to learn, and listen to what people say.
Ask yourself why are you so quick to dismiss actual people of color in here saying it could be construed as racist, when you barely know anything about the topic at hand?

This. Can't plead ignorance and a desire to understand but you can't be humble enough to actually listen when folks try telling you.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I mean you're asking people to explain something to you but you lack the fundamental understandings of race every else has to fully grasp what they are trying to get across to you and thus you're shooting their replies down as non-valid. You are working with a different understanding of what the concept of racism is and for any of us to properly explain it to you we risk turning this thread into a sociology 101 course.
So I lack fundamental understandings of race. Ok. And I don't know if we work with a different understanding of racism.
I have absolutely no problem saying if I am wrong.
How did I dismiss people's explanations? I always listen. Why otherwise post on the forum. It would be a waste of time otherwise.
My whole purpose in life is trying to learn. There is no greater meaning for me in this life.
But surely if someone posts something to me I can discuss it too. This gives a greater understanding of the matter.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys I'm Baron Von Adelsdorf of Liechtenstein and as an outsider, knowing absolutely nothing about U.S politics and history, I'm sure I can give valuable input on the topic of race relations in your country.
also here's my opinion on why this makes sense given the procedural details of how the american house of representatives functions

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Yep. Completely absurd.

Also is silent when other members attack AOC and co. over Israel and other shit.

That last Ilhan Omar fake ass controversy, where it took her days to even acknowledge the tribal racism and then her first statement was some "I love and respect 9/11 and everyone else should" was the last straw for me that basically forced me to self-ban for a week because I was seeing red. That was the last straw, so all of this nonsense right now with her continuing on her privileged white bullshit is just adding to the fire.

I know AOC and the others aren't going to go hard at Pelosi, but they should. We all should.

Timely article:
As Ocasio-Cortez notes, Pelosi's attacks aren't taking place in a bubble; they're taking place in a media environment where the rightwing have put a target on the Squad's back. On Tuesday night, for example, Fox host Tucker Carlson launched a racist attack against Omar that could arguably be seen as an incitement to violence against the congresswoman. "[Omar] has undisguised contempt for the United States and for its people," Carlson told his 3 million viewers. "That should worry you, and not just because Omar is now a sitting member of Congress. Ilhan Omar is living proof that the way we practice immigration has become dangerous to this country. A system designed to strengthen America is instead undermining it."

America is becoming an increasingly hostile place for women and for people of color. Pelosi's constant public attacks against the four newly elected women of color aren't just disrespectful, they're dangerous. Whether she means to or not, her repeated insinuations that the Squad are rabble-rousing upstarts who are undermining the Democratic party helps bolster the right's vitriolic narratives about the congresswomen. As America grows increasingly brazen in its bigotry, Pelosi should be aggressively standing up for her freshman colleagues, not trying to tear them down. So why isn't she?
Proud racism advocates for walls to keep brown people out of America. Polite racism builds different sorts of walls; it leverage concepts like "civility" and "unity" to make sure certain voices are kept out of power, or are dismissed as trouble-making and divisive when they try and critique power. What "civility" really means, in all of these discussions, of course, is servility. What unity really means is uniform acceptance of the status quo. Progressives keep being told we shouldn't criticize centrist Democrats if we want any chance at beating Trump in 2020; and yet establishment figures like Pelosi seem to have no problem criticizing progressive Democrats and the millions of people they represent.

In a press conference on Thursday, Pelosi brushed away questions about her feud with the squad, grandly stating that "Diversity is our strength. Unity is our power." Is it really? Because I don't see any diversity or unity from where I'm looking. I just see a lot of old-fashioned hubris.

Seems relevant for current discussion at the minute. I implore a full read. And then reading this excellent post again from the other thread:
We need to realize that Omar, Pressley, Tlaib, and AOC mark the possibility of a fundamental change that the white political elites fear more than they fear elite supremacists, no matter how minuscule that possibility is. How they seamlessly combine the intersectional positions of gender, race and class to question the political imaginational boundaries set by the white ruling class, including the role of capital, is absolutely threatening .. Historically the black/brown communities are conditioned not to dream political dreams outside of the absolute middle of political discourse (this is one of the reasons Biden has so strong support in those communities). 'If you dream and act outside of the political boundaries given, there will be repercussions that are worse than what came before', is the conditioning. The radical dream of 'change' for many black and brown communities is one where things are simply not worse than what they were before. That is what is meant when we talk about the need for 'pragmatism' - not to dream of real change for anyone but the white middle class. This is also why these four women of color are constantly attacked by the dem leadership - they need to be conditioned and set as an example of what happens to strong women of color who dare to question what feminism means outside of the liberal confines, who hint at the root causes of oppression of the system, who question some of our cemented social relations. For those of us who study history, we recognize the violence in the language of those in power who constantly come back to how insignificant, worthless, useless, naive and weak in this game of patriarchal politics these women of color are - how they need to learn to play within the white pragmatic confines that they so gracefully have been given access to. They are allowed to exist because if they can be broken from their dreams of change, their intersectionality is a useful tool for promising change but changing nothing, for maintaining the consensus that transformative change is not possible for minorities.

