• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this might be the start of the end for Pokemon as a juggernaut franchise. After Detective Pikachu flop and now the bad reception S&S got. The franchise might need to be in more competent hands.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this looks better than FE, tbh. The worst in that still looks better than OoT Tree. And it is really behind BOTW and especially Xenoblade. SwSh was never a looker but the Wild Area in particular looks super bad
No way, FE is pretty ugly even outside the natural environments. It has more detailed character models and that's it.

Oct 26, 2017
No improvement? That I disagree. Improvement that will satisfy fans (not counting those who are demanding the impossible like BOTW level in that time period), eh probably not.

I mean, there isn't enough time to start scaling back and adding graphical improvements (and then further bug/QA testing) before production of the cartridges as well as distribution worldwide.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
It's funny how people have such a hate boner for this game since the news the other day.

I wonder how much cross over there is between the current circlejerk crowd and the lets go hate crowd.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this looks better than FE, tbh. The worst in that still looks better than OoT Tree. And it is really behind BOTW and especially Xenoblade. SwSh was never a looker but the Wild Area in particular looks super bad

This looks significantly worse than basically every other first party title. Fire Emblem makes bank too, but you dont see people making nonsensical ethical claims about how they should be giving back to the gamers because income = altruism. I feel like I should be expecting Deltarune to look like Mario Odyssey.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I think this might be the start of the end for Pokemon as a juggernaut franchise. After Detective Pikachu flop and now the bad reception S&S got. The franchise might need to be in more competent hands.
You're out of your mind if you think SWSH will review badly and won't break sales records.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm not. I'll concede that I was arguably incorrect about a handful of games.

Are YOU going to concede that SS is not going to suddenly look like BotW upon release?

No, arguably no, you were totally wrong.
And nobody is saying that this is going to look like BotW. It just gonna look better.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I mean, there isn't enough time to start scaling back and adding graphical improvements (and then further bug/QA testing) before production of the cartridges as well as distribution worldwide.

They don't start distribution 5 months before. Most games go gold around a month or 2 before release.

Are YOU going to concede that SS is not going to suddenly look like BotW upon release?

They never said it would.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In all likelihood, the E3 demo was an older version so there's probably 1 additional improvement left. I also agree that it is probably going to look mostly the same but there are usually one upgrade between now and release. Won't be enough for most people on this game.

Then again, I actually don't get most of the hate for this particular issue and was told to kill myself in another site for being a shill (which as someone who is probably going to be dead by the end of the year thanks to a shitty liver was very hurtful) so this game is causing me way too much unnecessary stress.

Edit: Meant different site

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
This looks significantly worse than basically every other first party title. Fire Emblem makes bank too, but you dont see people making nonsensical ethical claims about how they should be giving back to the gamers because income = altruism. I feel like I should be expecting Deltarune to look like Mario Odyssey.

I think that looks better than Pokémon.

And what are you going about that last paragraph? Even ignoring that weird stuff, Pokémon and Fire Emblem are not at all in the same ballpark. The Pokémon Company bought in 2 billion dollars in revenue last year.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
So, am I allowed to like or enjoy this game or am I just a shill if I do? Because the way this thread has been going, it seems that if I do enjoy this game (or the 3DS games) I'm either a person who never played the true classics (I've been here since Gen I), a person who is a shill because how dare I enjoy a game other people don't, or someone too stupid to see how this truly the worst game of all time. And quite frankly, it's making me depressed.
I agree with that, I love the 3ds games and I'm liking what we've seen of sword and shield, but because of the massive circlejerk going on, all of a sudden I'm a gamefreak shill that has no taste and has never played a real pokemon game like black and white or HGSS, its just really tiring, so I've started to avoid places that talk about pokemon on the internet.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017

Lol. Detective Picture box office performance isn't really a good indicator of the franchises overall health.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
And you think Sword and Shield won't have similar performance issues? Because knowing GF I would be very surprised if that is true.
We have seen footage of both games, and Pokémon didn't show performance issues while Yokai Watch (which is coming out in a few weeks btw) is a laggy mess in more than one situation.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I think that looks better than Pokémon.

And what are you going about that last paragraph?

