• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently AOC, a very visible minority and proud Latina, only mentions she's Latina when convenient. Riiiiiiiiight. And Lacy Clay's Challenger was a Black woman, Cori Bush.

I need to read up on the CBC before I start trash talking but the fact that a group of some Black folks only see freedom within the parameters laid down by the Democratic Party, Inc, is concerning. These old ninjas were around for The Black Panthers, peak MLK, Stokely Carmichael etc... Bernie and JD seem more in line with those type of politics than whatever the Democratic Party is right now.
Will donate to Cori Bush next paycheck. Already donated to three other JD endorsed candidates. Joe Crowely, Henry Cuellar, Dan Lipinski, Eliot Engel, etc. You have to be a shitty ass democrat if the JDs picked you as a target, so the same is probably true of Lacy Clay.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I haven't read the thread but I read here in Belgium that AOC is hinting that Pelosi is a racist. Is that true?
Because on what base does AOC say this?

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read the thread but I read here in Belgium that AOC is hinting that Pelosi is a racist. Is that true?

NO, AOC said that Pelosi was talking and targeting in an interview four women of color. AOC meant that women of color hear this kind of thing all the time, not that Pelosi was specifically a racist.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
What she said is that Pelosi has made it a point to single out the new progressive WoC in her causus for criticism as opposed to the largely white, male members of the "problem solvers" caucus that have actually been blocking Pelosi's agenda and it's difficult to argue with that assessment.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
NO, AOC said that Pelosi was talking and targeting in an interview four women of color. AOC meant that women of color hear this kind of thing all the time, not that Pelosi was specifically a racist.
But given that Pelosi personally called up a white dude who insulted Dems harsher than AOC and co. did and apologized to him, one could surmise that Pelosi is in fact racist.

Edit: and yeah the whole problem solvers thing as well, but that one may also be due to ideological leanings

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
To be honest I don't understand it. What do women of color always hear?
And why did AOC specifically said chosen colored women (according to Belgian media)? Why bring race into this? I don't get it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
And why did AOC specifically said chosen colored women (according to Belgian media)? Why bring race into this? I don't get it.
Because race is undeniably a part of it

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
White Wealthy comfy elites telling young progressive people of color to know their place.

Know your place when you fight against having concentration camps with brown people in them.

But of course, partisans will defend Pelosi. I truly wonder why.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
"Why bring race into this?"

Race is always a part of it. Nobody has to "bring it in." Thousands of old white ladies aren't being held at the border.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

"Know your place" is a very common micro aggression against POC, especially women.

It's not implying that Pelosi is particularly racist. This is a very common racist action.

White people are deciding and enabling the detention of people of color in concentration camps. "Why bring race into this?"

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
What she said is that Pelosi has made it a point to single out the new progressive WoC in her causus for criticism as opposed to the largely white, male members of the "problem solvers" caucus that have actually been blocking Pelosi's agenda and it's difficult to argue with that assessment.
That is all fine. But why make it a racial thing? I think Pelosi wants that these women talk first to her (according to the piece I read)instead of going to twitter first.
And I agree it is hurting AOC case and the Democrats. It is better to work on a strategy together. And I don't feel that this is happening.
Because race is undeniably a part of it
Why? What is the proof of that?
"Why bring race into this?"

Race is always a part of it. Nobody has to "bring it in." Thousands of old white ladies aren't being held at the border.
Yeah but AOC is making it a sort of racial thing against her and her squad not the immigrants because she is criticized by Pelosi, that is my understanding anyway.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
"Know your place" is a very common micro aggression against POC, especially women.

It's not implying that Pelosi is particularly racist. This is a very common racist action.

White people are deciding and enabling the detention of people of color in concentration camps. "Why bring race into this?"
Surely not only white people are deciding and enabling this (I could be wrong)?
Can you point where Pelosi said that these women need to know their place?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is all fine. But why make it a racial thing? I think Pelosi wants that these women talk first to her (according to the piece I read)instead of going to twitter first.
And I agree it is hurting AOC case and the Democrats. It is better to work on a strategy together. And I don't feel that this is happening.

Yeah but AOC is making it a sort of racial thing against her and her squad not the immigrants because she is criticized by Pelosi, that is my understanding anyway.