The centrist men in this forum are equally obsessed with 'these women', seemingly they need to remind themselves and their surroundings constantly how insignificant 'these women' are, and how they absolutely *do not* threaten the foundations of their privilege.

Oct 27, 2017
I suggest that instead of worrying about being called a racist, perhaps look back into when you were called one and recognize the behavior that elicited that criticism. You can't expect others to walk you through not being racist.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
See if someone genuinely asks questions and counter-arguments then he gets ridiculed.
Then what is the point in actually posting? If there can be no discussion.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I suggest that instead of worrying about being called a racist, perhaps look back into when you were called one and recognize the behavior that elicited that criticism. You can't expect others to walk you through not being racist.
I wasn't called a racist. I just fear that discussing this topic that I can be accused of one.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
you're presenting yourself as a completely ridiculous person.
Well thank you. Nice insult.
Because you don't actually know what you're talking about and you're centering this thread around yourself in the process
I don't want to be it around me. Others make it around me.
I want to return to the topic at hand. But as soon if you go against the stream here you get packed on without discussing the matter at hand. So let's get back at the topic.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Just be yourself and don't be weird about it. If things you say are misinterpreted but its not what you really mean, then whatever.
Yeah but I don't want to be accused or be reported because something wasn't clear or can be interpreted wrong and yes let's get back on topic.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't want to be it around me. Others make it around me.
I want to return to the topic at hand. But as soon if you go against the stream here you get packed on without discussing the matter at hand. So let's get back at the topic.
I'm willing to talk via PM but yeah lets return to the topic at hand

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
See if someone genuinely asks questions and counter-arguments then he gets ridiculed.
Then what is the point in actually posting? If there can be no discussion.
I'm sorry that you're getting ganged up on. As a person of color I can tell you with 100% certainty that people ridiculing you aren't representative of all of us. It pisses me off to my core that you are coming asking genuine questions and wanting to have an open discussion so that you can garner understanding, and the responses are just attacking you and your character.

This is EXACTLY why people have issues with the progressives on this board. Unless someone sees it your way and only your way, the responses are absolutely vile. You really think ganging up on someone, making fun of them, and attacking their character is going to get them to understand what you're saying? Give me a fucking break.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm trying to assume you're discussing this in good faith, so i'd like to give you some perspective.

you came into this thread claiming to be ignorant of american politics or social issues because you're belgian and are only reading belgian sources (also lol @ the idea that racism isn't a thing in belgium or the EU generally so your pure virgin mind has no conception of it), and then proceed to lay out pretty detailed opinions as to why pelosi is actually doing just fine and there's no racism to be had in this situation. you refused to read the thread itself, instead deciding to spout a load of ignorant junk and then nail yourself to a cross and cry about being victimized by a hive mind. now after the obvious blowback received from what looks like extremely disingenuous contrarianism you suddenly don't want to make the thread about you, though it'd be pretty obvious to anyone with a little self-awareness that doing what you did would immediately derail the discussion.

basically you look like a troll, and not an especially good or clever one. if that's not the case maybe sit back and try to figure out where you went wrong.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any polls on support among the democrat voters for the "progressive wing" vs "the mainstream"?

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
Any polls on support among the democrat voters for the "progressive wing" vs "the mainstream"?

That's too abstract of a distinction to poll on.

The best current gauge of party-wide sentiment nationally is what positions the 2020 Presidential candidates are taking and how they are faring in the primary.

OP
OP
Mulciber

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Polls indicate that a very slight majority (54%) want the party to be more moderate. But I'm not entirely sure what you can make of that, as I don't know how that reflects people actually showing up to vote.

On top of that, there is a very good argument that we should be pushing the Overton window left. If we do that, "moderate" becomes more liberal than it was last year, five years ago, etc.

