• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck em (the companies). I had an interview for a new job. They didnt show up, I chased them up and they said are you to reschedule, sure. Interview comes 3 people on otherside of the table. 2 of them HR and would be Manager were great very interested in what I had to say etc. The big boss man got hung up on the fact I didnt have Java Certifications, I replied I had a CompSci Software Engineering degree and certifications cost so much for what I already know(500+) . Would be manager also made this clear to big boss. Aced the technical and then got told I wasnt passionate enough.

Get fucked. I chased up them for no showing even tho I shouldnt have. Fuck companies and their shitty interview systems.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Job related: Don't you think it sucks that you have to give your employer 2 weeks notice before quitting but don't get the same courtesy extended to you when they decide to fire you?
Unless they have a justifiable reason to fire you, they owe you two weeks of employment or salary in most civilized countries. In many European countries it's actually more.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Lol I did it a few years ago. I wanted to work a little bit in order to get money for my studies. I did my first day, it was fuckin horrible, like really. They treated me like shit, worst day of work I have ever had, so I didn't came the day after. I didn't called them, nothing.
A few days after I went there to get my money for the only day I did lol they were not happy I said nothing I was just waiting for my money, not saying sorry or anything.
I'm not really proud of it, I would not do it again (I was 18 years old), but I don't regret it, fuck them lol.

Right after that, two of my friends tried to get the job since they were kinda desesperate at the time, it was an hard time to find a job in France. (It still is, but it was really hard for them back in 2012/2013, now they do have a job)
The recruiter (that didn't knew at all that they were my friends) just didn't liked the face of one of them and just talked to him like shit during the interview and said in the end "we'll call you if we want you... but if I were you I would not expect to get that call".

And for the second one, his first name is Sofian but his last name is french. So the interviewer asked him "are you an Arab ?". Important to note that it was right after the terrorist attacks perpetuated by Mohammed Merah in 2012 in Toulouse... Like I said, fuck them. 0 regrets.
Isn't it illegal in France to ask about your religion at an interview? Which doesn't mean they won't do it, but when they're being shitty and you know it's not leading anywhere, it's nice to say "you just asked me something illegal, is that your company's standard?".

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Job related: Don't you think it sucks that you have to give your employer 2 weeks notice before quitting but don't get the same courtesy extended to you when they decide to fire you?

As someone who got laid off in October for no job related reason, yes it sucks. Didn't even get any severance. Basically they got rid of most of leadership to save costs.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Isn't it illegal in France to ask about your religion at an interview? Which doesn't mean they won't do it, but when they're being shitty and you know it's not leading anywhere, it's nice to say "you just asked me something illegal, is that your company's standard?".
Yeah but he asked him if he was arab, not if he was muslim (even tho you are right : he clearly wanted to know if he was arab because, for this motherfucker, arab = muslim and muslim = terrorist...), so I guess it's not really illegal to ask that during an interview...

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

The two week notice thing is a courtesy, not a requirement, though. At least not in any state I've worked. So you don't have to do that. And there are companies out there that don't fire you on the spot, but give you severance or a grace period even when not required by law, partially because they don't want a bad reputation with potential employees. So there are some that are courteous back.

Obviously if the company is in financial trouble or something, you're not getting much of that. Though I was in a situation where a company was on the brink of shutting down and instead of just bleeding it to the end, they let employees off gradually with the money they had left.

Exto

Jan 2, 2019
Lol

"lazy"

So you're saying employees owe companies and it is laziness the why they ghost the job?

So companies can just fire you out of the blue, but you have to give them notice?

I've been fired because I gave a 2 weeks notice.

Yes exactly, lazy and unprofessional. I understand that you are bitter and but "ghosting" to get back at them is a very "lazy" and petty thing to do.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Most companies I've applied to have ghosted me once they're not interested. It sucks.

But I've always made sure to show the courtesy of letting people know I'm not interested or if I'm quitting.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yep. I know a guy that said he was leaving, used up a floating holiday because he wouldn't get paid for it and bounced. A legend.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Yes exactly, lazy and unprofessional. I understand that you are bitter and but "ghosting" to get back at them is a very "lazy" and petty thing to do.

True laziness is generalizing an entire generation based on what your dad said about you and preconceptions. Intellectual laziness is still laziness, you lazy ass.

Rollerskates

Oct 29, 2017
We recently had a new hire ghost us. First he asked for an extra 2 weeks before starting. Then, despite confirming he was coming in on a Monday, dude just never showed up.

This was a middle aged guy and a high paying senior role!

Dude had the nerve to ask a week later if he could still have the job. Uh... No.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
This. If you're not going to interview, at least have the curtesy to say you are pursuing another candidate. I know a lot of "openings" are fully intended for someone on staff already and the posting is just a formality. Doesn't mean you should ignore real human beings giving you some time out of their life.

pss......the HR ain't gonna to reply and ping 50+ personnel on why they were rejected.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I've only ever done this if the job listing is clearly a scam and I realize after I've agreed to an interview. I've had one or two cases where MLM-type stuff contacted me over the years and then I research it and realize it looks like a scam - I've learned it's best not to formally cancel with those kinds of things because they can get aggressive.