Because she says she "just wants to talk" but then will go on a paper article to dismiss them. At best she's given a mixed message.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017

Pelosi demands subservience from progressive people of color. Then she turns around and shows deference to centrists who empower racists.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Because she apologized to a white dude who called some dems the child abuse caucus and not pelosi and the 3 other racial/ethnic minority progressives.

That's ignoring everything else about it as well and your myopic view on race.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
AOC's Chief of Staff compared moderate dems to the old Southern Democrats. That is what pissed off Pelosi and the CBC more than anything AOC herself said.

And yeah, it makes sense that black democrats would be pissed off being compared to segregationalist Democrats. And would take it up with AOC because her staff said it.

But I still agree that JD should keep primarying any weak dem, CBC members included. They have needed new blood anyway.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You are an outsider asking Americans what's up, then you want to deny it's a race thing when they tell you what's up.

It's always about race in America and it's not minorities who put race at issue, it's White Americans. White Americans have a problem seeing non-White people lead or seeing them in a position of power. It makes White folks uncomfortable, generally. Pelosi faces more opposition at work from other white Democrats yet goes out of her way to single out four progressive minority women, consistently. Since AOC won she's been downplaying her victory.

Dems serve the rich and cater to middle class White people, so targeting the Squad publicly puts loud uppity Women of Color in their place (+1 for White Americans) , and attacking left flankers appeases their wealthy donors.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Because she says she "just wants to talk" but then will go on a paper article to dismiss them. At best she's given a mixed message.
Couldn't that both be true? Like she is saying that she doesn't like that they first go on Twitter instead of talking to her first. How to proceed with the matter. And she is dismissing their methods. I have said it before. It seems like the Democrats lack strategy and cohesion to go forward on policy. I think they would be far more powerful if they got together.

Pelosi demands subservience from progressive people of color. Then she turns around and shows deference to centrists who empower racists.
Where does she demand subservience? And why do you say from progressive people of color? Is she not demanding it from everyone? I would not call it subservience, I call it coming out with one voice to get the most impact (and that they together need to decide what strategy that is).That's what leaders normally should do, and that is trying to come out with one voice and strategy. You surely cannot fault her for that.
Because she apologized to a white dude who called some dems the child abuse caucus and not pelosi and the 3 other racial/ethnic minority progressives.

That's ignoring everything else about it as well and your myopic view on race.
To be honest I think that Pelosi saw that the situation was at a breaking point and if she wouldn't go forward with the bill then the Democrats would be blamed for the deaths and harsh situation where they are living in. The people would point at the Democrats because they don't want to give the money to help these people.
I don't know why you say this "That's ignoring everything else about it as well and your myopic view on race." In what way am I shortsighted?
And I don't know anything about a white dude.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
You don't have to be a hateful racist like Trump to have implicit biases. AOC is noting the fact that Pelosi seems to always have something negative to say about her and the other new Representatives whenever asked for comment yet at the same time Pelosi reacts they with this "unity" response when they clap back at her in kind.

Now there could be a lot of different reasons for why Pelosi would choose to single them out for special treatment and why Pelosi doesn't seem to notice that she herself engages in exactly the behavior she expects others to avoid but if you see a specific pattern of behavior over time is it wrong to speculate on what those possible reasons are or are we supposed to leave race as the last possible choice because it makes folks uncomfortable to bring that up?

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is opening eyes as to what a lot of the Democratic Party is comprised of. Pull left and they have no problem being racist.

Ironically, this is the same stuff they accused Bernie of. "He doesn't have the interests of minorities at heart!" Now it's clear who really doesn't have the interests of minorities at heart.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
To be honest I think that Pelosi saw that the situation was at a breaking point and if she wouldn't go forward with the bill then the Democrats would be blamed for the deaths and harsh situation where they are living in. The people would point at the Democrats because they don't want to give the money to help these people.
I don't know why you say this "That's ignoring everything else about it as well and your myopic view on race." In what way am I shortsighted?
I mentioned the "white dude" like three times now. If you knew what was going on with Pocano (which I and others mentioned in the thread) then you wouldn't be making some of these judgements. You're shortsighted in the fact that you don't seem to understand how racial relations actually work, especially in America. You're arguing with multiple people who are giving you counter examples and you're just going off your gut feelings and a few scattered news reports.

