• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Do you have teens? Good luck trying to tell them what to do. Go tell their parents to force their kids to stay inside.

People can go out for a walk.
The funny thing is, people always accuse kids these days with being glued to their phones and not having face to face social interaction with their peers, and now with this pandemic going on, being glued to their phone and not having face to face social interaction would be for the best forever one.

Yōkai_0h-No

Nov 20, 2018
the wolves are back, and they're pissed
source.gif

giphy.gif

source.gif

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
We have mostly been going out in the backyard and for walks around the block where there is no foot traffic that can't easily be avoided. We are definitely staying away from parks or trails that get a lot of people, which has been a bummer for our two year old, but we are managing.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
He is describing people who are NOT practicing proper social distancing.
Once again, rural.

I assume the majority of the people on the forum live in urban areas? That's not how it is here, and I assume it's this way for the majority of the country. People are generally keeping their distance.

Unfortunately it's the kids that appear to be the major problem.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
I don't live in NYC. People apparently don't understand the definition of "rural". With the exception of teens people are generally doing a good job at social distancing, there are just a lot of people outside.
If a large fraction of people are mingling between groups, it's breaking the "social distancing" that other people are doing. People need to isolate as much as practicable, to minimize transfer of cases between households and help this whole thing become more trackable.

It doesn't matter how "rural" it is if kids and teens are mingling.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Once again, rural.

I assume the majority of the people on the forum live in urban areas? That's not how it is here, and I assume it's this way for the majority of the country. People are generally keeping their distance.

I can't with this. Jesus Christ.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Once again, rural.

What does rural have to do with any of this? People are calling out the teens here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Last weekend I saw people in Seattle at the park playing contact sports with their kids and riding bikes together. Look I get that Seattle spring is gorgeous but GTFInside!

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
He's describing what he is observing for good or bad, there is nothing he can do about it. Are you yelling at everybody that doesn't practice social distancing?
What are you missing here? I'm yelling at him for what HE doesn't understand, not about what he can or can't do about the people he observed. He needs to understand this, because everybody needs to understand this right now. It's kind of important.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Once again, rural.

No matter how rural it is, the kids are still massing together then going back to their families lmao

Of course nothing you can do about it unless you get that megaphone and hop on a bike.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I've been hearing way too many anecdotes about people in different countries/cities reporting seeing more people out and about than usual at certain spots. And it's not just children.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Era is going to cancel nature now.

Good luck keeping all the teens inside that are out of school, especially those that live in small town rural America. I'm sure you do as well with your own kids.
I live in a town of less than 20,000 people. We are in lockdown conditions. The Police are moving people on.

It sucks.

It's what's needed right now.

Again, this isn't a holiday for anyone, do no treat it like one.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
What are you missing here? I'm yelling at him for what HE doesn't understand, not about what he can or can't do about the people he observed. He needs to understand this, because everybody needs to understand this right now. It's kind of important.
Well I pretty sure he's heard it now and getting upset on a message board will not change anything so it's a fool's errand. A LOT of people are not taking social distancing seriously.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Once again, rural.

The pandemic also affects rural areas.
As someone said, it only takes one mistake to infect an entire community.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Well I pretty sure he's heard it now and being getting upset on a message board will not change anything so it's a fool's errand. A LOT of people are not taking social distancing seriously.
I'm aware of it,. The adults are doing a good job. I just get the sense that everyone complaining about the kids doesn't have any of their own or are kids themselves.

I can tell my 16yr old to stay inside until I'm blue in the face but in the end if he decides to go out and hang with friends there isn't much I can do.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can tell my 16yr old to stay inside until I'm blue in the face but in the end if he decides to go out and hang with friends there isn't much I can do.

I'm not a parent, but.. surely there must be a way to get him to understand? Show him what is happening in the world, and how it is happening.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Good luck keeping all the teens inside that are out of school, especially those that live in small town rural America. I'm sure you do as well with your own kids.
Once again as others have been saying:
Considering a large amount of entire countries are under lockdown a number of parents are managing to get their teenagers to respect lockdown rules, yes.

That said the issue is with the groups as you described, not individuals wanting to go outside for a walk in a local area (assuming people aren't travelling distances to it).

