• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
In the slow world of newspaper comic strips, controversy has erupted because the 80 year old comic Nancy has changed and boy howdy are people upset about it:

But also, Jaimes has spent the last week adding things like "smartphones" and "video games" to the Nancy world, all of which are changes, and nothing riles up a comic page audience like the dreaded specter of change. Thus, the first week of Jaimes' tenure on the strip has seen its GoComics comments pages erupt into flames, with the various verbal fighters more pissed off about the art changes on a Nancy comic strip than most of us get when someone drives over our mom. "You make me feel like dropping this comic strip because it ain't even close to funny," one writes, while another notes, "I just can not get into the new Nancy..just not what I enjoy reading with my breakfast. Bye, I will unfollow this comic." "Guy Gilcrest(sic), where are you?" a third demands, beseeching the comic strip gods for the return of the comic's previous artist.

This is what's new:

DbGanavV4AA0-uC.jpg

DbGanazU8AAnMuP.jpg

The strip has, suddenly, gained a sense of humor. Imo, Nancy sucked, but I find it interesting that people are screaming at each other about an 80 yr old comic. Change is bad I guess.

https://news.avclub.com/its-2018-and-people-are-suddenly-screaming-at-each-oth-1825376287

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
On one hand, implementing radical changes like that in such an old comic almost immediately is kinda weird so that reaction is expected, considering the target demo

On the other hand, lol wtf she's just winging it

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird seeing that character design talking about stuff like the internet.

Oct 29, 2017
Even in its attempt to modernize this feels outdated.

The second strip posted is mostly a "the Internet" (pronounced with a hard T) joke you'd see on the early 00s.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Part of me says that 99% of newspaper comics readers are old people who don't get the jokes.

On the other, I unironically follow Dick Tracy and read Funky Winkerbean (for snarking purposes) and Comics Curmudgeon every day. So.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the facial expression this Nancy character has in the third panel of the Bots comic.

Like, holy shit. What a perfect I hate you so much right now look.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea Nancy still existed. The new strips aren't half bad. Is Wizard of Id still kicking around?

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
Is it out of character or has the comic always made witty remarks towards "those newfangled things"?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Weird, never in my life have I heard of this comic. I use to read the comics from multiple papers every night before bed from the time I was like 4 or 5 to like 16 or 17.

No issue with these new ones, looking at the older stuff doesn't seem that out of line, just more topical and politically biting.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I read these yesterday and I love them

It feels like a webcomic died and it's spirit took over the shambling corpse of a newspaper comic

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The bots strip feels pretty topical and funny.

I approve.

I read these yesterday and I love them

It feels like a webcomic died and it's spirit took over the shambling corpse of a newspaper comic
I thought the same thing and it made me think of other old strips handing the reigns over to web comic artists and what fresh ideas they could come up with. I know fans would feel it's blasphemous, but cartoons that are decades old have handed over characters to fresh new creators to do something different and it can work with great results.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck em. Newspaper comics(and well, newspapers)are dead because editors spent all their time listening to 89 year old blowhards from Omaha instead of adapting with the times.

kristoffer

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
Nice, it's now a comic about online-centric people who are lazy and have other poor personality traits! "Ha ha, I do that!" Really needed one more of these.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
these are really great and do a good job of keeping the sort of dry/cute sense of humor of the originals while also clearly being self-aware about the cult of surrealist nancy fanart stuff that sprang up with zine and early internet culture in the '90s/'00s

nancy's very different from what you'd consider the top-tier classic comic strips of the twentieth century (peanuts, calvin & hobbes, the far side) in that instead of being fairly timeless it's *incredibly* dated so you might as well be aware of that fact and play with it and turn that self-awareness into an asset

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I never found these comics funny back then nor now. I just can't get newspaper comic humour, what is wrong with me?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are also mostly mad because the new artist hasn't put in Nancy's busty caretaker.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The fact it's in that same dry, retro style really gives it a unique flavor.

I approve. More new Nancy.

adrem007

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
These are terrible, but people here will eat it up because fuck them old farts am I right