• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It's hard for me to feel sympathy when so many companies think it's cool to leave people waiting on an answer that isn't coming.

This - I experienced this few years back when I applied to a medical group for a IT position. I did two interviews and the manager said he will send me a document to e-sign for agreement on joining the company and all - it never came....had contacted the manager and the company - didnt pick up, had my school career counselor call the company, no reply from the company.

Someone else from the company called me...6 months later AFTER I found another job asking if I was still interested....their reasoning was they misplaced my file and forgot about me...

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
This just seems rude and immature. I'll never understand why people just up and leave jobs like that. You might hate the workplace but you just leaving without notifying anyone else makes everyone else's job that much harder because now they're short staffed.

So many variables can make this point moot.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So many weird responses.

While I have zero sympathy for the company either, it's not about that.

The professional working community, especially if it's a specific industry, is smaller than you realize.

Burning bridges like this is never smart. Act like a professional. You never know who knows each other.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
This isn't new but its probably more common now that the job market is better. Five years ago or so I was working at a start up and there was a running joke about how we should hire two devs for any new position because half the time the first person either would get a new job while the paperwork cleared or just wouldn't show.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Millennials have a very difficult time with face to face interactions, much less if there may be conflict involved or if they are in any way to blame for the conflict. Anyone who works in the educational system will not surprised by this trend at all.
Wtf at this generalization of an entire group...

Anyway, on the one hand most companies are dicks about employee loyalty, let alone new hire process.
On the other hand its kind of a dick move, how hard is it to wrote an email or make a phone call saying I'm not interested.

Oct 25, 2017

Anyway, on the one hand most companies are dicks about employee loyalty, let alone new hire process.
On the other hand its kind of a dick move, how hard is it to wrote an email or make a phone call saying I'm not interested.
* gets bothered by generalization *
* proceeds to make his own *

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like 90 percent of the interviews I've gone on I've gotten no response afterwards. They never tell me they've pick someone else and never responded to my follow up emails or calls.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So many weird responses.

The professional working community, especially if it's a specific industry, is smaller than you realize.

Burning bridges like this is never smart. Act like a professional. You never know who knows each other.

Yeah, not defending what they are doing, being ignored and lied to by a company but I just moved on.

Never did anything that is mentioned in the OP though - and cant imagine doing it, finding work can be tough especially if you starting out a new career.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
So many weird responses.

No kidding.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I ghosted an interview at Best Buy years ago. Thought I could leave school, go home, get dressed, and make it to the interview... but there was an accident on the freeway and I took like an extra 30 min just to get home. Was no way Id make the interview in time so I just didnt go.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I know, how hard is it for hiring managers to send one email.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my experience, this isn't millennials "fearing conflict", it's that their work conditions and bosses are so shitty that they literally can't be bothered handing in a resignation notice. They see it as an out-of-the-way "considerate" thing to do, that will inevitably be addressed by the bosses with complete disinterest and just stamped or filed or whatever, because they're made to feel worthless.
This is the most millennial thing ever, tbh

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Frankly, companies started it. I haven't had to apply for a job in ages and ages, but I can still remember submitting applications and getting not a word in reply, not even acknowledgement that it had been recieved.

Marjorine

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say maybe 50% of the jobs I didn't get after an interview I never heard squat back. Some after multiple interviews. And of the 50% where I did hear something? It was generally a couple months later where an automated message was sent to me after they closed out the job on their online portal.

So while I wouldn't ghost like that, I get some small satisfaction that some people do. Because these companies brought it on themselves. I had a fantastic phone interview with someone a couple months ago. He emailed me minutes after the phone interview, wanted to know my thoughts on the job description and said he'd schedule an interview right away. Crickets.

I start a new job last week. He emails me saying he wants to move forward. Two months ain't right away. I never responded. Maybe the employers consider me the ghost person.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
I have quit jobs by just saying fk it and not showing up but I don't think that's a good idea .

I luckily have a job atm but I'm always looking for something better. I dont think its fair though that a company can terminate me right away but they want a 2 week notice hahaha not this black millennial

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I'd say that I'd feel bad for these companies, but after being ghosted numerous times after job interviews... nah.

Oct 25, 2017
Millennials have a very difficult time with face to face interactions, much less if there may be conflict involved or if they are in any way to blame for the conflict. Anyone who works in the educational system will not surprised by this trend at all.

