• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He'll certainly try. I don't think Paramount is as badly run as Archie Comics.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did buff Tails show up in Sonic 2? Maybe I do need to see that movie

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
He try to make a claim that he only can do army wiping super weapons?

The_jMag

Nov 1, 2017
I'm glad we live in a timeline where this bullshit didn't become the basis for the Sonic movie:
latest

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Who the f*** is this Penders guy??
Guy who worked on the Sonic comics back in the day. IIRC, he owns a huge number of characters that first appeared in the comics because Archie Comics couldn't produce his contract during a lawsuit to prove otherwise. Said characters no longer appear in any official Sonic media.

Jean Valjean

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guy who worked on the Sonic comics back in the day. IIRC, he owns a huge number of characters that first appeared in the comics because Archie Comics couldn't produce his contract during a lawsuit to prove otherwise. Said characters no longer appear in any official Sonic media.
Oh, thanks. But, why the hate?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this dude before but he created these characters working for Archie Comics...doesn't that make the characters not his to begin with?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Never heard of this dude before but he created these characters working for Archie Comics...doesn't that make the characters not his to begin with?

The entire kerfuffle was that Archie couldn't actually provide the contract proving that he signed over the rights to his characters, even if they were made under his employment with them, so he sued them and won. The fact that most of his characters were just derivative offshoots of an existing character (almost all of the echidnas in the comic were just "knuckles but with different hair", which is sort of related to this current update) didn't really matter.

There's an alternate universe where Ken Penders would be hailed as a hero for standing up for artist's rights to their creations.

Last edited:

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
He owns a bunch of characters he created in the comics because Archie failed to produce a work for hire contract when he sued them for ownership.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing people find out about Panders is almost worth the annoyance of being reminded of him.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
It's been about a decade since the Archie lawsuit and correct me if I'm wrong but the Lara-Su Chronicles still have yet to materialize as a commercial product. The fact that he's whining about the fact that he supposedly owns the concept of Knuckles having a Dad in 2022 is just mind-boggling. It would make more sense to me if all of his antics were in service of a big Grift but I don't see any money in it for him here. I think he really is just delusional. I don't know if he's bold enough to go after Paramount legally but if he did it's likely that the case would get thrown out on the simple basis that whoever Knuckles' supposed dad is (I haven't seen the movie yet pls no more spoilers) I guarantee it is not Locke (Penders' character). And in the massive unlikelihood that a case were to go to court I would freely bet money that Paramount has their paperwork in better order than Archie.

OP
OP
Magister Xehanort
Sep 5, 2021
I'm surprised that so many people don't know about Penders on resetera, there are already many threads about he in the forum:

www.resetera.com

So what's the deal with Ken Penders? (Sonic comic writer)

I knew him back in the day as one of the main writers of the Sonic comic book for Archie Comics, but apparently he's rather hated among Sonic fans because his lawsuits to maintain ownership of his characters ended up dismantling the comic and causing a reboot and then led to its cancellation. I...
www.resetera.com

Ken Panders the most influential Sonic writer to date, vows to finish The Lara Su Chronicles News - Comics

https://screenrant.com/ken-penders-sonic-comics-lara-su-chronicles-interview/ Normally I wouldn't post Screen Rant as a source, but I can't dictate where the gospel comes from. Right Professor Beef ?
www.resetera.com

This article on Ken Penders' writer is so interesting.

The article If you're not aware of who Ken Penders is, let's just he was a longtime writer for the Sonic Archie comic before finally getting "let go" in 2006, a few years later, he sued for the rights of his characters... and he won. Basically it goes into details about how much he liked the...
www.resetera.com

This is a Ken Penders thread, and a warning it is peak Ken Penders.

So Ken penders is a former artistof the sonic Archie comic, and today this has happened Yes these are real sex questions he anwsered about his run of the Archie sonic comics
www.resetera.com

Article: I read every Sonic comic by Ken Penders, and they’re wilder than you could ever imagine (and 10 weird and wonderful Archie Sonic stories)

With the release of the trailer for Sonic 2 that contains the appearance of Knuckles here is a article I found about Ken Penders comics and although I haven't read the comics, the article is great and I recommend people to read it...