Edit: For example, today, 2/3 of Americans support same sex marriage. It's a moderate position. That was only 40% when Obama took office.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I have said that I didn't read the thread but I saw an article here in Belgium. I think that Pelosi targets them solely because they are so vocal on social media and so successful at it. They are successful for a while now. The problem is that there isn't a coherent message in the party and that is both hurting the case and the Democrats.
Solely? That's very generous of you.

They're really not all vocal on Twitter by the way, aside from AOC, but there is a laser focus on them any time that they do open their mouths to say anything, especially when it's critical.

I've never been to Belgium but here in the USA we've had a tradition that people of color are not allowed to be unhappy or voice dissenting opinions on the state of affairs because we're supposed to be happy about being allowed to exist here at all. If we do speak up we're called un-American and ungrateful. Our current president ran on a platform based on the country no longer being "great" after switching his lifelong party affiliation during the first minority presidency. He's allowed to say that though, we aren't.

So right now the lack of coherent party message that you describe is that four minority women were called out by the speaker for not happily supporting a bill that gave a blank check to the Trump admin to support concentration camps for Latin-American refugees. She chose not to bring up the 20 or so members of her coalition that openly sabotaged her original border bill and have repeatedly blocked the Democratic agenda in favor of "centrism". You say that you're unaware of this coalition because of how quiet they are. Well guess what, they don't have to make noise because they get want they want and Pelosi never has anything bad to say about them.

This is one of the many things that's frustrating about being a PoC in today's world. You point out gross hypocracy and specific ways that you're treated differently and you still have folks pulling the old "why you gotta bring race into it?" card.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just don't be so quick to disregard racism, as both an outsider and as someone who will never be the target for the system, and you'll be alright. I was willing to respond to you, as I gave you the benefit of the doubt about your ignorance on the matter. You are being "ganged up" on because a lot of bad faith posters post similarly and a person's intent is hard to gauge over the internet. White Americans have always had a huge race problem and that's going to show up even on the Democratic side of politics. This whole Democrat infighting boils down to race and class-consciousness.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's too abstract of a distinction to poll on.

The best current gauge of party-wide sentiment nationally is what positions the 2020 Presidential candidates are taking and how they are faring in the primary.
I disagree, the presidential race is very much do or die, especially now and the factors that go into that are much more numerous than the general feeling for the direction of the party at the House and Senate level.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
POC know very well how racism takes different forms when coming from the Right and Left. Racism from the right is often hateful and openly denigrating. IMO the lefts racism is more often paternalistic and dismissive. The left tends to recognize overt right winged racism but generally have their own ideas of what should or can be done about it. Often times those ideas call for a lot of compromise on the part of POC with no understanding of the level of sacrifice we already make. They always know better than us and they always find another black voice to silence us as if we cant have different opinions on issues.

Last edited:

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Sorry but based on these answers it doesn't seem like you are interested in having a discussion in good faith.

The first half is... Yikes. Extend that to other topics like slavery, genocide, the Holocaust, subjugation of women, etc and you'll see how it holds up

Microagressions aren't literal statements. Come on. :/

I'm done replying to you here. Want to continue? PM me.
Sorry and I apologize. I was wrong. And I see now what you are saying. I was totally wrong and I see why it came over that way.
I had it the other way round. Only POC have voted against the bill and it doesn't matter if someone voted for it.
So sorry for getting it wrong.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Sorry and I apologize. I was wrong. And I see now what you are saying. I was totally wrong and I see why it came over that way.
I had it the other way round. Only POC have voted against the bill and it doesn't matter if someone voted for it.
So sorry for getting it wrong.
The other thing that's somehow gotten lost in this is that it's not true that only the four minority women didn't vote for the bill, more Democrats voted against it than for it. The progressive were very vocal about their opposition to it and had their own bill that no one else suppored which I think is causing this confusion.

It does make Pelosi's position on this even more strange though.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Solely? That's very generous of you.

They're really not all vocal on Twitter by the way, aside from AOC, but there is a laser focus on them any time that they do open their mouths to say anything, especially when it's critical.

I've never been to Belgium but here in the USA we've had a tradition that people of color are not allowed to be unhappy or voice dissenting opinions on the state of affairs because we're supposed to be happy about being allowed to exist here at all. If we do speak up we're called un-American and ungrateful. Our current president ran on a platform based on the country no longer being "great" after switching his lifelong party affiliation during the first minority presidency. He's allowed to say that though, we aren't.