This is not just about the border bill, this has been going on for months.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't that both be true? Like she is saying that she doesn't like that they first go on Twitter instead of talking to her first. How to proceed with the matter. And she is dismissing their methods. I have said it before. It seems like the Democrats lack strategy and cohesion to go forward on policy. I think they would be far more powerful if they got together.

Where does she demand subservience? And why do you say from progressive people of color? Is she not demanding it from everyone? I would not call it subservience, I call it coming out with one voice to get the most impact (and that they together need to decide what strategy that is).That's what leaders normally should do, and that is trying to come out with one voice and strategy. You surely cannot fault her for that.

At this point you just need to read a book. It's clear from you posts and responses in this thread that you don't actually understand what racism is but in the midst of you demanding that people explain what's racist about this story you're simultaneously shooting down any and all retorts.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
You are an outsider asking Americans what's up, then you want to deny it's a race thing when they tell you what's up.

It's always about race in America and it's not minorities who put race at issue, it's White Americans. White Americans have a problem seeing non-White people lead or seeing them in a position of power. It makes White folks uncomfortable, generally. Pelosi faces more opposition at work from other white Democrats yet goes out of her way to single out four progressive minority women, consistently. Since AOC won she's been downplaying her victory.

Dems serve the rich and cater to middle class White people, so targeting the Squad publicly puts loud uppity Women of Color in their place (+1 for White Americans) , and attacking left flankers appeases their wealthy donors.
Yeah I get the sense that everything is being looked at in the lens of race.
I have never heard about these centrist white people and that gives a good indication. AOC and the other progressives are very good at social media. I haven't heard about these centrists. So to me it says that they aren't as successful on twitter.
I really don't think Pelosi means it in a racial way. It is because these progressives are very vocal and draw fire from lots of people.
AOC and the squad is making their point to the public a bit like Trump is making his point to the public by twitter. I think that Pelosi wants to have a more coherent message spoken with one voice. And then AOC and such can drive that policy by Twitter.
I am white and to be honest I am becoming fearful in such a topic because everything is looking in a lens of black of white. I fear that I say something wrong that I don't know about. I see people just as people. And I don't care about their color. To me we are all the same.

Oct 27, 2017
Whether you like it or not, in America, white people need to stop acting like race and racial issues aren't a thing. So, this 'race card' thing, that in itself is racist. America was founded on the backs of subjugated people of color and there still exists an unsaid, accepted caste system where white people are automatically on top. White people that get upset about this need to look deep inside themselves to recognize how they treat people of color differently. That's racism. It's not putting on a hood and burning crosses racism, but it's still very harmful.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I have never heard about these centrist white people and that gives a good indication. AOC and the other progressives are very good at social media. I haven't heard about these centrists. So to me it says that they aren't as successful on twitter.
I really don't think Pelosi means it in a racial way. It is because these progressives are very vocal and draw fire from lots of people.
AOC and the squad is making their point to the public a bit like Trump is making his point to the public by twitter. I think that Pelosi wants to have a more coherent message spoken with one voice. And then AOC and such can drive that policy by Twitter.
I am white and to be honest I am becoming fearful in such a topic because everything is looking in a lens of black of white. I fear that I say something wrong that I don't know about. I see people just as people. And I don't care about their color. To me we are all the same.
I guess that it's possible that you missed the thread that proceeded this one but the only reason AOC had anything to say about this on Twitter was because Pelosi gave an interview to a newspaper criticizing AOC and the other 3 Representatives for their opposition to the border bill and doing it a way that was incredibly disrespectful and dismissive of their concerns. If that had been an isolated incident I don't think there would have been this kind of controversy but unfortunately Pelosi has been treating them like this for months now and they do deserve a better explanation for that than "they not centrists".

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

Pelosi called up Pocan, a guy who called 20+ members child abusers that resulted in a heated verbal fight on the floor of the House, to apologize to him for people thinking she was targeting him. She said she didn't even know about the tweet, so apparently she doesn't care if a white guy insults members over Twitter.