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Once again as others have been saying:
And I'm telling you this is rural Ma, the people out are townies. There is no lockdown here- there is a "stay at home" order and people are allowed to go out for a walk.

You are free to come to Ma and go to every single rural town and stress that people need to avoid social contact. I'm sure this is the case for most of rural America.

I'm done here.

Oct 27, 2017
I go on the allowed walk every day in San Francisco. I pass the beach on my walk and they are packed with people hanging out on the beach. Unreal

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
And I'm telling you this is rural Ma, the people out are townies. There is no lockdown here- there is a "stay at home" order and people are allowed to go out for a walk.

You are free to come to Ma and go to every single rural town and stress that people need to avoid social contact. I'm sure this is the case for most of rural America.

I'm done here.
For a third time; the issue isn't with individuals wanting to go out for a local walk it's with the groups as you described. If it's people from urban environments travelling to rural and/or isolated communities / spots near to them then that would also be an issue.

It shouldn't be surprising that people are pointing out that among millions locked down across entire countries that yes, there are parents that are managing to get their children to respect lockdown. In the UK your son would have to explain to the police for himself why he was outside with his group of friends. It might not be that severe in terms of mandated requirements where you are but treating it seriously before it gets to the point where you need to is a point in trying to prevent it from getting that far. Again, going out for a walk in your local area isn't the issue it's the mingling and grouping you describe that's been seen as the problem.

No one is saying it's easy, but we're also not talking about your average Thursday where your child (or anyone else's, for there's a reason his friends are out) wants to see his friends.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Isn't it your responsibility to make sure that your 16yo is aware that we are currently suffering a pandemic, and that he can 1) get infected or 2) spread the infection and possibly cause multiple people to require hospitalization?

These are special times. Surely there must be a way to get him to understand? He shouldn't be hanging out with other kids.

I don't understand your comment regarding 'cancelling nature', it just makes me think you are trolling.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
OP, I live on a mountain where I can only see like two houses from my yard, and if I saw lots of people outside right now I'd still be alarmed.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of all the times to rediscover nature! >:v Meanwhile I can't even go out to work and with no savings...
Hopefully, they live in a country with a sound health system at least 🙄

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I'm starting to think the vast majority of users on reset era only live in huge urban environment? I spend all day today skateboarding around my town in Oregon and have not come within twenty yards of any one, and that's how it always is here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, lots of people going for walks, riding their bikes, and enjoying the local parks.

My roommate just went out to play disc golf at the park that is a little south of here.

I went to the duck pond and fed peas to some ducks.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm starting to think the vast majority of users on reset era only live in huge urban environment?

The vast majority of everyone only live in large urban environments. But that's somewhat definitional.

It's definitely true that it's better to have people not solely confined to their houses but still respecting the social distancing rules than forcing them inside all the time. Same thing with trying to keep people from going to the stores, getting food from restaurants (take-out/delivery of course). Fetishizing the indoors just promotes hoarding and cabin fever. Better to have people moderate their outside time, because they can't keep themselves free of exposure to the rest of the world anyway.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with some people going out for walks/runs, but groups are certainly a bad thing. I don't think the op meant harm with this thread.

Magni

I'm aware of it,. The adults are doing a good job. I just get the sense that everyone complaining about the kids doesn't have any of their own or are kids themselves.

I'm a parent. If you can't tell a 16 year old why he should not meet with his friends right now, you're either not trying hard enough or not doing a good job at explaining why.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with some people going out for walks/runs, but groups are certainly a bad thing. I don't think the op meant harm with this thread.

In many states that are under state wide stay at home orders, national parks remain open and city parks are extending their hours, as many people are exercising outside in lieu of gyms being closed. As long as people are practicing proper social distancing, exercising outdoors seems to be well within the rules~

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
My state waived the fee of all park entries for the duration of our lock down and is encouraging people to go to these parks soo.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
In many states that are under state wide stay at home orders, national parks remain open and city parks are extending their hours, as many people are exercising outside in lieu of gyms being closed. As long as people are practicing proper social distancing, exercising outdoors seems to be well within the rules~
Even Dr. Fauci goes on long walks outside. I understand the need to be safe, but being outside AT A SAFE DISTANCE has to be one of the healthier things you can do. It's not like a store where the germs will linger in an isolated area.