So right now the lack of coherent party message that you describe is that four minority women were called out by the speaker for not happily supporting a bill that gave a blank check to the Trump admin to support concentration camps for Latin-American refugees. She chose not to bring up the 20 or so members of her coalition that openly sabotaged her original border bill and have repeatedly blocked the Democratic agenda in favor of "centrism". You say that you're unaware of this coalition because of how quiet they are. Well guess what, they don't have to make noise because they get want they want and Pelosi never has anything bad to say about them.

This is one of the many things that's frustrating about being a PoC in today's world. You point out gross hypocracy and specific ways that you're treated differently and you still have folks pulling the old "why you gotta bring race into it?" card.
Thanks for the very good post.
Yeah I just can't fathom how deep racism runs in the US. I was always under the impression that the situation was a lot better already.
I was also a bit stupid and ignorant for not knowing about the sinking of the bill of the 20 members. That was a big mistake of me.
I just read the article in the news in Belgium and I responded here (although just everyone knows that I follow CNN daily and read politico daily and read the Washington Post but only the titles). That was wrong from me and I should have read all the posts.
But and I have said it in another thread already. Racism still seems to run so deep in the US. I can almost feel the anger. I never thought that the situation was still so severe. I still don't think that there is a laser focus on AOC because of race but the world where I live in and the US seem so far apart that I can be very wrong about that.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Racism doesn't just vanish when you're not specifically talking about race, it permeates through all decision making with implicit biases that may make you more willing to do some actions differently depending on someone's race (classic examples, grab your purse tightly or lock your car doors when approached by a black person).

In the political sphere, people don't only commit to action based on their own racial biases, but based off the biases of the public at large making it more politically favourable to support a racist trope, so you err on the side of uncomfortable racists over the legitimate concerns of people of color - ie. you're compelled to throw in an "I think that ALL lives matter" even if you do understand the point of BLM and are "trying" to defend and support it but can't resist throwing around a caveat so as not to upset fragile white folk who take black activism as white oppression.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
So if it really was that Blue Dog Aide Brooke Lillard that said the racist shit, that should spread.

And she should resign. No time for racist democrats, no matter how much the centrists hate AOC

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I just can't fathom how deep racism runs in the US. I was always under the impression that the situation was a lot better already.
I was also a bit stupid and ignorant for not knowing about the sinking of the bill of the 20 members. That was a big mistake of me.
I just read the article in the news in Belgium and I responded here (although just everyone knows that I follow CNN daily and read politico daily and read the Washington Post but only the titles). That was wrong from me and I should have read all the posts.
But and I have said it in another thread already. Racism still seems to run so deep in the US. I can almost feel the anger. I never thought that the situation was still so severe. I still don't think that there is a laser focus on AOC because of race but the world where I live in and the US seem so far apart that I can be very wrong about that.
The American Civil War was not won, it moved from the battlefield to the social field. It is still raging. There are many places in the American south where racism is not even hidden, it's in the open- confederate flags, swastika tattoos, all displayed pridefully. America is a big messy place where outside of cities, some really repugnant shit is tolerated, if not encouraged.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree, the presidential race is very much do or die, especially now and the factors that go into that are much more numerous than the general feeling for the direction of the party at the House and Senate level.

No one in the House or Senate is elected nationally. The arbitrary divisions in the electorate skews the sentiment in those bodies to the point where I can't see them as being an effective barometer of where the party is nationally.

The other thing that's somehow gotten lost in this is that it's not true that only the four minority women didn't vote for the bill, more Democrats voted against it than for it. The progressive were very vocal about their opposition to it and had their own bill that no one else suppored which I think is causing this confusion.

It does make Pelosi's position on this even more strange though.

AOC/Tlaib/Pressley/Omar were the only democrats to vote against the House bill. They do buck the conference as a bloc, though they have principled reasons for doing so.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I can't really say that race relations in the USA have gotten worse, it may seem that way when viewing our country from overseas but in reality what's happened is that Trump's presidency has forced a lot of emotions to the surface that people kept hidden from others and themselves. In a strange way I think that it's healthy that we're finally being honest about what the USA has always been even though it's been painful and harmful to so many vulnerable people.

I think a lot of Americans, of all races, have been in denial about the very deep racial issues we have but now for good or bad we're being forced to confront them. The best that we can hope for is to come out of this a more honest and fair country for everyone, even though that looks like it may take generations to achieve with the damage being done to our society in this current wave of right-wing bigotry.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
"bold leadership. commonsense solutions"
The only thing that's bold about the blue dog coalition is the font of the comms director's name in that email