• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't want to get involved in this silly debate but having done analyses of both games, I can say that BOTW is light years ahead of Sword and Shield in terms of rendering technology (and it's a Wii U game); I can forgive it having poor texture resolution and low geometry detail for trees when so much else is happening under the hood. It's harder to make that argument Sword and Shield.

Having said that, Sword and Shield still looks decent for what it's doing and people saying it looks like a 3DS game need to get their eyes checked.
Well there you have it folks.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
And most people were happy. We had these cool new Pokemon such as Wooloo, we had a big wide open area, we had Pokemon in the overworld, we had free camera movement. Most were extremely positive about the games before this whole national dex thing.
Definitely true. But I mean man when they are throwing around the reasoning's for excluding all these Pokemon it just reeks of incompetence, bold face lying, or a lack of resources they SHOULD have.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this thread makes me remember the times of ps3 and looking at at that tree in uncharted 1, in every consoler war thread.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade looks that good because they said fuck all for handheld mode. That's the point. I'm not saying Pokémon looks better but it certainly makes more sense for a series that gives such importance to portable play, and looks pretty good in its own right, which everyone else doesn't wanna accept because of the blind rage for the Pokémon being cut and some tree textures looking bad.
I'm not sure that's the case. The max GPU clock available for portable mode is 460mhz. For whatever reason Xenoblade 2 runs at 307mhz. Performance could be a lot better in the game if they wanted it to be. Perhaps that profile want available to them at the time, given that Torna runs better.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't want to get involved in this silly debate but having done analyses of both games, I can say that BOTW is light years ahead of Sword and Shield in terms of rendering technology (and it's a Wii U game); I can forgive it having poor texture resolution and low geometry detail for trees when so much else is happening under the hood. It's harder to make that argument Sword and Shield.

Having said that, Sword and Shield still looks decent for what it's doing and people saying it looks like a 3DS game need to get their eyes checked.
Thank you. To say that SwSh can even sit in the same room as BotW with its dynamic fire, wind, whatever other effects on top of rendering single blades of grass is ridiculous.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
"The texture of the tree, some fans commented, is a sign that the developers at Game Freak are cutting corners and not taking full advantage of the powerful specs of the Nintendo Switch to make an acceptable looking tree."

Literally lol'd. It's an open world game on pretty much last-gen hardware, and almost every flaw they're nitpicking is also present in BotW. No wonder publishers don't want to show early gameplay anymore. It looks fine.
I dont want to sound hyperbolic, but fucking BOTW and Mario Odyssey looks miles better than pokemon in every department.
And BOTW runs on a wii u

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There are much better looking shots of the game's overworld, but I'm satisfied with how the characters and Pokemon are rendered, the colors are more vibrant than the 3DS games and the models are nice and clean.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It remains to be seen - perhaps we'll be surprised when the new game releases or when we get more information - but I do agree that it feels like they're phoning it in on this entry of the game based on what we've seen. The hardware capability exists to turn Pokemon into a big, sprawling adventure with BOTW-level graphics instead of the mostly-linear handheld game it's been. They do not appear interested in going that route though.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
But I mean man when they are throwing around the reasoning's for excluding all these Pokemon it just reeks of incompetence, bold face lying, or a lack of resources they SHOULD have.

A lot of development teams struggle with developing games these days, it's not just Game Freak. Look at Square Enix for example, they take 10 years to make their games right now. Nintendo themselves have been having issues such as Metroid Prime 4, BotW got delayed twice, AC also delayed, Fire Emblem delayed, Yoshi delayed. Altus have given no updates to SMTV. It's not just Japanese devs either, Bethesda have issues, Bioware have issues, I could go on. Also many games on the Switch have come out with bugs and glitches.

And BOTW runs on a wii u

Which is only a little less powerful than the Switch in handheld mode(the original clocks for handheld). I'm not sure why this keeps being brought up.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The hardware capability exists to turn Pokemon into a big, sprawling adventure with BOTW-level graphics instead of the mostly-linear handheld game it's been.

If they are given 5+ years and 500+ staff to make it sure. Nintendo needs yearly releases to help sell their new(ish) console though.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Because they've been developing 3DS games until 2016 unlike literally everyone else
Was Let's Go not their testing ground? Can management be blamed for pushing to have the anime and everything related to it happen this November including the game? Why didn't they higher more talent and people experienced in HD games?

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of development teams struggle with developing games these days, it's not just Game Freak. Look at Square Enix for example, they take 10 years to make their games right now. Nintendo themselves have been having issues such as Metroid Prime 4, BotW got delayed twice, AC also delayed, Fire Emblem delayed, Yoshi delayed. Altus have given no updates to SMTV. It's not just Japanese devs either, Bethesda have issues, Bioware have issues, I could go on. Also many games on the Switch have come out with bugs and glitches.

