• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Some of the comments on the first page should tell you all you need to know. I like Nancy and she's being very strategic and the only adult in the room when her colleagues are working hard to make a Trump second term a reality. She's chipping at Trump piece by piece and most people just go on about screaming.

Meanwhile, there are a ton of sane, angry people on social media that are mad at Nancy for not doing her job of impeaching Trump on her social media pages like on Twitter.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What's the polling among Democrats for medicare for all?

What's the polling among democrats on money in politics?

What's the polling among democrats on concentration camps?

The major reason that Democrat politicians skew right on such issues relative to constituents nationwide is corruption.

No, the reason why the median Democrat is slightly to the right is because the average Congressional district is skewed to the right, thanks to the urban/rural divide, and then, many districts that Democrat's won in 2018 were gerrymandered to be for Republican's, and thus, were even more to the right of what should be the median district.

As for polling, giving Medicare for All to undocumented immigrant polls pretty terrible, and in addition, well many people who voted for Democrat's in 2018 don't like the conditions the kids are currently in, they don't like the comparison to concentration camps and they also don't think the way to fix the issue is simply just to let people free in the country. So yes, among the median voter, the polling on "should we put families in detention centers together while they wait for asylum" probably polls pretty damn high.

The Democratic Electorate on Twitter isn't the Democratic Electorate in Real Life, as Bernie's continued failure in the polls continues to show, there's a vast world of Democrat's out there outside of a few very Democratic House districts and incredibly white and middle class DSA meetings.

Also, as far as money in politics goes, most Democrats I know have the same opinion of people who are sending donation after donation of money to Bernie - the system needs to be reformed, but that's no reason to unilaterally disarm. I highly doubt if Bernie's somehow the nominee, he'll just take the paltry public financing amount and nothing more. He'll continue to be shilling for those $27 donations.

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017
Oof. Can't help but think that the implication of AOC's latest comment about Pelosi seemingly only targeting WOC is not going to end well for her. Nancy is now forced to respond, and will likely ask, "Do you think I'm a racist?" which will have AOC backpedaling immediately. All kind of disingenuous people, republicans especially, will rally to Nancy's defense.

Yes, Pelosi was caught being a 'do as I say, not as I do' hypocrite, but how long is this spat going to go on? Who does this serve?

Karan S'jet

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 9, 2019
Nancy Pelosi reminds me of all those racist old white ladies I've met when visiting the US. She even went out to say "All Lives Matter" recently:

Last edited:

Karan S'jet

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 9, 2019
The US is so fundamentally far-right that the Republicans are nazis and the Democrats are conservatives. I don't know how people can support the Democrats the way they are.

Right now the Democrats like Pelosi and her supporters here and elsewhere might as well be called nazi collaborators.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
The Republicans are literally building concentration camps, fraternizing with Nazis and Confederates and other sworn enemies of the U.S., condoning sexual assault and hate crimes, and killing Americans by the thousands for profit. If you're still a "centrist" at this juncture, you're OK with all this.

So, no. I wasn't a single issue voter until fascism became an issue. Now, Nancy Pelosi, kindly go fuck yourself.
She's talking about house members, not the public, but that won't stop people from not reading the article.
It hardly matters at this point. Her latest capitulation was so inept, so humiliating, and so self-emasculating that no tweet could do any more damage. She's just patting herself on the back for making matters worse, then turning around and blaming progressives. She's always done this -- stab progressives in the back, and then blame them.

IOW, same Nancy Pelosi we all remember back during the Dumbya years. Folks saying the context matters don't realize she's been this way for decades, and old folks like me are sick of her shit. Like, really sick of her shit.

Last edited:

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
No, the reason why the median Democrat is slightly to the right is because the average Congressional district is skewed to the right, thanks to the urban/rural divide, and then, many districts that Democrat's won in 2018 were gerrymandered to be for Republican's, and thus, were even more to the right of what should be the median district.

As for polling, giving Medicare for All to undocumented immigrant polls pretty terrible, and in addition, well many people who voted for Democrat's in 2018 don't like the conditions the kids are currently in, they don't like the comparison to concentration camps and they also don't think the way to fix the issue is simply just to let people free in the country. So yes, among the median voter, the polling on "should we put families in detention centers together while they wait for asylum" probably polls pretty damn high.