Can't imagine doing this for an actual job you were hired for though.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
They fired my coworker 2 days before Christmas after obviously stringing him along for the Holiday rush, but yeah let me feel bad for my boss because he doesn't get an immediate response from a potential hire.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Also, fuck those who say they only spend 5 second in each resume and avoid cover letters.
Cover letters should just let HR know what position is being applied for. However there are too many cover letters that are novellas telling the potential employee why they are so great and should get the job. Got the experience they want on the resume you'll get shortlisted, they are not going to ponder over each resume and have long discussions over them. They just want someone in the role.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you wouldn't ask this question if you even ever work in (or with) a HR department of a decent sized corporation.

HR wouldn't ghost people if they had ever been ghosted.

I've been in the final two candidates multiple times and HR still didn't contact me. Time isn't the problem. Any decent sized corporation would be able to send out form rejection levels if they had an ounce of empathy.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

this is where you lost the plot..

i am not saying HR shouldn't have empathy. However, the onus is on you to expect most HR have empathy at all.

Here's the thing: An employer, a corporation, a company....they aren't your friend. Employee was hired based on the basis of 'mutual transaction'. The employee providing a skills/labor that the employer needs/wants in which the employer pays the employee the agreed terms. The HR of an employer was the facilitating department setup solely to handle employee matters FOR THE EMPLOYER.

I am not sure what colleges have been teaching undergraduates nowadays but i think the first thing they should teach undergrads before they look for a job is to take things less personal and don't expect to 'change the world' like those silicon valley recuiting ads.

Again, i must add. I am not saying these 'apathetic' employers and society is right. I am just saying it as what it is.

All of us wants the world to be full of rainbows and unicorns and glee. But we must also acknowledged that the world is most definitely NOT full of rainbows and unicorns and glee and also NOT take things too personal.

The correct approach is to move on instead of harboring even an inch of negative emotion and question why doesn't the HR send a rejection notification.

Shrubchicken

User Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Western Michigan
I try not to ghost employers, but too many of them want to play games and expect me to wait until it's convenient for them. Too many times I've been expected to work through injuries or apologize for being on the receiving end of racism in front of a boss. In those cases, I'll turn in my badge and let them know what's going on but I'll be damned if I give them any time to replace me.

Respect is a two-way street and it's time that employers learn that fact.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I have never ever received any notification if my application hasn't been approved.

Employers need to start respecting the applicants first, then we can talk.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
this is where you lost the plot..

i am not saying HR shouldn't have empathy. However, the onus is on you to expect most HR have empathy at all.

Here's the thing: An employer, a corporation, a company....they aren't your friend. Employee was hired based on the basis of 'mutual transaction'. The employee providing a skills/labor that the employer needs/wants in which the employer pays the employee the agreed terms. The HR of an employer was the facilitating department setup solely to handle employee matters FOR THE EMPLOYER.

I am not sure what colleges have been teaching undergraduates nowadays but i think the first thing they should teach undergrads before they look for a job is to take things less personal and don't expect to 'change the world' like those silicon valley recuiting ads.

Again, i must add. I am not saying these 'apathetic' employers and society is right. I am just saying it as what it is.

All of us wants the world to be full of rainbows and unicorns and glee. But we must also acknowledged that the world is most definitely NOT full of rainbows and unicorns and glee and also NOT take things too personal.

The correct approach is to move on instead of harboring even an inch of negative emotion and question why doesn't the HR send a rejection notification.

The summary I'm getting from this post is that it's shitty, entitled, emotional, and wrong to ghost on an employer even if it will never hurt your career, and that it's shitty, impersonal, wrong, but expected for employers to ghost on applicants because it saves them time and them's the breaks.

How is this convincing? "Conform to societal expectation just because" doesn't work anymore - any good employer should know that. What if the ghosting isn't coming from a place of emotional vengeance, but a similar detachment? Employees who simply don't care about inconveniencing HR any longer because they realize there are no expectations of politeness and there are no consequences, and with time = money there is no good reason to go through the motions for a job that's not the right fit.

If you're going to appeal to cool-headed logic, there has to be a logical reason for employees to extend courtesy to those they know will not do the same.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My friend has done this like three times. Once as a security guard for a company. I lambast him every time. It's called two weeks notice and then you don't burn the bridge like and insane person. I genuinely don't understand what is wrong with them.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm guilty of this actually. I got a new job but I was a wreck at the time, and when I was on my way to work my first day my anxiety and depression kicked in real hard so I just walked back home and never showed up.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still waiting for like 10 companies to tell me why they didn't hire me so if people wanna ghost their jobs, it's their prerogative.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
The summary I'm getting from this post is that it's shitty, entitled, emotional, and wrong to ghost on an employer even if it will never hurt your career, and that it's shitty, impersonal, wrong, but expected for employers to ghost on applicants because it saves them time and them's the breaks.