Which is only a little less powerful than the Switch in handheld mode(the original clocks for handheld). I'm not sure why this keeps being brought up.
Because while in raw numbers, is true, we have to keep in mind that the cpu is much better, have more cores and GPU tech is far more advanced than the wii u, so the possibilities are far greater. There's more to it than just flops and clocks
And for the record, ii think the game looks great and will buy it on release date

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Was Let's Go not their testing ground? Can management be blamed for pushing to have the anime and everything related to it happen this November including the game? Why didn't they higher more talent and people experienced in HD games?
Let's Go started development after SWSH. They have been hiring for years, if that was enough or not is up to interpretation

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the last recourse of the naive.

There has not been a Nintendo game in existence where graphics have been improved in a remotely noticeable way less than 6 months from release

Every Nintendo game has seen improvements closer to release.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
wz2t6dbkmi431.jpg

All this makes me think of is how BOTW had so many copy pasted trees that arent even rotated to differentiate from each other. Its like comparing one type of ugly to another.

Everyone that doesnt share your opinion, since the lets go days.
Because what you were saying sounded a lot like that. You then decided to drag up the past.

Looks like you're replying to someone I cant see, but I have a few guesses as to who.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
People are going out of their way to find any weak elements to take Game freak to task on

Though don't be fooled dear posters of Era

Its not about the trees. Fan's are pissed about not having all 807 mons available to transfer

Want proof? Go pull the reveal thread for Sword and Shield and see how far people were willing to defend the game BEFORE the bad news hit

Not being petty just found a bit of irony on the whole. Its amazing how the fanbase will flip the script to such an extent when shit hits the fan

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Because while in raw numbers, is true, we have to keep in mind that the cpu is much better, have more cores and GPU tech is far more advanced than the wii u, so the possibilities are far greater. There's more to it than just flops and clocks

I know. It's still not as far ahead of the Wii U as you think (handheld). Certainly not a generational leap, that's for sure.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
People are going out of their way to find any weak elements to take Game freak to task on

Though don't be fooled dear posters of Era

Its not about the trees. Fan's are pissed about not having all 807 mons available to transfer

Want proof? Go pull the reveal thread for Sword and Shield and see how far people were willing to defend the game BEFORE the bad news hit

Not being petty just found a bit of irony on the whole. Its amazing how the fanbase will flip the script to such an extent when shit hits the fan
I never praised the graphics, do I have your almighty blessing to say the game looks like shit and doesn't justify Thanos-snapping away both of my Gen 4 teams?

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Because they've been developing 3DS games until 2016 unlike literally everyone else

I mean Ready at Dawn jumped from PSP games to still one of the best looking games this generation. It was a shite game but it looked nice.

I blame Nintendo moreso as I doubt the budget increased enough to allow the graphical leap it should have had. Same reason Call of Duty has been using the "same" engine until now, 14 years later, people will buy it regardless.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Really? Vastly noticeable improvements 6 months before release?

Surely you all would have no problem providing receipts.
59zpebet5rlz.jpg

Splatoon 2 got a resolution bump from 720p to dynamic 1080p and improvements in lighting and ink effects

Luigi's Mansion comparisons are all over E3 threads

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Where was I being garbage? I asked him what people should do instead. Responding to someone isn't an attack.
He was tweeting about being attacked and the toxicity of the pokemon community and so in response you say as a leader he needs to do more and explain what to do. Like it his fault the community doesn't know how not to be toxic shit heads. Like come on the first comment to his tweet really shows the issues here.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
If they are given 5+ years and 500+ staff to make it sure. Nintendo needs yearly releases to help sell their new(ish) console though.

300 people worked on BotW.

They could be making a game like that in the background concurrent to their annualized handheld style entries.

This thread isn't really about a tree. The tree is just emblematic of the larger issue, that Game Freak are understaffed, probably creatively stifled by the orders from above and the feeling that their products don't go above and beyond and lack ambition.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I know. It's still not as far ahead of the Wii U as you think (handheld). Certainly not a generational leap, that's for sure.
Of course not, but as nintendo themselves already proved, the console is capable of so much more. But is GF first entry, so i believe they will keep improving

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All this makes me think of is how BOTW had so many copy pasted trees that arent even rotated to differentiate from each other. Its like comparing one type of ugly to another.

Looks like you're replying to someone I cant see, but I have a few guesses as to who.

That screenshot is of a Korok seed puzzle where the trees look the same aside from the amount of apples. It serves the gameplay.
Every one, aside from Xenoblade 2, every game has seen improvements in textures and performance.
We have many threads on the subject, go check them.

Xenoblade 2 had big improvements too:

maxresdefault.jpg

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I never praised the graphics, do I have your almighty blessing to say the game looks like shit and doesn't justify Thanos-snapping away both of my Gen 4 teams?

Ill take any bet that this topic would exist if you could transfer any of the 807 pokemon

Look I get it People are mad and want to keep the pressure on and the ball rolling to some end goal

And hell that doesnt mean people didnt criticize the visuals or that its not a valid criticism

but that level of disagreement never left the reveal threads!

Im just calling it like it is man and am somewhat amused by this whole thing

Status
Not open for further replies.