• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
I posted this in the other thread, but Jillette said the exact same thing in 2016 during the campaign- he wouldn't discuss details of what Trump said on the set of the Apprentice because 'the stakes are too high and he is an unreliable narrator'.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So he comes across as Penn Jillette then. I mean, he did have an entire TV show that ran for eight seasons where he would literally decry anything he disagreed with politically as bullshit. Even when I agreed with what he had to say (Like the episode he did on anti-vaxxers) it was always clear that the man was pretty self important, given that he felt qualified to preach about such topics because of a background of being a popular magician on the Vegas strip.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was just him trying to say that he hasn't personally heard anything, but believes the stories, while coming across as self-important because that's just who Penn is.
He says he was in the room, confirming he heard it.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
He all but confirmed it. Not sure why people feel he should go "on the record". If he did and mis-remembered it and the tape proved it false or in different context he would get roasted by both sides. Better to let the tape speak for itself.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He confirms, in no uncertain terms, that Trump said racist things while he was in the room. He only refused to give exact details because there's a chance he gets them wrong. Seems perfectly fine.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean who can't vouch that Trump says racist shit? What we want is the tape so people can hear it out of his mouth.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
A multimillion dollar lawsuit is in his future if he draws a line in the sand like that without any proof so

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I actually respect that he won't offer a quote, but he will talk about the content in general. Because if he can't remember a quote, which is not likely to be able to do, he will be labeled a liar.
He might not be able to remember an exact quote, but Penn Jillette is still saying a lot..

'So I can emotionally tell you things that happened racially, sexually, and that showed stupidity and lack of compassion when I was in the room with Donald Trump'

'He would say racially insensitive things that made me uncomfortable.'

'those two hours every other day in a room with him, every ten minutes was fingernails on chalkboard.'

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like he doesn't want to get sued? I don't see what the moral obligation is. If anything the moral obligation is to show the American people the true colors of their President.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
libertarian reflexively defends racist, super surprised

He isn't at all. He confirms Trump said racist things, but just won't give any quotes because memory is faulty. He hated Trump as President, and has been rallying against him since day one. He voted for Clinton in the election. Might be the only libertarian who can say that.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He says he doesn't want to say anything because his recollection may not be 100% and he feels this is too important to mess up.

He even says it's not his reputation he's worried about, he actively scathes Trump in the interview, he just doesn't want to say something that could be found to be inaccurate.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty interesting interview. It's a shame that the only thing people want to pull out of it is "Rawr why won't he give us damaging information on Trump?!"

"This year on Fool Us we had six women magicians working solo. And out of those six, five fooled us. Now the average rate we have for being fooled is 12 percent. But solo women fool us almost 100 percent of the time. The reason for the difference is that there is a way of thinking about magic that doesn't have anything to do with the boys' club. And as much as I've railed against that boys' club, I'm 63 years old and every book I've read, every magician I've seen, is based on the boys'-club way of thinking about magic. Women who were excluded from that club have rhythms and styles and nuance to the way they do magic that I don't understand. And that's great! I've been wanting to see that for 50 years."

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
He isn't at all. He confirms Trump said racist things, but just won't give any quotes because memory is faulty. He hated Trump as President, and has been rallying against him since day one. He voted for Clinton in the election. Might be the only libertarian who can say that.

fair enough, just bitter about literally every other libertarian ive encountered online and off

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to throw Penn under the bus for not wanting to come out and say something that might be worded differently enough that if the truth came out Trump supporters would take the differences in what he remembers and what's on the tapes as a means to discredit Penn's account.

I actually respect that he won't offer a quote, but he will talk about the content in general. Because if he can't remember a quote, which is not likely to be able to do, he will be labeled a liar.

I get where he's coming from. Would you want to go on record about a litigious racist if you didn't have the proof to back it up? It sucks, and he did essentially confirm that it happened which is the best we'll get without hearing or seeing the actual tape.

His moral argument is that he can't say for certain what was said because memory isn't reliable. And because the stakes are very high, he doesn't want to quote anything even remotely inaccurately. If he says something and it can't be proven, or may be proven false, then it becomes ammuniton in Trump's favor.