This. Students I deal with at work (the very tail end of millennial generation) cannot handle any kind of confrontation in person. They'll not say anything when asked and send me an email (or better yet, get mom and dad to send it) an hour later responding.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It you accept a job offer, then get a better job offer, why not call the first job and saying "match my other offer or I rescind my acceptance"? I find it weird to straight up just ghost the other company try to leverage that shit.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unless it's some dire situation (which I haven't encountered yet) I'll give a two week notice cause most times it's no skin off your employers back and it just makes it harder on your (ex)coworkers. That said it is satisfying in concept for the times that I've been contacted once about a job then never again, or when I'll only hear back on an application I sent in after like eight months.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Three fucking companies in a row ghosted me after apparently successful interviews. Asked me about possible starting dates etc. Then just never responded to any communications again.

And then one of them had the balls to email me a few months later asking if i was still interested in the job.

It ain't just employees doing this bullshit. And it ain't just millennials. Two of them were old farts.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Half our interviews don't show up. One of the last that did verbally agreed, electronically accepted the job offer and then never responded again.

When you have multiple candidates applying to one position, who will actually show up?

Putting in 2 weeks and ghosting (especially services) is frustrating.

Nov 3, 2017
BS-X
I spent nearly 10-some years looking for a "regular" job while working on my YouTube channel wherein EVERY SINGLE POSITION I APPLIED TO GHOSTED ME. Either right away, or after a single interview. If I didn't have revenue coming in from the YouTube channel I'd have been in a terrible position.

I myself made it a point to not "ghost" when I changed from my first job in the post-timeframe to the second time. Amusingly, this is so rare now that it actually makes an impression on people. Gee, I wonder why?

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Everything is driven by resentment these days. People think that if someone treated them poorly in the past, that they are morally justified in treating other members of the same group poorly in the future.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard for me to feel sympathy when so many companies think it's cool to leave people waiting on an answer that isn't coming.

Fucking this. Companies love to never let you know shit. Sorry if I don't feel bad for doing the exact same to y'all (which I haven't, but I mean in general and for those that do, more power).

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Just text them. Young people have this odd thing about confrontation or even phone conversations. Whenever I have an employee no show I text them and get a response 90% of the time.

Idk who this is driving crazy. Probably old people who have trouble changing with the times. It's a minor thing.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
* gets bothered by generalization *
* proceeds to make his own *
I've worked for a lot of companies, and I wouldn't say a single one was good with employee loyalty. They'd rather you quit and hire someone to replace you, than give you a raise. When it would be cheaper to give the raise than setup a new hire process, interviews, on boarding the new hire etc.

In fact, every single significant raise I've gotten has come when I either quit or got fired.

Yes there are companies out there that are good with employee loyalty but I would say they are the exception.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I've worked for a lot of companies, and I wouldn't say a single one was good with employee loyalty. They'd rather you quit and hire someone to replace you, than give you a raise. When it would be cheaper to give the raise than setup a new hire process, interviews, on boarding the new hire.

I'm fact every single significant raise I've gotten has come when I either quit or got fired.

Yes there are companies out there that are good with employee loyalty but I would say they are the exception.
You've had bad managers, or weren't a good employee. Good* management staff understands turnover is the #1 most expensive thing in your labor pool. I work hard to keep people who want to be kept and give annual raises/reviews at a minimum with performance raises as I see them as well. I'm also honest with employees who aren't working hard and tell them straight up they won't make more money if they don't step it up.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah I've had a situation like that where I had multiple interviews waited a week or more for a call back and it got to the point where the person I interviewed with was dodging my calls. I called multiple times, at a certain point I just wanted them to have the guts to tell me that they aren't hiring me but they never answered or called me back.

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
"Ghosting" is already a gaming term, use a different one...

Lo and behold, I come back 3 days ago and it turns out my boss didn't want to hire him and coworker never sent the guy a message at all, thereby ghosting him even when I specifically told him we don't ever do that.
I know it's probably a "small" thing, but man it made me angry. I promised the guy at least a proper answer and he got nothing. Ugh.
I hate that as well. At a previous company, one of the two bosses would do that quite often...and the people waited not just some weeks, but even months.

Oct 26, 2017
I've never done it personally, but I've had a friend ghost his call centre job after he got fed up and couldn't deal anymore.

On the flip side, as others have said I've gotten fairly deep into interviews with companies only to have them go radio silent at the 11th hour. It's a really frustrating piece of an already demoralizing process, if you happen to be long term unemployed

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I could only see myself doing this if they didn't get back to me for an insane amount of time and I found another job during that timeframe

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
It's annoying from both sides of the spectrum, because god knows I've been left hanging after job interviews.

Department I work in hired a guy to work second shift. He shows up for about four days and then just stops coming. Boss eventually gets a text from him that his friend died, he'd be in later. Doesn't show up. We fire him because he missed like six days of work.

Two weeks later he calls still asking if he has a job because he "didn't technically quit."

We were pretty surprised by the gall of that.

He did not, in fact, have a job.