• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
e
i just think it looks pretty thats all 😃
Here is Dragon Quest for Switch
images

004009s030.jpg

look at those beautiful trees 🌳

Now this is an excellent looking game running on the Switch. Remove the character and the horse and replace them with a trainer, and that is literally what I'd hope the new HD Pokémon would look like. Look how inviting that world looks to explore, with its varied topology, foliage density and faraway structures.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
isn't Pokemon aimed at kids? I mean adults can enjoy it for sure, but if it is aimed at kids, should their tastes not be the ones that matter? So, do they care about the pokedex thing and the tree art? And if not, then neither should adults.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It really is an ugly game. Not just from a technical perspective, but the art direction is boring.

When we first heard an announcement for this game, I was really hoping for something more in the vein of Breath of the Wild (considering the scale is so much smaller than that game), or Dragon Quest XI.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Why is it that the "lazy dev" rhetoric is criticized in other threads but people constanly spout it for game freak?

"Lazy Dev" gets shit on a lot here, so much that mods basically police anything close to its mention.

But, this is Nintendo's big holiday release. And somehow it looks like an upscaled 3DS game missing half the features and Pokemon. This should have been something special, like BotW, yet we're getting more of the same but less. It deserves the backlash.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that the "lazy dev" rhetoric is criticized in other threads but people constanly spout it for game freak?

At some point it's a just critic of a developer, Game Freak have been cutting corners and making these games on the cheap for years but they kind of went overboard here and also lied to concerned fans

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Lazy Dev" gets shit on a lot here, so much that mods basically police anything close to its mention.

But, this is Nintendo's big holiday release. And somehow it looks like an upscaled 3DS game missing half the features and Pokemon. This should have been something special, like BotW, yet we're getting more of the same but less. It deserves the backlash.

What are the missing features?

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Is this really necessary?
This isn't a "lazy devs" criticism.

This is more of game freak getting a free pass just cause.

I'm a massive Pokémon fan, have been since the beginning, and have bought every mainline game, but they have been taking us for a ride and they need to get called out for it.

Some fans have just had enough. We want the same growth that basically every other franchise gets.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that is an ugly ass game

The devs aren't lazy but they might be cheap.

edit: I looked up a gameplay video on youtube to put things more into context and it's not THAT bad -- when looking at it as a whole. Has some decent shader work and the characters look decent enough.

It could definitely be better-- particularly the environment art-- but if I wanted to play a pokemon game I'd consider this serviceable.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a "lazy devs" criticism.

This is more of game freak getting a free pass just cause.

I'm a massive Pokémon fan, have been since the beginning, and have bought every mainline game, but they have been taking us for a ride and they need to get called out for it.

Some fans have just had enough. We want the same growth that basically every other franchise gets.

I mean, I was talking more about saying those who currently like the game having little to standards.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I mean, I was talking more about saying those who currently like the game having little to standards.
Someone can still get enjoyment out of something and know at the same time that they probably deserve better than what they're getting.
I'll be getting this day 1, and will enjoy it.

I'll edit my original post as it does sound a bit harsh reading it back..

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like GF focused more on the character models than the world. I wonder if they will work with it more as they finalize the game. I know people are doubting this, but a 3D world of this complexity is well beyond what GF did before.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I mean

When the hate is spreading to people in the community for not hating enough, yeah I'd call it disrespectful and toxic.

That's just fucking dumb. But guess what? A lot of dumb fucking people are voicing their vapid opinion on the internet.
There is no use reducing the discussion to those loudmouthed dumb shits.
Concentrating on them only serves to derail the discussion to the lowest standard imaginable.
Pretty soon anyone having any critical opinion will be labeled a toxic asshole and that is all focusing on assholes does.

Let's not get distracted here, we all lose if the message gets lost along the way.

Personally, I think Serebii has always done so much for the community, just by the site even existing, we should at least lend an ear to him.
Hell, I'm not even really fully part of that community skipping several games until I feel like playing Pokemon again, but the first information I got for Pokemon on the internet years ago was on Serebii.net, and that was before I could even understand a lot of words in the English language.

You cannot deny the guy has been in service of that community for so many years. Yeah, maybe there is a bit of bias there but I'd rather place my bets on someone who has a positive, yet realistic outlook.
I don't get how he's been the target of hate when his first statement was one of disappointment, basically.

I'd describe myself as pretty cynical when it comes to the gaming industry as a whole, maybe even more so when GameFreak is involved. It's important to have people in the community to tell you to calm the fuck down and concentrate on what you are trying to accomplish, instead of going on a rage filled twitter rampage.

At the sam time I don't think these people should be at the center of the argument because it will just diminish every valid point anyone brings up after it in the public eye. And that's what companies look at, right after their numbers.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
That's just fucking dumb. But guess what? A lot of dumb fucking people are voicing their vapid opinion on the internet.
There is no use reducing the discussion to those loudmouthed dumb shits.
Concentrating on them only serves to derail the discussion to the lowest standard imaginable.
Pretty soon anyone having any critical opinion will be labeled a toxic asshole and that is all focusing on assholes does.

Let's not get distracted here, we all lose if the message gets lost along the way.

Personally, I think Serebii has always done so much for the community, just by the site even existing, we should at least lend an ear to him.
Hell, I'm not even really fully part of that community skipping several games until I feel like playing Pokemon again, but the first information I got for Pokemon on the internet years ago was on Serebii.net, and that was before I could even understand a lot of words in the English language.

You cannot deny the guy has been in service of that community for so many years. Yeah, maybe there is a bit of bias there but I'd rather place my bets on someone who has a positive, yet realistic outlook.
I don't get how he's been the target of hate when his first statement was one of disappointment, basically.

I'd describe myself as pretty cynical when it comes to the gaming industry as a whole, maybe even more so when GameFreak is involved. It's important to have people in the community to tell you to calm the fuck down and concentrate on what you are trying to accomplish, instead of going on a rage filled twitter rampage.

At the sam time I don't think these people should be at the center of the argument because it will just diminish every valid point anyone brings up after it in the public eye. And that's what companies look at, right after their numbers.
I've been trying to articulate this, but yeah, you're 100% right. This is beat for beat the same shitshow that let's go discourse was last year and it really feels like no one has learned anything

Status
Not open for further replies.