• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Ohhh I get it. We're at the phase of the hate cycle where our problems with one thing (the stupid transfer system) has given way to us complaining about minor things.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
We don't know how old the build was, we don't know if the trees were placeholders. If it's the same at release then sure but we've already seen improvements from the E3 build compared to the February direct build.

People actually thinking that a developer went into E3 with a build that contains placeholder tree models when a majority of the game has to be finished with how soon its releasing are wild.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Ohhh I get it. We're at the phase of the hate cycle where our problems with one thing (the stupid transfer system) has given way to us complaining about minor things.
When said minor things are the reasons the developers gave for cutting tons of the Pokemon, sure. Why wouldn't that be how this works?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
The complaints about graphical and animation quality have been around since the announcement of Sword & Shield. They're only amplified now because of Gamefreak's reasoning for cutting Poke'mon. And I personally would not quantify the overall quality issues as minor.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The first thing that crossed my mind when the first footage was released:

"This game looks clean, too clean, maybe too simple? What no, this game looks empty"

And the new images didn't change that first impression. Game looks barren and kind of boring. But I guess it can still change before the game releases

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
v0xlqbztti401.jpg

Yeah, whatever. It's clear y'all just gonna hate on Pokémon whatever happens.

I came into the thread to say that Torna(whilst improved) still drops the resolution but whatevs, and yes that is definitely a bad shot(the sharpening filter is more egregious than the res looking at poor Mythra) but that's not as low res as the bridge.

The Switch quite obviously can't handle Torigoth and Alba Cavanich well, and results in this simpler city looking much better.
I also don't see the lack of polygons, everything looks smooth which is obvious when you look at round objects.

I just took as similar shots as I could for Alba Cavanich(for XB2) and Auresco(for Torna) in both docked and undocked. IQ is the only area Pokémon is remotely comparable:
D9NsTxzUEAAlrlx.jpg:orig

D9NsTx2VAAEL3yy.jpg:orig

D9NsTx5UYAEombL.jpg:orig

D9NsTxwVUAAxqJM.jpg:orig

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
"The texture of the tree, some fans commented, is a sign that the developers at Game Freak are cutting corners and not taking full advantage of the powerful specs of the Nintendo Switch to make an acceptable looking tree."

Literally lol'd. It's an open world game on pretty much last-gen hardware, and almost every flaw they're nitpicking is also present in BotW. No wonder publishers don't want to show early gameplay anymore. It looks fine.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade looks that good because they said fuck all for handheld mode. That's the point. I'm not saying Pokémon looks better but it certainly makes more sense for a series that gives such importance to portable play, and looks pretty good in its own right, which everyone else doesn't wanna accept because of the blind rage for the Pokémon being cut and some tree textures looking bad.
Xenoblade still looks great in almost all places when in handheld mode. Even in the areas where there -are- performance issues, it still looks better in every way apart from resolution.

For example:

ayK65lQ.jpg
DPwEcfiX0AEmnG8.jpg

(These are both Undocked screens, if you couldn't tell).

This goes beyond tree textures looking bad. That's just one of the problems. It's not "blind rage".

The complaints about graphical and animation quality have been around since the announcement of Sword & Shield. They're only amplified now because of Gamefreak's reasoning for cutting Poke'mon. And I personally would not qualify the overall quality issues as minor.
Also this.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I came into the thread to say that Torna(whilst improved) still drops the resolution but whatevs, and yes that is definitely a bad shot(the sharpening filter is more egregious than the res looking at poor Mythra) but that's not as low res as the bridge.

I just took as similar shots as I could for Alba Cavanich(for XB2) and Auresco(for Torna) in both docked and undocked. IQ is the only area Pokémon is remotely comparable:
D9NsTxzUEAAlrlx.jpg:orig

D9NsTx2VAAEL3yy.jpg:orig

D9NsTx5UYAEombL.jpg:orig

D9NsTxwVUAAxqJM.jpg:orig
The point is that such IQ in handheld mode is unacceptable for Pokémon and the simpler look works way better in its favor. No shit Xenoblade 2 is better

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade still looks great in almost all places when in handheld mode. Even in the areas where there -are- performance issues, it still looks better in every way apart from resolution.

For example:

ayK65lQ.jpg
DPwEcfiX0AEmnG8.jpg

(These are both Undocked screens, if you couldn't tell).

This goes beyond tree textures looking bad. That's just one of the problems. It's not "blind rage".

Also this.
I don't know why you're trying to convince me that my favorite game on Switch looks better than SHSW. That was never in discussion.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
"The texture of the tree, some fans commented, is a sign that the developers at Game Freak are cutting corners and not taking full advantage of the powerful specs of the Nintendo Switch to make an acceptable looking tree."