Common argument is Pokemon should look like BOTW because the IP is lucrative, while completely ignoring several facts.
ie.
-Its their first Gen on console
-Development times are going to be years shorter
-Nintendo's inhouse devs are the best in the business and have been doing it for generations

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Eh, people did complain about Fire Emlbmes graphics especially with the growing size of the franchise. Once more news came it got drowned out though.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Detective Pikachu didn't flop. It didn't do great nor was the juggernaut people were expecting on this site but flop goes the opposite direction.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Can anyone link some screenshots or videos where the game is supposed to look terrible? I've only watched a little treehouse footage plus the direct and everything looked fine so far to me.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Common argument is Pokemon should look like BOTW because the IP is lucrative, while completely ignoring several facts.

Can't argue that Pokémon could look even better than BOTW if that was Game Freak's vision. They have the money to fund anything they want, it would just be dumb to do so when the current basic artstyle works just as well (and has so many fierce defenders)

Pokémon isn't a franchise driven by director's vision.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Detective Pikachu didn't flop. It didn't do great nor was the juggernaut people were expecting on this site but flop goes the opposite direction.

Let's drop this. Sorry for bringing DP up, it was not related or in-topic.

I just think GameFreak is misshandling the franchise big time and they should take all these reactions as an important metric for change.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
In all likelihood, the E3 demo was an older version so there's probably 1 additional improvement left. I also agree that it is probably going to look mostly the same but there are usually one upgrade between now and release. Won't be enough for most people on this game.

Then again, I actually don't get most of the hate for this particular issue and was told to kill myself in another site for being a shill (which as someone who is probably going to be dead by the end of the year thanks to a shitty liver was very hurtful) so this game is causing me way too much unnecessary stress.

Edit: Meant different site
Oh damn, I hope you're okay :/ Please don't let this get to you and take care of your health, people will always be assholes but try to focus on the positive things the games will bring you.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Re: Games looking better from early showings to release. Yeah, of course. It has happened with those other games, and it will happen with Sword/Shield too. Honestly the E3 stuff already looks better than the reveal back in February. So yes, I am positive that Sword/Shield will look better on release. I don't think that's in question.

What is up for debate is how much better? The problems it currently has would require much larger improvements than the other examples had. Some textures and lighting may be improved. Maybe some of the animation too. But also, it might not. And also it doesn't change the density of the world, pop-in, geometry, etc.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Can't argue that Pokémon could look even better than BOTW if that was Game Freak's vision. They have the money to fund anything they want, it would just be dumb to do so when the current basic artstyle works just as well (and has so many fierce defenders)

I edited that post. But basically several major and extremely unlikely things would have to change for them to have games that even touch said studio's output.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
And nobody is saying that this is going to look like BotW. It just gonna look better.

When people criticize the game for not looking good, they're not just saying it looks a little rough around the edges. I don't doubt there MAY be improvements, but it's safe to say they're going to be around the edges(literally). You're not going to see a night and day difference, which is what the critics are wanting.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think it looks a lot better than FE imo

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Sword and Shield graphics are SUPER rough and after BOTW I don't buy any size excuse

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
When people criticize the game for not looking good, they're not just saying it looks a little rough around the edges. I don't doubt there MAY be improvements, but it's safe to say they're going to be around the edges(literally). You're not going to see a night and day difference, which is what the critics are wanting.
And to a lot of people the game looks good. No need to go crazy with hyperboles like most are doing.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It did as good as Alita Battle Angel, a film majorly regarded as a big flop from an IP no one knew. But that's not in topic so let's drop this. Sorry for bringing DP up, it was not related.

I just think GameFreak is misshandling the franchise big time and they should take all these reactions as an important metric for change.
This isn't the topic for it, but you can't determine flops like that. DP and ABA both had vastly different budgets. DP needed to make a lot less money than ABA, basically. That is partially why ABA is a flop and DP isn't. Markets each one did better or worse in is also a factor. DP's domestic was much stronger than ABA's, which means more money.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Funny, because the critics were incredible excited just a week ago.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm not a Pokemon fan but this game doesn't look like Nintendo first party quality output. Pokemon has always been its own thing, and people never play it for its technical achievements, but this is lacking that stylized polish Nintendo games are generally known for. It's not for me though so I can't judge.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Funny, because the critics were incredible excited just a week ago.
Yeah, this only happened because GameFreak decided to arbitrarily cut out half of the Pokemon in existence and that change isn't being reflected in the quality of the game. I would say 99% of the people angry right now, myself included, would be more than willing to put up with GameFreak's struggles in HD development if we had all Pokemon available. Everytime the game releases screenshots or information it is now filled with the anxiety of people thinking "is my favorite Pokemon going to be cut out of the series for an unknown amount of time?" It overshadows any new Pokemon being revealed, as seen in the case of Yamper and the purple imp thing.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The fact Pokemon has continued to be such a mainstay franchise is directly due to the people in control of it now.