Exactly. I don't understand why people are jumping on him for this. People get so morally righteous about these things without ever considering how it could backfire and cause more damage than good.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And you all realize what this actually says, right? The making people uncomfortable with language bit was so frequent he can't point to any one instance reliably. Everyone can remember that one time a person said something racist at work. But if it happens every other day, it all blends. And then you wait some years and it's hard to put any specifics down you're confident in. But the racism in what he said constantly was always there. That's a pretty enormous revelation.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
He said he literally was in the room.

Yes, I read the quotes. However, after slinging muck by saying he was in the room when racist, misogynistic things were said, Penn decides he isn't actually willing to go any deeper into what that muck actually was. Which leads me to agree with the post I was quoting...

TBH it sounds more like he doesn't know if he said it or not and just think it's believable that he did. But instead of just saying that, he comes off as a self-important asshole instead.

...that it's a somewhat reasonable possibility that Penn is just saying he feels it's plausible that Trump says such things in a self-important way. Because his excuse that he won't go into detail because of "morality" is, well, bullshit.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Exactly. I don't understand why people are jumping on him for this. People get so morally righteous about these things without ever considering how it could backfire and cause more damage than good.

So you do understand what's going on exactly. Better judge than think.

I mean what would even be the point, if he was willing to go on record saying something specific it does nothing and runs the risk of being proven wrong in some minor way that would be seen as invalidating his account.

What's the real difference between saying he said some bad shit and saying he said this shit in particular probably but I'm not actually sure it was worded exactly like this?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fair enough, just bitter about literally every other libertarian ive encountered online and off

Hey I feel ya, they come off as corporate apologists. I have a buddy that I can discuss politics with but I can't get to watch Dear White People because of its title. It's a slow process :/.

I'm probably more self-righteous than anyone on this forum and I don't see an issue with not offering a quotation. He confirmed that Trump said it. That's enough for me, the quotation is completely pointless and dude doesn't have the tapes either so shrug.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He basically told us everything he knew. Not sure what the point about "morality" is about since he spilled the beans anyway.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I think he just doesn't wanna be a tom arnold where they keep saying this shit exists but don't have anything to back it up

Yeah.

He's basically saying, "I've got no proof of it, but I know based on my experience he said some really fucked up stuff on race, but I can't give an exact quote since it's all from memory so I'm not going to try." (Paraphrasing)

His moral argument is that he can't say for certain what was said because memory isn't reliable. And because the stakes are very high, he doesn't want to quote anything even remotely inaccurately. If he says something and it can't be proven, or may be proven false, then it becomes ammuniton in Trump's favor.

Precisely.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
It also sounds like there is no one memorable incident, but more of a daily routine of stupid shit.

Kind of like now!

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He confirmed what we all know but doesnt have a tape of it. He knows that nobody is going to believe him without a tape. I understand where he is coming from. There are people out there that doubt Comey even though he was the head of the FBI

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Is this more like "Trump said racist shit but Trump supporters watch my show too so I dont wanna say anything"?

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
in all fairness, he's a libertarian and they actually care about lower taxes and only occasionally pretend to care about stuff like racial equality

Oct 27, 2017
I understand where he is coming from. He knows bad shit was said but doesn't want to give ammunition to Trump and Trumpers if one or more details are not completely accurately recalled by him.

Saying that Trump used the N word explicitly would be one of these situations.

He always does come off as a smug dick though.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. If you can't say something with certainty, you probably shouldn't be saying it. He's said enough by highlighting that Trump was racist, sexist and generally disgusting to be around. People going for him because he doesn't want to be drawn in on exact quotes sucks, as it isn't like he is defending him.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
in all fairness, he's a libertarian and they actually care about lower taxes and only occasionally pretend to care about stuff like racial equality

Read the interview. He is for Universal Basic Income, and he says that a Libertarian government might not work. Penn's crazy, and he's the first to admit it. He always implores people to not trust him.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
He doesn't quote but he says Trump said some terrible things. If he gives a quote he'd be under the microscope from both sides, and he probably doesn't remember anyway. I don't see any issue.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think its a moral reason, just seems he has bad recollection.

like you know you had a dream but can't remember the contents of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.