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I'm surprised that so many people don't know about Penders on resetera, there are already many threads about he in the forum:

www.resetera.com

So what's the deal with Ken Penders? (Sonic comic writer)

I knew him back in the day as one of the main writers of the Sonic comic book for Archie Comics, but apparently he's rather hated among Sonic fans because his lawsuits to maintain ownership of his characters ended up dismantling the comic and causing a reboot and then led to its cancellation. I...
www.resetera.com

Ken Panders the most influential Sonic writer to date, vows to finish The Lara Su Chronicles News - Comics

https://screenrant.com/ken-penders-sonic-comics-lara-su-chronicles-interview/ Normally I wouldn't post Screen Rant as a source, but I can't dictate where the gospel comes from. Right Professor Beef ?
www.resetera.com

This article on Ken Penders' writer is so interesting.

The article If you're not aware of who Ken Penders is, let's just he was a longtime writer for the Sonic Archie comic before finally getting "let go" in 2006, a few years later, he sued for the rights of his characters... and he won. Basically it goes into details about how much he liked the...
www.resetera.com

This is a Ken Penders thread, and a warning it is peak Ken Penders.

So Ken penders is a former artistof the sonic Archie comic, and today this has happened Yes these are real sex questions he anwsered about his run of the Archie sonic comics
www.resetera.com

Article: I read every Sonic comic by Ken Penders, and they’re wilder than you could ever imagine (and 10 weird and wonderful Archie Sonic stories)

With the release of the trailer for Sonic 2 that contains the appearance of Knuckles here is a article I found about Ken Penders comics and although I haven't read the comics, the article is great and I recommend people to read it...

There are a lot of threads on ResetEra I don't read.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
His understanding of the ownership seems absolutely bananas.

I want him to sue. I want him to go into court and talk about Chaos Emeralds. It would be fun times.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The entire kerfuffle was that Archie couldn't actually provide the contract proving that he signed over the rights to his characters, even if they were made under his employment with them, so he sued them and won. The fact that most of his characters were just derivative offshoots of an existing character (almost all of the echidnas in the comic were just "knuckles but with different hair", which is sort of related to this current update) didn't really matter.

There's an alternate universe where Ken Penders would be hailed as a hero for standing up for artist's rights to their creations.

It really sucks, y'know? The entire work-for-hire nature of the comics industry is a giant Pandora's box that would annihilate the entire thing if it was opened the way some people (not undeservedly) want, so surely the person who actually succeeded in subverting that exploitation and retaining his creations would be a heroic figure in the industry, right? But instead what we get is this creepy perverted juvenile fucknut who does nothing but sit atop his victories like a dragon atop its gold, clawing like a vulture at anyone who gets even a whiff of his frankly generic ideas. It really should be easy to at least respect him but boy does he make that an impossible task.

Oct 26, 2017
His art is just incredibly bad, how has this guy been able to do comic books and found some reason of success and has been able to sustain himself financially is just beyond comprehension.
I remember having a good laugh at that piece in the last thread about him because I thought it was some sort of piss take, it was only later on that I realized that, no, that actually is art produced by him.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Penders' threads on ERA are always a doozy because of the people who have never heard of this guy before finding out what the hell he's done 🤭

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dear god that man is nothing more than a leech for anything happening to sonic these days.
The frikking gall to see an edchina tribe, something that was already shown in Sonic Adventure, and just go "They are infringing on my ocs that were def not me going through daddy issues!", while also seeing no problems in tracing tracing real ppl in work that he wants to sell...

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
Scourge is a really cool Sonic character, but yeah this is dumb.

If I remember right, he didn't even create Scourge. He created "Evil Sonic" which was just regular Sonic in a pair of sunglasses.

A later writer turned him into an actual character by making him green and giving him the scars and name and personality beyond "Evil," but the character still got voided with the rest of things Penders had ever touched.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It really sucks, y'know? The entire work-for-hire nature of the comics industry is a giant Pandora's box that would annihilate the entire thing if it was opened the way some people (not undeservedly) want, so surely the person who actually succeeded in subverting that exploitation and retaining his creations would be a heroic figure in the industry, right? But instead what we get is this creepy perverted juvenile fucknut who does nothing but sit atop his victories like a dragon atop its gold, clawing like a vulture at anyone who gets even a whiff of his frankly generic ideas. It really should be easy to at least respect him but boy does he make that an impossible task.
Anything he created should've been Sega's property anyway, right?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Its thanks to this guy that Shade and the other surviving Echidnas from Chronicles can't be used. We could have had whole new characters to use but this guy seems to think that anything related to Knuckles is his. He even believes that Knuckles is his character because of how much he "added to his life".

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Its thanks to this guy that Shade and the other surviving Echidnas from Chronicles can't be used. We could have had whole new characters to use but this guy seems to think that anything related to Knuckles is his. He even believes that Knuckles is his character because of how much he "added to his life".
I remember he had Knuckles forgive his shitty Dad immediately.