Literally lol'd. It's an open world game on pretty much last-gen hardware, and almost every flaw they're nitpicking is also present in BotW. No wonder publishers don't want to show early gameplay anymore. It looks fine.
Sword and Shield isn't open world. It's just an open area.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point is that such IQ in handheld mode is unacceptable for Pokémon and the simpler look works way better in its favor. No shit Xenoblade 2 is better

I don't know why you're trying to convince me that my favorite game on Switch looks better than SHSW. That was never in discussion.
You're moving your goal posts. The last few pages you've been saying how Pokemon looks better and even accused me of trolling. Now you're admitting Pokemon doesn't come anywhere near Xenoblade, when the only thing it has on it is IQ... sometimes, mainly just comparing to handheld mode. Okay, lol.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I doubt anyone would care if Pokémon had Torna-esque image quality if it had a similar level of detail.

It also can't really be said enough that Xenoblade 2 and Torna aren't the gold standard any more when you look at Trials of Mana and Dragon Quest XI S which have better image quality yet don't look dramatically worse in other regards.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
You're moving your goal posts. The last few pages you've been saying how Pokemon looks better and even accused me of trolling. Now you're admitting Pokemon doesn't come anywhere near Xenoblade, when the only thing it has on it is IQ... sometimes, mainly just comparing to handheld mode. Okay, lol.
Pokémon looks better than Xenoblade 2 in handheld mode. For me, that's a fact.
It's also a fact that the reason why Xenoblade 2 looks bad in handheld mode is because it pushes graphics way above the Switch's capabilities, hence why it's one of the best looking games while docked.

It's not rocket science.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be honest here. The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the SnS open world area was Hyrule Field from OOT.
21 years apart.

Oh wow I thought I was the only one lol, I do not like the open field since it feels so empty. Honestly I want a Pokemon game to look like Link's Awakening, find that look to be adorable.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
It's an open world game on pretty much last-gen hardware, and almost every flaw they're nitpicking is also present in BotW.

I really don't want to get involved in this silly debate but having done analyses of both games, I can say that BOTW is light years ahead of Sword and Shield in terms of rendering technology (and it's a Wii U game); I can forgive it having poor texture resolution and low geometry detail for trees when so much else is happening under the hood. It's harder to make that argument Sword and Shield.

Having said that, Sword and Shield still looks decent for what it's doing and people saying it looks like a 3DS game need to get their eyes checked.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
"It looks fine" is the most passionate defense i see for this when gamefreak's own reasoning for cutting Pokémon out is to focus on high quality animation graphics.

I suspect a lot of these animations will look bad too. As evidenced by the horrid walking/turn animations for Pokémon and humans. And all the human characters having the same smiling unchanging horror movie face. And the gameplay for the Wild areas appears to be incredibly bland with no interactivity.

But it looks fine.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't want to get involved in this silly debate but having done analyses of both games, I can say that BOTW is light years ahead of Sword and Shield in terms of rendering technology (and it's a Wii U game); I can forgive it having poor texture resolution and low geometry detail for trees when so much else is happening under the hood. It's harder to make that argument Sword and Shield.

Having said that, Sword and Shield still looks decent for what it's doing and people saying it looks like a 3DS game need to get their eyes checked.
Thanks for being the voice of reason.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I can understand being disappointed with the graphics but to focus your criticism purely on how trees look seems really just complaining for complaining's sake.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon looks better than Xenoblade 2 in handheld mode. For me, that's a fact.
It's also a fact that the reason why Xenoblade 2 looks bad in handheld mode is because it pushes graphics way above the Switch's capabilities, hence why it's one of the best looking games while docked.

It's not rocket science.
It's not a fact. I mean you might prefer the way it looks. But Xenoblade objectively has better just about everything. Again, the geometry, texture work, models, lighting, density... it's all better in Xenoblade.

You're talking purely about the resolution. And regardless, we still have yet to see Pokemon in handheld mode either. What you're doing is comparing docked mode in one game to handheld in another... and the handheld in that other game still looks better apart from pure IQ. When it's docked to docked it's no competition.

Plus...
I doubt anyone would care if Pokémon had Torna-esque image quality if it had a similar level of detail.

It also can't really be said enough that Xenoblade 2 and Torna aren't the gold standard any more when you look at Trials of Mana and Dragon Quest XI S which have better image quality yet don't look dramatically worse in other regards.
This 100%. That is really the whole point.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a fact. I mean you might prefer the way it looks. But Xenoblade objectively has better just about everything. Again, the geometry, texture work, models, lighting, density... it's all better in Xenoblade.

You're talking purely about the resolution. And regardless, we still have yet to see Pokemon in handheld mode either. What you're doing is comparing docked mode in one game to handheld in another... and the handheld in that other game still looks better apart from pure IQ. When it's docked to docked it's no competition.

Plus...

This 100%. That is really the whole point.
Again, no shit everything else is better in Xenoblade. We haven't seen handheld footage yet but there's no reason to think it will hit Xeno's lows in resolution.
And I would certainly care if IQ was bad in handheld mode for Pokémon, it's a handheld series first and foremost and that mode needs to have the priority.
It's also pretty telling that we're even able to compare the two games despite claims that it looks like a PS2 game.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the trees stood out to me from the treehouse footage. I don't think anyone should expect GameFreak to be putting out detailed worlds on par with Breath of the Wild or Xenoblade 2 though.