The Democratic Electorate on Twitter isn't the Democratic Electorate in Real Life, as Bernie's continued failure in the polls continues to show, there's a vast world of Democrat's out there outside of a few very Democratic House districts and incredibly white and middle class DSA meetings.

Also, as far as money in politics goes, most Democrats I know have the same opinion of people who are sending donation after donation of money to Bernie - the system needs to be reformed, but that's no reason to unilaterally disarm. I highly doubt if Bernie's somehow the nominee, he'll just take the paltry public financing amount and nothing more. He'll continue to be shilling for those $27 donations.

This is a pretty good understanding of politics as they are, and the vast majority of Leftists do not deny any of this. Where it fails is that most Leftists wish to take the gamble of flaking off the loosely-attached center-right moderates and trying to activate the 50+% of the country that DOESN'T vote by making politics look less like a minor rearrangement of furniture and genuinely offering a transformative path forward.

The acceptance of non-voters as forever non-voting is, I think, one of the more frustrating and probably insuperable divides.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's hope something better rises from the ashes of the current democratic party.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Moderates only use social issues as a shield when convinient.

When we have literal concentration camps with brown people dying and getting abused in our own soil they make excuses .

The hypocrisy is outstanding

to people like Jesse, the primary role of minorities is to make them feel good about themselves, their own wokeness, and their partisan loyalty to the Democratic Party. When minorities fail to do these things, you can do whatever you like to them

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The underlying message of "Pelosi can criticize the Squad whenever she wants but they need to watch their words" from these neolib defenders is a) absolute horseshit and b) something minorities have had to deal with for decades. It's all more of the same.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

The last paragraph shows you fundamentally misunderstand the program. Shilling for small donations from average constituents is OK. You become accountable to them. Shilling for large donations from rich donors is not OK. You become disproportionately accountable to them.

If your premise above is true, then why are many senators in blue states center left or worse? Feinstein accurately represents the average California Democrat? Please. It's the money lebowski

Mar 16, 2019
Interesting how Pelosi considers centrist dems untouchable, but is perfectly fine throwing Ilhan Omar under the bus and publicly bashing AOC and other progressive dems

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Interesting how Pelosi considers centrist dems untouchable, but is perfectly fine throwing Ilhan Omar under the bus and publicly bashing AOC and other progressive dems

especially since, as has been widely noted, the Josh Gottheimers of the world have objectively been more of an obstacle to her leadership and ability to pass legislation than Pelosi's left flank has. But she's okay with letting them dictate the priorities of the entire caucus, evidently

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
especially since, as has been widely noted, the Josh Gottheimers of the world have objectively been more of an obstacle to her leadership and ability to pass legislation. But she's okay with letting them dictate the priorities of the entire caucus, evidently
Which would lead people to the reasonable conclusion that she isn't as progressive as people here like to push

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the comments on the first page should tell you all you need to know. I like Nancy and she's being very strategic and the only adult in the room when her colleagues are working hard to make a Trump second term a reality. She's chipping at Trump piece by piece and most people just go on about screaming.
There's no evidence to support the bolded. Its what yourself and others wish to believe based on treating politics like fandom/stan culture.

The words used are the words always used, and they're telling and they're ugly: old career white woman is the only strategic adult... meaning the younger black and brown women are screaming non-strategic children.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
This is a pretty good understanding of politics as they are, and the vast majority of Leftists do not deny any of this. Where it fails is that most Leftists wish to take the gamble of flaking off the loosely-attached center-right moderates and trying to activate the 50+% of the country that DOESN'T vote by making politics look less like a minor rearrangement of furniture and genuinely offering a transformative path forward.

The acceptance of non-voters as forever non-voting is, I think, one of the more frustrating and probably insuperable divides.
It's pretty difficult to look at where things are in this country and not get the general impression that ultimately the Dems and GOP want the same thing; as small of a voting base as possible.

The GOP does it through voter suppression and Gerrymandering and the Dems do it by driving away anyone hungry for change.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Pelosi only listening to the DINOs in her party and getting played to weaken her own positions

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I wonder if Pelosi would be acting different if the freshman 4 were white men instead of POC.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Bernie can make inroads in non-Blue places then there is no reason why the Democratic Party shouldn't support more left-leaning candidates.

The reason why they don't is corruption and their wealthy donors are more important than their constituents. It's telling they want to ban all firms working with any challengers from the left.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Closed door meetings.

4th dimensional Chess the voters can't comprehend.

Everything covered in mystery.

Every move needs to be explained by Stan's.

