• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The liberal side of the party has the luxury of spouting off on Twitter. The Democrats who have to represent districts that are 50/50 split don't. The liberal side continues to alienate themselves into irrelevancy.

The most important vote a member of Congress makes each session is the one for Speaker. Which is why keeping a majority is so important. The liberals would rather lose the majority than actually come to the table and negotiate. I don't understand how their tactics benefits anyone other than the republicans who are salivating at the thought of taking back those swing districts.

the new freshcongress folk won by being who they are though.. didn't the midterms prove that?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
No.
In the face of what millions of disenfranchised are facing in this administration she shouldn't even have time to winge about this nonsense.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the correct take. It's also a different position than the GOP, in that the FC is an extreme outlier, but for the Dems, the moderate caucus in the House actually lines up pretty close to the ideological makeup of the Senate due to the Senate's conservative lean. And so instead of that caucus being annoying holdouts, they have the opposite problem in the House, where that bloc of the caucus is willing to roll over and just go with whatever the Senate does.
Yeah I was about to say, we have the opposite problem with our freedom caucus: instead of gumming up the works for everyone for the sake if ideological purity, they're too willing to go-along-to-get-along with Senate Republicans.

Oct 26, 2017
The liberal side of the party has the luxury of spouting off on Twitter. The Democrats who have to represent districts that are 50/50 split don't. The liberal side continues to alienate themselves into irrelevancy.

The most important vote a member of Congress makes each session is the one for Speaker. Which is why keeping a majority is so important. The liberals would rather lose the majority than actually come to the table and negotiate. I don't understand how their tactics benefits anyone other than the republicans who are salivating at the thought of taking back those swing districts.

Yea not wanting children to die in cages is really killing the electability of moderates in the party. Guess we can feel good knowing we can hold the majority now that when a child does die we've been promised to be notified in 24 hours. What a great compromise, now we can all sleep better at night.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
It is childish and politicians having Twitter fingers is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

It's strange how those Republicans don't have to compromise their beliefs to win districts the way the Dems do though.

And if the response to that is that those districts are really red then what is the point of any of this? Why bother winning elections if you're more concerned about keeping the seat than doing what's right?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're such a disingenuous lap dog insit's insane. Acting like this wasnt spurned by AoC (and others) to excuse this bullshit is so fucking pathetic.
Ah yes, I'm a disingenuous lap dog for having reading comprehension and trusting that Politico has reputable sources.
It's strange how those Republicans don't have to compromise their beliefs to win districts the way the Dems do though.

And if the response to that is that those districts are really red then what is the point of any of this? Why bother winning elections if you're more concerned about keeping the seat than doing what's right?
The GOP keeps taking Ls due to not being willing to compromise. The Tea Party proved to be a disaster for the GOP in the last decade, as they repeatedly throw away winnable seats in exchange for ideological purity.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I would understand her point if she hadn't publicly blasted the progressive Dems just the other day.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Remember y'all, its important to keep the blue dogs even if that means doing nothing for the rest of existence
I can't track it down but I saw the following image where someone replaced fireworks with "class conflict" and put a "proud liberal" sticker on the doggie

da45d60df0d8970cbc90187a728aee19.jpg

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
It's obvious that Pelosi's playing a long game since she sees the potential of Dems controlling both sides of Congress and the executive branch come 2020. But she needs centrists and the Blue Dogs to win again come 2020 for that to happen which is why she's being so conservative right now and chiding everyone who's being critical of their own party. She doesn't want to lose leverage over the Blue Dogs by twisting their arms right now when she doesn't get anything out of it.

She's waiting for 2020 to see where things end up. if Dems sweep 2020, then I expect her to start whipping Blue Dogs to get progressive laws passed.

The issue is though, she has a terrible tone problem that drives literally everybody up the wall by being so patronizing and snippy in her admonishing progressives, who are completely morally right in what they're saying.

At any rate, 2020 can't be here soon enough.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I would understand her point if she hadn't publicly blasted the Dems publicly just the other day.
This. Days ago she was lampooning AOC & Co. for communicating with consituents via Twitter in that "bleh new technology tone". Now suddenly she cares about it and about being nice to the least principled members of the citizenry. Gimme a damn break, Pelosi.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's obvious that Pelosi's playing a long game since she sees the potential of Dems controlling both sides of Congress and the executive branch come 2020. But she needs centrists and the Blue Dogs to win again come 2020 for that to happen which is why she's being so conservative right now and chiding everyone who's being critical of their own party. She doesn't want to lose leverage over the Blue Dogs by twisting their arms right now when she doesn't get anything out of it.