How is this convincing? "Conform to societal expectation just because" doesn't work anymore - any good employer should know that. What if the ghosting isn't coming from a place of emotional vengeance, but a similar detachment? Employees who simply don't care about inconveniencing HR any longer because they realize there are no expectations of politeness and there are no consequences, and with time = money there is no good reason to go through the motions for a job that's not the right fit.

If you're going to appeal to cool-headed logic, there has to be a logical reason for employees to extend courtesy to those they know will not do the same.

The logic is simple. Employers & employees are not on equal standing.....

Again, im not saying it's 'right'. Im saying it's what it is.

Oct 27, 2017
Your blatant double standard doesn't bother you at all?

Not really. Why would you hire anyone who you thought wasn't going to show up? It makes absolutely no sense.

I don't really see it as the same thing anyway. If a company had a reputation for offering positions, only for you to turn up on day 1 for them to say "oh BTW lol you actually don't have a job, please leave" then fuck no I would not work for them. But a courtesy call from HR, yeah I can survive not getting one, as poor form as that is.

Last edited:

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The logic is simple. Employers & employees are not on equal standing.....

Again, im not saying it's 'right'. Im saying it's what it is.

This ebbs and flows. When jobs are scarce in your field employers have the power to be picky, when jobs are plentiful they rightfully have to do better to attract good candidates.

My employer is facing that reality at this very moment (not from me, but in attempting to fill several crucial roles). When people start openly asking why it has taken 6-12 months to fill a roll when we are shorthanded, it reflects poorly on HR and the company in general.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Not really. Why would you hire anyone who you thought wasn't going to show up? It makes absolutely no sense.

I don't really see it as the same thing anyway. If a company had a reputation for offering positions, only for you to turn up on day 1 for them to say "oh BTW lol you actually don't have a job, please leave" then fuck no I would not work for them. But a courtesy call from HR, yeah I can survive not getting one, as poor form as that is.
It's just rather weird that you hold employees to higher standards than employers.

Your example is also a blatant false equivalence. What is cited in the article is applicants not responding to employers during the application process, ie before an offer has been made, which is exactly what employers have been doing to applicants without being held accountable for ages.

What you're saying is that you're extremely bothered by applicants not responding to employers during the application process but you're not that bothered by employers not responding to applicants during the application process.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
If you ghost a employer by leaving without notice how is that going to reflect on you when your new potential employer calls your old one asking how you were as an employee. If you don't list that prior employer then you have a potential long time period to explain why you weren't working. It just doesn't seem like a smart move. Surprising how many people are encouraging it, just because some employers are shitty doesn't mean you have to be shitty too. You are more likely fucking over your ex fellow employees more than the employer. So congrats I guess.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I don't blame them.

I'm a graduate and was excited for a job offer that was presented to me. Switzerland, good pay, really nice job and I did the technical test. Even thought the technical test didn't go that well, the guy still called me and saying they liked me anyway and wanted to schedule another call to get more into depth for the position. He said "This Wednesday at 4 pm, is it good?", I was like yeah of course.

Never heard from him again. This was a really nice experience for the first job offer lol

Since then I've been applying for internships, other positions. Some like MS and Toyota sent me an email saying I was rejected, even if its an automatic answer. But most of them just don't say anything.

But the worst offender, oh my... We schedule a first interview, they call me to say something happened and we have to reschedule it. Ok, second time they call to say something else happened and we have to reschedule it again (at this point I was wondering if I was being mocked). Third time, the interview finally happened... but they got there 30 minutes late. Not only that but I was disrespected and made fun of during the whole interview by the managers. I felt humiliated and I was certain I wouldn't pass. I did, and they called me to see if I wanted the position. Some people are super shitty.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After so many HR jerks bragging about not reading cover letters, or just glancing at resumes for five seconds I am happy this is happening, those people suck at their jobs.

Once, a company made me take days off three times to interview me. They canceled every single time the same morning, and it never happened. Not only did I not get a job, I lost a lot of money in the process.
We often get thousands of reumes for a job in software development, so reading cover letters would be too time consuming.

As for cancelling interviews, it's not the Recruiters doing that, it's the hiring managers who can't get their shit together and block time off of their calendars

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
If you ghost a employer by leaving without notice how is that going to reflect on you when your new potential employer calls your old one asking how you were as an employee. If you don't list that prior employer then you have a potential long time period to explain why you weren't working. It just doesn't seem like a smart move. Surprising how many people are encouraging it, just because some employers are shitty doesn't mean you have to be shitty too. You are more likely fucking over your ex fellow employees more than the employer. So congrats I guess.
Where there are laws governing what can be asked and said. And yes people try to
get around these laws and try to use other ways, but a lot of companies have policies preventing employees from saying too much due to the ability to get sued. They'd just rather not deal with that shit.

In general mostnew employers just call to confirm you actually worked where you said you did. However listing someone as a referral is a different story.

Frankly you are under no obligation to give a two weeks notice or pretty much any notice. Its a bullshit made up thing, and any company not willing to hire someone because they didn't give notice at their previous position is kneecapping themselves.

Hell a lot of people land new jobs before even leaving yheir previous so notice is pointless