Pikachu didn't flop either.

And i'm S&S will do gangbusters.

Oct 28, 2017
So, am I allowed to like or enjoy this game or am I just a shill if I do? Because the way this thread has been going, it seems that if I do enjoy this game (or the 3DS games) I'm either a person who never played the true classics (I've been here since Gen I), a person who is a shill because how dare I enjoy a game other people don't, or someone too stupid to see how this truly the worst game of all time. And quite frankly, it's making me depressed.
Enjoy the game, block out all the noise. You're not a shill if you like the game, overall it's a good looking game with some really glaring and jarring spots that are most likely going to be fixed upon release. It has a real issue with the cut Pokémon but it's an issue for you to decide for yourself if it would affect your enjoyment of the game. Emotions are running high so discourse is more volatile than usual, but just incase if you need to step away and do something else for your own mental and emotional health, please do so. This post is sincere, no insults intended if I said something hurtful, and if I did apologizes.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a Pokemon fan but this game doesn't look like Nintendo first party quality output. Pokemon has always been its own thing, and people never play it for its technical achievements, but this is lacking that stylized polish Nintendo games are generally known for. It's not for me though so I can't judge.
GameFreak is playing catchup with years of technological advancements they couldn't use in their 3DS games. Meanwhile Nintendo had time to gain experience on the GameCube (slightly more powerful than the 3DS), the Wii (considerably more powerful), and the Wii U (a true generational leap into HD). They'll be in a much better position come the 9th generation, SWSH looks good all things considered.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Fire emblem also looks pretty rough. The crazy part is, I think the majority of Wii U games I played looked better than both. Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3. I'm not sure what games are comparable I guess that Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem game would be the one to compare and maybe Xenoblade Chronicles X

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Something about the artstyle looks off to me, and it's not just the trees. It lacks cohesiveness.

pokemon-sword-shield-dynamax-gameplay-trailer-007.png

It's because it's so flat and textures are low res and stretched. They seem to have really nerfed the wild areas graphics

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

You can bet if Zelda was tied to other media and had a similar production pipeline it would look significantly more modular and low rent. Maybe not to the level of "OoT trees" but still. Especially if said developers were working specifically on handhelds prior.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think some people in this thread aren't really understanding a key thing: This graphics discussion and the one about the missing Pokemon aren't two seperate things or just brought up to shit on GameFreak.
They are linked topics since GF's reasoning for cutting a lot from the core of the series was the increase in quality (of graphics, animations, whatever else we might not have seen yet).

Of course people will look at every detail now, GF invited this sort of scrutiny.
And people just did not find any of these great gains making the tradeoff worth it.
While I think it's a bit silly to compare trees, I do think GF earned itself a bit of mockery. Not the individual people of course but as a development studio.

I'll say it's entirely possible there is something that we don't know about yet, which would make the cut to the Mons themselves worth it. But from what is out there right now, what GF is trying to sell people on their direction with, cutting the core appeal of the series significantly is not worth it for me.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this only happened because GameFreak decided to arbitrarily cut out half of the Pokemon in existence and that change isn't being reflected in the quality of the game. I would say 99% of the people angry right now, myself included, would be more than willing to put up with GameFreak's struggles in HD development if we had all Pokemon available. Everytime the game releases screenshots or information it is now filled with the anxiety of people thinking "is my favorite Pokemon going to be cut out of the series for an unknown amount of time?" It overshadows any new Pokemon being revealed, as seen in the case of Yamper and the purple imp thing.

If you think the new Pokemon were overshadowed, then I feel that you live in a more severe bubble than the era bubble.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
This is where I'm at. I don't even think that the games look bad, but if this is part of the reason we can't have every pokemon coded in? I'd rather it be ugly and have bad animations.

Status
Not open for further replies.