She's waiting for 2020 to see where things end up. if Dems sweep 2020, then I expect her to start whipping Blue Dogs to get progressive laws passed.

The issue is though, she has a terrible tone problem that drives literally everybody up the wall by being so patronizing and snippy in her admonishing progressives, who are completely morally right in what they're saying.

Spoiler alert: she doesn't have a long game.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Ah yes, I'm a disingenuous lap dog for having reading comprehension and trusting that Politico has reputable sources.

The GOP keeps taking Ls due to not being willing to compromise. The Tea Party proved to be a disaster for the GOP in the last decade, as they repeatedly throw away winnable seats in exchange for ideological purity.
"Some Democrats interpret as a response to x and y" doesn't prevent it from also applying to z. It's a general statement which Pelosi's staff confirms is not directed only at x and y, per the very same article.

So yes, disingenuous lap dog twisting a couple indefinite interpretations as the sole scope to fit your narrative.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
the new freshcongress folk won by being who they are though.. didn't the midterms prove that?
Except many of those House Dem freshmen and women are the moderates, not progressives.

funny thing about this whole dynamic is that a lot of these blue dogs didn't even vote for Pelosi for speaker.

Oct 25, 2017
This would have more weight if Pelosi didn't bash her own house members in interviews.

But you know what? The dem party NEEDS to go through this. This sort of pushback and fight needs to happen.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If her party is so fragile that we cannot agree that children dying in concentration camps is a bad thing, then this party is worthless.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
"Some Democrats interpret as a response to x and y" doesn't prevent it from also applying to z. It's a general statement which Pelosi's staff confirms is not directed only at x and y, per the very same article.

So yes, disingenuous lap dog twisting a couple indefinite interpretations as the sole scope to fit your narrative.
it's not disingenuous to cite the article that this thread is about. It's literally the purpose of why this thread exists in the first place. And it's worth pointing out because most of the people rushing into this thread probably have no idea who Mark Pocan is.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
While I agree with the Progressive arm of the party, it kind of sucks that this is happening right now. A divided party in the face of an election this important really isn't what I want to see.

You can say it out loud, we are probably fucked if we don't fix and address this. We all know these elections don't come down to poplar vote so...

Don't like Pelosi at all, but when has condemning people on Twitter for their vote or not chosing a side ever did anything? You see people in here getting mad at her for doing THE SAME THING WITHIN THE PARTY. It's almost meta, except she isn't trying to prove a point.

People on this very website never respond well to being called out on simple discussions about games and movies lmfao. But expect people to give a shit what you have to say when you attack their personal beliefs and politics call them "child abusers" or come at centrist the way they do. This is not comparable to movents of the past now because everyone has a voice. No one is going to respond to this. On the flip her alternative is garbage.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Then maybe she should do her job and stop shiting on folks who are actually trying to do something.

She did. It is not the outcome we wanted but Pelosi has made her play and as long as she has the support of the majority then what the progressives think doesn't matter based on how power is presently divided in the party. Hopefully soon the dynamics will change but I highly doubt it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You want to explain why it's ok for Pelosi to attack her own colleagues?
Is Pelosi suddenly going out and calling Pressley or AOC "anti-American communists" or something? Sniping/venting frustrations from the left end of the caucus towards the middle, middle towards the left, members towards leadership, leadership towards members, etc. - that's all going to happen and is normal. We just had Tilab and Pelosi's staff sourced in a NYT article on that topic regarding the recent funding bill and the breakdown of the House's negotiating position. Per the article, there was a specific issue Pelosi was subtweeting.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
They won in districts that allowed a liberal to win. You think Susie Lee will get re-elected on the same platform at AOC? Not a chance in hell.