But she keeps attacking AOC and the other three.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

Ah, you're fearful. Now imagine how it is being a PoC that has to deal with racist shit every day from people who see a lot of color.

I guess that it's possible that you missed the thread that proceeded this one but the only reason AOC had anything to say about this on Twitter was because Pelosi gave an interview to a newspaper criticizing AOC and the other 3 Representatives for their opposition to the border bill and doing it a way that was incredibly disrespectful and dismissive of their concerns. If that had been an isolated incident I don't think there would have been this kind of controversy but unfortunately Pelosi has been treating them like this for months now and they do deserve a better explanation for that than "they not centrists".

This is nothing new. Here's my post detailing Rashida's concerns about leadership using PoC as props and nothing more back when Pelosi was throwing Ilhan Omar under the wheels of the racist bus.

Yep. This isn't some new thing. Pelosi has been doing this for months.

So true. They're just props. And when they decide to speak out amidst this wave of fascism and evil, they're essentially told to know their place and stfu. While the more conservative members get to freely lob bombs at them and shit on basically all progressive ideals using the exact same language

Shameful shit.

Oct 27, 2017

This.
Whether you like it or not, in America, white people need to stop acting like race and racial issues aren't a thing. So, this 'race card' thing, that in itself is racist. America was founded on the backs of subjugated people of color and there still exists an unsaid, accepted caste system where white people are automatically on top. White people that get upset about this need to look deep inside themselves to recognize how they treat people of color differently. That's racism. It's not putting on a hood and burning crosses racism, but it's still very harmful.
This.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I mentioned the "white dude" like three times now. If you knew what was going on with Pocano (which I and others mentioned in the thread) then you wouldn't be making some of these judgements. You're shortsighted in the fact that you don't seem to understand how racial relations actually work, especially in America. You're arguing with multiple people who are giving you counter examples and you're just going off your gut feelings and a few scattered news reports.

This is not just about the border bill, this has been going on for months.
I know that Omar was critisized about her words on Israel and also the Twin Towers. And I know it is bubbling for a while now.
At this point you just need to read a book. It's clear from you posts and responses in this thread that you don't actually understand what racism is but in the midst of you demanding that people explain what's racist about this story you're simultaneously shooting down any and all retorts.
I don't live in the US. And it seems like I don't get the situation. Many times when I read here we don't seem to talk anymore in names of individuals but only in the generalization of black and white and now also old and young.
I know the history of the US broadly. But that is very different as living there.
This I don't understand "but in the midst of you demanding that people explain what's racist about this story you're simultaneously shooting down any and all retorts.".
I have said that I didn't read the thread but I saw an article here in Belgium. I think that Pelosi targets them solely because they are so vocal on social media and so successful at it. They are successful for a while now. The problem is that there isn't a coherent message in the party and that is both hurting the case and the Democrats.
Pelosi called up Pocan, a guy who called 20+ members child abusers that resulted in a heated verbal fight on the floor of the House, to apologize to him for people thinking she was targeting him. She said she didn't even know about the tweet, so apparently she doesn't care if a white guy insults members over Twitter.

That is very weak from Pelosi. And I think that she is weak. I think that she is afraid that voters will leave the Democrats if they go to far progressive. That's because the US is moderate to conservative. So she needs to balance things out. It is basically a fight of the Democratic party. On how far left or to the center their future will be. And I think that Pelosi thinks that going slowly to the left is better then going faster to the left.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Yep. Completely absurd.

Also is silent when other members attack AOC and co. over Israel and other shit.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Surely not only white people are deciding and enabling this (I could be wrong)?
Can you point where Pelosi said that these women need to know their place?

Sorry but based on these answers it doesn't seem like you are interested in having a discussion in good faith.

The first half is... Yikes. Extend that to other topics like slavery, genocide, the Holocaust, subjugation of women, etc and you'll see how it holds up

Microagressions aren't literal statements. Come on. :/

I'm done replying to you here. Want to continue? PM me.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys I'm Baron Von Adelsdorf of Liechtenstein and as an outsider, knowing absolutely nothing about U.S politics and history, I'm sure I can give valuable input on the topic of race relations in your country.