Oct 27, 2017
People actually thinking that a developer went into E3 with a build that contains placeholder tree models when a majority of the game has to be finished with how soon its releasing are wild.
Placeholder was a poor choice of word, but textures, which are the main problem, regularly are improved throughout the course of development. It's nothing new nor unusual. Not to mention it's clear the demo isn't a final build. There's a Gamespot video where they were flat out told the gym segment, the trainers, their pokemon and all that were created for the demo and battles in it don't even have a background despite there being one everywhere else in the game!

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Sw/Sh isn't open world though. As for early gameplay, the game is literally due out in 5 months.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I remember when Gran turismo got shat on for shitty tree graphics.

I guess this wouldn't be such an issue if the rest of the game looked much better than it currently does.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Placeholder textures, not models. Also maybe they thought that people wouldn't zoom in on a youtube video to point out the quality of tree textures. Especially when the video says game footage was not final.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
pokemon fans criticizing the graphics of a game... i get the outrage over 900 pokemon not being included in the next game, but this is the biggest eye roll a gaming conversation has ever given me.

before e3 i was listening to people tell me it was the best looking pokemon game visually, ever.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Game freak have also made sub optimal games that don't run well or look great. What else is new? The core game is still good. Slow news day.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
pokemon fans criticizing the graphics of a game... i get the outrage over 900 pokemon not being included in the next game, but this is the biggest eye roll a gaming conversation has ever given me.

before e3 i was listening to people tell me it was the best looking pokemon game visually, ever.
The excuse for the cut was that the game would look and animate much better. The discourse happening now is due to people not agreeing with what was shown.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Game freak have also made sub optimal games that don't run well or look great. What else is new? The core game is still good. Slow news day.
When their games had performance issues on the 3DS because of the high quality models people said it was their fault for punching too high. But other first party Switch games having performance issues for the same reason is totally fine.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The excuse for the cut was that the game would look and animate much better. The discourse happening now is due to people not agreeing with what was shown.

Their main 'excuse' was balance (whether you agree with this is besides the point, that is what they said). And also better than what? They were saying that the games would look worse if they had dedicated time to adding the ability of having the national dex.

This whole tree thing is because angry fans are seeing that their #bringbacknationaldex crusade is stalling at best so they are trying to stoke the fire and create more outrage to get it going again. If that doesn't work it will be something else tomorrow.

Rigalo

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
GameFreak has been putting out pretty barren and uninspired Pokemon games for years now, which I believe also fuels a lot of the negativity towards these games. This is a build up that started with X&Y having no/shorter postgame content compared to previous entries, ORAS literally trolled fans who were anticipating the Battle Frontier (lacking postgame), some argue that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are barely improved compared to their predecessors, LGPE was pretty controversial in many aspects (even tho it was my best experience with a Pokemon game in years...) besides constantly cutting content from previous games, introducing fewer and fewer new Pokemon with each entry (which may not necessarily be a bad thing), etc.

I think a lot of fans feel burned by GameFreak and it makes since. Given their output for the last few years it's hard to be optimistic especially when they've already delivered some pretty dour news in not including every Pokemon to date.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their main 'excuse' was balance (whether you agree with this is besides the point, that is what they said). And also better than what? They were saying that the games would look worse if they had dedicated time to adding the ability of having the national dex.

This whole tree thing is because angry fans are seeing that their #bringbacknationaldex crusade is stalling at best so they are trying to stoke the fire and create more outrage to get it going again. If that doesn't work it will be something else tomorrow.

They are currently attacking Joe, so they already found his next target.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's just not doing enough to be a leader/s

Yep, its funny how they show only the tweets where Joe is calling out the toxic part of the community, and they dont show the tweets which are attacking him and saying that he is the worst thing that happened to the Pokemon community.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
People had high expectations due to the new hardware

Doesn't matter - game will still be great as it is and will sell fantastically as well.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I don't really have a problem with how ugly the open area looks. The other areas in the game look pretty nice. Honestly with the whole national dex issue and the animations being the same as the past 3D games I just think GameFreak is not ready for HD development, and doesn't have the proper resources, manpower, and time available to make much larger games and be more on par with current RPG's. Which in all honestly is some bullshit considering Pokemon is one of the most profitable entertainment brands on the planet and their mainline games sell 10+ million every time.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Than don't support it and don't buy it.

I have bought two Pokémon games. HeartGold and the first 3DS one.

I won't buy one on the switch TIL they appeal to me again.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
And most people were happy. We had these cool new Pokemon such as Wooloo, we had a big wide open area, we had Pokemon in the overworld, we had free camera movement. Most were extremely positive about the games before this whole national dex thing.

From what I have seen for myself I am loving it

The National Dex thing never bothers me because I just love playing the game, don't care for transferring or collecting Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.