Now, for those liberal districts electing a more moderate, yes, I think those folks have all the reason to be called out. They aren't representing their constituents accurately. But to attack a moderate who represents a moderate constituency is pure lunacy and terrible politics. And how you lose the majority.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
Pelosi is stuck in her old ways. The freshmen congress men and women are shaping the way of the future.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's true. The Democrats will lose again if they splinter like this, and you'll get four more years of Trump. They need to unite, take 2020, then figure the rest of this out.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017

Sure they do. Many moderate republicans ran on a a silent trump platform. Most of them lost which left behind mainly far right crazy assholes to toe the republican line.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Making an inaccurate inference from that citation is. Kirblar did not simply "cite" the article, he twisted it to shut down an opposing valid interpretation that his "citation" does not in fact support.
the inference was made by the Dems who attended the meeting and spoke to Politico, not by people who read the article.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
If her party is so fragile that we cannot agree that children dying in concentration camps is a bad thing, then this party is worthless.
I think every Democrat thinks children dying in concentration camps is a bad thing. The disagreements come in how best to stop it. Centrists think throwing money blindly at it is a solution. (it's not, I agree with everyone that funding concentration camps is bad)

The party is fragile only in their ability to maintain control. There's only a handful of seats separating Republican control and Democrat control and I think her biggest worry are those few seats and she's trying to not rock the boat so much that those seats are lost and Republicans retake the House next year.

I don't agree with how she's executing that strategy whatsoever, but I'm also not the one in her position. I also don't think anyone else could be as effective in balancing all this as Speaker than her without tanking their reputations. She's the perfect receptacle for all this criticism as her seat is completely safe and she doesn't have any other political goals in her career.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You spelt selective reading wrong. Politico stated in the article that this was a meeting following her spat with AoC. But heres a treat for the good boy kirblar.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Pelosi suddenly going out and calling Pressley or AOC "anti-American communists" or something? Sniping/venting frustrations from the left end of the caucus towards the middle, middle towards the left, members towards leadership, leadership towards members, etc. - that's all going to happen and is normal. We just had Tilab and Pelosi's staff sourced in a NYT article on that topic regarding the recent funding bill and the breakdown of the House's negotiating position. Per the article, there was a specific issue Pelosi was subtweeting.

Pelosi pulled a bill out of her ass to put down Ilhan Omar and threw her under a bus (which I guess is better than Schumer who openly mocked her). So yeah I'd still put that on a higher level than "mean tweets".

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
She has a point, though it's at risk of being lost given that she publicly denigrates the progressive members with disappointing regularity.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't get to blast other people in public like this and expect them not get pissed off or ignore it and vote with your. That isn't just how politics work. That's not how fucking life works. If someone I worked with blasted me on twitter or facebook I damn well wouldn't be smiling in their face the next day at work or even want to work with them.

It goes both ways. If you went to another department to fund a security project that facilitates child abuse when your colleagues in your department have a similar project that doesn't, you clearly didn't respect your coworkers much in the first place and aren't particularly deserving of respect yourself.

When AOC runs for Presi, she should fund her own party.

A) It is incredibly unhealthy for a country to only ever have two relevant parties and
B) The democrat party at this point can only be a bandaid, not a solution to the core problems of the US.

I take it you're not American, because this is a horrible idea that suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of how the system works. Running as a third party would guarantee her failure.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's asking progressive house members not to call out or blast fell democratic members in public over topics. Which is what some are doing. Blast conseratives all the want. You don't attack the very people that will be your allies. That is a big problem many of the left have. I've said so in the past. It is beyond stupid to be protesting house members, leadership or even those running for President when they actually support your topics.

... but Pelosi has given several high-profile interviews in 2019 excoriating her fellow Dem reps, and she's leader of the party. So this is just rank hypocrisy; Pelosi trying to silence progressive WOC who have large public platforms, meanwhile she fires shots all the time at them, and even brought a bill to the floor targeting Ilhan Omar.

Left unity isn't a one-way street. Fuck that.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Yea not wanting children to die in cages is really killing the electability of moderates in the party. Guess we can feel good knowing we can hold the majority now that when a child does die we've been promised to be notified in 24 hours. What a great compromise, now we can all sleep better at night.

This "think about the children" angle does not work man. I'm sorry but it doesn't. I think it's an atrocity as well. However, they will see it as you trying to manipulate them and their vote more so than you actually altruistically caring for these children. This political guilt tripping is what sends some people off to the other end. Some people are worth swaying some aren't. This is the truth.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

And Ilhan Omar brought it on herself by hiring a comms person you don't like, amirite?