"Strategic masterminds"

etc etc.

Dems will lose against Trump again. People want transparent politicians. Note some wannabe art of war bullshit.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Remember in the early days of the term when people assured us Pelosi and the progressives were working in tandem?

lmao

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Closed door meetings.

4th dimensional Chess the voters can't comprehend.

Everything covered in mystery.

Every move needs to be explained by Stan's.

"Strategic masterminds"

etc etc.

Dems will lose against Trump again. People want transparent politicians. Note some wannabe art of war bullshit.

This tweet terms it nicely

This is Beltway Brain. A totally pervasive, consuming cynicism. Oh, you thought we had rule of law? Actually, we have gamed out political scenarios and a blasé attitude toward right and wrong. People read takes like this and come away feeling despair. DC elites thrive on despair.

If you find out that your congressperson is a sufferer of beltway brain, it is imperative to help them out of this disease. For the sake of our civilization.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oof. Can't help but think that the implication of AOC's latest comment about Pelosi seemingly only targeting WOC is not going to end well for her. Nancy is now forced to respond, and will likely ask, "Do you think I'm a racist?" which will have AOC backpedaling immediately. All kind of disingenuous people, republicans especially, will rally to Nancy's defense.

Yes, Pelosi was caught being a 'do as I say, not as I do' hypocrite, but how long is this spat going to go on? Who does this serve?

Conservatives and Republicans suddenly coming to Pelosi's defense would speak volumes.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I don't give a fuck who hates who. The Dems need to get their shit together and take the power back. Then they can throw each other under the bus. I hate all career politicians, but the Republicans in power need to go no matter what.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
And that prevents us from attempting to challenge the ones who are in safe districts how?
Those districts are very likely blue because of the positions they take. Go to far to the left in some areas and you open the door for a republican to sneak in. Not all blue districts are equal. A NYC blue district is going to be different, sometimes very different from a solid Ohio blue district for example. That non-NYC district could easily go red if certain things happen.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
This is why I can't stand a Presidental political system. It's forcing disparate interests from center-right to the left into the beast of a party called "Democrats" and as a result there's constant bickering and no one is ever happy.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those districts are very likely blue because of the positions they take. Go to far to the left in some areas and you open the door for a republican to sneak in. Not all blue districts are equal. A NYC blue district is going to be different, sometimes very different from a solid Ohio blue district for example. That non-NYC district could easily go red if certain things happen.

I thought these were "safe districts"? Unless you're saying with a straight face that people in California will vote for Republican if a candidate is too far left?

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

There's no real proof of this. If you're in a D+10 or higher district, you're likely getting elected regardless of your stances.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I thought these were "safe districts"? Unless you're saying with a straight face that people in California will vote for Republican if a candidate is too far left?
Maybe depending where you are in Cali and the republican running and how they compare with the Dem. There are red districts in California. Fewer and fewer I believe but they are there. I believe they didn't all turn blue because all the Dems were really far left either.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe depending where you are in Cali and the republican running and how they compare with the Dem. There are red districts in California. Fewer and fewer I believe but they are there. I believe they didn't all turn blue because all the Dems were really far left either.

I can't believe what I'm reading. The threat and power of Republicans are apparently so powerful than any and all districts must kotow exclusively to them to the detriment to their own party because apparently the democratic ideals are so purely despised that any attempt to go there will result in democrats running to the republicans.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I can't believe what I'm reading. The threat and power of Republicans are apparently so powerful than any and all districts must kotow exclusively to them to the detriment to their own party because apparently the democratic ideals are so purely despised that any attempt to go there will result in democrats running to the republicans.
Well we're quickly arriving at the point where anyone under the age of forty has no idea of what it was like to exist in an America that isn't a post-Reagan-era conservative dystopia. I was really young myself when Carter was president so I haven't a clue as to what he and the Democrats did to scar the country to point that liberalism is like cannibalism and incest rolled into one. Maybe it's best that we never know.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why anybody would think this would be okay in the first place. That is very unprofessional, and makes the entire Democratic party look unorganized and uncoordinated.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
She's also not saying don't criticize. Shes saying dont blast your colleagues on twitter.... which is pretty standard protocol for professionals in pretty much every other line of work.
Politics isn't "every other line of work", though. Transparency & arguing about policies is a key factor of a functional democracy. If some centrist democrats are siding with republicans on child concentration camps, that should be brought up & criticized publicly.